• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
AndyMoogle said:
Gears 3 is definitely a big step up from Gears 1 and 2.

Yup. The beta was already polished, IMO. Now that Epic has had, what?, 5mos to polish even further, I'm really excited for the MP.

FrankT

Servers are not going up until a week after release?

Can't say I care too much about GT reviews, but Gamespot and Edge on the other hand. Stellar all around which is what I figured. Cannot wait for some horde.

LEGGZZZZ

GOD DAMN Trenches is so GOOD NOW! Went from being my most hated game in the beta to one of my favorites now on release. It plays so god damn well.

equil

LEGGZZZZ said:
GOD DAMN Trenches is so GOOD NOW! Went from being my most hated game in the beta to one of my favorites now on release. It plays so god damn well.

What did they change from the beta?

bumpkin

equil said:
What did they change from the beta?
Well, LEGGZZZZ can probably provide a much better explanation since he has the game already, but I recall reading that they added some underground tunnels below that big hill with the one-shot spawn at the top.

-PXG- said:
Look at Gears 2. 1-50 was pretty easy. 51-around 75 took a little bit longer. 76 onward (even though the "official" drop off is 81) is ridiculous. It will probably be similar in Gears 3.

You also have to factor in that some players are really good, have a lot of time, and playing against bots or really shitty players.

Hopefully Epic will reset all of the stats.
in gears 2, the halfway way point in exp was 81.

Plasmid

Seth Balmore said:
Somewhat spoilerish if you're really interested in easter eggs, this one is related to a multiplayer map, no story spoilers or anything. Remember that "secret weapon" in Checkout that Cliffy talked about and was found in the beta?

It was a smoke grenade in the beta, now it's a
fire extinguisher you can spray around.

Anyone else with the game tried to use it yet? I try to use it on enemies but
it does nothing to 'em! Well, I imagine it'll make some people go WTF but that's about it, haha.

I seem to recall someone from the dev team commented that
activating the switches to sound the fire alarm and gain access to the box where it's hidden
was the first step in a chain of things you need to do to get the whole easter egg going. But
there aren't any fires in Checkout to put out
. I'm stumped. >:|

EDIT: A-ha! I found something else...
there IS a fire in Checkout
. :)
This really interests me. I remember the gears 2 campaign eggs, hoping there are More in 3.

Addnan

Anyone using this?
cyclops-cl3rf9u.png

LEGGZZZZ

bumpkin said:
Well, LEGGZZZZ can probably provide a much better explanation since he has the game already, but I recall reading that they added some underground tunnels below that big hill with the one-shot spawn at the top.

Correct, and it makes the map movement/flanking opportunities/escapes from death so much better, I think it's going to become a favorite among the gears regulars. Actually all the maps are pretty awesome this time around.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Is anyone else planning to rent it only for the story? That's kind of the only thing I have an interest in.
It will be interesting to see what direction they take it, but I'm more interested in all the new modes.

Ballistik

Is anyone else planning to rent it only for the story? That's kind of the only thing I have an interest in.
You should still give multiplayer a shot, this time it's encouraged to try. By that I mean that nobody can recommend you the MP in Gears 2. :/

Arnie

LEGGZZZZ said:
Correct, and it makes the map movement/flanking opportunities/escapes from death so much better, I think it's going to become a favorite among the gears regulars. Actually all the maps are pretty awesome this time around.
Helps when the gameplay's not a steaming pile of turd. I thought all the Gears 1 maps were pretty decent for their own reasons. Gears 2 however was an odd ensemble of shit maps and mechanics which made for a sour experience. Can't wait to dig into maps like Overpass and Gridlock 3.0.

zlatko

Banned
If I don't count today, and I know I'm getting the game Tuesday at 9:30AMish, then there's only 4 more days.

:O

Super pumped.

_dementia said:
It will be interesting to see what direction they take it, but I'm more interested in all the new modes.
I have to say they do look cool, but I don't want to wind up having to pay for XboxLive.

Ballistik said:
You should still give multiplayer a shot, this time it's encouraged to try. By that I mean that nobody can recommend you the MP in Gears 2. :/

Oh I never played MP in Gears 2 as I never wanted to pay for Live, I got it for the story though.

That said it's been so long I have no clue what the XboxLive costs are and all this season pass stuff is (I suspect I should look at the OP lol).

Truthfully I really didn't start playing MP till Uncharted2 and BFBC2, it was never my thing (mostly because I liked a strong narrative or some sort of story component).

CliffyB said:
This game has the most easter eggs of any game we have ever done.
Did you bring back the war logs and other docs that were in 2?

I have to say they do look cool, but I don't want to wind up having to pay for XboxLive.
I played LAN Horde Mode in Gears 2 for years with my firends. No XBL subscription necessary for that.

Ballistik

ZROCOOL said:
Why the color change on checkout?
Check out the difference in Marcus's hair when he's aiming and shooting. It's nothing, but interesting to know why the change.

Please don't start a riot over it

Ballistik said:
Check out the difference in Marcus's hair when he's aiming and shooting. It's nothing, but interesting to know why the change.

Please don't start a riot over it
It looks better after the change. The hair looks like shit when it moves.

Taurus

Here are my early impressions if someone wishes to read: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30910126&postcount=186

I was going to put some time for Horde 2.0 and Beast mode today, but there's not enough players online to have a party yet. :/ Too bad. Well, I tried both in a single player party, and oh boy was Horde 2.0 awesome! I passed first 4 waves to see how the new fortification/money system works. Oh, and couple of Shriekers can really be a pain in the ass when there are other bigger enemies around you already. I can see me playing this for dozens and dozens of hours, or at least until BF3 arrives. :)

Beast mode seems fun too, but it's really hard alone compared to Horde 2.0 so I can't say much about that since I died pretty soon, and 1 minute time limit is really tough when playing alone.

Raide

Drealmcc0y said:
Im dissapointed that Beast mode is against bots. Will probably get stale quick because of that.

Im all about the versus anyway.

Its taken them years to get Horde mode awesome, so its a shame it might take a few more to get Beast Mode awesome.

It seems like great fun outside of the Horde and MP mode.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Alienshogun said:
You won't get banned, but you won't get the right unlocks if you have VG from GOW 2 either.

The TU isn't going live until release.

Cool, thanks guys, but what do you mean I won't get the right unlocks? I have save files from both GOW1 and GOW2, by playing GOW3 day I'm screwing myself over with content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom