• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Had no idea a retro rush could actually push through bullets until I killed someone that way the other night. You still take damage and it'll slow you down, but if you picked up enough speed, you'll stab right through.

When I notice lag it's usually when I'm teleporting around the map. I'll jump out of spawn and then teleport back to it. I'll jump over cover and then warp back to the other side.

There have been a few times though when there is obvious lag during firefights. Like when someone runs straight at me with a sawed off while I'm shooting them with the Lancer and there's literally no stopping power. Usually people slow to a crawl but this guy just chugged through. I also had a Gears 2 moment tonight when I walked about behind a guy standing perfectly still, hard aimed and shot him pointblank with the gnasher from 2ft away. The guy just took damage, jumped away, and I landed another popshot on him and he ran off.

Now I'm in Chicago and if Chicago isn't a big enough area to have a server nearby then I'm not sure where they're sticking these things. I'd think they'd have one in the midwest somewhere. I will say though that I've only been playing public matches and seeing as how ranked matches get priority that might explain why people are having much different experiences.

Ramirez

Lima said:
And beast mode done. Onyx #31 in the house.

I might actually get Seriously 3.0 this year and win the bet.

Also "I love that pop!"

Oh and A.Carmine is best Carmine. So funny hearing him talk shit while playing.

31? Jesus, are they legit, or private match shenanigans?

Alienshogun said:

Because it doesn't.

vader.jpg

HawksWinStanley said:
There have been a few times though when there is obvious lag during firefights. Like when someone runs straight at me with a sawed off while I'm shooting them with the Lancer and there's literally no stopping power. Usually people slow to a crawl but this guy just chugged through. I also had a Gears 2 moment tonight when I walked about behind a guy standing perfectly still, hard aimed and shot him pointblank with the gnasher from 2ft away. The guy just took damage, jumped away, and I landed another popshot on him and he ran off.

Now I'm in Chicago and if Chicago isn't a big enough area to have a server nearby then I'm not sure where they're sticking these things. I'd think they'd have one in the midwest somewhere. I will say though that I've only been playing public matches and seeing as how ranked matches get priority that might explain why people are having much different experiences.

I get games like this every once in a while too, but for me it's not frequent enough to warrant any complaints from me. Gears 3 has been one of the most lag free games I've played, though I still get some bizarre moments like you've mentioned mixed in with the whole experience.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I like it when you don't have spawn camping leaders. It's also better when two people aren't AFK

Also; That awkward moment when two SOS users shoot eachother from the same distance but only one dies

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
lol..so for the first time in about a week..im trying to play...and this game insists that i play the same map ten fucking times in a row. Im not leaving the game. I dont know what voodooo Im doing..but fucking apparently Im stranded in goddamn trenches. Im really tired of this shit.

Ramirez

dmg04 said:
10:21 PM PST
441 players in Ranked CTL WorldWide

It's such a terrible gametype with randoms, I play it when I'm by myself and it's usually nothing but frustration. Tonight I got in a Mercy match where the COGs were camping the church, and the Locust were camping the One Shot. I tried to break in several times, would kill all of them and down the leader, but no one would move from the OS to help me out, I ended up rage quitting after like 15 minutes of a stale mate, so dumb.

Not even sure what you could do to improve it, why is there no time limit? It just goes into OT, but that's worthless if both sides refuse to push.

Ramirez

dmg04 said:
Add a time limit. Whoever has most 'grabs' wins the round.

Ramirez said:
Not even sure what you could do to improve it, why is there no time limit?

We're on the same page!

I also played against an Epic employee tonight in KOTH, he whored the SOS all match, and I also had the pleasure of him spawning on me mid fight with one of his teammates. Was so tempted to send him a message telling him to fix the broken spawns, but meh.

Ramirez said:
Not even sure what you could do to improve it, why is there no time limit? It just goes into OT, but that's worthless if both sides refuse to push.

change it back to Guardian, nobody asked for a Submission style gametype.

reggie

Banned
I bet my hat that the recent bunch of whiners are just terrible at this game. Instead of admitting that maybe they aren't that great they blame it on weak excuses like lag and the SOS.

I live in fucking Australia, which is the online ghetto when it comes to laggy connections, and yet every single game has been fucking silky smooth. Consider that maybe your connections are terrible, or that simply YOU are terrible.

And the fucking SOS - Stop bitching and adapt. If you're getting killed by it YOU ARE TOO CLOSE. Yet what do you do? You put yourself in the same situation again and again and expect different results. Like I've said in this thread a million times before: the SOS is so fucking easy to counter, you just need to use your head. Hint: The Gnasher is not a good counter for the SOS.

And before one of you comes to tell me how good your K/D spread is, just don't even post. If you actually think your K/D means much in a game which is entirely team focused, you obviously don't get it.

Teknoman

reggie said:
I bet my hat that the recent bunch of whiners are just terrible at this game. Instead of admitting that maybe they aren't that great they blame it on weak excuses like lag and the SOS.

I live in fucking Australia, which is the online ghetto when it comes to laggy connections, and yet every single game has been fucking silky smooth. Consider that maybe your connections are terrible, or that simply YOU are terrible.

And the fucking SOS - Stop bitching and adapt. If you're getting killed by it YOU ARE TOO CLOSE. Yet what do you do? You put yourself in the same situation again and again and expect different results. Like I've said in this thread a million times before: the SOS is so fucking easy to counter, you just need to use your head. Hint: The Gnasher is not a good counter for the SOS.

And before one of you comes to tell me how good your K/D spread is, just don't even post. If you actually think your K/D means much in a game which is entirely team focused, you obviously don't get it.

They need to award special executions for more than just kills then. Maybe kill/downs? I honestly dont care about my KDR, but I do want all my special execution unlocks/ do care about whether or not my team wins.

abracadaver

The whole highscore system feels extremely half assed to me.
When a new horde game starts it shows you your previous record, but I dont care about that. It should show me the highscores of my friends and tell me to beat them. Same with beast. I want to beat my friends times, not my own. Noone is looking at highscores and comparing them when they are buried deep into the menus. Its espiecally annoying in arcade mode. The whole points system feels useless now unless you want to grind for the medals. Is there even a way to compare scores with friends ?
Whenenver a new chapter begins it should show me friend1, friend2, friend3 have a higher score than me. And when you beat someoneones score they should get a notification like when you have a new medal or ribbon. They should have looked at the autolog feature in need for speed or the rivals mode in forza. A lot of games do this now. They could have even made some more ribbons then for beating a friends highscore.

Libo

Neo Member
reggie said:

The servers aren't as smooth as you think. Australians are placed in Asian dedicated servers, we're pinging anywhere between 150-250ms. The netcode is very good, hence why people like you aren't aware of just how annoying it is when you're gibbed outside of a shotguns range. Thankfully, it's a lot better than playing in P2P servers so I put up with it.

mocoworm

Can anyone help me out ?

How do I see my progress in Gears ?

More specifically which Acts/Chapters I have completed in Co-Op (and with how many players on each)

reggie

Banned
Libo said:
The servers aren't as smooth as you think. Australians are placed in Asian dedicated servers, we're pinging anywhere between 150-250ms. The netcode is very good, hence why people like you aren't aware of just how annoying it is when you're gibbed outside of a shotguns range. Thankfully, it's a lot better than playing in P2P servers so I put up with it.
This was my point. I never said it was perfect, just that it was smooth, and considering the Americans have it better than us their complaints about lag are laughable.

mocoworm said:
Can anyone help me out ?

More specifically which Acts/Chapters I have completed in Co-Op (and with how many players on each)

Go into the campaign menu where you can select chapters/acts and on every tile there will be icons for what difficulty you completed it on, and how many players.

abracadaver

mocoworm said:
Can anyone help me out ?

Right where you select them. On the pictures of each act/chapter are small heads in the lower right corner. There will be 2, 3 or 4 heads depending on with how many players you completed them.

Arjen

reggie said:

So teleporting back and forth over cover is now because you're bad at the game? Got it.
Good for you for not having problems, but other people do.
I know what lag looks and feels like, so don't pul that bulshit that people must be terrible players if they complain.
And way to mis the point about the SoS, everybody knows how to counter it, it's the fact that the gun is annoying and promotes playstyle that people feel like is not what gears is about.

reggie

Banned
Arjen said:
So teleporting back and forth over cover is now because you're bad at the game? Got it.
Good for you for not having problems, but other people do.
I know what lag looks and feels like, so don't pul that bulshit that people must be terrible players if they complain.
If you read my post you would have seen me say that it's also possibly YOUR connection.

Arjen said:
And way to mis the point about the SoS, everybody knows how to counter it, it's the fact that the gun is annoying and promotes playstyle that people feel like is not what gears is about.
If everyone knows how to counter it, then what's the problem?

Arjen

reggie said:
If everyone knows how to counter it, then what's the problem?

Because people like doing shotgun battles? It's been one of the core things that made Gears special. Shotgun battle with a SoS user consist of them popping 1 shot and then running away like a little bitch.
It takes the fun out of the game.

reggie

Banned
Arjen said:
Because people like doing shotgun battles? It's been one of the core things that made Gears special. Shotgun battle with a SoS user consist of them popping 1 shot and then running away like a little bitch.
It takes the fun out of the game.
Oh, I see, you're a shotgun whore. Hint: this game is not Gears 1/2 and never will be. Stop approaching SOS users with the Gnasher, it's very simple. And like someone said earlier, if the players using the SOS were suddenly stripped of it, you still wouldn't be getting the shotgun battles that you crave so much. You'd then be complaining about the lancer or some other weapon. This game is not just about shotguns.

razu

mickcenary said:
Going on this thread, it seems like I'm the only person in the universe to be having a relatively smooth GoW3 experience. I actually can not tell you the last time I was subjected to game-affecting lag and I've been playing almost every night. Go Australia... ?

Nope. Same here.

I used to play Gears 1 on a 50Mb cable connection. I have since moved, and testing my ADSL connection, it's around about 1Mb, not 1MB, 1Mb. I know that it's ping that affects the game more, but even so, you'd imagine a 50Mb cable connection would have a better ping than a 1Mb ADSL...

Cool story huh?

Well, what I'm getting to is that my experience of Gears 3 is the best yet. I'd say that in ten matches, I'll maybe get one that is a tiny bit tweaky, as in you teleport a *tiny* bit, but not a lot. Certainly not the climbing over cover, only to teleport back to the other side. And that's with SuperGhettoInternet.

Combine this with the lack of crab-walking, etc, etc... And then if I add in my experience with MW2—people setting the respawn flares, boosting to nuke, etc, etc—I'd say this is the best shooting game I've played since lunchtime Quake 3 was the thing to do.

Wish more people played Warzone though. And I wish you could swap teams between rounds, and pick the map, and play 19 round matches... And that more people would talk online...

Arjen

reggie said:
Oh, I see, you're a shotgun whore. Hint: this game is not Gears 1/2 and never will be. Stop approaching SOS users with the Gnasher, it's very simple. And like someone said earlier, if the players using the SOS were suddenly stripped of it, you still wouldn't be getting the shotgun battles that you crave so much. You'd then be complaining about the lancer or some other weapon. This game is not just about shotguns.

I think i use my lancer as much as my gnasher, but that's besides the point.
People have been playing gears for almost 5 years, a big part of the appeal is the shotgun battles. You really don't see why people are complaing that after 5 years of playing that game, that big part of the appeal is being dumbed down?

2San

reggie said:
Oh, I see you attack someone by calling some a shotgun whore, but here you are defending another shotgun? Let's call you an unskilled shotgun whore. ^___^ Where's the logic of that? Even if we know how to counter the SOS the problem is that it takes away the speed in the game. If this game isn't about shotguns, why not remove a shotgun that takes no skill to use and is a buzz kill to everyone. Even if the gun isn't overpowered it's a real annoyance to other people. Why are you assuming that because we aren't happy with the SOS we aren't happy with the rifles? Honestly I know enough lancer players getting annoyed by the SOS as well(one being me).

reggie

Banned
2San said:
Oh, I see you attack someone by calling some a shotgun whore, but here you are defending another shotgun? Let's call you an unskilled shotgun whore. ^___^ Where's the logic of that? Even if we know how to counter the SOS the problem is that it takes away the speed in the game. If this game isn't about shotguns, why not remove a shotgun that takes no skill to use and is a buzz kill to everyone. Even if the gun isn't overpowered it's a real annoyance to other people. Why are you assuming that because we aren't happy with the SOS we aren't happy with the rifles? Honestly I know enough lancer players getting annoyed by the SOS as well(one being me).
How does this make sense at all? I called the guy a shotgun whore because he seems to be only concerned about wanting Gnasher shotgun battles in a game which is much more than that. I don't even use the SOS!

Robot Pants said:
Just ignore Reggie. He likes The Room.
If you don't consider The Room to be the best movie ever made you ought to be ashamed.

2San

reggie said:
How does this make sense at all? I called the guy a shotgun whore because he seems to be only concerned about wanting Gnasher shotgun battles in a game which is much more than that. I don't care what weapon you use, I acknowledge that there's a positive a negative to every weapon. I don't even use the SOS!
I'm just assuming shit just like you. See how that doesn't make any sense. If you don't care about shotgun battles, why are you coming here and talking shit? Is it really that hard to understand that while the SOS isn't OPed it kills a lot of fun and it rewards sloppy gameplay. We are complaining since the SOS is stopping Gears from becoming a truly fun game in our perspective.

Obviously there's more to Gears then the shotguns, but IMO the rest of game works fine(as far as weapon balance goes).

reggie

Banned
2San said:
I'm just assuming shit just like you. See how that doesn't make any sense. If you don't care about shotgun battles, why are you coming here and talking shit? Is it really that hard to understand that while the SOS isn't OPed it kills a lot of fun and it rewards sloppy gameplay. We are complaining since the SOS is stopping Gears from becoming a truly fun game in our perspective.
What am I assuming? The guy fucking told me how much he loves Gnasher battles.

2San

reggie said:
What am I assuming? The guy fucking told me how much he loves Gnasher battles.
Just because he loves the Gnasher doesn't mean he's a shotgun whore. I love the Gnasher as well, but I'm pretty well versed with all the weapons, but that's beside the point. Again what are you here for next to talking shit about a subject you don't care about?

reggie

Banned
2San said:
Just because he loves the Gnasher doesn't mean he's a shotgun whore. I love the Gnasher as well, but I'm pretty well versed with all the weapons, but that's beside the point. Again what are you here for next to talking shit about a subject you don't care about?
I don't care? Where did I say this? Obviously I care about this discussion otherwise I wouldn't be talking about it.

reggie

Banned
BTW this idea of the SOS rewarding 'sloppy' gameplay is laughable. What's sloppy is if you get caught by their tactic. YOU are sloppy.

2San

reggie said:
I don't care? Where did I say this? Obviously I care about this discussion otherwise I wouldn't be talking about it.
Yeah, but from what I understand you don't really use shotty's. I really don't understand why you care about this subject? You seem to care about this subject just for the sake of being obnoxious.
reggie said:
BTW this idea of the SOS rewarding 'sloppy' gameplay is laughable. What's sloppy is if you get caught by their tactic. YOU are sloppy.
How so? The whole point for choosing the SOS over the gnasher is the bullet spread so you don't have to aim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom