• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alienshogun said:
Lol see that's another one. He actually says "but" not fuck.
You're kidding me. :|

All those words sounding so deceptively similar had to be done on purpose.

EDIT: Ticker Tuesday ribbon didn't pop for me either btw.

Ballistik

Quick TDM yesterday on Checkout, random teammate of mine is fighting an enemy and gets downed. I rush and down the enemy right next to my teammate because it looks like he was about to execute him. I then make the mistake of picking him up first because the moment he gets up, he fires his shotgun straight at the downed guy and runs away.

Later that game, I'm chasing the last guy before we win and I down him across a piece of cover. Before I even have a chance to reload, same guy comes and blasts my down. Didn't even contribute one bullet to that down.

Next game, he goes 0-10.

I got used to playing with a full team.

Seth Balmore said:
You're kidding me. :|

All those words sounding so deceptively similar had to be done on purpose.

EDIT: Ticker Tuesday ribbon didn't pop for me either btw.
You should probably check your hearing or something. English isn't even my native language and I can hear just fine what he says.

see5harp

Missed your invite last night Ballistik. Was trying to help out some people with Beast on Insane. Right before that I got a round with 28 kills in a regular team deathmatch random game though. Not sure if it was a fluke but I doubt I'll ever have another game like that.

see5harp said:
Missed your invite last night Ballistik. Was trying to help out some people with Beast on Insane. Right before that I got a round with 28 kills in a regular team deathmatch random game though. Not sure if it was a fluke but I doubt I'll ever have another game like that.

All them pistachios, me thinks

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ramirez said:
I gotta say with everything wrong with this game, Ticker Tuesday not counting as an event is pretty low on the list.
Not when the other shit doesn't bother you that much. I mean at least armor lol isn't in this game

Cliff just confirmed on Twitter that Ticker Tuesday won't tick War Supporter.

Sadface!

https://twitter.com/#!/therealcliffyb/status/126386838914088960

Montresor

oddworld18 said:

Sadface!

Lol at "sorry, it doesn't." The War Supporter medal will be impossible to even gold star (isn't that a requirement to unlock one of the mutators?) if random events will not count.

Montresor said:
Lol at "sorry, it doesn't." The War Supporter medal will be impossible to even gold star (isn't that a requirement to unlock one of the mutators?) if random events will not count.

they're clearly using that achievement as bait to keep everyone playing for six months. right now we're getting effectively one tick per week, and we need 30 to get onyx.

epic hates achievement whores, confirmed.

Robot Pants

zlatko said:
And I'm done. I'm trading this game in before I snap it like a fucking twig like I did Gears of War 2.

Dude I'm so curious. Did you really snap the Gears 2 disc in half? Because I did that, too and I thought I might have been a really really rare case. I still have the picture of the aftermath.

Also reading the rage going on in this thread currently (which I mostly agree with) makes me say, "YES! YES! NOW THEY BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND!"

malfcn

oddworld18 said:

Sadface!

The event they have been talking about for 6 months doesn't count?

Arjen

oddworld18 said:

Sadface!

I know i'm never getting 100% in this game, but this is just so fucking dimb.
It's all these little things that keep feeding the hate towards Epic

zlatko

Banned
Robot Pants said:
Dude I'm so curious. Did you really snap the Gears 2 disc in half? Because I did that, too and I thought I might have been a really really rare case. I still have the picture of the aftermath.

Also reading the rage going on in this thread currently (which I mostly agree with) makes me say, "YES! YES! NOW THEY BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND!"

Yes I did snap my disc of Gears of War 2 in half about a month and a half after it came out.

I've never broken any other game, and I had never thrown a controller until today. Gears just knows what to do to set me off...

One of queen Myrrah's quote by the way is just boner inducing. I don't know it word by word, but she says pitiful in it and it sounds like she's about to spit when she says it. Pure disgust.

My favorite Gears quote still goes to Anthony Carmine in Gears 1 when you curb stomp someone and he says, " COME ON BABY! DIE FOR PAPAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Robot Pants

zlatko said:
Yes I did snap my disc of Gears of War 2 in half about a month and a half after it came out.

*High Five*
That's so awesome. I'm not sure when I did it, but I know it was the day of the "latest" TU update. Whichever of the pathetic attempts it was to make that game playable. I played about 2 games, then in the middle of the third I had absolutely had it, took the game out in the middle of the match, broke it, and put it in the garbage where that game belonged (after I took the picture 8D ).
Then I swore to myself, just as you were doing, I would never buy EPIC's bullshit again. I would never buy a single product from them, and really REALLY hoped they went out of business. Literally those 3 things. Then, just like you, I bought into their bullshit again. I played the beta. Kinda liked it, kinda didn't. Thought the SOS and RETRO were useless additions just like everything else they added to the game since 2, but I was a little optimistic about the idea of dedicated servers. Well lol we know how that turned out. And that is the big thing. They've straight up lied to use twice now.

"Great MP experience right out of the box" - Gears 2
"Dedicated servers!!!!!!!" - Gears 3

I really won't buy another EPIC product unless I rent it first.

I love Hoffman's headshot quotes, "Had to happen!" and, "OOOO"
God I miss Gears 1.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Arjen said:
I know i'm never getting 100% in this game, but this is just so fucking dimb.
It's all these little things that keep feeding the hate towards Epic
Yeah, I really do regret getting that season pass now.

Things like Ticker Tuesday not counting just makes me wish I would have abused the every match counting bug at release. I mean when your system is already broken due to that bug what does it hurt to count events like this?

Going on this thread, it seems like I'm the only person in the universe to be having a relatively smooth GoW3 experience. I actually can not tell you the last time I was subjected to game-affecting lag and I've been playing almost every night. Go Australia... ?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
mickcenary said:
Going on this thread, it seems like I'm the only person in the universe to be having a relatively smooth GoW3 experience. I actually can not tell you the last time I was subjected to game-affecting lag and I've been playing almost every night. Go Australia... ?

Nope, I said before I love it, Gears 3 is damn near flawless and I find tremendous humor in much of the rage in this thread. I could give two shits about any other game coming out this fall. I've never been so focused and so happy with a game since Quake 1. The next game I get is going to be Ghost Recon future soldier and that's mostly for coop.

GOW3 will be my adversarial game and Ghost Recon will be my coop game.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
oddworld18 said:
they're clearly using that achievement as bait to keep everyone playing for six months. right now we're getting effectively one tick per week, and we need 30 to get onyx.

epic hates achievement whores, confirmed.

I already have the onyx war supporter medal

ujelly.gif

mickcenary said:

you don't get any lag because you're from the future

X-Frame

mickcenary said:

I'm the same. I'm loving Gears 3.

Yes, maybe 1 in 20 games has some lag but it's nothing backing out and re-joining doesn't fix. Overall, everything has been the exact opposite of Gears 2.

Alienshogun said:
Nope, I said before I love it, Gears 3 is damn near flawless and I find tremendous humor in much of the rage in this thread. I could give two shits about any other game coming out this fall. I've never been so focused and so happy with a game since Quake 1. The next game I get is going to be Ghost Recon future soldier and that's mostly for coop.

GOW3 will be my adversarial game and Ghost Recon will be my coop game.

Ditto on dis. GoW3 will always hold a special place in my heart. As it stands now, I'd happily call it my favourite game ever, purely for its adversarial MP. I haven't really turned my mind to Ghost Recon, but Arkham City does call my name these days (and so, too, will Battlefield 3).

Montresor

Two hilarious, awesome things about Gears 3 multiplayer that, among other things, make this one of the most fun games ever made for me:

1) Hiding behind cover and looking in the opposite direction (instead of looking over the cover). I love doing this. Because sometimes some guy will slowly walk up to you with a shotgun thinking you're looking the other way, thinking they're sneaking up on your from behind, when really I'm staring straight at them. I see them inch their way towards me and then BAM, shotgun to the face.

2) Pretending like you're AFK at the spawn with your shotgun pulled out (I have only done this once or twice, so don't freak out guys). I always get punks who walk towards me slowly trying to feast on an easy shotgun kill. I wait till they're close and then BAM. :lol

lush

I'm really having a great time with this game as well. Lag hasn't been much of a problem for me although I do run into it occasionally. Spawns can be a problem and the map rotation is kind of disappointing sometimes. Remove the SOS and you'd have the best(or tied with the best) multiplayer on current consoles.

Lima

And beast mode done. Onyx #31 in the house.

I might actually get Seriously 3.0 this year and win the bet.

Also "I love that pop!"

Oh and A.Carmine is best Carmine. So funny hearing him talk shit while playing.

see5harp

To be honest...I've had a single bad night out of many playing this game. SOS never pissed me off enough to stop playing and I love Horde mode here and there. It's by far the best Gears game online so I don't see where people are coming from I guess.

Ballistik

mickcenary said:
No, I have a good experience too. Always on dedicated servers, always finding games in a matter of seconds.

I just don't even mention it because like you figured, seems like not many are having a good time.

Montresor said:
2) Pretending like you're AFK at the spawn with your shotgun pulled out (I have only done this once or twice, so don't freak out guys). I always get punks who walk towards me slowly trying to feast on an easy shotgun kill. I wait till they're close and then BAM. :lol

You are the reason I always kill AFK people from range with the Lancer!

Ballistik said:
No, I have a good experience too. Always on dedicated servers, always finding games in a matter of seconds.
I just don't even mention it because like you figured, seems like not many are having a good time.

Probably one of the best things about the MP in this game. There can be maybe 35 people online and I'll still be placed in a good game within 5 seconds. It encourages my rage-quitting something shocking :).

Teknoman

A27 Tawpgun said:
Gears is the only game I know where people cry that much over a "stolen kill"

Some people get a little mad in Halo but in Gears its 10x worse. Go for wins. Not kills.

I think people get mad since you can only unlock certain things if you get kills with a specific weapon.

Anyone having trouble with the Y execution prompt not activating as soon as you press the button? I thought it was press to stomp, press and hold for special execution...but sometimes you'll press Y and nothing happens or the prompt will disappear then come back.

Ballistik

Here's a tip for you guys, (well maybe common sense to a lot of you) but when you're behind cover and an enemy is rushing you with their Gnasher, you can pretty much bet that he will come from your left side. I've been doing this since Gears 2, that I just sit in cover and I aim out to my left and wait for them to pop up, thus avoiding any crazy shotty wallbouncing battle. Also helps to crouch before peeking out. I'm not saying it works every time, because sometimes they will roll to your right instead :p

Montresor said:
Two hilarious, awesome things about Gears 3 multiplayer that, among other things, make this one of the most fun games ever made for me:

1) Hiding behind cover and looking in the opposite direction (instead of looking over the cover). I love doing this. Because sometimes some guy will slowly walk up to you with a shotgun thinking you're looking the other way, thinking they're sneaking up on your from behind, when really I'm staring straight at them. I see them inch their way towards me and then BAM, shotgun to the face.

I do this one ALL the time. If I see someone while in cover behind me, I just stay put and wait for them to get close and blast them before they even get to shoot.

Teknoman

zlatko said:
And I'm done. I'm trading this game in before I snap it like a fucking twig like I did Gears of War 2.

For the first time in my life I just threw a controller on the ground in fucking rage.

I am never buying into Cliff B's fucking bull shit hype again. Game in game out of Sawed off retro users camping and more bull shit than I can count. Hopping over cover teleport fails, hosts going 26 and 7, draining 900 bullets in a guy with Lancer and he SHOOTS AT A FUCKING WALL and gets a kill on me, and more monkey crap my brain can't even handle.

Fuck the sawed off, fuck any of you who say that gun deserves to exist, and fuck EPIC for lying out their god damn teeth about dedicated servers. I hope they go under and are forced to make shovel ware like SEGA.

Sega doesnt make shovelware :(

Also I dont think i've had a laggy match or match where strange things happen yet. I've been cursed out once or twice, and someone going "Oh my god" every time they got killed, but thats about it. Nothing that seemed like host advantage...dont think I could ever snap a 60 dollar game in two either :p

Personally I use the Retro and Gnasher and havent had a problem with people camping insane amounts of time. SOS rushes? Sure, but alot of the time I had enough time to react, and just didnt make the right evasive choice (run away, dont stay and fight).

malfcn

zlatko said:

For the first time in my life I just threw a controller on the ground in fucking rage.

I am never buying into Cliff B's fucking bull shit hype again. Game in game out of Sawed off retro users camping and more bull shit than I can count. Hopping over cover teleport fails, hosts going 26 and 7, draining 900 bullets in a guy with Lancer and he SHOOTS AT A FUCKING WALL and gets a kill on me, and more monkey crap my brain can't even handle.

Fuck the sawed off, fuck any of you who say that gun deserves to exist, and fuck EPIC for lying out their god damn teeth about dedicated servers. I hope they go under and are forced to make shovel ware like SEGA.

But I read on Twitter that +99% of matches are on dedis.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
malfcn said:
But I read on Twitter that +99% of matches are on dedis.

I would believe it to be honest. The game runs fantastic most of the time.

The thing is people don't want to admit they lose because they suck, or because someone is better than them or the just played like shit that round. So it's either "lag/dedis being off," "Host," "Broken weapons," or what have you. People just WON'T admit it was their fault.

Smooth games are far more common than laggy ones, but it's amazing how many times the other team will claim some outside force that seems to have effected their performance.

I would bet the same holds true here with most people complaining. Whether it's their failure to adapt to new weapons, their skills not holding up on dedicated server, them having a bad day, or whatever, the complaining here is absurd, at least IMO.

Lima

Yeah. I'm from Europe and I've played 2-3 really bad matches where I had to quit because I couldn't even properly move around the map. Other than that all my games have been smooth so far.

lush

Alienshogun said:

The thing is people don't want to admit they lose because they suck, or because someone is better than them or the just played like shit that round. So it's either "lag/dedis being off," "Host," "Broken weapons," or what have you. People just WON'T admit it was their fault.

Smooth games are far more common than laggy ones, but it's amazing how many times the other team will claim some outside force that seems to have effected their performance.

I would bet the same holds true here with most people complaining. Whether it's their failure to adapt to new weapons, their skills not holding up on dedicated server, them having a bad day, or whatever, the complaining here is absurd, at least IMO.
Yeah I really don't see how people can complain about lag in this game, especially after Gears of War 2. This game is buttery smooth.

TRios Zen

Alienshogun said:

I'd actually love to have some kind of ISP / geographic location location poll along with people's K/D to look for trends. Now I'm NOT suggesting that connections = skill, HAHA, I am completely willing to acknowledge when I'm outplayed, but I think it would be interesting information to sift through.

Last couple of times I ran into someone who I had a ton of trouble downing (ie, in my mind they were bullet sponges who took a metric ton of shots just to down) I would check their stats post game, and almost invariably these were 2+ or 3+ K/D ratios. Hell I found a 95 with a 4+ K/D ratio. So while I definitely think some of those kids were very skilled, I also think if I could take the kinds of shots they took without going down, I'd have a higher K/D too.

Apparently, there are gaffers here who aren't having any trouble though (as noted in yours and others posts above, not singling you out) so I wonder if there are some connections that are more prone to experiencing lag than others.

Believe me when I say this is NOT about me trying to prove I'm an elite player, I am not, I will readily admit that. I play cause I have fun with it, and generally can compete in the game. So I'm on no witch hunt to prove "it's only connections" or "I'm better than my K/D shows". Nah, I'm simply a dedicated player who loves the shit out of this game and just want to understand the ambiguities that the tech side adds to the game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
TRios Zen said:
I'd actually love to have some kind of ISP / geographic location location poll along with people's K/D to look for trends. Now I'm NOT suggesting that connections = skill, HAHA, I am completely willing to acknowledge when I'm outplayed, but I think it would be interesting information to sift through.

Last couple of times I ran into someone who I had a ton of trouble downing (ie, in my mind they were bullet sponges who took a metric ton of shots just to down) I would check their stats post game, and almost invariably these were 2+ or 3+ K/D ratios. Hell I found a 95 with a 4+ K/D ratio. So while I definitely think some of those kids were very skilled, I also think if I could take the kinds of shots they took without going down, I'd have a higher K/D too.

Apparently, there are gaffers here who aren't having any trouble though (as noted in yours and others posts above, not singling you out) so I wonder if there are some connections that are more prone to experiencing lag than others.

Believe me when I say this is NOT about me trying to prove I'm an elite player, I am not, I will readily admit that. I play cause I have fun with it, and generally can compete in the game. So I'm on no witch hunt to prove "it's only connections" or "I'm better than my K/D shows". Nah, I'm simply a dedicated player who loves the shit out of this game and just want to understand the ambiguities that the tech side adds to the game.

I've also noticed a lot of people who think the other guy is "sponging" are actually missing their shots. Should add that to your equation. ;)

Teknoman

Alienshogun said:
I've also noticed a lot of people who think the other guy is "sponging" are actually missing their shots. Should add that to your equation. ;)

Thats true. If I can down someone from really far with some well placed retro lancer shots, and with a pretty average connection, I dont think network issues are that much of a problem with Gears 3.

TRios Zen

Alienshogun said:

In CQB, that's totally possible too - things are frenetic, you think you should have hit the guy so assume you did - sure - I hear you.

Nah, I'm talking about the guy that rushes through your lancer fire like there's no stopping power what-so-ever to one shot you. You know when you are missing those or not. Or the guy who you see his character react to your gnasher shots twice, from close range, but still doesn't go down.

Every time I play? Hell no, I've had some great matches on Gears 3 both where my team has won AND lost. But it has happened. Last night similar experiences or lag happened in my first three games, so I put MP down and played Horde.

Alienshogun said:

QFT.

I've had my problems with SOS users in the first weeks as well. But I adapted faster than I thought I would and since then I've not even once doubted that it was my own fault for dieing. It's totally different than it was in Gears 2, where it was in fact connection issues most of the time.
But I have always accepted when someone else was better than me, instead of crying for host advantage (even though someone wasn't host anyway), cheaters and connection issues like many of my friends tend to.

Montresor

So I shouldn't bother with Ticker horde right? Definitely no war supporter medal?

Fudge, still, all tickers is probably easy as hell. Maybe I could have taken care of horde on insane but there's only two hours left in the day.

Montresor said:
So I shouldn't bother with Ticker horde right? Definitely no war supporter medal?

Fudge, still, all tickers is probably easy as hell. Maybe I could have taken care of horde on insane but there's only two hours left in the day.

It is actually kind of annoying since it is not just Tickers and the explosions radius is increased. You can kick a Ticker away, shoot it, and still take damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom