• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

I am sure there are tons on disc (characters) for future DLC. Kim wouldn't be too hard to bring into the game and I am sure they will include Skorge and Raam sometime in the future.

-PXG-

Raxus said:
I am sure there are tons on disc (characters) for future DLC. Kim wouldn't be too hard to bring into the game and I am sure they will include Skorge and Raam sometime in the future.

Well Big Rig Dizzy is on the list. There is nothing in the game that tells you how to unlock him. Either he's a secret unlock or another piece of on disc DLC :/

The_Monk

I wonder if the SP has the same length than the previous games, how has it been for you, GAF?

I ask because I'm going to run out of live this week, so it means it would be SP-only for a few time.

Xamdou

Plasmid said:
Season pass is campaign / horde / beast / MP only right? No character / weapons skins besides the liquid metal set?

Season pass also includes two DLC characters that will be included in the first DLC pack coming out in November.

J-P

Neo Member
Hype level seems relatively low here, i'm surprised. IIRC, the Halo reach OT was flying by this point. Not that it matters at all, just an observation. I know i'm hyped.

-PXG-

The SOS' ability to down you with full health has been removed. So now, it either kills you, misses, or does a tiny bit of damage. It will only down you if you've already taken a significant amount of damage

exYle

-PXG- said:
The SOS' ability to down you with full health has been removed. So now, it either kills you, misses, or does a tiny bit of damage. It will only down you if you've already taken a significant amount of damage

I thought the damage done was near-death? So, if you're hurt at all, the SOS could easily down?

-PXG-

exYle said:
I thought the damage done was near-death? So, if you're hurt at all, the SOS could easily down?

It did near death damage in the beta, but it was very rare. Most of the time, you just died or went down.

From what I understand, it's downing ability is gone, unless you're already really hurt.

Ballistik

-PXG- said:
I thought this was true also because I recall it was mentioned in one of the Rod streams, but a guy in the review thread replied saying it's false. We'll just wait and see.

-PXG-

Ballistik said:
I thought this was true also because I recall it was mentioned in one of the Rod streams, but a guy in the review replied saying it's false. We'll just wait and see.

Quinn Delhoyo also touched on at MLG Raleigh too.

SOS is potentially going to really ruin the game for me. Running around with a Gnasher is my favourite part of the MP.

You cant have a good skilled battle against a SOS player, they either kill you in 1 shot or they run away after they missed. Thats it.

went to preorder the game(damn unlimited was gone :( ).

38photo.jpg

ended up picking up a $50 point card, paying off the game and getting the triple pack so i can practice. i have the All Fronts pack.....anyone seriously need the code or got something to trade for it? i cant imagine anyone who has gears 2 and none of the map packs.....

Ballistik

Drealmcc0y said:
SOS is potentially going to really ruin the game for me. Running around with a Gnasher is my favourite part of the MP.

You cant have a good skilled battle against a SOS player, they either kill you in 1 shot or they run away after they missed. Thats it.
Well it does it's job at least, which is to make players more cautious about rushing with their gnasher. If you see an SOS guy rushing at you, you CAN down him with your shotgun from a distance before he gets into the SOS insta-death proximity zone. I do agree that it kind of ruins the frantic rushing and one on one gnasher battles, but it's really for the best.

-PXG-

Drealmcc0y said:

Pretty much, aside from the ruining MP bit. Skilled players will always win and find away around it. It's not as bad as you make it out to be. But yes, it can be an obnoxious weapon at times.

Although people will try to win by any means necessary, many high level players have enough self respect not to use such a bitchmade weapon in conjunction with pussy ass tactics. I don't think I ever saw anyone try to two piece with it. I'd probably do that for shits and giggles.

The only thing that really annoyed me was the spread. It's absolutely massive. No aiming required, whatsoever. If you hard aim with it, you're doing something VERY wrong.

The SOS combined with the mantle kick has made me more aware of my surroundings. I tread with caution, but without hesitation.

I haven't been following the media for this game. Are there are any good official MP videos that are worth watching? I feel like getting hyped for this game.

Ballistik said:
Well it does it's job at least, which is to make players more cautious about rushing with their gnasher. If you see an SOS guy rushing at you, you CAN down him with your shotgun from a distance before he gets into the SOS insta-death proximity zone. I do agree that it kind of ruins the frantic rushing and one on one gnasher battles, but it's really for the best.

But isn't that what makes Gears special?

I mean I love hammerbursting and using the sniper and the other special guns but shotguns battles is what I loved doing the most.

Now that we have dedicated servers and no host advantage, it should be a 50-50 chance between the two players. Battle of skills, no excuses.

I can see myself complaining about the SOS as much as did about host advantage.

Ballistik

Drealmcc0y said:
But isn't that what makes Gears special?

I mean I love hammerbursting and using the sniper and the other special guns but shotguns battles is what I loved doing the most.

Now that we have dedicated servers and no host advantage, it should be a 50-50 chance between the two players. Battle of skills, no excuses.

I can see myself complaining about the SOS as much as did about host advantage.

Yeah, it is what makes Gears special, and that's what it's always been about, the shotgun. but I feel like EPIC's been on an ongoing battle with their own game since the beginning trying to swerve away from the shotgun love. They know that they're missing out on a big crowd of people that don't like the chaotic shotgun mess. Too many get destroyed by it the first game they try in multiplayer. I'm pretty sure the whole point of the SOS is to lure those people back in.

Take Gears 2 for example, they tried to balance the Gnasher by making THE Gnasher weaker. (Slower fire rate, the stopping power, etc.). Truth was that the whole hardcore Gnasher crowd didn't like those changes. Who knew, right?

That's why for Gears 3, their hope is to accommodate to both play styles. They kept the Gnasher just as strong and awesome as it ever was, and instead of nerfing it, they whip out the retro lancer and SOS to counter it. They basically brought counters into the mix, and throw in dedicated servers and symmetrical maps and you got one great game.

Ballistik said:
Yeah, it is what makes Gears special, and that's what it's always been about, the shotgun. but I feel like EPIC's been on an ongoing battle with their own game since the beginning trying to swerve away from the shotgun love. They know that they're missing out on a big crowd of people that don't like the chaotic shotgun mess. Too many get destroyed by it the first game they try in multiplayer. I'm pretty sure the whole point of the SOS is to lure those people back in.

Take Gears 2 for example, they tried to balance the Gnasher by making THE Gnasher weaker. (Slower fire rate, the stopping power, etc.). Truth was that the whole hardcore Gnasher crowd didn't like those changes. Who knew, right?

That's why for Gears 3, their hope is to accommodate to both play styles. They kept the Gnasher just as strong and awesome as it ever was, and instead of nerfing it, they whip out the retro lancer and SOS to counter it. They basically brought counters into the mix, and throw in dedicated servers and symmetrical maps and you got one great game.

I have no problem with making the game more than just a shotgun fest. I love the fact that Gears 2 made the hammerburst useful.

I just dont think the SOS should exist. At all. Ever.

Its only there to anger Gnasher fans. What else good does it do? Its good for noobs to learn the shotgun curve and thats about it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Drealmcc0y said:
I have no problem with making the game more than just a shotgun fest. I love the fact that Gears 2 made the hammerburst useful.

Its only there to anger Gnasher fans. What else good does it do? Its good for noobs to learn the shotgun curve and thats about it.

go play Gears 2 if you just want to twirl around with your gnasher

Ballistik

Drealmcc0y said:

Ehh, don't worry.. I don't like it either, but it makes sense that it's in the game. I'm just trying to explain why it even exists. :/

Hopefully those that use the SOS "graduate" and switch to the Gnasher once they find out how much better it can be.

_dementia said:
I played LAN Horde Mode in Gears 2 for years with my firends. No XBL subscription necessary for that.
Only bad part is no nearby rental service. That said since I moved I figure I can still do a new Gamefly Trial....of course that means I'll get the game in December lol

Oh can anyone comment if the war logs/docs are coming back?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Drealmcc0y said:
Seriously, what does SOS add to this game except for noobs to learn the curve?

Is there an answer?

It's a defensive weapon

It stops a team of twats just charging people with gnashers like they did in 2

MrCompletely said:
any availability news in NYC?
Ah, I missed this since I've moved, the hunt for the pre-release in NJ/NY, such fond memories.

I always recommend checking GameFaqs, yeah it's like Mos Eisley, but you can find a lot before a thread gets modded, ironically for "piracy" and I've tried appealing closings several times...but that isn't here or now.

Where can you physically get to? I can give you some of my old haunts that might be of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom