• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Pretty crazy Nov/DEC are both getting DLC. Guess they really want to keep people focused on Gears as all the other shit hits.

zlatko said:
It could be. I'll be moving next month to Colorado, so I'll have access to better internet providers. So if it's on my end that should clear it up.

I have had host migrations, but only a handful. Only happened when our team was about to win. :p

My bad on the false info. *eats crow*

Well, host migration is pretty good indisputable evidence of servers being off, lol.

I hope your connection gets better when you move. I liked Denver when I drove through it on my way back to STL.

No worries on the "bad info" happens to all of us at one time or another.

zlatko

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Wait, I just realized. Pretty crazy Nov/DEC are both getting DLC. Guess they really want to keep people focused on Gears as all the other shit hits.

Well, host migration is pretty good indisputable evidence of servers being off, lol.

I hope your connection gets better when you move. I liked Denver when I drove through it on my way back to STL.

No worries on the "bad info" happens to all of us at one time or another.

Yup I'll be in the Denver region. Big upgrade from North Dakota, and currently Nebraska. :p

I agree that the reason DLC is probably being pushed so fast is to keep the disc in the trey during all these other big titles. Smart move, and the RAAM DLC I will be purchasing if the GAF impressions hold up and say it's worth it.

Arjen

zlatko said:
Yup I'll be in the Denver region. Big upgrade from North Dakota, and currently Nebraska. :p

I agree that the reason DLC is probably being pushed so fast is to keep the disc in the trey during all these other big titles. Smart move, and the RAAM DLC I will be purchasing if the GAF impressions hold up and say it's worth it.

Denver was one of my biggest suprises regarding places in the US. I really, really liked it.

zlatko

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:
I like how zlatko just keeps coming back. That's when you know you're a fan of Gears, when you get pissed off and threaten divorce, but come back anyway.

It's an abusive relationship. When she's good to me she's the most beautiful girl in the world. When she's had one too many to drink, she beats me senseless to feel like a pile of shit.

My issue is I'm stubborn to not just put the game down right away if I have 3 bad games in a row, because I don't like logging off on a bad note. If I could just put it down during these bad streaks then it'd be all good.

Poor _dementia is on ban, and I bet it's eating at him not to be able to discuss the DLC. *pours one out for _dementia*

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
zlatko said:
It's an abusive relationship. When she's good to me she's the most beautiful girl in the world. When she's had one too many to drink, she beats me senseless to feel like a pile of shit.

My issue is I'm stubborn to not just put the game down right away if I have 3 bad games in a row, because I don't like logging off on a bad note. If I could just put it down during these bad streaks then it'd be all good.

Poor _dementia is on ban, and I bet it's eating at him not to be able to discuss the DLC. *pours one out for _dementia*

What's he banned for?

Also, wife is buying me BF3 for an early veterans day present. So I'll be doing a little of that and a lot of Gears.

Probably just play BF3 as my fuck around game.

zlatko

Banned
Alienshogun said:
What's he banned for?

Also, wife is buying me BF3 for an early veterans day present. So I'll be doing a little of that and a lot of Gears.

Probably just play BF3 as my fuck around game.

I'll be hitting up BF3 as well for my PC. I enjoyed Bad Company 2 on PC in short spurts, and it's nice to have another MP game to mess around with. Until Future Soldier anyway. ;)

He got banned for saying Jade Raymond is beautiful in a thread about her that derailed into the usual, "OMG HOT WOMEN IN GAMES WTF MARRY ME."

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
zlatko said:
I'll be hitting up BF3 as well for my PC. I enjoyed Bad Company 2 on PC in short spurts, and it's nice to have another MP game to mess around with. Until Future Soldier anyway. ;)

He got banned for saying Jade Raymond is beautiful in a thread about her that derailed into the usual, "OMG HOT WOMEN IN GAMES WTF MARRY ME."

Ah, that sucks.

Future soldier beta in January too btw.

I think she's getting it (BF3) for 360 for me.

To be honest that's fine. I don't have a 5.1 sound card on my PC and I have astros on my 360. Plus I prefer controller over M&KB these days.

zlatko

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Ah, that sucks.

To be honest that's fine. I don't have a 5.1 sound card on my PC and I have astros on my 360. Plus I prefer controller over M&KB these days.

I was going to hit up 360 version initially because I prefer controller too, but then I saw how much of a difference you are getting in terms of map size and player counts between the two, and so I'll take getting worse scores on m/kb for the benefit of larger maps and more people on the battlefield.

Hopefully I can score a beta since I don't have conviction.

Gears 3 question: What did you guys set it to to unlock classic Marcus in private matches? I saw him for the first time last night and I was digging the outfit quite a lot. In the comics/books Jace wears an armor to mimic Marcus' look, and it's cool that this classic Marcus outfit is the one that Jace is mimicking. I think...

abracadaver said:
Do you think there will be a free mappack coming soon ?

They have to get the files of all those new characters and weapon skins to all the players somehow. Rod said they will announce when the 3 horde maps will be coming to matchmaking multiplayer on Nov 1st.

I hope they can fix A. Carmine and the classic skins along the way
They'll just put the weapon and character skins in the Title Updates. There really isn't a limit to the TUs anymore, so they can shove 50MB in there if they want to.

There is no way in hell they are going to give us a free map pack.

abracadaver

AndyMoogle said:
They'll just put the weapon and character skins in the Title Updates. There really isn't a limit to the TUs anymore, so they can shove 50MB in there if they want to.

I don't think thats true

Lima

abracadaver said:
I don't think thats true

He is right. Title updates don't get stored exclusively in the cache anymore. Back in the days the cache could only hold 6 title updates at a time.

Big title updates for games are nothing unusual. Also look at the gears beta where the beta was essentially downloaded as a big 700mb title update.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
AndyMoogle said:

Rod already said we will be getting free content at some point.

see5harp

Ballistik said:
Dude, no. I'm a 95 and P2P has NEVER happened to me in quick/ranked. Only Horde and beast.

So frustrating and confusing that people STILL complain when my experience has been butter smooth. Seriously, WTF.

Last night it wasn't so good for me in 1 match out of about 7 or 8. But really that was just a one or two hitches so it wasn't like a match long issue or anything. Finally got a clutch medal playing randoms.

abracadaver

Lima said:
He is right. Title updates don't get stored exclusively in the cache anymore. Back in the days the cache could only hold 6 title updates at a time.

Big title updates for games are nothing unusual. Also look at the gears beta where the beta was essentially downloaded as a big 700mb title update.

I havent seen a single big title update yet. The beta might have been a diffent thing because it was a beta. Can you name some games with big updates ?

abracadaver said:
I don't think thats true
I'm sure there is a technical limit, but it's no longer a measly 4MB or whatever it used to be. Nowadays games can store the TUs in the game folder instead of the cache.

abracadaver said:
I havent seen a single big title update yet. The beta might have been a diffent thing because it was a beta. Can you name some games with big updates ?
The beta wasn't a title update. The title update for Bulletstorm however was ~92MB.

I remember one game recently having a 12MB TU.

EDIT: After a quick google search I see that Fallout: New Vegas had a ~15MB TU, and CoD: Black Ops had a ~19MB TU.

zlatko

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Yep, he's said it more than once.

Gears 1 eventually made map packs free right? What if these first maps that people have found to be on disc are what we'll get to be included into MP for free? It makes the most logical sense when you think about it.

zlatko said:
Gears 1 eventually made map packs free right? What if these first maps that people have found to be on disc are what we'll get to be included into MP for free? It makes the most logical sense when you think about it.
Uh, that would not be like giving out a free map pack. We are paying for the first DLC. They can't claim that we would have to pay more to get those maps into multiplayer. That would just be sad and hilarious at the same time.

At best I think we will get free weapon skins or something crappy like that.

zlatko

Banned
AndyMoogle said:
Uh, that would not be like giving out a free map pack. We are paying for the first DLC. They can't claim that we would have to pay more to get those maps into multiplayer. That would just be sad and hilarious at the same time.

At best I think we will get free weapon skins or something crappy like that.

Gears 1's maps were charged for at first? Or were they all free out of the gate? My memory is hazy on that, but I thought it was charged price, then months down the line they became free.

So what if these on disc maps which are part of the first DLC (blood drive, azura, rust lung), are essentially being paid for through season pass/early adopters, and then a few months later get put into the MP map pool for everyone at no cost? The benefits people who buy them early on gain are the other Horde stuff, the MP skins, and being able to play them in private matches.

It could happen, but I agree with you that it's more likely some MP skins and gun colors. :p

TRios Zen

Alienshogun said:
Ah, that sucks.

I'm looking forward to Ramm's Shadow more than Horde Command (or whatever the first DLC is). I'd like them both equally if them maps were for MP day and date with release. Going to have to pick up that season pass soon.

Off topic - the astros worth the price of admission? I considered jumping in, but the price makes me hesitant. Not because I'm worried about spending the cash, I'm worried about wasting the cash if there is no marked difference. Currently using Tritton AX720's.

Tawpgun

reggie said:
You fear going near it? lol. It has the opposite effect on me, I know when I see a SOS they are already dead. They are all predictable, use that to your advantage!
Teach me whatever wizardry allows you to beat someone with a sawed off.

If you say back up and rifle them you need not respond.

zlatko

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Teach me whatever wizardry allows you to beat someone with a sawed off.

If you say back up and rifle them you need not respond.

The best feeling is when a SOS user is around a corner or rushes you when you have digger and you launch it right into their chest.

TaWiH.gif

Makes me do that motion to the screen whenever I land it. :)

TRios Zen

zlatko said:
The best feeling is when a SOS user is around a corner or rushes you when you have digger and you launch it right into their chest.

notsurewhattocallthis.img

Makes me do that motion to the screen whenever I land it. :)

I have to admit - there is something special about landing a digger shot against any corner-camper. Love the way they just stand there shaking before they explode all violent like.

razu

zlatko said:
Gears 1's maps were charged for at first? Or were they all free out of the gate? My memory is hazy on that, but I thought it was charged price, then months down the line they became free.

Weren't they sponsored by a TV channel, or something equally weird...?

this new DLC has left me optimistic.
It sounds good, 3hours of gameplay and finally playing on the Locust side during a campaign setting.
I'm even thinking of getting the season pass despite the shitty decision to leave the HordeDLC maps out of the Versus rotation.

so, no VS maps with HordeDLC and no VS maps with RaamDLC has me thinking they might pull a rabbit out of their ass and give everyone free maps when the time comes. of course if they FUCKUP and charge for VSmaps when the VersusDLC hits it won't go very well with the playerbase.

please don't get me wrong, any DLC is good news. but MP is the bread&butter of the gears experience. we want/need/expect MAPS.

mernst23

razu said:
Weren't they sponsored by a TV channel, or something equally weird...?

Futureweapons! But that was only Raven Down and Old Bones

The Annex DLC had Bullet Marsh, Process, Garden, and Subway and they charged for that

The only good maps from all of those was Raven Down and Process. I could tolerate Garden but the other 3 were shit maps. I hate subway to this day, glitchy map in the first game, glitchy map in the 2nd game, and impossible to balance because absolutely no symmetry

Edit: I was bored at work so I ranked all the maps
Tier 1: Never tire of these maps
1. Gridlock
2. Raven Down
3. War Machine
4. Blood Drive
5. Mercy

Tier 2: Good maps to play, fair, balanced, great
6. Canals
7. Jacinto
8. Checkout
9. Allfathers Garden
10. Fuel Depot
11. Drydock
12. Clock Tower
13. Courtyard

Tier 3:
14. River
15. Gold Rush
16. Process
17. Hotel
18. Avalanche
19. Underhill
20. Old Town
21. Sandbar
22. Nowhere
23. Thrashball
24. Ruins
25. Memorial

Tier 4: This is where we enter playable but not great
26. Sanctuary
27. Day One (Really had high hopes for this since it's a Raven down clone but they made the spawn roads too long and had too many choke points to mantle over which made no one do anything besides rush 2nd floors)
28. Pavilion (Would be a top tier map if it wasn't for the single point of entry campfest)
29. Overpass
30. Garden
31. Mansion (Only this bad because of Gears 2, this map was great in Gears one because active sniper could put the boomshot on his ass so it wouldn't dominate the map; They really needed to swap the boom out with the torque in Gears 2 and leave the sniper on the balcony for every round)
32. Way Station
33. Escalation
34. Tyro Station
35. Security
36. Flood
37. Rooftops
38. Trenches
39. Fuel Station

Tier 5: Absolute trash
40. Subway
41. Highway
42. Grind Yard
43. Stasis
44. Hail
45. Bullet Marsh
46. Old Bones
47. Mausoleum

The first Gears 1 DLC was 100% free. It was sponsored by that FutureWeapons show on Discovery Channel. It was the pack that had the maps Raven Down and Old Bones.

The second Gears 1 DLC was $10 initially (which, of course, sent everyone into a fury since this was back in 2007). It had Bullet Marsh, Process, Garden, and Subway. It went free after 4 months.

I loved the original DLC model of stuff going free after a certain amount of time.

see5harp

TRios Zen said:
I have to admit - there is something special about landing a digger shot against any corner-camper. Love the way they just stand there shaking before they explode all violent like.

Did that last night against a couple gridlock campers who killed 3 or 4 of our guys to come back from 6 down. When I saw "no respawns" I just lost my cool and rushed up there. Fired the first digger directly into one and got a double kill for the round win.

TRios Zen

mernst23 said:
Futureweapons! But that was only Raven Down and Old Bones

The Annex ...long post

The fact that you have Mausoleum and Old Bones, BELOW Blood Drive has me doubting the veracity of your entire post. HAHA, opinions are opinions and all that but I'd have a tier below your "Absolute Trash" tier and reserve that specifically for Blood Drive. I'd forget that map ever existed if I could.

The funneling to the single worthy power weapon early, the camp-fest (now with grenades!) as the match wore on... the single entry spawn with over-looking access to the primary approach... I honestly feel their isn't a thing they did right with this map!

Arjen

Man, i had such good games tonight, the good thing about hating things so much (which would be the sos) is that it feels so great to punish and destroy them non stop.

mernst23

TRios Zen said:
The fact that you have Mausoleum and Old Bones, BELOW Blood Drive has me doubting the veracity of your entire post. HAHA, opinions are opinions and all that but I'd have a tier below your "Absolute Trash" tier and reserve that specifically for Blood Drive. I'd forget that map ever existed if I could.

The funneling to the single worthy power weapon early, the camp-fest (now with grenades!) as the match wore on... the single entry spawn with over-looking access to the primary approach... I honestly feel their isn't a thing they did right with this map!

The worst part about Blood Drive was when your team wasn't smart enough to lancer the absolute hell out of anyone who dared to go for that power weapon first; but when they did that was completely fixed. Can't tell you how many times I toss my grenades into the other persons window and nailed them from behind; that fixed the camping fairly quickly, that and the Torque bow.

Couldn't tell you how many times i'd hammerburst down the guy going for the gun, he'd get revived; by that time the guy who revived him was down from my active and i'm out of bullets and then he revives the first guy and they both retreat or I get shotgunned from behind because my team is on the top of the steps, but that's a team problem and not a map problem.

mernst23

malfcn said:
Toe to toe with a SOS and both pull. I get gibbed and he takes no damage?

Oh, and Maso and Old Bones were great.

They were awful, Maso was either a Rotunda shitshow in the center for boom with spammed grenades for good measure or running until time ran out every other match because there was so much cover to retreat with. Old Bones was just boring, it was way too open and aimless.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
D4Danger said:
I know that feel
Poorly designed shit once again... Honestly, I really think its clear they don't play the game on the hardest difficulty and leave it up to testers. Infinite respawning meat bags and flying turrets. Turrets which fall down and one shit anything below...well you at least. Followed by a stationary one shot boss who you have a time limit against.

Lets add on so many crappy players for coop, where you have to do it solo.

zlatko

Banned
TRios Zen said:

Blooddrive like I stated a long while ago when it was unveiled for the first DLC, is going to be DOG SHIT in this game.

Every corner is a SOS user, and grenades, and people propped up with super powerful rifles, etc. It'll be the campiest campfest ever, unless grenades are ONLY inks both rounds, and scorcher becomes perma digger.

Milly79

You just need to get lucky and get a crappy wave of secondary enemies. I beat it the other day and I only ended up getting one wave of Guards and the rest were Shriekers.

TRios Zen

mernst23 said:
They were awful, Maso was either a Rotunda shitshow in the center for boom with spammed grenades for good measure or running until time ran out every other match because there was so much cover to retreat with. Old Bones was just boring, it was way too open and aimless.

Oh I disagree here - the cover in the hallways to boom worked nicely to mask your approach if you didn't have boom or provided areas to worry about if you did - additionally there was a torque bow, or sniper to combat it. Mausoleum was a well balanced map IMO.

Typically for me the battles at Mauso were always on the stairs to the approach to boom. Both teams would collide there and let the gibbing commence. Ah, good times, good times.

I also enjoyed old bones, as I think the power weapon spawns there were great too. Go for boom, you have to contend with grenades and lancer fire; go for sniper and you were typically away from the action with no clear sight at it.

Man I'd take either of these maps over Overpass or Sandbar any day!

shintoki said:
Poorly designed shit once again... Honestly, I really think its clear they don't play the game on the hardest difficulty and leave it up to testers. Infinite respawning meat bags and flying turrets. Turrets which fall down and one shit anything below...well you at least. Followed by a stationary one shot boss who you have a time limit against.

Lets add on so many crappy players for coop,where you have to do it solo.
Keep trying for co-op. I got in with a group of randoms that had super reload and infinite ammo mutators and it was way easier than my solo run on Hardcore. Good luck, you're a better man than me for attempting Insane on your own.

edit: guess I missed your comment where you said you beat it solo. :lol

mernst23

TRios Zen said:
Oh I disagree here - the cover in the hallways to boom worked nicely to mask your approach if you didn't have boom or provided areas to worry about if you did - additionally there was a torque bow, or sniper to combat it. Mausoleum was a well balanced map IMO.

Typically for me the battles at Mauso were always on the stairs to the approach to boom. Both teams would collide there and let the gibbing commence. Ah, good times, good times.

I also enjoyed old bones, as I think the power weapon spawns there were great too. Go for boom, you have to contend with grenades and lancer fire; go for sniper and you were typically away from the action with no clear sight at it.

Man I'd take either of these maps over Overpass or Sandbar any day!

Exactly, there was too much cover; the only part of the map that was enjoyable was sniping down the hallway, but after picking off a few people from the other side of the map people would never go by that door again and instead you had a mass camp in at whichever side sent more to the torque bow behind all the monuments with gnashers.

I actually like Sandbar, but then again that's because I'm a good sniper so when I roll with a buddy one of us is sniping and the other has spotter and sides duty with the boomshot and it works beautifully.

Overpass is a good beast and decent horde map and that's about it, I hate it for versus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom