• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3ro

Haven't played in over a week... starting to get the shakes.

Trying to hold out so I can jump right into the new Horde stuff. :D

Horde run to 50 with the GAF crew once the new content hits?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Genesis Knight said:
Is there any canon explanation for why Myrrah's appearance changes so drastically between Gears 2 and Gears 3? Or why she's so human-ish at all?

It's believed she was actually a girl that was experimented on at that mountain lab you fight the sires at.

I thought all difficulties count if I play Beast on insane, but I was wrong. But I only need hardcore and casual, if anyone is willing to help me unlock savage theron guard let me know.

Goddamn, me and a friend were playing Horde mode on freakin' Casual difficulty without mutators, and the boss rounds still kicked our asses. Starting on level 30, we kept getting Lambent 'Zerkers. We lucked out, killed it, and when level 40 came it was even worse. Every time we died and restarted the round, we got another 'Zerker. I managed to get it one one one at the end, and got raped when I rolled away too late. :(

So my masculinity is pretty much at an all-time low, now, damn. :lol

mernst23

Got Onyx Medal number 10 last night, I think fortification master is going to be my next onyx.

That brings me up to:
0/32 Versus
1/7 Horde
6/7 Beast
3/8 Arcade

bimet

DarkBurialX said:
I thought all difficulties count if I play Beast on insane, but I was wrong. But I only need hardcore and casual, if anyone is willing to help me unlock savage theron guard let me know.

I think (probably wrong) that you must complete Beast on insane without failing a wave to unlock that character. That was the only time mine unlocked... If you haven't unlocked it by tonight, I'm willing to help you (and the one other guy up there).

Kydd BlaZe

I'm fucking drunk right now, but whatever...

For the love of God, why the hell hasn't Epic given the hardcore fans a Classic playlist yet?! I mean...what the fuck is wrong with these guys? Since the godamn beta they've heard all of the complaints regarding the noob tube (read: the god awful shit-tastic Sawed-off Shotgun). They intentionally fuck us over with this stupid ass "Gnasher-only Hardcore playlist" instead of giving us what we really want.

Is it really that fucking hard to implement? I mean, really....

The SOS is a complete peice of shit that has ruined what was once a fantastic multiplayer experience. Let the noobs run around with their SOSs in the current playlists...but for the love of God and all things Holy...please give the long time fans of the series a Classic fucking Playlist (complete with Ranked/Quickmatch components). Just lancer/Hamerburst/Gnasher as starting weapons.

Jesus Christ Epic.....

Kydd BlaZe said:

For the love of God, why hell hasn't Epic given the hardcore fans a Classic playlist yet?! I mean...what the fuck is wrong with these guys? Since the godamn beta they've heard all of the complaints regarding the noob tube (read: the god awful shit-tastic Sawed-off Shotgun). They intentionally fuck us over with this stupid ass "Gnasher-only Hardcore playlist" instead of giving us what we really want.

The SOS is a complete peice of shit that has ruined what was once a fantastic multiplayer experience. Let the noobs run around with their SOSs in the current playlists...but for the love of God and all things Holy...please give the long time fans of the series a Classic fucking Playlist (complete with Ranked/Quickmatch components). Just lancer/Hamerburst/Gnasher as starting weapons.

Jesus Christ Epic.....

Why? Because Epic seems to have problems admiting that they are wrong and that the fans are right. Petitions always take forever to get into the game, sometimes even years.

It took a frigging year to get such a simple and small thing as the ability to see the friendly grenade tags in the tac-com in Gears 2. And that's for something that everyone agrees is good for the game, now imagine something that isn't as simple yet 90% of the people want it.

But then things like the bonus for surviving as the leader in Guardian, suggested by a superfriend of Mr. Graf (now a moderator on the official forums, too) got into the game asap ;D

They love to control everything and they love to pretend they are right even if they aren't. The players of their game are always whining bitches that don't know shit even if we play 100 times more than they do.

bimet said:
I think (probably wrong) that you must complete Beast on insane without failing a wave to unlock that character. That was the only time mine unlocked... If you haven't unlocked it by tonight, I'm willing to help you (and the one other guy up there).

Sure, I played yesterday on insane with someone and we kept failing; however, I didn't unlock him. I need all the help I can get so I can unlock him.

I know TDM isn't classic, but I have more fun with it than any other mode. I'd love the option to just play all of them in classic mode but that's probably reaching

X-Frame

I hope that Epic boosts the points per kill in Execution/Warzone to breathe some life into those game types. Little motivation for people to play Warzone and get 1-2 kills a round, wait for minutes until it ends when they can just play TDM.

X-Frame said:
I hope that Epic boosts the points per kill in Execution/Warzone to breath some life into those game types. Little motivation for people to play Warzone and get 1-2 kills a round, wait for minutes until it ends when they can just play TDM.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense why kills are worth so little in those modes. At least he CoD games got it right in the comparable Search and Destroy.

X-Frame said:
What mode(s) would you want the Classic Playlist to have?
Since we're missing Annex and Assassination (and Guardian, for that matter), I guess logical thing to do to keep in with the classic theme and make everyone happy is to let people in the lobby vote either Warzone or Execution.

Arjen

Seth Balmore said:
Since we're missing Annex and Assassination (and Guardian, for that matter), I guess logical thing to do to keep in with the classic theme and make everyone happy is to let people in the lobby vote either Warzone or Execution.

KotH is basicly Annex, but i know what you mean.
I just mis my old KotH from Gears 2 :(

Ballistik

X-Frame said:
I hope that Epic boosts the points per kill in Execution/Warzone to breathe some life into those game types. Little motivation for people to play Warzone and get 1-2 kills a round, wait for minutes until it ends when they can just play TDM.
What's the issue again? The match points you earn at the end are comparable to respawn modes. I feel I rank up at a similar rate doing execution compared to Koth.

I guess you're saying to make the difference visually present in-game, with the kills giving you more than 175... Which is a valid point.

X-Frame

Ballistik said:
What's the issue again? The match points you earn at the end are comparable to respawn modes. I feel I rank up at a similar rate doing execution compared to Koth.

I guess you're saying to make the difference visually present in-game, with the kills giving you more than 175... Which is a valid point.

That's interesting -- I'll admit I didn't look hard enough at the overall points at round's end vs. just in-game points so you may be right.

Jaguar

I always thought if they did add a classic playlist, they'd add more than one.

Classic TDM
Classic Execution
Classic KotH

I'd be in those playlists all day.

Ramirez

CcrooK said:
Take a week off from Gears. Come back aaaaaand....SOS shitstorm. -sigh- I thought I was over it but I guess not. Can't even have a Gnasher shoot out.

Gamestop is giving $30 trade in for the game, I pounced. I might come back when Epic cares to do something as simple as a classic playlist, but knowing them that will be 2 years from now, so whatever.

h3ro said:
Haven't played in over a week... starting to get the shakes.

Trying to hold out so I can jump right into the new Horde stuff. :D

Horde run to 50 with the GAF crew once the new content hits?

I'd love to, if night float doesn't interfere with whenever you want to do it again.

T_T

DoomGyver

They could always have a VOTE on which classic mode is to be played.

Vote for warzone, execution, or TDM
Vote for map
Select character/load out

This would split the community up less than having 3 or more separate classic playlists.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
thezerofire said:
So did the Locust have a Queen before her?

Presumably not, the Kantus were probably the leaders, or dominant locust such as Raam.

The logical reason the Locust speak "english" is due to the Queen as well.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
ok, so just encountered some absolute bullshit on Trenches.

I'm playing with randoms who aren't very good. Three or four of us get pushed into one of the spawn areas, trying to keep the enemy back with lancers/retros/hammberbursts. It's the south part of the spawn that looks up at the mortar area/around the corner from the digger. Then we hear ENEMY FORCES!

BAM! Two COGs spawn right behind us! While the majority of the team is in the spawn! Why the hell would the game think changing spawns at that moment was a great idea??

So that sucks, right?

Well, what sucks even more is the same situation comes up next round! ENEMY FORCES! Our team gets decimated while the newly spawned COGs benefit from spawn protection.

Bullshit!

-PXG-

X-Frame said:
Spawn protection should go down the moment they fire their weapon.

Yeah...

No...

You know why? Makes too much sense. THAT'S why

Seriously though, I agree.

Kydd BlaZe said:

For the love of God, why the hell hasn't Epic given the hardcore fans a Classic playlist yet?! I mean...what the fuck is wrong with these guys? Since the godamn beta they've heard all of the complaints regarding the noob tube (read: the god awful shit-tastic Sawed-off Shotgun). They intentionally fuck us over with this stupid ass "Gnasher-only Hardcore playlist" instead of giving us what we really want.

Jesus Christ Epic.....

Even in drunken chaos, a man speaks words of wisdom.

zlatko said:
I doubt EPIC even is aware of the community section of GAF, and odds are Cliffy is scratching his head on where the OT went.

Well someone should post a link to this thread on his page. I don't fuck around with the horse shit that is Twitter, so someone else can tweet it to him....

Alienshogun said:
Presumably not, the Kantus were probably the leaders, or dominant locust such as Raam.

The logical reason the Locust speak "english" is due to the Queen as well.

Rosetta Stone.

Montresor

Anyone wanna help me get the Onyx Beast medal? I'm on right now and i need some help beating beast on insane without dying.

Nevermind but hopefully I'll be on later tonight.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I remembr when I talked about a "Classic" mode a while back people told me "Well then go play Gears 1" :|

I'm glad to see that it's being voiced now. If classic mode happened I'd be in it ALL DAY.

-PXG-

Stat Flow said:
I remembr when I talked about a "Classic" mode a while back people told me "Well then go play Gears 1" :|

I'm glad to see that it's being voiced now. If classic mode happened I'd be in it ALL DAY.

Epic better make it some kind of awesome Christmas gift or make it available Jan. 1st or something. There's no (good) reason why they shouldn't do it.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I would also appreciate it if a classic playlist included no weapon cycling, and only Torque/Snipe/Boom as special pickups. Sounds delicious.

As unfortunate as it is, I know playlists just aren't possible. But Execution and Warzone games were so fun because I could search up 2-minute round matches. So when you die, at MOST you'd have to wait 1:45, and in most situations, not that long at all. The other thing is custom 10 round matches were a staple and when matches would go on for 15-20 rounds...it was just so awesome. I wish we could somehow have that in Gears 3.

But forget that, I'd just be happy with a basically Gnasher/Hammer/Lancer only playlist. ._.

X-Frame

RSTEIN said:

I'm playing with randoms who aren't very good. Three or four of us get pushed into one of the spawn areas, trying to keep the enemy back with lancers/retros/hammberbursts. It's the south part of the spawn that looks up at the mortar area/around the corner from the digger. Then we hear ENEMY FORCES!

BAM! Two COGs spawn right behind us! While the majority of the team is in the spawn! Why the hell would the game think changing spawns at that moment was a great idea??

So that sucks, right?

Well, what sucks even more is the same situation comes up next round! ENEMY FORCES! Our team gets decimated while the newly spawned COGs benefit from spawn protection.

Bullshit!

I unfortunately figured this out in the worst way possible. Playing CTL I had the enemy leader captured and was holding him in what I assumed was our spawn and then I hear the same ENEMY FORCES and something like 3 enemies spawn right next to me.

So now I know, never bring the leader into the spawn.

I figured if the game realized I was still in the spawn it wouldn't switch -- but I guess that could get tricky once you and a teammate are in both spawns. They gotta spawn somewhere ..

-PXG- said:
Yeah...

No...

You know why? Makes too much sense. THAT'S why

Seriously though, I agree.

Haha. And why is it 6 seconds for TDM anyway? So many times an enemy will be a quarter into the map and yet they're still protected.

zlatko

Banned
-PXG- said:
Epic better make it some kind of awesome Christmas gift or make it available Jan. 1st or something. There's no (good) reason why they shouldn't do it.

Do they eve need a title update for it? I mean they throw random ass game types in when they want for events, so is it a case where they are literally just sitting on their hands ?

-PXG-

zlatko said:
Do they eve need a title update for it? I mean they throw random ass game types in when they want for events, so is it a case where they are literally just sitting on their hands ?

Nope. LSP can easily handle that shit.

Although I don't work for them, I know it's literally effortless. They're just being stubborn at this point. It's way within their capacity to make a Classic Playlist.

Arjen

RSTEIN said:

So that sucks, right?

Bullshit!

I hate when that happens, and it's even worse in KotH where they have multiple spawns troughout the map. Countles times i've been in a battle with someone, when 3 of his teammates spawn next to him.

Robot Pants

I wish Epic would just embrace the beauty that was Gears 1.
Classic playlist would save this game, and keep it on the top ten most played list for more than a few months, unlike Gears 2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Heavy's Sandvich said:
Guys, I just think we should just revive Gears 1.

Who's going to join me?
Everyone with a network connection in Antarctica. That should help revive the fluidity of the MP experience quite faithfully.

Finally managed to get hold of Gears 3, and that was only because I needed a new 360 :)

Feels so good to get back into the game, it's been ages since I've played.

Been playing the campaign over the past couple of days (Normal or Hardcore, can't remember which) and am really enjoying it, although I was a bit disappointed with the 3D. It seems fine for a bit but after a few mins you get used to it and it ends up seeming like a lower-res 2D. I only really notice the 3D with the reticle and on the menu's (looks like there's dirt on the screen).

Last night I was chatting with my Co-Op buddy and mentioned I have next week off work and he suggested that we finally get round to playing Gears 1 and 2 in co-op on insane. I've already completed Gears 1 on insane (had to do that alone, my co-op buddy hasn't done it yet) and Gears 2 has been in my "play in co-op" list for a while now. I started to wonder if it was worth picking up the all-fronts collection for Gears 2 as I can basically get it for free from GAME using my reward points, grab a couple of codes and give one to my co-op buddy so we can do the extra mission.

Thing is, it's basically a map-pack with a short single player mission thrown in and I don't generally play Gears online, because frankly I'm horrible. I've played a few private games of G1 and G2 with friends from the states, but have only played one ranked game of G1 and was put off of doing so again when my entire team quit out as soon as the first round started and the opposing team ran around glitching all the time (I'd randomly explode - WTF!?!!). The experience soured me on playing ranked games.

I did try the G3 Beta, but only played one round of that too, as once again I was horrible and as such just didn't enjoy it.

I kinda fancy having a go at nabbing the last achievements for G1 & 2, but requires ungodly amounts of ranked online play. Is it worth me trying again?

TL/DR
I wanna get into online, but have previously been soured on the experience. What should I do?

Arjen

Monkeylord said:
Finally managed to get hold of Gears 3, and that was only because I needed a new 360 :)

Feels so good to get back into the game, it's been ages since I've played.

Been playing the campaign over the past couple of days (Normal or Hardcore, can't remember which) and am really enjoying it, although I was a bit disappointed with the 3D. It seems fine for a bit but after a few mins you get used to it and it ends up seeming like a lower-res 2D. I only really notice the 3D with the reticle and on the menu's (looks like there's dirt on the screen).

Last night I was chatting with my Co-Op buddy and mentioned I have next week off work and he suggested that we finally get round to playing Gears 1 and 2 in co-op on insane. I've already completed Gears 1 on insane (had to do that alone, my co-op buddy hasn't done it yet) and Gears 2 has been in my "play in co-op" list for a while now. I started to wonder if it was worth picking up the all-fronts collection for Gears 2 as I can basically get it for free from GAME using my reward points, grab a couple of codes and give one to my co-op buddy so we can do the extra mission.

Thing is, it's basically a map-pack with a short single player mission thrown in and I don't generally play Gears online, because frankly I'm horrible. I've played a few private games of G1 and G2 with friends from the states, but have only played one ranked game of G1 and was put off of doing so again when my entire team quit out as soon as the first round started and the opposing team ran around glitching all the time (I'd randomly explode - WTF!?!!). The experience soured me on playing ranked games.

I did try the G3 Beta, but only played one round of that too, as once again I was horrible and as such just didn't enjoy it.

I kinda fancy having a go at nabbing the last achievements for G1 & 2, but requires ungodly amounts of ranked online play. Is it worth me trying again?

TL/DR
I wanna get into online, but have previously been soured on the experience. What should I do?

Honestly? I think it's pretty near to impossible to get into Gears mulit fresh, you are up against people playing it for 5 years, and it has a pretty steep learning curve.
What you could do, find someone to show you the basics in private matches, practice against bots maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom