• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRios Zen

AndyMoogle said:
There are plenty of medals you can try and get long after you've hit 100.

True enough, but that's not really the same draw of new titles, etc. for repeating the level 100 grind. Not for everyone, I understand.

TRios Zen

RSTEIN said:
Don't worry, you'll be able to unlock the prestige mode for 800 allards in about 6 months or so.

Sad, but true.

On a related note, I wonder if the reason I'd be willing to spend my MS points on Savage Kantus and Mech Baird is precisely because they ARE NOT available (yet).

TRios Zen said:
So while I know this "idea" steals blatantly from COD I think it would be cool to have a "prestige" mode in Gears 3.

Hell I'm only a 53, so not even there yet, but having something to do after you hit 100 (new prestige Titles/Weapon Skins?)...keep things interesting as you are owning fools (or getting owned, HAHA) online.
I like the idea of going through 1-100 several times for weapon skins.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
now they've tweaked the exp I don't think many people will be hitting 100 if they didn't already have an inflated score to begin with

I'm 78 now and I was 71 when the changed it. It going to take me forever to get to 100 now.

I'd probably be 40 odd if it was this way from the start

Ballistik

D4Danger said:
now they've tweaked the exp I don't think many people will be hitting 100 if they didn't already have an inflated score to begin with

I'm 78 now and I was 71 when the changed it. It going to take me forever to get to 100 now.

I'd probably be 40 odd if it was this way from the start
I was like an 85 when they changed it, and I've been playing hours daily and I'm at 94 so far.

Goal is now 100 by the time first DLC hits.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Seth Balmore said:
As far as I know Ranked matchmaking utilizes Truskill. Now, from what I remember from Gears 2's Truskill ranks pre-TU3 that's not saying much... I remember winning match upon match in a row with solid KDRs and my rank never changed from 1. Later my boyfriend would lose a match with negative KDR and he'd get promoted to rank 3 automatically.

Yep, Joe Graf answered me.

https://twitter.com/#!/EpicCog/status/125970237500829696

Ranked does indeed use truskill, that said it's probably dependent on party leader like Halo's is, and is also dependent on population size.

Can't believe people still use that TruSkill garbage. It's always been a total fraud. I actually prefer Call of Duty's fuck-it-match-randomly system.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
AnEternalEnigma said:
Can't believe people still use that TruSkill garbage. It's always been a total fraud. I actually prefer Call of Duty's fuck-it-match-randomly system.

Yeah, you're right, it's better NOT to have a skill based matchmaking system even if it seems it may not always work well all the time, than to have one at all.

Good call.

You do know that's what social is, right?

Alienshogun said:
Yeah, you're right, it's better NOT to have a skill based matchmaking system even if it seems it may not always work well all the time, than to have one at all.

Good call.

You do know that's what social is, right?
hm maybe I should start playing Ranked...

AnEternalEnigma said:

Nooooooooo

TS allows me to actually get some kills ;o

lush

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Er... the hammerburst is absolutely ridiculous. It just tears people apart.

Also, does anyone have any codes for Mechanic Baird? I have tf2 hats on offer.
Nah, they seem to have nerfed it quite a bit from the beta. It's probably a bit underpowered considering the Lancer. Still does work in the right hands and an entire team of hammerburst users can be pretty frustrating. I enjoy being one of the few that use it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
lush said:
Nah, they seem to have nerfed it quite a bit from the beta. It's probably a bit underpowered considering the Lancer. Still does work in the right hands and an entire team of hammerburst users can be pretty frustrating. I enjoy being one of the few that use it.

I wouldn't say it's underpowered in comparison to the lancer at all. HB can down someone quicker than hell. If anything they are about equal.

Ballistik

The Xtortionist said:
I give the Lancer the edge for it's insane magazine and better AR.
I love the active reload and the insane stronger sound it makes when you're firing actives. Can completely stop enemies in their track.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The Xtortionist said:
I give the Lancer the edge for it's insane magazine and better AR.

The AR on HB is fucking insane too, it's just harder/takes longer to hit. I down people much quicker when I use the HB, I only use the lancer because of clip size. It makes SOS rushers and "pro wanna be wall bouncers" life hell.

If SOS wasn't in the game I would probably exclusively use hammerburst.

Which brings me to my next point.

Where the hell did these kids who aimlessly wallbounce come from? None of them do it right, they just randomly bounce all over the fucking place in an attempt to land a shot.

The simple solution to them is either chainsaw them or back up and hipfire.

Where did these kids "learn" this is a good tactic? Someone needs to give these kids a real wallbounce lesson.

Lima

Not many people seem to talk in ranked either.

Don't know what is up with people. 360's still come with headsets right?

I call out people left and right, yet nobody talks to me or cares about it.

I even spot most of the people I see but you get no help. It is so shitty that I don't even want to play this game anymore when I'm alone.

Ballistik said:
I love the active reload and the insane stronger sound it makes when you're firing actives. Can completely stop enemies in their track.

The Lancer AR'd was actually ridiculous the one time I tried it. I'm scared to make the move to the Lancer from the Retro. The Retro and I are such good buddies. Has anyone made a semi-permanent or permanent change from one rifle to another? If so, has it been a positive or negative experience?

Lima said:

I even spot most of the people I see but you get no help. It is so shitty that I don't even want to play this game anymore when I'm alone.

The weirdest part is I think a good number of them actually have their headset on, but muted. Often times in quick match I'll be the only one talking, but it seems they can hear me because soon enough another guy will start talking, then another. I've gone into silent matches before and by the end all 5 were talking. I don't know if people are shy or what.

Maybe they can hear me through the speakers, I don't know.

Teknoman

I want to try and get a feel for all weapons, so when that odd occurrence happens that I run out of ammo, I can pick up a random weapon and still stand a chance.

Also lets get some GAF games together. I'm not amazing at the game by any means, but its always fun to play in a team/GAF match of anything.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lima said:

Playing alone will actually make you better when you do roll with a team. If no one is on I either boost or play solo TDM. I stopped caring about KDR so much since I know going solo in matchmaking is making me a better player, both for myself and for my team.

Teknoman

Alienshogun said:
Playing alone will actually make you better when you do roll with a team. If no one is on I either boost or play solo TDM. I stopped caring about KDR so much since I know going solo in matchmaking is making me a better player, both for myself and for my team.

Its giving me better situational awareness, i'll say that.

Teknoman

Actually I think im gonna play a few more random matches, go get something to eat, and then try to get some GAF games together. Oh got your request Lima.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
2th said:
Contrary to what you may think from your ban over there, Joe is actually a really nice and helpful guy.

I don't harbor any I'll feelings about them over there. Anything I've said has been in jest. The only thing that IS true over there is how the forums are moderated in a Nazi fashion. Negative feelings, videos, etc are immediately deleted. Same with complaints. The hitbox videos and sawed off videos are removed instantly when they should be addressed, in detail, but that's besides the point.

I've never had a problem with Joe, Rac, Flak, Cliff, Rod, etc. Just with the moderation on the forums and how they censor everything, which is why I'm grateful for a place like NeoGAF where we can actually discuss issues in the game without shit getting deleted.

That said, I deserved my ban. I was drunk and some idiot was on the forum being retard, and I used less than PC wording in my description of his intellectual level. It shouldn't have been a permanent ban though, especially for a first offense.

Teknoman said:
Its giving me better situational awareness, i'll say that.

That and you HAVE to rely on yourself. It makes you learn how not to rely on teammates to survive. You learn real quick when it's smart to fight and when it's smart to run like a bitch, haha.

Alienshogun said:
That and you HAVE to rely on yourself. It makes you learn how not to rely on teammates to survive. You learn real quick when it's smart to fight and when it's smart to run like a bitch, haha.

It should be mandafuckingtory to be educated on when and where to "run like a bitch". There's no point in being a martyr.

Also, in relation to situational awareness, it's great how people assume you being in cover means that you're ONLY looking over/beyond that cover. Having them roadie run in for what they think will be an easy kill, only to be gib'd instantly is oh, so satisfying.

Alienshogun said:
The AR on HB is fucking insane too, it's just harder/takes longer to hit. I down people much quicker when I use the HB, I only use the lancer because of clip size. It makes SOS rushers and "pro wanna be wall bouncers" life hell.

If SOS wasn't in the game I would probably exclusively use hammerburst.

Which brings me to my next point.

Where the hell did these kids who aimlessly wallbounce come from? None of them do it right, they just randomly bounce all over the fucking place in an attempt to land a shot.

The simple solution to them is either chainsaw them or back up and hipfire.

Where did these kids "learn" this is a good tactic? Someone needs to give these kids a real wallbounce lesson.
I've just started wallbouncing with Gears 3, I haven't played Gears 2 much and as for Gears 1 I didn't need it. I'm constantly learning how to wallbounce with every new match, but I'm far from being perfect at it. That said, it takes time to wallbounce like a pro, but sooner or later many of those kids you're talking about will get it.

Teknoman

Alienshogun said:

Yeah a few matches ago I dodged around two guys in close quarters (I still have no idea how I survived) and tore through them with the gnasher. I guess that was basically wall bouncing? Was really exhilarating lol. One missed with an SOS and thought the other guy would kill me, but he was too busy changing weapons for some reason.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Teknoman said:
Yeah a few matches ago I dodged around two guys in close quarters (I still have no idea how I survived) and tore through them with the gnasher. I guess that was basically wall bouncing? Was really exhilarating lol.

The thing is, there's a difference between bouncing knowing what you're doing and bouncing around at random spamming the R trigger hoping for a hit.

A wall bounce should be used WITH strafe and in time with your shotgun/their shotgun to get an angle on your opponent while making them miss you.

These jack wagons who immediately start wallbouncing at you at random down a hall, miss then spaz around you in random angles randomly blasting are the one's I'm talking about.

The other day on old town I'm sitting at the top hall from digger/boom looking down at it. 3 guys all run up the hall while I'm sitting at the corner and start doing that exact random all wall bouncing up to me in hopes of getting to me while they hypnotized me with stupid.

My response? I centered myself to the hall, walked backwards in a straight line and hipfired my lancer killing all 3.

Wallbouncing like I said should be used with strafe to win 1v1 1v2 or more (although you shouldn't be trying to fight more than 1v1), furthermore, wallbounce should only be used to approach an enemy when you're trying to close distance quickly and without cover. That spastic bouncing back and forth down a hallway shit is all for show when pros do it and it will never work against a good player.

Alienshogun said:
(although you shouldn't be trying to fight more than 1v1)

Tell that to Ballistik. That guy just goes in like a maniac. We played a Koth game where he almost got MVP with zero caps and zero breaks, 64 kills. Dem CoD skills, son

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
LeonSKennedy90 said:
Tell that to Ballistik. That guy just goes in like a maniac. We played a Koth game where he almost got MVP with zero caps and zero breaks, 64 kills. Dem CoD skills, son

KOTH it doesn't really matter. That's the slayers job, to push and keep the enemy occupied/dead while you're holding the ring. I'm more talking about TDM and game types where killing is the point.

Pushing a 1v2 or more when they know you're there is a bad strategical move for your team no matter how you look at it in those modes.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
HawksWinStanley said:
It blows my mind how Epic can create such an incompetent spawn system.

All spawn systems in recent memory suck ass. If the spawns don't suck, then spawn camping is an issue. If spawn camping isn't an issue, spawns suck.

Someone needs to make a fix to both!

Alienshogun said:
Not really a problem in TDM either since you know when they swap. It's really an issue for KOTH though.

TDM has been where I'm having all the problems. If you don't clear out an enemy within 10 seconds while they spawn camp you then they start spawning right behind you. And then once you all die they switch sides and it happens again. It's dutch door action. It's terrible.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
HawksWinStanley said:
TDM has been where I'm having all the problems. If you don't clear out an enemy within 10 seconds while they spawn camp you then they start spawning right behind you. And then once you all die they switch sides and it happens again. It's dutch door action. It's terrible.

If you hear "ENEMY HORSES" It's time to haul ass and set up an ambush. ;)

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Let's say i'm playing without sound so i don't bother people.
Thanks for the non existent on screen indicator, epic.

Alienshogun said:
If you hear "ENEMY HORSES" It's time to haul ass and set up an ambush. ;)

I think it's 'enemy forces'. But if you don't get out of your spawn while the enemy is spawn camping you then the game detects that all their guys are at that spawn. So it will start sending your guys across the way and anyone who is left alive on your team just gets fucked from behind while the enemy spawns there now. It's a really bad system.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
_dementia said:
Yeah it's lame. I would invest in headphones
Yeah, Whenever i'm at a buds house i actually play on a computer monitor without speakers. Headphones would be cool but... i'm at a buds house. I want to play/talk to him at the same time, lol.

Halo 3 had this issue with the Banshee/Hornet. If a missile locked on, the only warning was audio. Some deaf dude asked if they could add an on screen indicator in a TU but it was impossible, or so an employee said.

Teknoman

HawksWinStanley said:
I think it's 'enemy forces'.

thats_the_joke.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom