• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakara

Ballistik said:
Beast on insane was way too easy. We were a party of five Gaffers, did the 12 waves without dying on our first try. It was like 17 mins and I didn't even need to use any of the last tier guys. Went by that fast!

Beast is a time trial run. It's all about being as fast as possible, not just simply completing it.

Addnan

Gonna leave all CTL medals until the very end. The mode is so boring, wonder if there will still be enough players online playing CTL in a years time?

Oh well, can always do bots.

Acidote

How can I see what chapters have I completed in arcade insane 4 player coop? I soloed the game in insane and 4 cooped it in normal so the indicators in the chapter selection are already marked.

Addnan

Acidote said:
How can I see what chapters have I completed in arcade insane 4 player coop? I soloed the game in insane and 4 cooped it in normal so the indicators in the chapter selection are already marked.
I don't think you can, but theres no medal for completing it in 4 player insane aracde as far as I know.

Acidote

Addnan said:
I don't think you can, but theres no medal for completing it in 4 player insane arcade as far as I know.

No there isn't, but I want to, and I need to know my progress in single insane arcade too.

zlatko said:
But what about dem games from now till then? What bout that Uncharted 3 on Nov1st? :O

Gears 3 is on the back burner for me. I did Rage, Dark Souls, and this Tuesday will be Batman. After Batman is BF3, and then November is just too much shit to list for me to care about DLC that doesn't add maps in ranked MP lol. :p

Same. Took a break from Gears for a minute (and I haven't even played nearly as much as some in here :p)

Had to finish Assassin's Creed Brotherhood before AC: Revelations, then Arkham City, then Battlefield 3, then Uncharted 3, then Skyrim, then MGS HD Collection, then Black Friday for PC parts, more games, and Blu-Rays...Then I'm in debt and will get back to Gears in December.

Jrmint

Ballistik said:
Beast on insane was way too easy. We were a party of five Gaffers, did the 12 waves without dying on our first try. It was like 17 mins and I didn't even need to use any of the last tier guys. Went by that fast!
Yup our group had an easy time as well. Trenches ftw.

I said this to them and I'll say it here too, the Grenadier Elite is the most underrated of the Beast characters you can use. He was all I used on the final wave and I finished with the highest points. The gnasher absolutely wrecks the Cog and his grenades will down like half the Onyx guards for your team to clean up.

zlatko

Banned
Jrmint said:
Yup our group had an easy time as well. Trenches ftw.

I said this to them and I'll say it here too, the Grenadier Elite is the most underrated of the Beast characters you can use. He was all I used on the final wave and I finished with the highest points. The gnasher absolutely wrecks the Cog and his grenades will down like half the Onyx guards for your team to clean up.

I used Digger Boomer. He fucked shit up lol. I just used the Retro Lancer dude until I could unlock regular boomer, then I did digger boomer rest of the way. I had two buddies and I just let them do w/e. They seemed to both focus on the little metal centipede dudes towards the end, but I was just mauling everything up left and right on trenches. Beat insane with just us 3 no problem.

Montresor

I kinda wish the medals and executions couldn't be boosted offline with bots. I've been working towards a lot of these online and yeah it feels great to finally get 40 scorcher kills but at the back of my mind, I'm always thinking, meh, it's not that impressive.

I LOOOVE getting medals though. I hit 100 hammerburst kills online, and that got me 3 medals in one shot! I got the Bronze Hammerburst medal (for 100 kills with the hammerburst), and the Bronze Rifleman medal (for bronzing all three starting rifles) and the Bronze Master-At-Arms medal (for bronzing all five starting weapons). So much exp in that one match.

Brakara

Montresor said:
I LOOOVE getting medals though. I hit 100 hammerburst kills online, and that got me 3 medals in one shot! I got the Bronze Hammerburst medal (for 100 kills with the hammerburst), and the Bronze Rifleman medal (for bronzing all three starting rifles) and the Bronze Master-At-Arms medal (for bronzing all five starting weapons). So much exp in that one match.

Yeah, one of the good things about the XP nerf is that getting medals actually matter now.

smilebig1337

Neo Member
reggie said:
Why do you guys have so much trouble on the final boss? If you're not worried about being 'legit' then just put it on arcade with mutators, easy. You still get the achievements and everything.

Some people actually enjoy the challenge and they like knowing that the beat the game the way it was meant to be played. Not with a bunch of mutators or by using cheap tactics. Achievements aren't everything, you know.

Lima

smilebig1337 said:
Some people actually enjoy the challenge and they like knowing that the beat the game the way it was meant to be played. Not with a bunch of mutators or by using cheap tactics. Achievements aren't everything, you know.

A boss that is totally random and cheap shouldn't be outplayed by using cheap tactics?

-PXG-

zlatko said:
But what about dem games from now till then? What bout that Uncharted 3 on Nov1st? :O

Gears 3 is on the back burner for me. I did Rage, Dark Souls, and this Tuesday will be Batman. After Batman is BF3, and then November is just too much shit to list for me to care about DLC that doesn't add maps in ranked MP lol. :p

As good as it is, I ain't paying $60 for the SP. MP? Yeah...fuck that.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I wish there was a bonus in horde for defeating the boss waves

beating lvl 10 = $10k. lvl 20 = $20k etc etc

I spend all my money building stuff and it just gets trashed in the boss waves. I never seem to have enough to buy any of the fun stuff like the silverback.

just a thought

zlatko

Banned
-PXG- said:
As good as it is, I ain't paying $60 for the SP. MP? Yeah...fuck that.

I heard you can rent games now from places. :O

What about the other big games full of swagger across platforms ?

Rage
Dark Souls
Batman AC
Battlefield 3
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Modern Warfare 3
Zelda Skyward Sword
Forza 4
Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Gotta be something on that list or that I even forgot that you'd want to get in on. I'll be getting in on all of it except Forza and Zelda, and I'd get in on Zelda if I still had a Wii, but I'm fine with waiting till Wii U releases to just experience it then with some backwards compatibility.

Just beat campaign on Insane with four of my good friends.

Awesome experience.

We did it in about 10 hours, in case anyone is thinking about doing it in one day it's doable. However, we used two mutators: the Super Reload one and Instant Gib. Instant Gib proved invaluable for the Armored Kantus, and Super Reload was the reason we were able to clear the final battle (after 7 tries) while a lot of other people in this thread weren't able to. If you're going for the 4-person Insane clear, definitely get both of those mutators. It'll save you some headaches.

smilebig1337

Neo Member
Lima said:
A boss that is totally random and cheap shouldn't be outplayed by using cheap tactics?

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done. I'm simply saying that some people enjoy the extra challenge. It's the reason why there is such a draw to games like Ninja Gaiden and Demon Souls. I was just responding to an individual who essentially said, "Pfft, this battle is easy, just use the mutators to win! It still gives you achievements, so why the hell are you doing it any other way?" So, if you're just doing this for an achievement, then be my guest. But, if you want to beat it in order to feel satisfied, then I recommend developing a strategy and grind through it.

zlatko said:
I heard you can rent games now from places. :O

What about the other big games full of swagger across platforms ?

Rage
Dark Souls
Batman AC
Battlefield 3
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Modern Warfare 3
Zelda Skyward Sword
Forza 4
Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Gotta be something on that list or that I even forgot that you'd want to get in on. I'll be getting in on all of it except Forza and Zelda, and I'd get in on Zelda if I still had a Wii, but I'm fine with waiting till Wii U releases to just experience it then with some backwards compatibility.
Those games aren't going anywhere. You don't have to play them all this year.

zlatko

Banned
AndyMoogle said:
Those games aren't going anywhere. You don't have to play them all this year.

But I want to play them ASAP. I'm giddier than a schoolgirl to get in on them. :D For some the wait has been years, why wait any longer ?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Acidote said:
No there isn't, but I want to, and I need to know my progress in single insane arcade too.
I think there is?

idk. i ran through 4 player insane and got some onyx medal upon completion

edit- Warmonger, bottom second from left.

Lima

smilebig1337 said:
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done. I'm simply saying that some people enjoy the extra challenge. It's the reason why there is such a draw to games like Ninja Gaiden and Demon Souls. I was just responding to an individual who essentially said, "Pfft, this battle is easy, just use the mutators to win! It still gives you achievements, so why the hell are you doing it any other way?" So, if you're just doing this for an achievement, then be my guest. But, if you want to beat it in order to feel satisfied, then I recommend developing a strategy and grind through it.

Well the fights in the games you mentioned aren't random at all.

The random part is what sucks about this boss. In NG you can adapt, if you die it is your fault and you can't blame the game for stupid design.

I played the boss solo on insane both with and without mutators and the amount of bullshit I faced didn't leave me satisfied once I had beaten him/her.

smilebig1337

Neo Member
Lima said:
Well the fights in the games you mentioned aren't random at all.

The random part is what sucks about this boss. In NG you can adapt, if you die it is your fault and you can't blame the game for stupid design.

I played the boss solo on insane both with and without mutators and the amount of bullshit I faced didn't leave me satisfied once I had beaten him/her.

I don't want to go off topic on NG here, but there are certainly times where you can get hit in cheap ways that you can't block *cough* enemies respawning around save points and throwing exploding shirukens at you the second you load up the game from off screen *cough*.

I realize that the boss is cheap, but I was personally really satisfied when I took her down the first time. I'm not bashing the mutator method, I'm just saying that it isn't for everyone, regardless of how cheap the boss is.

Edit:
Trust me, I agree with you on the randomness being shitty. It almost feels like Epic didn't play test this battle on insane, or that they all lacked the adequate skill to tell that this battle wasn't just "hard." It is cheap, and no matter how good you are, you will die, continuously. The battle can be broken. I get that. But, that doesn't mean it can't still be fun to beat it legitimately.

reggie

Banned
smilebig1337 said:
Achievements aren't everything, but neither is your pride.

I'd also argue that 'the way it's meant to be played' is WITH mutators, some of the encounters in the campaign (like the final boss) are so ridiculous that I don't believe you were meant to do them 'legit'.

Even ignoring that, the final boss is cheap itself, so I don't see the problem with using cheap tactics against it.

smilebig1337

Neo Member
reggie said:
Achievements aren't everything, but neither is your pride.

I'd also argue that 'the way it's meant to be played' is WITH mutators, some of the encounters in the campaign (like the final boss) are so ridiculous that I don't believe you were meant to do them 'legit'.

Even ignoring that, the final boss is cheap itself, so I don't see the problem with using cheap tactics against it.

I never said there was a problem with using the cheap tactics. I was simply stating that you don't have to use them. If you want to use them, go ahead. No one, including Epic, is stopping you.

Also, my pride means more to me than my gamerscore. If something gives me more personal satisfaction, then I'm going to do it. I don't necessarily see where that comment came from.

Tawpgun

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Anyone here from the UK?

Up for some games?

Is using the retro lancer seen to be a bad thing?
I honestly can't stand the retro. It's not AS bad as the sawed off but it comes close. It's just so fucking powerful if you get caught in its effective range you have no chance.

I like the power of the lancer and hammer burst. They made long-mid range fighting more viable. But I hate what the retro and sawed off did to the CQC game.

On another note, Horde question, if I start out on Wave 31 in a private match will I get any extra money?

I just don't find the Retro as useful as it was during the beta. Gears 3 is a much longer range game than the other two, so being gimped at medium/long range don't seem to work out very well.

reggie

Banned
smilebig1337 said:
I never said there was a problem with using the cheap tactics. I was simply stating that you don't have to use them. If you want to use them, go ahead. No one, including Epic, is stopping you.

Also, my pride means more to me than my gamerscore. If something gives me more personal satisfaction, then I'm going to do it. I don't necessarily see where that comment came from.

Look, my original comment was mainly aimed at people who didn't know that you could use mutators. So many comments in this thread from people complaining about it that I wondered why they didn't consider just doing it the easy way.

I get it, you want to do it legit, that you want a challenge, but at the end of the day it means as less then the achievements you get from it. It's not worth it for how incredibly unfair it is.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finally started playing the campaign last night with a couple friends and after reaching Act II...the sheer disappointment was alarming. It was like we could all sense the bitter feeling of being suckered out of $60 without saying a word after our session.

Terrible story that does almost nothing to lure us into whatever plight these heroes are facing. Who is that Admiral everyone hates? Why? He wasn't in the catch-up video! Marcus is in prison after stopping the Locust threat?? Again, video didn't explain any of this! Oh wait...the game just started talking about his prison sentence, but we were too busy killing stuff with bombastic music happening at the same time, can you repeat!!?? No? Bah. The 'prelude' video didn't shed any light on who these players are, what the difference is between the Lambent and the Locust(infected by Immulsion? What is immulsion?)

Even forgetting the entire plotline and mythology, Hardcore difficulty has been an absolute cakewalk so far. Can't play Insanity because you need to unlock it. But this co-op experience is snooze-worthy without it because none of the enemies are threatening enough for us to communicate even a sliver of strategy. We were all on complete auto-pilot, and the game is purposefully locking us out of the fun. WHY??!!

Oh wait, except for the bullshit forked path segments that are back from Gears 1. Oh my friend was insta-gibbed by a incendiary grenade so everyone has to restart. We never had this issue when fighting together, but somehow game over's only occur when split-up. Worst part of Gears 1 is back baby! :/

Granted, we are only through Act 1 so far, and the game is gorgeous(the only compliment any of us have given Gears 3 so far!), but unless something turns around, this is looking to be one of 2011's most overrated campaigns.

reggie

Banned
Brandon F said:
Terrible story that does almost nothing to lure us into whatever plight these heroes are facing. Who is that Admiral everyone hates? Why? He wasn't in the catch-up video! Marcus is in prison after stopping the Locust threat?? Again, video didn't explain any of this! Oh wait...the game just started talking about his prison sentence, but we were too busy killing stuff with bombastic music happening at the same time, can you repeat!!?? No? Bah. The 'prelude' video didn't shed any light on who these players are, what the difference is between the Lambent and the Locust(infected by Immulsion? What is immulsion?)
Someone hasn't been paying attention.

Edit: The more I read this post, the more it comes off as a joke. Seriously?

zlatko

Banned
Brandon F said:
Finally started playing the campaign last night with a couple friends and after reaching Act II...the sheer disappointment was alarming. It was like we could all sense the bitter feeling of being suckered out of $60 without saying a word after our session.

Even forgetting the entire plotline and mythology, Hardcore difficulty has been an absolute cakewalk so far. Can't play Insanity because you need to unlock it. But this co-op experience is snooze-worthy without it because none of the enemies are threatening enough for us to communicate even a sliver of strategy. We were all on complete auto-pilot, and the game is purposefully locking us out of the fun. WHY??!!

Oh wait, except for the bullshit forked path segments that are back from Gears 1. Oh my friend was insta-gibbed by a incendiary grenade so everyone has to restart. We never had this issue when fighting together, but somehow game over's only occur when split-up. Worst part of Gears 1 is back baby! :/

Granted, we are only through Act 1 so far, and the game is gorgeous(the only compliment any of us have given Gears 3 so far!), but unless something turns around, this is looking to be one of 2011's most overrated campaigns.

castlegif.gif

-PXG-

Brandon F said:

You played Gears 1, yet Hoffman and Marcus' prison sentence is a big surprise? Clearly you have a terrible memory.

Gears' story through the three games isn't all that great, but it's not that disjointed or nearly as sloppy as you make it out to be.

Want a fucked up story that makes absolutely NO sense...Go play Bayo.

reggie

Banned
-PXG- said:
You played Gears 1, yet Hoffman and Marcus' prison sentence is a big surprise? Clearly you have a terrible memory.
Dude has to be either joking or have a terrible attention span. Both Prescott and Hoffman are in the prelude, so I have no idea who he's talking about when he says they are not.

Brandon F

reggie said:
Someone hasn't been paying attention.

Edit: The more I read this post, the more it comes off as a joke. Seriously?

No joke. I really want to love this game, but as I said the silence we shared after finishing our session was alarming.

Care to elaborate on some of the dialogue we may have missed, or characters we may have forgotten in the years since Gears 1 and 2? Maybe tell us not to worry and all will be detailed as we progress? Or you can all continue to post snarky .gifs!

The setpeices are neat though, but again locking us out of the hardest difficulty is bullshit though. Maybe it ramps up later(does it?) but hardcore was terribly easy stealing away a bit of the thrill of combat.

Brandon F

-PXG- said:

Gears' story through the three games isn't all that great, but it's not that disjointed or nearly as sloppy as you make it out to be.

Want a fucked up story that makes absolutely NO sense...Go play Bayo.

Gears 1 was four years ago! I played the campaign once in a single weekend in 2006!

I recall the shitty endboss on the train and dropping the bomb underground. But Prescott who?

I should be asking you people how any of this stuff even resonates after all this time!

smilebig1337

Neo Member
Brandon F said:

This is one of the funniest things I've ever read on this forum. A few others have already pointed out some of the ridiculous things that you're oblivious to, but I have yet to see someone point out that you played gears 1, but you don't know what Immulsion is. Do you remember that entire act that was underground? You know all of that glowie stuff that was EVERYWHERE? Well that's immulsion. Oh, and do you remember the wretches that blew up in your face throughout the entire factory sequence in gears 1? Those were lambent.

You either did not play the first game, you have one of the worst memories on the planet, or you're trolling.

reggie

Banned
Brandon F said:
I recall the shitty endboss on the train and dropping the bomb underground. But Prescott who?

Did you play Gears 2 or watch the prelude? It's explained.

Oh, and insane difficulty being locked from the beginning is a good thing, trust me.

zlatko

Banned
Brandon F said:
No joke. I really want to love this game, but as I said the silence we shared after finishing our session was alarming.

Care to elaborate on some of the dialogue we may have missed, or characters we may have forgotten in the years since Gears 1 and 2? Maybe tell us not to worry and all will be detailed as we progress? Or you can all continue to post snarky .gifs!

The setpeices are neat though, but again locking us out of the hardest difficulty is bullshit though. Maybe it ramps up later(does it?) but hardcore was terribly easy stealing away a bit of the thrill of combat.

Are you going into this expecting a giant play by play of Gears 1 and 2? You should have replayed, wikied, or youtubed if that is the case. For me I had no problem recalling the events as if it was yesterday for both as neither of the plots were contrived or long.

Gears 3 is its own confined story, and of course brings a conclusion to the plot laid out from 1 and 2. Even without playing 1 and 2 you should still be able to enjoy it from start to finish, although I'm sure if you were fresh to the series you'd have some questions about X/Y/Z, which you can google-fu.

Does the game get better? Yeah. Act 1 is a lot of lambent, and the rest of the game is more Locust which are funner to fight. The story takes you to some cool locations, but doesn't really pan out or give answers until the final act, where Act 1-4 are more of a trek to the meat of answers. These acts are filled with some great set pieces, varied environments, and a lot of fun.

If you want some challenge with your co-op buddies, then put the campaign down and go hit up horde together, or if you want to get bent over then go into multiplayer ranked. Single player insane or not is not difficult aside from maybe the final boss, and that's it.

MjFrancis

Completed Ain't My First Rodeo, My Fellow Gears, and We Few, We Happy Few today. Feels good. Haven't completed anything on Insane yet, though, save for 1/2 of Act I and 1/2 of Act V.

Beat the final boss Hardcore solo and went online in Casual as the savior of a four-party group playing on Hardcore. For those people who think the final boss is ridiculously easy, this may have been what happened.

Campaign on Insane might have to wait a good while. I still I have do Beast mode and Horde mode on Insane. Haven't scratched the surface on either mode, really.

Brandon F

reggie said:
Did you play Gears 2 or watch the prelude? It's explained.

Oh, and insane difficulty being locked from the beginning is a good thing, trust me.

Yea, it's been a long time since Gears 2, and I watched the Prelude, but it was more of an 'overarching' thing. I'll rewatch to make certain but I don't recall Prescott being mentioned in it.

We're not completely lost, just hoping for a bit of these lagging initial questions answered. (Thanks to the few helpful fans in this thread, the rest of you can fuck off.) All of our memories of the previous games were years previous and it was humorous how little we recall of this universe trying to connect the dots in Act 1.

The core story is not holding us back, but it's making us care less so far is all. The real issue is the limp difficulty in Act 1. Just hoping it picks up as being on auto-pilot in a co-op game wasn't very exciting.

Brandon F said:
Yea, it's been a long time since Gears 2, and I watched the Prelude, but it was more of an 'overarching' thing. I'll rewatch to make certain but I don't recall Prescott being mentioned in it.

We're not completely lost, just hoping for a bit of these lagging initial questions answered. (Thanks to the few helpful fans in this thread, the rest of you can fuck off.) All of our memories of the previous games were years previous and it was humorous how little we recall of this universe trying to connect the dots in Act 1.

The core story is not holding us back, but it's making us care less so far is all. The real issue is the limp difficulty in Act 1. Just hoping it picks up as being on auto-pilot in a co-op game wasn't very exciting.

Nothing is stopping you from catching up on the other games by.. playing them.

Short breakdown since your lazy

Gears 1
Marcus is in prison for trying to save his dad
dom free's him
you meet up with carmine and kim
going to find a Sonic Resonator to map the locust hive
find cole and resonator
kim get stabbed
meet with baird
kill bezerker
meet strandad on way to mine
fight to car to drive to mine
fight your way down mine
attack locust hive
kill corpser
plant resonator
resonator fails
bairds device points to marcus's dad having all the info about the tunnles
fight to marcus's home
get tunnel data at fenix house
get on train to launch the lightmass bomb to kill locust
fight/kill raam
launch bomb
best mates with hoffman.

Gears 2
lightmass bomb failed
marcus and dom at hospital in jacinto
train carmine
meet tai
hospital full of people with an imulsion disease "rustlung"
dom is told maria(his wife) might of been found (she hasnt)
prescott leader of the COG gives a speech about atackingthe locust
you all get on big drilling vehicles
meet dizzy
just as your about to dig into the locust hollow/hive skorge(big bad) attacks
tai and dizzy stay behind to fight you assault the hollow
discover plot about locust wanting to sink jacinto using hude worm to sink citys around it
fall inside rift worm
kill it
delta squad get news about a facility with top secret info sent to investigate
find info about locust stronghold and "queen"
wake up locust hyrbid creeps
escape
attack locust stronghold inside mountain
find locust capital city "nexus"
find doms wife who looks like a fish, kill her with biggest revolver known to man
confront "queen"
battle skorge who runs away
fly after and kill skorge on reaver
land at jacinto
defend COG headquarters
plan to sink jacinto to kill locust
hijack brumak
king ravens move in to deploy the bomb
brumak mutates due to lambancy
kill it with hammer of dawn
fly away looking back at jacinto sinking (cool guys dont look at explosions,like a boos ect)
credits
message after credits for adam fenix
: "This is Adam Fenix... Is anyone out there...? Can you hear me...? This is Adam Fenix... Can you hear me...? What have you done...?!

zlatko

Banned
reggie said:
You'd then have people coming here complaining that it's too hard. You can't win.

There is people who complain about game difficulties even on casual. Game developers go so far to bend over backwards to appease these mother fuckers at every turn, yet they want me to bend over and grab my ankles while I play through games more times than necessary? Do they realize Insane modes are less insane when players unlock them thanks to no knowing what to expect start to finish?

I think locking of hardest difficulties is a shitty trend in games, and it's a shame Gears 3 did it again too. I'm not an idiot... I can read the description and this isn't my first game. Plus, you already sold me a copy if I'm playing it, and there's always the options to change the difficulty setting during a play through if it gets too hard.

There is no reason to lock the hardest difficulty in games other than a pseudo "replay" value factor. I would have had one less play through of Gears 3 if it wasn't for insane being locked, and it's not like trekking through it again was more fun in anyway.

/end rant about gimme my man setting game devs.

reggie said:
You'd then have people coming here complaining that it's too hard. You can't win.
Why would people who selected insane difficulty complaining about the difficulty be something that we would be concerned about, and how does this magically go away if someone beats it on the insanely easy normal mode, thus unlocking insane?

Still wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom