• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
_dementia said:
Gotta go fast.

Heh, If I ever get that game, I'll probably just bee too tempted to go around and do batman shit instead of progressing the story missions.

So why not still get it? It's fun being the batman. ;)

sajj316

TRios Zen said:
Seriously? I just melee a couple times (in the open obviously) to initiate, I had no idea there was a dance to it. Never noticed that when opposing players did it either.

Is there a rule book for this stuff?? HAHA.

Unofficial rules of engagement. I do wish Epic makes this official and potentially put in a taunt or something in future games to initiate a versus shotgun battle. If initiated, highlight the shotgun battle players so douches don't ruin.

Oh and Cliff, this is MY idea! I know you're lurking :)

LowParry

_dementia said:
Are you on Gridlock?

No, it wasn't Mad World that was playing .It was the same piece of music throughout the entire matchmaking. I didn't mind cause it made MP that much more fun. Sounded something from the game's ost itself so it could of glitched in or something.

CcrooK said:
No, it wasn't Mad World that was playing .It was the same piece of music throughout the entire matchmaking. I didn't mind cause it made MP that much more fun. Sounded something from the game's ost itself so it could of glitched in or something.
Oh, that's interesting. I haven't run into that personally, but I do enjoy playing the Gears 1 OST during MP via custom soundtracks.

wow, I love it how epic listens!

this should be a good test to see if oldschool gametypes get a boost. hopefully, if enough people start playing they will change the regular execution/warzone to 5 rounds and gnasher-only permanently.

anyone know what this Impossible Mission is? Nov25-Dec21. seems like it might be a community challenge. say, getting a certain amount of horde waves done in that time frame.

LowParry

_dementia said:
Oh, that's interesting. I haven't run into that personally, but I do enjoy playing the Gears 1 OST during MP via custom soundtracks.

I'll usually have Rolling Thunder from Gears 2 playing every so often. The footsteps are loud enough for me to hear incoming SOSers.

Ballistik

Gnasher only? 5 ROUNDS?! Well there goes the possibility of enjoying my weekend doing anything other than Gears.

Who's down to roll with me Friday and Saturday nights?!

Ballistik said:
Gnasher only? 5 ROUNDS?! Well there goes the possibility of enjoying my weekend doing anything other than Gears.

Who's down to roll with me Friday and Saturday nights?!

I don't know if I'm good enough for the Gears GAF elite crowd but I'm in. My stats are not spectacular but I play with randoms 90% of the time and mostly play Team Deathmatch.... so yeah. I have done considerably well when playing with other GAF members and PXG's groups so I know it's not just me.

or is it? :(

GT: ROBO KITTYZILLA

Add me!

CcrooK said:
Happened to me once. A track from the first act of the campaign played in the background for 3 KoTH matches a couple weeks ago. I quit that lobby after everyone left and it was all bots, the music didn't play on the next one. Never happened again, so I imagined it was just a glitch.

About the Hardcore weekend, btw... Rod just confirmed it's gonna be like Torque Bow Tag but with Gnashers instead of Torques. So it's not a classic setup that restricts the SOS, but Gnasher + Snub + smokes.

Just got the game yesterday and played through single player on normal in 2 sittings, had to take a dinner break of course. Anyways I always enjoyed gears sp for some reason but this one seemed to have the weakest story of all 3, pretty much zero story until the last 20 min.

I've been playing MP all morning since thats what I really bought the game for anyways, just doing some TDM. I love how I'm playing solo and not in a party yet I'll end up on a team of people around my lvl, lvl 10 and we're fighting full teams of 40+, fucking stupid match making.

Liferebooted said:
Just got the game yesterday and played through single player on normal in 2 sittings, had to take a dinner break of course. Anyways I always enjoyed gears sp for some reason but this one seemed to have the weakest story of all 3, pretty much zero story until the last 20 min.

I've been playing MP all morning since thats what I really bought the game for anyways, just doing some TDM. I love how I'm playing solo and not in a party yet I'll end up on a team of people around my lvl, lvl 10 and we're fighting full teams of 40+, fucking stupid match making.

lv has nothing to do with skill, its just a measure of how long people have played so far. as for actual matchmaking, nobody knows if it's being used.

you should add yourself to one of the GearsGAF tags and get a team going. it's like night and day when you have people to talk to and coordinate with.

CcrooK said:
I may have missed it a few pages back but was anyone getting a random piece of music during MP or Horde?
That's a glitch. You'll hear the music forever until you reboot the game. After a few matches it was just annoying and I had to turn the music off in the options.

TRios Zen

Liferebooted said:

I believe that Quick Match, match-making is just that, finds the quickest available match for you to join, regardless of skill level.

Ranked matches on the other hand use the "True-skill" matchmaking (created by Bungie for Halo 2??) to find teams of equal skill.

At least I'm pretty sure that is how it works.

Playing better players isn't a bad thing though, helps you learn. Playing a better TEAM that also has better players = an ass-kicking in Gears 3. I normally run with 4 other guys and we can all hang on our own, but too often we get caught lone-wolfing it and we can be decimated by a good TEAM.

Peter Knepley tweeted there's no smokes in the Gnasher only playlist and that the game mode will be Execution only, not TDM as most people assumed.

He also explained Snub remains to allow the use of meatshields/boomshields.

Seth Balmore said:
Peter Knepley tweeted there's no smokes in the Gnasher only playlist and that the game mode will be Execution only, not TDM as most people assumed.

He also explained Snub remains to allow the use of meatshields/boomshields.

ugh.. it sounds like Torque Bow Tag only with Gnashers. I would just prefer a normal playlist without the SOS. I'm still looking forward to the 5 round Warzone and Execution though.

zlatko

Banned
Servers are up or at least they were for all the games of TDM I just played. Super smooth gaming session. Even had this clutch no scope head shot with sniper that lead to us winning.

BF3 in 6 days. Batman hopefully tomorrow or day after until then. I'll probably be away from Gears till December. Glad my last session today was such a good one.

That Gnasher playlist thing they are doing, if I'm reading what Seth put up there correctly, then you can still start off with SOS right?

Robot Pants

zlatko said:
Simply put, a SOS user around a corner results in you having to give up on him and going to a different part of the map. No other weapon you spawn with can do this. Power weapons should have this kind of effect. You should be afraid of boomers, torque, diggers, etc near you, but spawn weapons being able to control map space like that is idiotic.

oh god, so much this!!!!!!!
The starting weapons are easier to use and arguably more powerful than the Power weapons this time around.

zlatko said:
That Gnasher playlist thing they are doing, if I'm reading what Seth put up there correctly, then you can still start off with SOS right?
No no no. As far as I know, it will be a separate playlist where the game mode is Execution, you spawn with Gnasher and Snub only and all pickups on the map are Gnashers.

Then outside of that, regular Execution and Warzone will be bumped to 5 victories to win instead of 3 and there will be no weapon swaps, so you can still spawn with your preferred starting weapons.

Finally, the difficulty for Public Horde and Beast will be set to Hardcore. I think that covers all Hardcore weekend will offer.

Tawpgun

Been saying that since the star and SOS users have yet to offer a good answer.

It's the only starting weapon that can lock down an area like that with such minimal effort.

The only starting weapon you fear to go near.

Spooka

ThirdEngine said:
Surprisingly, the servers seemed to iron themselves out after you two left last night. We ended up playing for quite a bit with little to no problems. I think the game was punishing you for stealing kills. D;

Or punishing him for refusing to use anything other than the SOS and letting teammates needlessly die...

zlatko

Banned
Seth Balmore said:
No no no. As far as I know, it will be a separate playlist where the game mode is Execution, you spawn with Gnasher and Snub only and all pickups on the map are Gnashers.

Then outside of that, regular Execution and Warzone will be bumped to 5 victories to win instead of 3 and there will be no weapon swaps, so you can still spawn with your preferred starting weapons.

Finally, the difficulty for Public Horde and Beast will be set to Hardcore. I think that covers all Hardcore weekend will offer.

Oh nice. If I'm not in full on Batman mode I may have to dip into it. Any word if it'll be on dedi's? I missed out on Torque tag so I wasn't sure if it had a Ranked version on dedi's of it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
mrfolego said:
When is the appropriate time to leave matches? I have almost fifty ranked disconnects :/

I think you have to wait for the next match making lookup. There should be a little timer at the top

I have 7 disconnects and I'm not sure how I got them either.

mrfolego said:
When is the appropriate time to leave matches? I have almost fifty ranked disconnects :/

If you're playing ranked just wait until the match ends and then back out of the menu so it doesn't auto search for another match. Quitting at any other time will result in a ranked disconnect as far as I know.

Lima

Just got into a quick tdm with randoms. Went 18-6 and all 6 deaths by the SOS. Next thing I did? Rage quit.

Fuck this game.

reggie

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Been saying that since the star and SOS users have yet to offer a good answer.

It's the only starting weapon that can lock down an area like that with such minimal effort.

The only starting weapon you fear to go near.
You fear going near it? lol. It has the opposite effect on me, I know when I see a SOS they are already dead. They are all predictable, use that to your advantage!

whitehawk

Banned
I had an amazing game recently, got close to 50 kills in a KOTH match. I realized why I was doing so good. Most people were using the gnasher. When I'm against someone else with a gnasher, I usually win. It's the god damn SOS that kills me...

Wow, hit lvl 15 and killed some random kid when I was toying around with the SOS since everyone was using shotguns. As soon as we get to the score screen he starts going fucking batshit insane about me killing him with the SOS. I really need a way to record my 360 for youtube =[

Ballistik

reggie said:
Exactly, people whine unless they get the perfect game. If it wasn't the SOS it would be something else.
I remember Gears 1 was all about that chainsaw sucking you in from a large distance being cheap. Gears 2's cheap strategy was the two piece. Gears 3 has the SOS being cheap. There always is something to complain about. :/

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Ballistik said:
I remember Gears 1 was all about that chainsaw sucking you in from a large distance being cheap. Gears 2's cheap strategy was the two piece. Gears 3 has the SOS being cheap. There always is something to complain about. :/

the chainsaw was fixed in 2 and the two piece was fixed in 3

just saying

see5harp

Hey hardcore weekend. People asked for it so here it is. Prepare to dominate these kiddies (I suspect SOS users will just retreat to the normal playlist). Anyways I'm glad Epic is doing something for the old schoolers.

zlatko

Banned
Ballistik said:
I remember Gears 1 was all about that Sniper rifle active shot downs being cheap. Gears 2's cheap strategy was the two piece. Gears 3 has the SOS being cheap. There always is something to complain about. :/

Fixed the Gears 1 cheap thing. ;)

see5harp

D4Danger said:
the chainsaw was fixed in 2 and the two piece was fixed in 3

just saying

So glad the two piece is trumped by a single gnasher now. No one even tries it anymore.

EDIT: that active sniper shoot, run away, reload tactic was so dirty in Gears 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom