• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
Seth Balmore said:
Hadn't seen that one. Oh my lord...

Dude should've tried aiming at the exact same spot with the Gnasher afterwards, for even greater lulz. Get this abomination out of my game, Epic... :(

I haven't played Gears 3 in a while, so I haven't played after the updates yet, but isn't SOS nerfed? Did anyone make a video to see how long the range was nerfed from its previous version?

Arjen

I'm definitly seeing a lot less SoS users after the nerf. But if you're not on dedi's and have some lag it's still is the biggest piece of shit gun ever in shooters.

Jaguar said:
Anyone seen this sawed-off video? Fucking pathetic that a gun like this could make its way into any shooter. Gotta appeal to the casuals some way, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDUf-MASRe0&feature=youtu.be

From this thread: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/843865-Epic-I-thought-you-said-you-fixed-the-Sawed-Off

"whoever&#65279; says this gun doesn't take any skill is retarded. You need to be able to locate the right trigger on the xbox controller. That shit is not fucking easy >.<"
InfinateRyu 7 hours ago 6

Haha. Fuck yeah, YouTube.

equil

Arjen said:
I'm definitly seeing a lot less SoS users after the nerf. But if you're not on dedi's and have some lag it's still is the biggest piece of shit gun ever in shooters.

I still use it, and havent really noticed any difference.

Tawpgun

What is happening to the good shooter developers... first Bungie with armor lock, bloom, and the other AA's.... now Epic with the sawed off....

CoD's been shit for years.

I think Gears should have done something along the lines of Halo 3. Seperate playlists into Ranked and Social. Social has all these shenanigans, ranked does not.

zlatko

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
What is happening to the good shooter developers... first Bungie with armor lock, bloom, and the other AA's.... now Epic with the sawed off....

CoD's been shit for years.

I think Gears should have done something along the lines of Halo 3. Seperate playlists into Ranked and Social. Social has all these shenanigans, ranked does not.

I'm going to have to step in here and ask you why you think EPIC was in the "good shooter developers" bracket to begin with, because if you use Gears 1 and 2 to judge them before Gears 3, then they suck. I mean I love me some Gears 1, but let's not act like that game wasn't a technical mess. If you can go find a game on 360 you can guarantee crab walking is there and easy to do, kung fu flips out of maps, weapon sliding, host advantage, and of course active down sniper. Look to Gears 2 and you have the worst console multiplayer experience ever from launch to this year. Truly a disaster in every way and when it first came out core game design choices were awful. Knock down from Smokes? Glitch into walls using them? Hell even that Unreal Tournament game they brought out this console generation was a turd.

If you came into Gears 3 expecting perfection then you haven't been paying attention to EPIC's history. They've gotten more right here than their previous titles, but it in no way surprises me they have serious issues, but at least this time it's on a smaller scale. Not having dedi's up always SUCKS, and SOS abuse takes a shit on the core game, but I'll take those issues over Gears 2 smoke knock downs and crab walking ANY DAY of the week.

CoD has not been shit for years. You may have not liked the crazy additions, but the core gameplay is still satisfying. For me I'm all about Hardcore Search and Destroy, and every CoD game this generation even with all the crazy perks/kill streaks, do not damper that game mode. Team Deathmatch even in CoD4 was crappy to things like martydom and juggernaunt. They never destroy the flow of combat like a SOS user around a corner does though. I do think CoD needs a serious reboot in some core design aspects, and it's inexcusable that the biggest game franchise on the market can't get dedicated servers on consoles. Step it up CoD.

Reach gave you game types to avoid Armor Lock, but I agree that Armor Lock was what shit that game up for me. It's such a dominant ability when compared to the others. Fantastic game though, and my favorite FPS this gen after CoD4.

With all that said I do think Gears 3 is the game right now that is the one to beat on what it offers on consoles for a competitive shooter. Throw in some more maps, and get dedi's up 24/7 and you'll have a game to come back to for years.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
purchased and beat the game on the weekend. haven't done that for a while with a game Halo reach too me about 2 weeks.

Was nice, but I played on 'normal' which I realised was a mistake after about half way. think I'll go again, this time on insane.

how good is the horde mode online? I killed my gold subscription but would consider getting gold for a month to play some horde if it's good (deathmatch etc never interested me in gears).

I remember hating gears 2 because hordemode you were totally screwed if a player dropped at level 20, does that happen still or can others join?

catfish said:
how good is the horde mode online? I killed my gold subscription but would consider getting gold for a month to play some horde if it's good (deathmatch etc never interested me in gears).

I remember hating gears 2 because hordemode you were totally screwed if a player dropped at level 20, does that happen still or can others join?
The new Horde is much more complex, it's very improved and more fun in general. However host migration sadly doesn't work well (host quits on wave 20, you'll get kicked back to wave 10 for example), but I think Epic said they're working on patching that.

There's another thing... you've noticed the game uses a lobby system for every mode and you can change the lobby type to public/friends only/private, right? I think (don't quote me on this one) that if the host's lobby type is set to "public", other people can join in progress... but the thing is the lobby type is on "friends only" by default and nobody bothers changing it, so 99% of the Horde lobbies can only be joined by friends.

tl;dr Online Horde has its share of problems. Unless you really really really want to play, I'd suggest waiting until Epic patches some things up.

2San

equil said:
I still use it, and havent really noticed any difference.
Honestly the nerf didn't really affect that much for SOS users. They have the exact same playstyle the exact same bullshit is still there. Rather than asking for proper balancing. Let's just ask for costant dedi's. Since Gears 3 isn't even at it worst when the everyone is using the SOS. It's when the dedi's are down. It boggles my mind that ranked isn't even fully dedicated when there aren't even that much ranked matches played.

Tawpgun

zlatko said:
I'm going to have to step in here and ask you why you think EPIC was in the "good shooter developers" bracket to begin with, because if you use Gears 1 and 2 to judge them before Gears 3, then they suck. I mean I love me some Gears 1, but let's not act like that game wasn't a technical mess. If you can go find a game on 360 you can guarantee crab walking is there and easy to do, kung fu flips out of maps, weapon sliding, host advantage, and of course active down sniper. Look to Gears 2 and you have the worst console multiplayer experience ever from launch to this year. Truly a disaster in every way and when it first came out core game design choices were awful. Knock down from Smokes? Glitch into walls using them? Hell even that Unreal Tournament game they brought out this console generation was a turd.

If you came into Gears 3 expecting perfection then you haven't been paying attention to EPIC's history. They've gotten more right here than their previous titles, but it in no way surprises me they have serious issues, but at least this time it's on a smaller scale. Not having dedi's up always SUCKS, and SOS abuse takes a shit on the core game, but I'll take those issues over Gears 2 smoke knock downs and crab walking ANY DAY of the week.

CoD has not been shit for years. You may have not liked the crazy additions, but the core gameplay is still satisfying. For me I'm all about Hardcore Search and Destroy, and every CoD game this generation even with all the crazy perks/kill streaks, do not damper that game mode. Team Deathmatch even in CoD4 was crappy to things like martydom and juggernaunt. They never destroy the flow of combat like a SOS user around a corner does though. I do think CoD needs a serious reboot in some core design aspects, and it's inexcusable that the biggest game franchise on the market can't get dedicated servers on consoles. Step it up CoD.

Reach gave you game types to avoid Armor Lock, but I agree that Armor Lock was what shit that game up for me. It's such a dominant ability when compared to the others. Fantastic game though, and my favorite FPS this gen after CoD4.

With all that said I do think Gears 3 is the game right now that is the one to beat on what it offers on consoles for a competitive shooter. Throw in some more maps, and get dedi's up 24/7 and you'll have a game to come back to for years.
Gears 1 and 2, with their faults, were still competitive shooters with a good learning curve to them. I hated Gears 2 at launch, but it was still a more competitive and skill based shooter than any CoD game.

Epic decided that players don't like learning curves so they added the sawed off for a shortcut.

As far as gears being the best competitive shooter right now? Maybe. If Shadowrun had more of a presence and not just its cult following I would pick that.

Epic and Bungie were the only people seeming to keep the arena aspect of shooters alive in the midst of all these custom classes, perks, etc...

The sawed off and the retro a little are near game breaking for me. Super frustrating to get killed by. Didn't epic say they were planning on putting in a classic mode or something? Reach nuked Armor Lock out of a LOT of gametypes and Epic should do the same.

smilebig1337

Neo Member
A27 Tawpgun said:
Gears 1 and 2, with their faults, were still competitive shooters with a good learning curve to them. I hated Gears 2 at launch, but it was still a more competitive and skill based shooter than any CoD game.

Epic decided that players don't like learning curves so they added the sawed off for a shortcut.

As far as gears being the best competitive shooter right now? Maybe. If Shadowrun had more of a presence and not just its cult following I would pick that.

Epic and Bungie were the only people seeming to keep the arena aspect of shooters alive in the midst of all these custom classes, perks, etc...

The sawed off and the retro a little are near game breaking for me. Super frustrating to get killed by. Didn't epic say they were planning on putting in a classic mode or something? Reach nuked Armor Lock out of a LOT of gametypes and Epic should do the same.

While I do hate the sawed off, and I would enjoy a classic gametype, realize that Bungie did not implement normal playlists without Armor Lock for a while. The only ones that were available a few months out that didn't have Armor Lock were team snipers, swat, and mlg. It has only been in the last 6 months or so that we have received "normal," non-specialized playlists that do not allow Armor Lock. Give Gears some time, and I'm sure that the playlists will become more segmented for those who enjoy the sawed off and those who don't.

mernst23

God I love torque bow tag, absolutely destroy the competition with it. Had a 16 and 0 yesterday and countless 20+ and under 10 death games

Willeth

smilebig1337 said:
While I do hate the sawed off, and I would enjoy a classic gametype, realize that Bungie did not implement normal playlists without Armor Lock for a while. The only ones that were available a few months out that didn't have Armor Lock were team snipers, swat, and mlg. It has only been in the last 6 months or so that we have received "normal," non-specialized playlists that do not allow Armor Lock. Give Gears some time, and I'm sure that the playlists will become more segmented for those who enjoy the sawed off and those who don't.
Also know that it was only once control was relinquished to a different developer that this happened. I doubt Bungie would have changed it the way 343 have.

Developers hold on to their intent fiercely.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Arjen said:

Lag gives any weapon extreme bullshit power.

The lack of news on dedicated servers is troubling. My interest in the game is declining every day.

Arjen

RSTEIN said:
Lag gives any weapon extreme bullshit power.

The lack of news on dedicated servers is troubling. My interest in the game is declining every day.

Sure, gnasher on host is stil crazy powerfull. But range is such a big deal when countering the SoS, and on a laggy connection range is hard to calculate.
But i'm with you, the lack of maps is killing my interest, i'll probaly play until Skyrim comes out.

zlatko

Banned
Arjen said:
Sure, gnasher on host is stil crazy powerfull. But range is such a big deal when countering the SoS, and on a laggy connection range is hard to calculate.
But i'm with you, the lack of maps is killing my interest, i'll probaly play until Skyrim comes out.

The rifles on host are where you see insane shit. Getting down in 2-3 hammerburst shots BEFORE actives is nuts. Host lancer with that mega clip can kill all 5 of your team easy peesy.

All I know is back in the beta thread for Gears 3 I was stating how my purchase of this game would be held off until I knew dedi's would be up 24/7, but I bought into the hype and my friends picking it up. I knew that it would take months until after release for dedi's to be constant, because there's just too many players and they simply will not add enough to let them all play on them. I'd say around December is when you can expect this game to be solid online wise. At that point all the people passing through will have gone on.

It's just the sad truth.

Arjen

zlatko said:
The rifles on host are where you see insane shit. Getting down in 2-3 hammerburst shots BEFORE actives is nuts. Host lancer with that mega clip can kill all 5 of your team easy peesy.

All I know is back in the beta thread for Gears 3 I was stating how my purchase of this game would be held off until I knew dedi's would be up 24/7, but I bought into the hype and my friends picking it up. I knew that it would take months until after release for dedi's to be constant, because there's just too many players and they simply will not add enough to let them all play on them. I'd say around December is when you can expect this game to be solid online wise. At that point all the people passing through will have gone on.

It's just the sad truth.

Honestly i had nothing but fun with the beta, even with the overpowered retro. Even when it was p2p it was pretty smooth, but i ragequitted a couple of times now over some bulshit.

2San

Arjen said:
Honestly i had nothing but fun with the beta, even with the overpowered retro. Even when it was p2p it was pretty smooth, but i ragequitted a couple of times now over some bulshit.
Really? I was in Gears wonderland during the beta till that day game when it was p2p all of a sudden and I noticed directly(but it was only for 2 days afaik).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Does Ranked actually use truskill? That's what I want to know. The guys I play with, we consistently destroy everyone we play. Theoretically that shouldn't be happening.

zlatko

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Does Ranked actually use truskill? That's what I want to know. The guys I play with, we consistently destroy everyone we play. Theoretically that shouldn't be happening.

This is a damn good question and I think the answer is no. Every game I try to do on ranked tries to match up similar rank level opponents. It seems they threw it out from Gears 2 to increase matchmaking speed.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I got called host yesterday, shit made me lol.

Oh silly BKs and their necessity to blame away their badness.

zlatko said:
This is a damn good question and I think the answer is no. Every game I try to do on ranked tries to match up similar rank level opponents. It seems they threw it out from Gears 2 to increase matchmaking speed.

I asked on twitter, doubt I'll get an answer though.

Ranked should be skill based, I don't know why more devs are going away from that. It should have a skill denotation next to your name too.

zlatko

Banned
Alienshogun said:
I got called host yesterday, shit made me lol.

Oh silly BKs and their necessity to blame away their badness.

I asked on twitter, doubt I'll get an answer though.

Ranked should be skill based, I don't know why more devs are going away from that. It should have a skill denotation next to your name too.

I liked Gears 2's way of just hiding in the back. People get TOO competitive/serious when they can see these values. Not to mention some people get seriously unmotivated by a game if it's a crushing online experience where you can just stare at failure in numeric values.

I'd like to see more games take the starcraft 2 approach. You have leagues, bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond, masters, and grand masters. You need to win a lot to move up, and before the game moves you up it will start to pit you against players from higher leagues to see how you fair. Maybe you are in Silver and can tackle gold players consistently, but platinum are still too much, so the game knows hey, a few more wins and he's ready for gold. At the same time if you were in Silver and smashing both gold/plat, then the game recognizes it and says well shit throw some diamonds at him. Botch those up and it'll probably toss you into platinum.

The best part of this system, although some hate it, is that you cannot see your win/loss at all until you reach Masters. I think its brilliant because it takes the edge off from having a shit day. Once you reach those Masters/Grand Masters levels you are clearly super tip top and need these stats to help you up your game, but in lower leagues it can be soul crushing.

In console shooters it'd be a system that would need some tweaking of course, such as that the only thing that matters to get you up to that diamond level is wins and not your personal stats. Once you reach that diamond level it not only takes into account wins, but your own personal performance, so that people with fantastic stats that help carry teams, and lead to wins, get bumped to masters to be with the best of the best. I believe grand masters in SC2 in a region is for only the top 200 of that region, so there's a grand master league for north america, korea, europe, etc.

The thing is though, the hardcore player is not the ticket to big bucks for these developers. It's pleasing that lowest common denominator of casual. Look at all of the things Gears has done for them, and the one big thing hardcore players wanted, dedicated servers up all times, was left to the way side. Pretty shitty, but it's the reality.

2San

Alienshogun said:
I'm pretty sure it does. I have a friend who's new to shooters(on consoles)and plays with with friends with a similar skill level. He always has trouble when he plays with my group though(there's only one guy that jacks up the skill level though, but he compensates by consistently getting outrages scores). Hence he prefers playing with his group since he can actually get postive scores on a consistent basis. That skilled guy(my nephew actually) says he gets matches with pretty crazy guys when he isn't playing with us.

It might not be flawless, but there's definitely some form of trueskill match making in place.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
2San said:
I'm pretty sure it does. I have a friend who's new to shooters(on consoles)and plays with with friends with a similar skill level. He always has trouble when he plays with my group though(there's only one guy that jacks up the skill level though, but he compensates by consistently getting outrages scores). Hence he prefers playing with his group since he can actually get postive scores on a consistent basis.

That may explain why I ran into some "good people" and a few others the other day, and why it seems like I'm running into the same people more often. I figured it was just luck and an underpopulated gametype though.

2San

Alienshogun said:
That may explain why I ran into some "good people" and a few others the other day, and why it seems like I'm running into the same people more often. I figured it was just luck and an underpopulated gametype though.
You should consistently check how high your opponents are ranked. You might get surprised how good they are in the grand scheme of things(and your team by extension as well).

sajj316

The most fun I've had with Gears, ever! Torque Bow Tag! I vote for this to be added as perm play list item! Next up, Sniper Only + Big Head Mode.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
sajj316 said:
The most fun I've had with Gears, ever! Torque Bow Tag! I vote for this to be added as perm play list item! Next up, Sniper Only + Big Head Mode.

Big head mode supposedly doesn't change the hitbox, but who the hell knows since Epic isn't responding to the newest hitbox videos.

Alienshogun said:
Big head mode supposedly doesn't change the hitbox, but who the hell knows since Epic isn't responding to the newest hitbox videos.
I believe it. I sniped a guy maybe just outside of the direct middle of his head and it wasn't a headshot

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
If there is truskill, it's messed up. I play with an 81, 75, and two guys that are 55+. I'm a 54. We get matched up with groups who have ranks of <40 (I know it's different than truskill) frequently that we just demolish. Then you check their kdrs post game and they're usually <1 where our group probably averages 1.5-2.0.

As far as I know Ranked matchmaking utilizes Truskill. Now, from what I remember from Gears 2's Truskill ranks pre-TU3 that's not saying much... I remember winning match upon match in a row with solid KDRs and my rank never changed from 1. Later my boyfriend would lose a match with negative KDR and he'd get promoted to rank 3 automatically.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Has epic said if they're at least thinking about a classic playlist?
Rod said they're aware of the interest from the community. Joe Graf is against the idea. Other developers like it. No word on anything definite happening.

Brakara

Seth Balmore said:
The new Horde is much more complex, it's very improved and more fun in general. However host migration sadly doesn't work well (host quits on wave 20, you'll get kicked back to wave 10 for example), but I think Epic said they're working on patching that.

There's another thing... you've noticed the game uses a lobby system for every mode and you can change the lobby type to public/friends only/private, right? I think (don't quote me on this one) that if the host's lobby type is set to "public", other people can join in progress... but the thing is the lobby type is on "friends only" by default and nobody bothers changing it, so 99% of the Horde lobbies can only be joined by friends.

tl;dr Online Horde has its share of problems. Unless you really really really want to play, I'd suggest waiting until Epic patches some things up.

For someone coming from Horde in Gears 2, host migration issues shouldn't really be a problem considering Gears 2 had no host migration at all.

As for being able to join matches in progress, you couldn't do that in ranked Horde matches.

So unless you only played social Horde in Gears 2, Horde 2.0 is a vast improvement.

h3ro

-PXG- said:
You better be drinking some good brews, especially on your birthday.
Olde E. Straight out the paper bag from the bodega. All day. Every day.

My boys are picking up some good stuff, probably some Chimay and Bluepoint Blueberry :D

sajj316

Alienshogun said:

That's just silly. Don't offer up a big head mode if shooting the forehead doesn't yield a head shot.

mernst23

AnEternalEnigma said:
As far as I know, there is no quickmute so you have to do it the old school way through the laggy-ass guide.

Press start and x to bring up your friends list and it should have everyone connected to the match in your friends list and you can mute from there.

TRios Zen

So while I know this "idea" steals blatantly from COD I think it would be cool to have a "prestige" mode in Gears 3.

Hell I'm only a 53, so not even there yet, but having something to do after you hit 100 (new prestige Titles/Weapon Skins?)...keep things interesting as you are owning fools (or getting owned, HAHA) online.

TRios Zen said:
So while I know this "idea" steals blatantly from COD I think it would be cool to have a "prestige" mode in Gears 3.

Hell I'm only a 53, so not even there yet, but having something to do after you hit 100 (new prestige Titles/Weapon Skins?)...keep things interesting as you are owning fools (or getting owned, HAHA) online.
There are plenty of medals you can try and get long after you've hit 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom