• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

Played a bit last night, was the first time I played TDM in a while, and it will be the last time I'll play Team Deathmatch. What a bore after a few matches. It's just not Gears to me.

As for kill stealing, who cares. If I'm in a match, it's nice to win, not to sit around and discuss who the fuck downed someone, just shoot him so we can get the win!

Stealing kills, I don't know. Me and Ballistik kinda go back and forth and stealing kills as a joke. We still get our points regardless, so I couldn't give two shits. Furthermore, I don't wanna be like those assholes who just get on the mic to complain about * derogatory homosexuals* stealing kills and shit. At the end of the day, that guy is dead, one less live they have, one less person to stop us from reaching our objective, and that's all that matters in the end. If you care about K/D THAT damn much, go to private match and boost to your heart's content, you e-dick will grow three sizes that day.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
reggie said:
Doesn't change anything, this is NeoGAF son.

Dense it is.

Anyway (to everyone else), it's fucking cold today and "Get him to the Greek" is the funniest movie I've seen in years.

On topic.

Anyone else having an issue getting "Ticker Tuesday" to count for war supporter?

TRios Zen

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Stealing kills, I don't know. Me and Ballistik kinda go back and forth and stealing kills as a joke. We still get our points regardless, so I couldn't give two shits. Furthermore, I don't wanna be like those assholes who just get on the mic to complain about * derogatory homosexuals* stealing kills and shit. At the end of the day, that guy is dead, one less live they have, one less person to stop us from reaching our objective, and that's all that matters in the end. If you care about K/D THAT damn much, go to private match and boost to your heart's content, you e-dick will grow three sizes that day.

There's a continuum here when it comes to kill stealing:

- In a firefight with a team mate and someone accidentally steals a kill - No Big Deal
- Run across a DBNO enemy with no one else around, hell, I'd take the kill to help the team, also NBD.
- See two people put each other in DBNO, and steal the kill before picking up the player; not cool
- Watching other people down folks and before they can execute them someone walks up and takes the kill = dick.

And it doesn't have anything to do with my e-dick or K/D, it's that if I did the work to put him down, I should get the coup de grace if I want to.

eviltasan

Apologies if this is already answered earlier but I'm yet to find it.

I'm looking to set up a playthrough of Gears 3 with a friend and our wives so in regard to the 4 player campaign coop using 2 xboxes in splitscreen, can anyone confirm for me whether or not all 4 players need to have Live Gold for their accounts in order to participate or just 2 of the accounts?

Bonus points for letting me know whether the 3D mode works for splitscreen too! Thanks!

Xevren

Alienshogun said:
Dense it is.

Anyway (to everyone else), it's fucking cold today and "Get him to the Greek" is the funniest movie I've seen in years.

On topic.

Anyone else having an issue getting "Ticker Tuesday" to count for war supporter?

Doesn't seem like anyone is getting a ribbon for it. Wonder if it just won't give one, or you have to complete all 50 waves for it to count.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Xevren said:
Doesn't seem like anyone is getting a ribbon for it. Wonder if it just won't give one, or you have to complete all 50 waves for it to count.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the P2P nature of horde.

TRios Zen said:
There's a continuum here when it comes to kill stealing:

- In a firefight with a team mate and someone accidentally steals a kill - No Big Deal
- Run across a DBNO enemy with no one else around, hell, I'd take the kill to help the team, also NBD.
- See two people put each other in DBNO, and steal the kill before picking up the player; not cool
- Watching other people down folks and before they can execute them someone walks up and takes the kill = dick.

And it doesn't have anything to do with my e-dick or K/D, it's that if I did the work to put him down, I should get the coup de grace if I want to.

Its still all very situational. How many people are around the two DBNO guys? How far away are you from revives when you can just take out the enemy now and help your teammate when you reach them? Did the enemy go down first so he has a chance to get up first while you're rushing over there, and do you think the opposite team isn't doing the exact same thing, potentially getting both of you killed? How many lives/points are you up in the game? Do you have time to be doing fancy executions in the current timeframe of the game? Are all your enemies defeated/on-respawn for you to do long executions and not being attacked?

Alienshogun said:
I think that's because it's so engrained from our jokes here, it would be really out of context for him to say that. It makes far more sense for him to say smiling.
But Prescott is all about OOC in Gears 3 (character development?!). He loses his cool, he taunts the Locust, he sounds like a panicky/drunk guy on the verge of tears, he even swears ffs. "This is the victory we need, FUCK! We can't stop until blah blah"

I've been convinced he says stylin' since day -7. We really need some confirmation from Epic, haha.

On topic, I hear the big explosions mutator is active on Public Horde as well as the Tickers. Is it true? I can't get on right now. :(

TRios Zen said:
Hah, once I tried to pick up a teammate in this situation, but my player meatshielded his kill instead and another opponent killed the teammate I intended to revive. I felt like an ass, but it was unintentional, lol.

Lima

eviltasan said:
Apologies if this is already answered earlier but I'm yet to find it.

I'm looking to set up a playthrough of Gears 3 with a friend and our wives so in regard to the 4 player campaign coop using 2 xboxes in splitscreen, can anyone confirm for me whether or not all 4 players need to have Live Gold for their accounts in order to participate or just 2 of the accounts?

Bonus points for letting me know whether the 3D mode works for splitscreen too! Thanks!

All 4 would need to have a gold subscription. You could play with guest accounts though so only the party leader needs gold.

3D mode doesn't work in splitscreen for obvious reasons.

zlatko

Banned
And I'm done. I'm trading this game in before I snap it like a fucking twig like I did Gears of War 2.

For the first time in my life I just threw a controller on the ground in fucking rage.

I am never buying into Cliff B's fucking bull shit hype again. Game in game out of Sawed off retro users camping and more bull shit than I can count. Hopping over cover teleport fails, hosts going 26 and 7, draining 900 bullets in a guy with Lancer and he SHOOTS AT A FUCKING WALL and gets a kill on me, and more monkey crap my brain can't even handle.

Fuck the sawed off, fuck any of you who say that gun deserves to exist, and fuck EPIC for lying out their god damn teeth about dedicated servers. I hope they go under and are forced to make shovel ware like SEGA.

Seth Balmore said:
But Prescott is all about OOC in Gears 3 (character development?!). He loses his cool, he taunts the Locust, he sounds like a panicky/drunk guy on the verge of tears, he even swears ffs. "This is the victory we need, FUCK! We can't stop until blah blah"

I thought he said "This is the victory we need, BUT we cannot stop until every one of them is dead!

But yours is funnier, and I always imagine the All-Fathers are STYLIN'

edit: LOL that dude above me is mad like a mothafucka haha

zlatko

Banned
_dementia said:
zlatko's rage post is pretty amazing

If you had witnessed the spectacular amount of feces for about 8 games in a row and not reacted in some kind of anger and just turned the machine off, then you have zen like patience and need to be commended.

I just can't stomach it any longer. More of my games are fucking unfun than fun much like Gears 2, and while I try to avoid putting the game in knowing it'll just piss me off, I wanted to cross my fingers/flip a coin I'd get some good games.

It's also bull shit and a half that EPIC can make playlists at a whim, and yet they won't give me a non SOS playlist so at least the core flow of combat can be fixed.

TRios Zen

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Its still all very situational. How many people are around the two DBNO guys? How far away are you from revives when you can just take out the enemy now and help your teammate when you reach them? Did the enemy go down first so he has a chance to get up first while you're rushing over there, and do you think the opposite team isn't doing the exact same thing, potentially getting both of you killed? How many lives/points are you up in the game? Do you have time to be doing fancy executions in the current timeframe of the game? Are all your enemies defeated/on-respawn for you to do long executions and not being attacked?

I wouldn't argue here - it is all situational, but there are those players who seem to do the not cool/dick kill stealing all the time, regardless of situation. I'd posit that nobody really likes those players, as it would appear THEY were trying to boost their KD, not the one who got the down.

That being said, there is gray here, for sure, I'm totally willing to concede that point.

Lima

As we are raging right now

TDM can go fuck itself. This shit has nothing to do with Gears. People flanking left and right and shit. No tactics involved, just camping/covering the power weapon area.

Everyday I look at the player count something inside me breaks.

Y U no play Warzone/Execution people?

TRios Zen

zlatko said:
If you had witnessed the spectacular amount of feces for about 8 games in a row and not reacted in some kind of anger and just turned the machine off, then you have zen like patience and need to be commended.

I just can't stomach it any longer. More of my games are fucking unfun than fun much like Gears 2, and while I try to avoid putting the game in knowing it'll just piss me off, I wanted to cross my fingers/flip a coin I'd get some good games.

It's also bull shit and a half that EPIC can make playlists at a whim, and yet they won't give me a non SOS playlist so at least the core flow of combat can be fixed.

I only played 3 matches last night for this very reason, I could tell the game would be rage inducing.

Repeating myself I'm sure, but the promise of dedicated servers makes the lack of them MORE rage inducing I think - that is why I wish they'd put notification within matchmaking (I'm sounding like a broken record now).

Ramirez

I feel Zlatko's pain, I was ready to trade this turd in last night when I got off. The SOS is the most unsatisfying thing in videogames to get killed by, and the range in my experience isn't changed at all. I don't think the servers were up last night, so I guess most of them were lag, but to me that just shows how broken the gun is in an online environment.

Glad someone was thinking of the casuals though...

zlatko

Banned
TRios Zen said:
I only played 3 matches last night for this very reason, I could tell the game would be rage inducing.

Repeating myself I'm sure, but the promise of dedicated servers makes the lack of them MORE rage inducing I think - that is why I wish they'd put notification within matchmaking (I'm sounding like a broken record now).

Agreed. I could save myself the journey through hell. If I could turn the game on, see they are down, then I can just go do something else. Or if I could at least know when I join a game that it isn't dedicated, then I can just prepare myself for a different play style and know bull shit is flying my way.

Can someone explain to me how the host becomes so damn powerful? I would get things happening faster on his screen, but it literally seems like weapons get multiplied in damage. Couldn't EPIC just design it so whoever is host on a P2P game gets a damage reduction on all their weapons? It's ridiculous to get downed by 2 shots of Gnasher from 20+ feet out or get hit with 3 nonactive Hburst shots and go down.

TRios Zen

zlatko said:
Agreed. I could save myself the journey through hell. If I could turn the game on, see they are down, then I can just go do something else. Or if I could at least know when I join a game that it isn't dedicated, then I can just prepare myself for a different play style and know bull shit is flying my way.

Can someone explain to me how the host becomes so damn powerful? I would get things happening faster on his screen, but it literally seems like weapons get multiplied in damage. Couldn't EPIC just design it so whoever is host on a P2P game gets a damage reduction on all their weapons? It's ridiculous to get downed by 2 shots of Gnasher from 20+ feet out or get hit with 3 nonactive Hburst shots and go down.

Never understood the bolded either - sucks enough having lag in a match and trying to contend with that, but having a character made of glass makes it unbearable.

ShaneB

Lima said:

TDM can go fuck itself. This shit has nothing to do with Gears. People flanking left and right and shit. No tactics involved, just camping/covering the power weapon area.

I dont get it either. Seeing the huge discrepancy in players makes me wonder what the hell is going on. I know people have been playing Gears for 5 years, did they hate Warzone/Execution all that time? Seeing 50k people playing TDM, and then like, 3k playing Warzone worries me.

Are these the people playing the flavour of the month and will be jumping ship when the next shooter lands? If that's the case, this game will certainly see a major player base drop off, and I can't blame em really.

Ballistik

Lima said:

I'm migrating to Execution when it's changed to 5 rounds to win. Koth is still what I play when I'm being reckless though, doubt that'll change.

zlatko

Banned
ShaneB said:
I dont get it either. Seeing the huge discrepancy in players makes me wonder what the hell is going on. I know people have been playing Gears for 5 years, did they hate Warzone/Execution all that time? Seeing 50k people playing TDM, and then like, 3k playing Warzone worries me.

Are these the people playing the flavour of the month and will be jumping ship when the next shooter lands? If that's the case, this game will certainly see a major player base drop off, and I can't blame em really.

It's a combination of that and what Ballistik mentioned with Execution not being 5 rounds. Why in the world EPIC changed it to 3, and why in the hell we are still waiting for it to go back to 5, is baffling.

ShaneB

zlatko said:
It's a combination of that and what Ballistik mentioned with Execution not being 5 rounds. Why in the world EPIC changed it to 3, and why in the hell we are still waiting for it to go back to 5, is baffling.

That is true I suppose. Completely stupid choice, especially with the map rotation being a mess. Rounds go by fast, and you play the same maps constantly.

zlatko

Banned
ShaneB said:
That is true I suppose. Completely stupid choice, especially with the map rotation being a mess. Rounds go by fast, and you play the same maps constantly.

It also makes adjusting strategies much harder. I have to assume the entire other team right out the gate will have 5 SOS users in execution, because if I don't, and try to claim a power weapon at the start, then I'll die and that's that. Moving around the map = crippled with SOS campers possibly around any corner. This wouldn't be super awful if I had 5 rounds at least to read what people like to rush on their team, where they like to camp, and who the stragglers are.

Deez

Neo Member
Ballistik said:
I'm migrating to Execution when it's changed to 5 rounds to win. Koth is still what I play when I'm being reckless though, doubt that'll change.

What about 4 rounds to win? Which is more preferable, 4 or 5?

Ramirez

ShaneB said:

You're playing in a world where COD lets you respawn immediately upon death, people don't like getting killed once and then watching for 10 minutes.

I prefer objective gametypes to straight up DM, that's why I play KOTH all the time. It actually makes people move around the map, and this game is so boring when there's no incentive to move.

Ballistik

Deez said:

I prefer 5 over 4 because you will get a different group of people every game that each play differently. I say the more rounds the better, so 5. (Heck, I always searched for 7-9 rounds in Gears 1).

Think about it this way, if it's only up to 3, you don't get 1-2 rounds of forgiveness and time to adjust if you run into gnasher rushers or spawn campers. When you get those intense 4-4 score, (if it gets to that) both teams already know where each player is going. Definitely makes the game more interesting because you have a strategy established by then, which it's efficiency is being tested. You'll get better at the game!

ShaneB

Ramirez said:
You're playing in a world where COD lets you respawn immediately upon death, people don't like getting killed once and then watching for 10 minutes.

I prefer objective gametypes to straight up DM, that's why I play KOTH all the time. It actually makes people move around the map, and this game is so boring when there's no incentive to move.

Well yes, respawning has been around a long time before CoD ;) And round based shooters are nothing new either.

It's just a different thought process, I like knowing the risk I take knowing if I get killed in a round, I have to wait till the next set to pop back in. I can be reckless, but I learn a lot quicker rather than knowing if I die, hell, it's no big deal, I'll be right back in the game!

And I'll agree about your KOTH, I have no issues with that playlist, it does promote moving around the map and location control and all that good stuff. I barely play it, but it does have its place.

Addnan

ResidentDante said:
I know it's a little late but I got two codes, one for savage kantus and one for savaage grenadier. Anybody wanna swap? PM me :)
If you posted that yesterday could have offered either Green, Infected or Adam but PM'd you with what I have left and its not even Gears related :(.

Deez said:
Quinn! Put an end to this debate: are the Allfathers smiling or stylin'?

To answer your question, why not just go with 5 for continuity's sake? It's been like that for 2 games, it's what people will be expecting, it works for them (us).

tsigo said:
So, anyone getting the Ticker Tuesday ribbon to pop?

i couldn't get the ribbon to activate either, but the horde settings are clearly affecting private games. i just started a custom private horde match starting on wave 31 and i got about 25 tickers and a few scorcher locust.

completed one wave and didn't get the ribbon to pop. would love some solid info on this.

Ramirez

ShaneB said:
Well yes, respawning has been around a long time before CoD ;) And round based shooters are nothing new either.

Of course it's been around before CoD, but no game has reached that magnitude of popularity. I'm not saying I like it, the CoD casual is the reason something like the SOS exists, it's a terrible trend that won't end anytime soon. :(

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Sooooo ticker tuesday isn't really ticker tuesday.

it's fucking 'big explosion' tuesday.
Boomers.
Drones.
Grenedier Elites.

...but why the fuck is there a Kantus in the mix?

and if this isn't an 'event', why is it in the event calander?

I swear every 4 days there is something stupid going on in this game.

Oh, cool... a grinder. That's totally a ticker.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Seth Balmore said:

I've been convinced he says stylin' since day -7. We really need some confirmation from Epic, haha.

On topic, I hear the big explosions mutator is active on Public Horde as well as the Tickers. Is it true? I can't get on right now. :(
Lol see that's another one. He actually says "but" not fuck.

In before butt fuck lulz.

Miggytronz

dmg04 said:
Sooooo ticker tuesday isn't really ticker tuesday.

it's fucking 'big explosion' tuesday.
Boomers.
Drones.
Grenedier Elites.

...but why the fuck is there a Kantus in the mix?

and if this isn't an 'event', why is it in the event calander?

I swear every 4 days there is something stupid going on in this game.

Oh, cool... a grinder. That's totally a ticker.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom