• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

striKeVillain! said:
Oh well, only a couple of more days left. Also, Hotel looks like the most impressive MP map so far. It sure is pretty.
It looks the least visually interesting to me.

-PXG-

Alienshogun said:
Yeah, I've been mentioning this. There must be some cap where the EXP becomes exponentially harder.

Big rig Dizzy? Wat?

Look at Gears 2. 1-50 was pretty easy. 51-around 75 took a little bit longer. 76 onward (even though the "official" drop off is 81) is ridiculous. It will probably be similar in Gears 3.

You also have to factor in that some players are really good, have a lot of time, and playing against bots or really shitty players.

Hopefully Epic will reset all of the stats.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-PXG- said:
Look at Gears 2. 1-50 was pretty easy. 51-around 75 took a little bit longer. 76 onward (even though the "official" drop off is 81) is ridiculous. It will probably be similar in Gears 3.

You also have to factor in that some players are really good, have a lot of time, and playing against bots or really shitty players.

Hopefully Epic will reset all of the stats.

True, but they are getting up hella fast. Just has me a bit concerned is all.

Vire

Pretty great quote from the OXM review:

"The evidence is indisputable: Gears of War 3 is the ultimate realization of the Xbox 360 console, much in the same way Halo 2 was for the original Xbox. It maximizes the hardware's horsepower; boasts a fully featured, seamless online experience that serves up both competitive and cooperative gameplay; and it's enduringly replayable online or off. Quite simply, Gears of War 3 leaves no stone unturned - it's everything a triple-A blockbuster should be."

If Gears 3 has the same impact as Halo 2 did for multiplayer... man that would be epic.

I want to get into this series so badly but the only thing holding me back is the art-style. The game is so beautiful from a technical perspective but to me it seems wasted because the art is just awful. Maybe the gameplay will be good enough to help me look past it. I also don't have much of an attachment to the series because I just got a 360 last year and I don't own 1 or 2 (although I've played them a good bit with friends).

I'm still on the fence with this one for now.

-PXG-

Alienshogun said:
True, but they are getting up hella fast. Just has me a bit concerned is all.

Epic has mentioned that they want to make the game more "accessible". Perhaps leveling up is faster. Also, you can level up in EVERY mode now.

OrangeOak said:
I don't like it that much either,Overpass on the other hand...
Oh nice, didn't even know about Overpass.

Admittedly, my hype for this game has come recently so I'm not familiar with all that much right now. It's packed with so much damn content.

TRios Zen

Vire said:

"The evidence is indisputable: Gears of War 3 is the ultimate realization of the Xbox 360 console, much in the same way Halo 2 was for the original Xbox. It maximizes the hardware's horsepower; boasts a fully featured, seamless online experience that serves up both competitive and cooperative gameplay; and it's enduringly replayable online or off. Quite simply, Gears of War 3 leaves no stone unturned - it's everything a triple-A blockbuster should be."

If Gears 3 has the same impact as Halo 2 did for multiplayer... man that would be epic.

Outside of this thread, I've put myself on a media blackout, to avoid spoilers - but that sounds like high-praise there.

Not sure I could be more excited for this game to drop than I already was, but reassuring to hear that those who have played it are thoroughly enjoying it.

mocoworm said:
Are you serious ?
Absolutely. Every time I watch a video of the game or see a screenshot I get this mixed reaction where I enjoy the technical aspects of the aesthetics but I hate the actual art behind it. Everything looks too desaturated to me and I really don't like the character design.

Vire said:

I doubt Gears 3 will have any impact as far as multiplayer goes. In a perfect world it would get people to realize that dedicated servers are better, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen. Battlefield has had dedicated servers for consoles for years, but no one seems to care. CoD is too big at this point.

There have been two CoD games and one Halo in the top 3 since World at War, and I don't think that Gears 3 will be able to change that. Not in the long run.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Absolutely. Every time I watch a video of the game or see a screenshot I get this mixed reaction where I enjoy the technical aspects of the aesthetics but I hate the actual art behind it. Everything looks too desaturated to me and I really don't like the character design.
Just think of it as self-parody and roll with it. Otherwise... the game probably just isn't for you.

pr0cs

Vire said:

"The evidence is indisputable: Gears of War 3 is the ultimate realization of the Xbox 360 console, much in the same way Halo 2 was for the original Xbox. "
Couldn't agree with this more. Gears has been, for me, the signature game of the 360, much more so that Halo.

_dementia said:
Just think of it as self-parody and roll with it. Otherwise... the game probably just isn't for you.
I feel like I need to at least give it a shot because I love a good shooting game and the gameplay in every video I've seen looks too well polished to pass on. Like I said, I'm on the fence.

Maybe the self-parody approach will help.

OrangeOak said:
Here is some nice gameplay from this map,I love these moving shadows from clouds and overall look of this map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE176NOcjbo
FGVZQ.gif

My god at those character models. I love the dynamic elements of the map too.

An-Det

And so begins the most difficult part of this, when some people already have the game and all the reviews tell you it's amazing and that you need it now. Great reviews so far. 5 long days now await.

Coldsnap

Avoiding reviews but glad to see they are all glowing with praise. I cant wait! I'll have my first semester tests over too when the game arrives.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-PXG- said:
Epic has mentioned that they want to make the game more "accessible". Perhaps leveling up is faster. Also, you can level up in EVERY mode now.

True, they also said they think the gold omen skin would be the rarest (reach 100)

Guess we will see soon enough.

LosDaddie

Banned
AndyMoogle said:
I doubt Gears 3 will have any impact as far as multiplayer goes. In a perfect world it would get people to realize that dedicated servers are better, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen. Battlefield has had dedicated servers for consoles for years, but no one seems to care. CoD is too big at this point.

There have been two CoD games and one Halo in the top 3 since World at War, and I don't think that Gears 3 will be able to change that. Not in the long run.

While dedicated servers are better for performance, the Party System is one of the main reasons why CoD's/Halo's MP are so popular. Gamers just want to choose the gametype and let XBL find the matches for them.

I'm very happy Epic decided to keep the Party System for Gears 3.

ShaneB

-PXG- said:

This is one of the few things I wish companies would steal from CoD in terms of leveling. In Gears it's just 1-100. In CoD, you can prestige over multiple times, making it what, 750 levels or whatever it was in MW2(sorry if my numbers are off, been a while since I've played a CoD title). So with essentially 750 levels, that level gap is shorter, meaning that next hurdle is only slightly out of reach, but clearly visible. But having so few levels in Gears, those next levels can seem damn far away.

It's something nitpicky sure, but it's nice seeing numbers go up without feeling like the next number is so far away.

/end silly rant.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ShaneB said:
This is one of the few things I wish companies would steal from CoD in terms of leveling. In Gears it's just 1-100. In CoD, you can prestige over multiple times, making it what, 750 levels or whatever it was in MW2(sorry if my numbers are off, been a while since I've played a CoD title). So with essentially 750 levels, that level gap is shorter, meaning that next hurdle is only slightly out of reach, but clearly visible. But having so few levels in Gears, those next levels can seem damn far away.

It's something nitpicky sure, but it's nice seeing numbers go up without feeling like the next number is so far away.

/end silly rant.

I personally hate the idea of prestiging.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
k now that I have the game, can I play it or will I get my Live account banned or something at this point?

John Harker said:
k now that I have the game, can I play it or will I get my Live account banned or something at this point?
Nah, MS has said that playing early with a legitmate copy never gets you banned.
I hope I'll get mine tomorrow.

ShaneB

pr0cs said:
Couldn't agree with this more. Gears has been, for me, the signature game of the 360, much more so that Halo.

Agreed. Plenty of Halo fans started with the original Xbox making its mark there, but Gears brought in so many new players to this generation, me included. It was a huge new franchise and just felt like saying "here we are, enjoy the 360"

ShaneB

Alienshogun said:
I personally hate the idea of prestiging.

It's not about prestiging(is that a word?), it's just to describe the level differential.

If leveling up is just a number with no gameplay affect, why have a limit? Instead of 1-100, why not just go to 1000?

edit: I don't mean to sound nitpicky, and it's something incredibly silly to wonder about, blah blah filling up bars, but I just wonder about this stuff. Ah well

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
John Harker said:

You won't get banned, but you won't get the right unlocks if you have VG from GOW 2 either.

The TU isn't going live until release.

ShaneB said:
It's not about prestiging(is that a word?), it's just to describe the level differential.

If leveling up is just a number with no gameplay affect, why have a limit? Instead of 1-100, why not just go to 1000?

Because people need an end goal to reach, if you tell them it's never ending, people stop caring.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Just pre-ordered my copy, UK BB are doing it for £34.99 for a £2 deposit.

Very intrigued to see what environments are in the game, the caverns in Gears 2 were amazing.

ShaneB

Alienshogun said:
Because people need an end goal to reach, if you tell them it's never ending, people stop caring.

The goal is to have a bigger number than someone else, and I suppose the idea of something like a prestige, is to indeed have those smaller goals.

But this is all minor stuff as I keep saying, I don't give a crap about this stuff really, I just want this damn game and to play player matches and have a good time.

LosDaddie said:
While dedicated servers are better for performance, the Party System is one of the main reasons why CoD's/Halo's MP are so popular. Gamers just want to choose the gametype and let XBL find the matches for them.

I'm very happy Epic decided to keep the Party System for Gears 3.
I'd say that both Halo and CoD do that better though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm not sure if anyone besides Cliffy can clear this up but, will I earn all of the achievements in Arcade the same I would if I was in regular campaign mode?

For example, I want to do a hardcore run first time through, and then through again on Insane, but I want to check out all the point scoring goodness that made Halo 3+ awesome at the same time, and don't want to get screwed by not getting insane complete achievements and other campaign-related achievements.

ShaneB

OrangeOak said:
I just hope that for me and my firends Gears 3 will be the game that Gears 1 was.
After Gears 2 this whole thing just fell apart :(

I think that's the case for a lot of people.

Know I played Gears 1 with friends from release right up until Gears 2.... and then we played Gears 2 together for a couple weeks, and then it was dead.

Ballistik

enzo_gt said:
I'm not sure if anyone besides Cliffy can clear this up but, will I earn all of the achievements in Arcade the same I would if I was in regular campaign mode?

For example, I want to do a hardcore run first time through, and then through again on Insane, but I want to check out all the point scoring goodness that made Halo 3+ awesome at the same time, and don't want to get screwed by not getting insane complete achievements and other campaign-related achievements.
Well he replied to this on the top of this page. I'm still curious too though, if I'm essentially missing out on something for wanting to see points attached to each kill.

Somewhat spoilerish if you're really interested in easter eggs, this one is related to a multiplayer map, no story spoilers or anything. Remember that "secret weapon" in Checkout that Cliffy talked about and was found in the beta?

It was a smoke grenade in the beta, now it's a
fire extinguisher you can spray around.

Anyone else with the game tried to use it yet? I try to use it on enemies but
it does nothing to 'em! Well, I imagine it'll make some people go WTF but that's about it, haha.

I seem to recall someone from the dev team commented that
activating the switches to sound the fire alarm and gain access to the box where it's hidden
was the first step in a chain of things you need to do to get the whole easter egg going. But
there aren't any fires in Checkout to put out
. I'm stumped. >:|

EDIT: A-ha! I found something else...
there IS a fire in Checkout
. :)

Alienshogun said:
You mean like dropping people mid search? lol
Well, I haven't played CoD or Halo in a long time, but at least CoD4 had the option of following the leader back in to the party lobby for example. That was almost 4 years ago.

Overall most people will probably find the whole CoD setup to be faster. It's more streamlined, and most people probably prefer first person over third person. Also, if you die, you can be right back in the game without any wait.

I can't really see Gears 3 doing anything special in regards with the overall online experience other than having dedicated servers; which I doubt most people even care about. They don't seem to care about host advantage in the CoD and Halo games. It's always Gears that gets slack for host advantage when in fact all games, that don't use dedicated servers, have it.

I know that what CoD does can't be replicated with Gears. They are completely different games. I'm just saying that Gears can't be the biggest online game on 360 anymore, and it certainly won't make the same impact as Halo 2 did.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
AndyMoogle said:
Well, I haven't played CoD or Halo in a long time, but at least CoD4 had the option of following the leader back in to the party lobby for example. That was almost 4 years ago.

Overall most people will probably find the whole CoD setup to be faster. It's more streamlined, and most people probably prefer first person over third person. Also, if you die, you can be right back in the game without any wait.

I can't really see Gears 3 doing anything special in regards with the overall online experience other than having dedicated servers; which I doubt most people even care about. They don't seem to care about host advantage in the CoD and Halo games. It's always Gears that gets slack for host advantage when in fact all games, that don't use dedicated servers, have it.

I know that what CoD does can't be replicated with Gears. They are completely different games. I'm just saying that Gears can't be the biggest online game on 360 anymore, and it certainly won't make the same impact as Halo 2 did.

WHAAAA?!?!

Granted, most casual players won't know what that means, or that they are in, but they WILL notice the game actually works.

Alienshogun said:
WHAAAA?!?!

Granted, most casual players won't know what that means, or that they are in, but they WILL notice the game actually works.
People think that CoD works, so I doubt they will think this works better.

Besides, it doesn't really matter if they notice it or not, because this game actually takes skill. You don't just run straight ahead and shoot. If there is any kind of effort required to play the game, like with Gears and Battlefield, then most people won't bother with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom