• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just jump in, be patient. Try to learn from others with what they do.

I probably played less than hour of multiplayer in 1 & 2 but just jumped into 3.

Doing alright as well.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll have to have a think about how I wanna play this out. With work and everything I don't have a huge amount of free time, so don't really want to waste what little I have.

X-Frame

MattyH said:
is there a event this weekend?
When I checked last night there was a Halloween event and a Boomshot/Sniper event. Both sound awesome.

I think I may finally bust out my Hauppauge HD-PVR and record some games. I'll be sending invites to the GAF 1 tag too. TDM, Warzone/Execution most likely. Should be fun.

GT: Supercharged XF

ShaneB

X-Frame said:
When I checked last night there was a Halloween event and a Boomshot/Sniper event. Both sound awesome.

I think I may finally bust out my Hauppauge HD-PVR and record some games. I'll be sending invites to the GAF 1 tag too. TDM, Warzone/Execution most likely. Should be fun.

GT: Supercharged XF

Sounds good to me, I'll probably hop on sometime this weekend to play I'm sure. Preferring Warzone ;)

Arjen said:
Honestly? I think it's pretty near to impossible to get into Gears mulit fresh, you are up against people playing it for 5 years, and it has a pretty steep learning curve.
What you could do, find someone to show you the basics in private matches, practice against bots maybe.

I went into the Gears 3 beta having played 0 matches of Gears 1 MP and maybe 2 matches of Gears 2 MP. I had played Horde and Campaign a lot. In the beta I got all the unlocks and in the retail game I have a ton of MVP medals and good win/loss and kill/death ratios. Gears 3 is still accessible to new players, and if you've already played a bunch of non-MP Gears you're pretty ready to enter the fray.

Robot Pants said:
I'm down.

Waaaaiiit just a minute....

Just from reading the testimonies of the people here, Gears 1 appears to be the superior multiplayer experience.

My cousin, being the Gears fanatic that he is, corroborates those sentiments.

This game is actually digitial crack. I'm pretty sure I said I was going to quit, so I'm not exactly sure what's going on, because it's 2.30 in the morning and I've been playing for the last 2 hours.

I even tried to curb my urges by playing Battlefield 3 all night, but at about 12 am, I had an itch - an itch that I knew only Gears of War 3 could scratch.

"Fuck it", I thought. "Even though this game has done nothing but inch me closer to a coronary this past fortnight, I need to play it".

And what do you know? It was fun - more fun than the numerous games of Rush and Conquest I traipsed through; more fun than braving in vain the eternal struggle that is lag and uncertain hit detection - it was great. I was great. Even my random teammates were great.

So, just like that, the pendulum of our love/hate relationship swings wildly and hangs motionless once again, besotted with the delicate arts of wall-bouncing and Longshot headshots and Gnasher hip-firing and Retroin' some dunce toting an SOS and a poorly-judged roadie run to match...

And we embrace.

This is nice.

ShaneB

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Just from reading the testimonies of the people here, Gears 1 appears to be the superior multiplayer experience.

My cousin, being the Gears fanatic that he is, corroborates those sentiments.

Gears 1 had its issues that have been fixed, but it's been an issue that most sequels face. It added a whole bunch of crap just for the sake of adding more crap. Cliffy even said the pendulum went way too far in the other direction for Gears 2, so that much is obvious. Gears 3 brings is extremly close to that magic of Gears 1, but again, things added that didn't need to be added. (also, it's a very different gaming/multiplayer landscape then when it was when Gears 1 launched.)

During they heyday of my Gears 1 playing, all I ever wanted from Gears 2 was stopping power with the rifles, and active reload power bonuses gone (ie, downing with the sniper, questions in shotgun battles with active reloads, etc etc)

Gears 1 was/is awesome, but I know we all want the various fixes but still keeping the classic gameplay.

Robot Pants

ShaneB said:
Gears 1 had its issues that have been fixed, but it's been an issue that most sequels face. It added a whole bunch of crap just for the sake of adding more crap. Cliffy even said the pendulum went way too far in the other direction for Gears 2, so that much is obvious. Gears 3 brings is extremly close to that magic of Gears 1, but again, things added that didn't need to be added. (also, it's a very different gaming/multiplayer landscape then when it was when Gears 1 launched.)

During they heyday of my Gears 1 playing, all I ever wanted from Gears 2 was stopping power with the rifles, and active reload power bonuses gone (ie, downing with the sniper, questions in shotgun battles with active reloads, etc etc)

Gears 1 was/is awesome, but I know we all want the various fixes but still keeping the classic gameplay.

I agree with almost all of this. Not the stopping power though. I think stopping power was one of the worst decisions they ever made. Even during Gears 1, when the connections were arguably "bad", you could still deal with shotgun rushers. You Lancered them down as best you could, and maybe you'd down them. But if they ever started to get within that "my Lancer is not gonna be an option if I wanna survive" range, you dodged left, right, or backward and switched to your shotgun and tried to finish them off.

Stopping power wasn't needed to remedy that situation, though. All they needed to do was fix the lag problem. But I guess they couldn't do that with Gears 2 (obviously) so they introduced stopping power.
But now, we have dedicated servers, better connections than ever, AND stopping power.
No lag and stopping power combined are just way too much. Not to mention the stopping power is TOO powerful. It really brings the game to a standstill, and it's boring.

Nimbleness on the battlefield made good players stand out from the rest in Gears 1, and really made the game fun. It was part of dat learning curve.

I don't want to get into my dislike for the heavy weapons, so I'll just say this.
How much more fun would Checkout be if there was a Torque Bow instead of a Mulcher?

tl;dr
X-Frame said:
Lol @ the Mulcher on Mercy. Hahahaha. Epic doesn't have a clue.

Lothars

ShaneB said:

Gears 1 was awesome than but now I can't go back to it especially with Gears 3. Last time I played it, I just don't think it holds up as well.

So for everyone that wants a classic playlist? how many people do you think would actually play it? Do you think it would be the most played playlist?

ShaneB

Robot Pants said:
I agree with almost all of this. Not the stopping power though. I think stopping power was one of the worst decisions they ever made. Even during Gears 1, when the connections were arguably "bad", you could still deal with shotgun rushers. You Lancered them down as best you could, and maybe you'd down them. But if they ever started to get within that "my Lancer is not gonna be an option if I wanna survive" range, you dodged left, right, or backward and switched to your shotgun and tried to finish them off.

Stopping power wasn't needed to remedy that situation, though. All they needed to do was fix the lag problem. But I guess they couldn't do that with Gears 2 (obviously) so they introduced stopping power.
But now, we have dedicated servers, better connections than ever, AND stopping power.
No lag and stopping power combined are just way too much. Not to mention the stopping power is TOO powerful. It really brings the game to a standstill, and it's boring.

Nimbleness on the battlefield made good players stand out from the rest in Gears 1, and really made the game fun. It was part of dat learning curve.

I don't want to get into my dislike for the heavy weapons, so I'll just say this.
How much more fun would Checkout be if there was a Torque Bow instead of a Mulcher?

tl;dr

Fair enough about Stopping power. Agree to disagree? I think it's needed, given the tactics of roadie running into cover and actually using various cover options to avoid getting rifled down. It adds to the rifles as being viable options for shotgun rushers, that was the intention of adding so much crap in Gears 2. Nimble yes, but that can include using terrain and cover to avoid getting gunned down while closing distance ;)

And yes... all of the power weapons are awful and I wish they were gone as well. So let's agree on that.

Lothars said:
Gears 1 was awesome than but now I can't go back to it especially with Gears 3. Last time I played it, I just don't think it holds up as well.

So for everyone that wants a classic playlist? how many people do you think would actually play it? Do you think it would be the most played playlist?

I think it's clear we don't exactly want to go back to Gears 1, we just want that feeling we got when we did play Gears 1, in Gears 3.

I doubt at this point much would change, I still think Team Deathmatch would have the most players by a long shot, but a classic playlist will have a very dedicated player base.

X-Frame

Lothars said:
I think it would have a decent amount of consistent players when compared to the other modes like CTL and regular Wz/Ex.

Granted us GAF'ers and those on the Epic forums are a small sample, I would assume that those people who were around during Gears 1 would naturally gravitate towards a Classic playlist - so our sample probably represents most vets.

I could be wrong, but those people who use the Retro and SOS by choice most of the time are not Gears 1 vets. Nothing against that, just an assumption.

I would LIVE in a Classic playlist with no Retro, SOS, Mulcher/Mortar, Digger, etc. I don't have a problem with fire nades, Gorgon pistol and the like but if we want to keep it classic I'd assume those would be out too.

TRios Zen

RSTEIN said:
Cliff has totally said FU to this thread. Can't blame him lol.

There's a fine line between constructive criticism and just bitching and I think this thread has gone back and forth over that line.

Maybe he still reading though - the passion that this game brings out in it's fan is undeniable. it's the focus of that passion that sometimes loses it way.

Oh well...Played only horde last night (mutators make the later levels so easy, but oh so fun anyway), but looking forward to jumping back on the MP horse tonight.

Also, bought my season pass yesterday, so rocking the liquid on my rifles and green on my shotties. Ready for Tuesday!

TRios Zen said:
There's a fine line between constructive criticism and just bitching and I think this thread has gone back and forth over that line.

Maybe he still reading though - the passion that this game brings out in it's fan is undeniable. it's the focus of that passion that sometimes loses it way.

Oh well...Played only horde last night (mutators make the later levels so easy, but oh so fun anyway), but looking forward to jumping back on the MP horse tonight.

Also, bought my season pass yesterday, so rocking the liquid on my rifles and green on my shotties. Ready for Tuesday!
I'm sure he still reads this thread, but there isn't much point for him to post here. There are only two things that are being "discussed" here. 1: Classic playlist, and 2: waaaah SOS sucks waaaah.

Nori Chan

Boomshot and longshot in one playlist? Yeah fuck tat. It's already annoying having one perso. Have Boomshot but everyone having it?

And longshot too? One and done for me in tha playlist.

You all sound like whiny bitches if you ask me. I like Gears 3 the way it is, and am opposed to a classic playlist because I fear it would severely dwindle those that play Versus as it is now. Besides, if you really think bringing a classic mode is really going to bring back a whole bunch of players, you are delusional.

zlatko

Banned
thewesker said:
You all sound like whiny bitches if you ask me. I like Gears 3 the way it is, and am opposed to a classic playlist because I fear it would severely dwindle those that play Versus as it is now. Besides, if you really think bringing a classic mode is really going to bring back a whole bunch of players, you are delusional.

f9nPZ.gif

I really love the game the way it is, too. All I really want are more maps, since its getting kinda stale, especially with just two main gametypes(KOTH and some variant of deathmatch)

ShaneB

thewesker said:

I’m sorry, but complaints like this are ridiculous. You’re complaining about us wanting a playlist, but you’re worried it’ll take people away from the playlists you enjoy? Isn’t the bigger issue why the heck isn’t there more people playing to support whatever playlists are there?

If people are leaving the playlists you’re playing for another playlist, wouldn’t that imply they don’t really enjoy your playlist?? ;)

Arjen

Bought Battlefield 3 today, and i had a blast.
I love Gears to death, but the frustration of the SoS and the awfull spawns in KotH killed al the fun for me. Such a shame because the rest is so damn good.

Lunchbox

Banned
thewesker said:
i bet youre a sawed off artisan

I'm still annoyed that this thread was moved to Community.

It was basically an emasculation from which the thread never really has recovered.

ShaneB

CliffyB, at least fix the map rotation :( I can't imagine it being that difficult? Whatever wonky randomization going on now can't be more difficult to implement than saying 'play all maps in alphabetical order'

Lunchbox said:
i bet youre a sawed off artisan

Ph.D in Sawed-Off.

"Dr. Sawed Off will see you now, Mr. Smith"

"Great! Where is h-oh, what the!?"

*Guy in doctor outfit roadie runs towards patient, stops 2 feet in front, pulls trigger, rolls away to reload for 5 seconds*

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
ShaneB said:
CliffyB, at least fix the map rotation :( I can't imagine it being that difficult? Whatever wonky randomization going on now can't be more difficult to implement than saying 'play all maps in alphabetical order'
already coming in the next TU!

AndyMoogle said:
I'm sure he still reads this thread, but there isn't much point for him to post here. There are only two things that are being "discussed" here. 1: Classic playlist, and 2: waaaah SOS sucks waaaah.

To be fair, the it's usually the flaws of a game that drive threads like these the most. So the fact that these are the only 2 topics being brought up speak volumes about the quality of gears 3.

If the sawed off was fixed and we got the classic playlist, this thread would slow down even more.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
thewesker said:
This is one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while.

CliffyB

Playah
ShaneB said:

Patch forthcoming. Annoys me too, tbh.

CliffyB

Playah
Adam Blade said:
I'm still annoyed that this thread was moved to Community.

It was basically an emasculation from which the thread never really has recovered.

Bugged me too, honestly. Other games have stayed on the main page for years...hell, Neir Gestalt pops up there every day. :)

Ballistik

CliffyB said:
Bugged me too, honestly. Other games have stayed on the main page for years...hell, Neir Gestalt pops up there every day. :)
Actually, this thread was just unlucky because it was one of the first ones to follow the new policy being implemented. Quote from this thread from EviLore:

Game |OT|s will now be moved to the Community forum one month after their game's release. Assuming a minimum activity level, notice will be given in the thread title with a "[Moving To Community Friday]" edit so that people know where the thread's headed. Threads that die out quickly or are rarely bumped after the one month mark may or may not be moved to Community at the administration's discretion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom