• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

enzo_gt said:
nerf the orange exclamation mark plz

Seriously! So many times I go in to find out what new ribbon I unlocked or received only to have there be nothing there.

My OCD kills me when I can't clear the exclamation mark hahaha.

CliffyB said:
Bugged me too, honestly. Other games have stayed on the main page for years...hell, Neir Gestalt pops up there every day. :)

It doesn't matter to me because I'm subscribed (like all people do by default when they post correct?). So whether it moves around GAF it's still in the same spot on my Subscriptions page.

Do most people not subscribe or something?

That awkward moment where you and a teammate both go for the same power weapon and you accidentally pick up his SOS after being a fraction too slow on that X button.

Let me preface this by saying that I've used the SOS maybe 3 times in my whole time playing this game, so this is coming from someone who is beyond unfamiliar with its range, its reload time, etc. Anyway, long story short, It had 2 rounds in it and I got 2 of the easiest, most mindless kills ever. It was just that easy. And from where I stood when making the shot, the range seemed excessive. I scoffed heartily.

That being said, I run into that many tards who obviously have no idea how to use the gun, so I've never really jumped onto the SOS Hate Bandwagon.

mickcenary said:
That awkward moment where you and a teammate both go for the same power weapon and you accidentally pick up his SOS after being a fraction too slow on that X button.

Let me preface this by saying that I've used the SOS maybe 3 times in my whole time playing this game, so this is coming from someone who is beyond unfamiliar with its range, its reload time, etc. Anyway, long story short, It had 2 rounds in it and I got 2 of the easiest, most mindless kills ever. It was just that easy. And from where I stood when making the shot, the range seemed excessive. I scoffed heartily.

That being said, I run into that many tards who obviously have no idea how to use the gun, so I've never really jumped onto the SOS Hate Bandwagon.

all you have to do is literally get within 5 feet of someone and blindfire to get a kill. I remember picking up the sawed off for the first time and wallbouncing up the stairs on gridlock towards the sniper and just letting off a twitch blindfire shot 5 feet towards the right of someone and gibbing the hell out of em. you cannot make a more user friendly gun than the SOS

2San

Had some good matches today, flawless connection all day(played 4 hours). Haven't played for a few days because of exams. It's unreal how good this game is on a proper connection. The SOS is so much less annoying with minimum lag since you are able to properly dance outside the instagib range(still annoying is that SOS is killing off all my streaks ;_; ). Good to see that Execution is bumped to 5 rounds.
CliffyB said:
Bugged me too, honestly. Other games have stayed on the main page for years...hell, Neir Gestalt pops up there every day. :)
You do understand that the Gears 3 thread is active and popular and that's why it got moved to community?

J-Roderton

Great. My roomie sold the Xbox wireless adapter that I was using and I have no means of getting in on this boomshot/longshot business.

bimet said:
I think (probably wrong) that you must complete Beast on insane without failing a wave to unlock that character. That was the only time mine unlocked... If you haven't unlocked it by tonight, I'm willing to help you (and the one other guy up there).

I don't have him, can you help me?

-PXG-

Jroderton said:
Great. My roomie sold the Xbox wireless adapter that I was using and I have no means of getting in on this boomshot/longshot business.

Crack money man. Gotta get that fix.

That, or a cheap hooker...which he probably took to McDonalds later that night.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Couple days ago me and my team obliterated a Sawed-Off-only team in KOTH, giving me my most points in a single match: 17,000+ points with 27 captures, 62 kills and 22 deaths.

With my trusty Gnasher.

Match before that I had my second Quinn on five actual players too.

Always makes me smile whenever I see a Sawed-Off user and know right away that he isn't a threat and his ass is mine.

Today went real good in Quick Match as well too, just like yesterday, undefeated and destroying people with Sawed-Offs.

But what's hilarious is that exactly the three (yes, three times) I switched to the Sawed-Off solely to get kills for the medal, I get messages complaining about the Sawed-Off - I NEVER get messages, good or bad, even when they get completely wiped out, but the instant I use it? Bam, XBL message. So funny.

Also I finally ran into one of those kids that did whatever glitch there is to get the Epic devs weapon skins - he quit before the first round was even over after getting killed nonstop - his GT was lI d3c3Ption Il.

2San said:
You do understand that the Gears 3 thread is active and popular and that's why it got moved to community?
It got moved to community because that's how it's going to be on GAF from here on out. Pretty much all |OT|s will be moved to community a month after the game's release.

The popularity of the thread would have pushed it into community sooner or later either way though.

2San

AndyMoogle said:
It got moved to community because that's how it's going to be on GAF from here on out. Pretty much all |OT|s will be moved to community a month after the game's release.
Except for the OT's that die out pretty fast(though may be moved at a Mod's discretion). I know.

ShaneB

Great news! The BF3 hype is getting to me, but my heart will always be with Gears, so to read of that response in the classic playlist thread makes me quite happy.

Title Update 2 is just around the corner, guys. Nov. 1st, how the fuck am I'm gonna get things done with Gears 3 update/DLC, Uncharted 3, Sonic Generations, AND Team Fortress 2 update?

FIX THIS SHIT, GUERILLA

So... An old-school playlist... Does that mean I won't be able to pwn with my Retro and Digger? Sure, it'd remove the SOS, but it'd also remove some other rad stuff, wouldn't it?

Scorcher only, Active-only, Tyro Station-Stasis rotation

mickcenary said:
So... An old-school playlist... Does that mean I won't be able to pwn with my Retro and Digger? Sure, it'd remove the SOS, but it'd also remove some other rad stuff, wouldn't it?

You got to give a little to get what you want, I assume.

I'm gonna miss the Digger though. Fantastic addition to the Gears sandbox

Fallacy

Neo Member
mickcenary said:
While most people don't have a problem with the digger, a lot of them have one with the retro. I actually love digger mostly because it is a lot easier to get a hold of than boomshot and feels a little more skillful. I have a problem with the idea the of the retro, I don't really think it's overpowered I just don't like it.
The thing about adding a classic playlist is that you can always just go play a different playlist if you miss a weapon. Personally, I think it's good to have options.

GloveSlap

As a general rule, there should be nothing in a multiplayer game where the computer is doing most of the work for the player. You don't have to aim the SOS, which makes it flawed as a concept regardless of how they balance it.

I have to throw Armor Lock from Reach with that as well. I think the SOS and Armor Lock have a lot in common from a development and motive point of view. Both are flawed mechanics used to coddle players that demand almost nothing from the player themselves. Hell throw in the gimping of precision weapons and buffing of spray-and-pray weapons in Reach as well.

This kind of dumbing down in multiplayer games is becoming more and more common. I don't know if its because of Call of Duty, Wii, or what. At in Reach's case, it seemed to have the opposite effect. It went from a series that was always 1st or 2nd most played to I think 4th or 5th last time I saw the list. The same could easily happen to Gears 3.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Stat Flow said:
I'll be okay with giving up the digger, as awesome as it is. Anything to get rid of the SOS.

Its funny. The sos users kept advocating for everyone else to 'adapt' to it, and that's fine. The second something comes out that excludes them and THEY have to adapt its bloody murder. Hello shoe..how do you like the other foot?

abracadaver

Dont get too excited. Maybe he is just talking about another hardcore weekend with gnashers only ...

The SOS will never be removed and a permanent classic playlist is very unlikely as they would have to admit their balancing is broken.
Why dont they just nerf the SOS even more? Lower the range a bit more and make it so that you actually have to aim a bit.

Also why dont they just tell us what they have planned ? Why make it secret ? The chances are high that they have another stupid idea that nobody likes and the complaining will continue.

Right now Im most excited for the singleplayer DLC. Ive bought the season pass but the horde dlc feels like a ripoff with all the content already on the disc. The multiplayer maps only being available in private. And the new horde achievements are stupid as well (host a game 50 points).

Gears 2 became more awesome over time. Wonder what gears 3 will be like in a year or two.

VASPER

Banned
So i just finished the act 4 of Gears 3, now all i want to ask is what do you think of Epic making a more thriller/horror game?

zlatko

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:
Oh shit

you know what this means!?

Gears 1 Playlist coming! With all the lag, no stopping power, Active down sniper godlike chainsaw, kung-fu glitches, and all the other bullshit people convently forget about when they think about the "good ol' days" of Gears of War 1! "You want Classic? HERE YA GO, GUYS!"

CliffyB, I salute you, good sir.

icame.jpg

This would excite and pleasure me in many ways.

Robot Pants

Even with all the things he listed, gears 1 was still the best game of the three.
what's with the talk of losing the digger? The Classic Playlist that was proposed, and I assume is in most people's minds, only involves restricting the loadout. More than likely losing the Retro and SOS, and keeping the gnasher, hammerburst, and lancer.

bs000

bvh4v.png

Everything is terrible.

zlatko

Banned
Seth Balmore said:
I'm going to stay cautious about what Quinn said but I'm genuinely thankful that he took the time to sit down and reply to the thread.

I'll be quite honest that there is an internal ticking clock of sorts with me and how long I'll keep the game based on what their next move is. If it isn't a classic playlist in the pipe line, then I don't see the real point of holding onto the game as my yearning to play it has steadily decreased since release and will continue to do so as more and more MP games release.

This coming month I have 3 MP games I'm eager to chomp at while I'm tackling BF3 as well.(UMvC3, KoF13, and even MW3) Gears was what I was expecting to be my go to MP game for console shooting needs, and therefore the purchase or need for MW3 was going to be nonexistent. However, as I said since release, my desire to play has been dwindling and depending on what GAF and my friends say about MW3, I may end up just trading Gears 3 in to jump ship on that for my 360 MP shooter.

That's just where I'm sitting at personally. I kept Gears 1 in my disc trey since I got it and all the way up to Gears 2. I was hoping that Gears 3 could fill that void. :(

X-Frame

Robot Pants said:
Even with all the things he listed, gears 1 was still the best game of the three.
what's with the talk of losing the digger? The Classic Playlist that was proposed, and I assume is in most people's minds, only involves restricting the loadout. More than likely losing the Retro and SOS, and keeping the gnasher, hammerburst, and lancer.
No mulcher, mortar, digger, flame nades, one shot, etc. if it wasn't in Gears 1, I'd assume it shouldn't be in a classic playlist.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
YEAH BRO. GRENADES, SNIPERS, TORQUES, BOLTOKS, AND BOOMS.

Those are the only pickups viable. Anything else is blasphemy. God I can't wait to see if a classic playlist gets announced.

Kydd BlaZe

X-Frame said:
No mulcher, mortar, digger, flame nades, one shot, etc. if it wasn't in Gears 1, I'd assuime it shouldn't be in a classic playlist.
I actually wouldn't mind if Epic kept the new power weapons in the playlist. Hell, I honestly wouldn't mind if they kept the retro lancer. It's just that rage inducing noob cannon that needs to find its way out the door. For shits and giggles, Epic could even name the playlist "No Sawed Offs Allowed" or some shit. I almost garauntee that the playlist would be a hit.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Kydd BlaZe said:
I actually wouldn't mind if Epic kept the new power weapons in the playlist. Hell, I honestly wouldn't mind if they kept the retro lancer. It's just that rage inducing noob cannon that needs to find its way out the door. For shits and giggles, Epic could even name the playlist "No Sawed Offs Allowed" or some shit. I almost garauntee that the playlist would be a hit.
I feel the same way honestly. I mean, for the sake of not embarrasing their own decision to include the SOS in the game, if they make a classic playlist they'll throw out the retro lancer too. But as far as I'm concerned the retro can stay, I think it's an alright weapon, I even use it from time to time.

But that SOS...jesus. The range on it is ridiculous. I was having a shotgun duel and the most annoying thing happened, this second dude is just jogging up and I can see him coming and all he's doing is just jogging while I'm trying to dodge this dude. Needless to say I had to jump back and get behind cover - stopping the gnasher battle I was having. Then he just tried to get off a cheap shot and runs away.
LLShC.gif

Beneficial change is swell and all, but if the game were to remain unchanged at the back-end from now until death, I really wouldn't mind one bit. It's amusing how this game has set such a high standard from the absolute get-go, yet - as is the nature of the consumer - we always want more. I'm grateful that we have such a unique and amazing game paired with one of the most robust online experiences I've come across.

Kydd BlaZe

Stat Flow said:
I feel the same way honestly. I mean, for the sake of not embarrasing their own decision to include the SOS in the game, if they make a classic playlist they'll throw out the retro lancer too. But as far as I'm concerned the retro can stay, I think it's an alright weapon, I even use it from time to time.

But that SOS...jesus. The range on it is ridiculous. I was having a shotgun duel and the most annoying thing happened, this second dude is just jogging up and I can see him coming and all he's doing is just jogging while I'm trying to dodge this dude. Needless to say I had to jump back and get behind cover - stopping the gnasher battle I was having. Then he just tried to get off a cheap shot and runs away.
LLShC.gif
Lol, as far as I'm concerned the SOS is nothing more than a troll weapon. I almost get sick to my stomach when I think about how beautiful this game would be if the sawed off never existed. I swear, sometimes I think that Epic just tossed that shit in there to piss people off.

Montresor

Stat Flow said:

LLShC.gif

Would you have felt the same way if someone casually strolled in with a gnasher? This is a 5-versus-5 game. You can't expect people to just leave you alone when you're trying to engage in a "gnasher battle."

Halloween event is live for the weekend. Reminder: Starting weapons are Boomshot and Longshot, pickups are a mix of both.

This event counts for the War Supporter medal for those interested. There'll be pumpkin heads on Monday.

Also,

quinndelhoyo Quinn DelHoyo
Switch your weapon skins to Flaming for a Halloween surprise. #Gears3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom