• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
enzo_gt said:
A game that shipped 10 million for launch outshined Gears in it's release week?

Say it ain't so, doc!

You're not that ignorant are you?

BF3 didn't sell 10 million on 360. This is a 360 list.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Full Recovery said:
Just wait until MW3 flies off the shelves and bumps Gears down another notch.

1. MW3
2. Blackops
3. MW2.
4. BF3
5. Gears 3.

Shit is going to be hilarious.

This is not a sales list though, just to be clear, it's a unique users list of who played what at least once during the week.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alienshogun said:
You're not that ignorant are you?

BF3 didn't sell 10 million on 360. This is a 360 list.
Shipped, btw. Point being its a big release. This stuff happens every single time there's a big release and it stabilizes over the long term. I think BF3 will hold the crown for a while though in the coming months. Gears will always be top 10.

CoD is a problem though, people can't shake that shit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
enzo_gt said:
Shipped, btw. Point being its a big release. This stuff happens every single time there's a big release and it stabilizes over the long term. I think BF3 will hold the crown for a while though in the coming months. Gears will always be top 10.

CoD is a problem though, people can't shake that shit.

Your statement had nothing to do with what I was posting.

Big release or not, my post was wondering if Alpha will put it back above BF3.

Your sarky comment fell flat, and is irrelevant.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alienshogun said:
Your statement had nothing to do with what I was posting.

Big release or not, my post was wondering if Alpha will put it back above BF3.

Your sarky comment fell flat, and is irrelevant.
Eh, not my fault your original reply to me had nothing really related to what I said aside from giving yourself an excuse to throw the word ignorant out there irregardless of context.

Relax bro, it was a joke if you missed it.

Just woke up.

If anyone is down for:

Onyx Guard Horde
Invitation-related achievements
or
Insane Mode Beast

Hit me up on XBL, I'm adversity1. Will wait until I've got five folks.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Proposed Law said:
I never played Gears 1 and 2 multiplayer. I'm loving 3 so much I'm skipping MW3 and B3. Great job CiffyB and Epic!

I'm the opposite. I still like GOW 3, but I'm getting MW3, and BF3 is actually pretty good.

adversesolutions said:
Just woke up.

If anyone is down for:

Onyx Guard Horde
Invitation-related achievements
or
Insane Mode Beast

Hit me up on XBL, I'm adversity1. Will wait until I've got five folks.

Ill do horde, no mic. StalkerUKCG send invite

Kydd BlaZe

Apparently there is a Boomshot glitch on Checkout. Just got out of a ranked execution match where the other team was able to get a Boomshot to spawn near the Mulcher.

Alienshogun said:

Not shocking. I wonder if BF3 can sustain this though. If I recall correctly BC2 debuted pretty high only to be knocked down to the lower half of the top 10 for the remainder of it's life.

With me already owning Gears 3 and BF3, I'm not sure about picking up MW3. I already have 2 excellent games I'm devoting alot of time to, and I don't think I would play MW3 that much if I got it. I was kinda in the same boat with CoD World at War and Gears 2; I ended up trading in World at War to devote more time to Gears 2 :D

Alpha is glorious. I was actually getting killed by people who aimed and had skill. There were actually awesome shotgun battles again, and chainsaw trains, and there is more than just sawed off ammo on the ground.

Plus nobody ever picks up the hammerburst so I can still use it regularly.

Stat Flow said:
Just checking in to say that Alpha is still fucking awesome and superior to every other playlist out there.

Gears Of War 3 |OT2| Based Alpha
Gears Of War 3 |OT2| Im so Alpha
Gears Of War 3 |OT2| Down from the heavens, they gave us ALPHA.
Gears Of War 3 |OT2| Alpha to the end
Gears Of War 3 |OT2| Pray Omega never comes.

Ballistik

Talk about impulse buy.

Ended up buying Battlefield 3 today when I went to the store. Had no intention either.

Yeah... I'm not even playing it with Alpha here!

unomas

Banned
I had no idea an Alpha playlist was coming, I had converted to a Retro/Sawed Off whore, but I'll definitely be on the Alpha playlist now. Gears 1 all over again, love it!

Kydd BlaZe said:
Apparently there is a Boomshot glitch on Checkout. Just got out of a ranked execution match where the other team was able to get a Boomshot to spawn near the Mulcher.
It's no glitch - the Boomshot replaces the fire extinguisher. ;)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
After yesterday's posts I wanted to add today that I seem to be back on form. I only die now if I'm sloppy or make a mistake or the other team outmanoeuvres me and I understand why I die each time or why I didn't kill someone.

I did die to the SOS more than I usually do so I'm still a bit rusty there I think. It doesn't enrage me though, it adds a puzzle to the mixer that I relish solving. I don't get the hate. Everytime I die to it I know what I should've done different and I try to change my game up to adapt. I always note who it was and make a point to get them back and show them that if I play properly they don't get close to me with the SOS.

But I think the crux is connection and netcode is so important in gears. Sometimes you get games where shots don't seem to register, weird shit happens like you get that spawn protection/execution sound when you're shooting someone in the open. I've had moments where someone's been down at my feet, I'm close enough to get the execution button to appear but I'm shooting another enemy in the room so I just want to shoot execute this guy but I get the "execution denied" sound as if I'm too far away?

EliCash

Alpha is amazing - I would like to see Warzone Alpha though. I still personally think that 4 on 4 Warzone is the way Gears should be played.

Regardless of what happens with Alpha, please keep a 4v4 playlist. Also, I hope too much attention isn't paid to weapon complaints - the game is pretty spectacularly balanced I think.

I don't follow these threads, but what's the general consensus on Mausoleum, the Gears 1 map? I fucking loved that map. Me and the dude that I've been playing Gears with since Gears 1 would be happy with 8 round Mausoleum Warzone until we die - which is another point, extremely glad to see that Warzone was put up to 5 rounds.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
4v4 Execution is imo, the way Gears was intended to be played. I'm not opposed to Warzonne being added to Alpha at all, though. Reason being is that if you down someone from far away in Warzone, you can kill them. In other words there can be a team that wins with no CQC at all. Not that this is the worst thing ever, but in execution if you want to earn your kill, you're gonna have to get your hands dirty. It also causes risk, do I want to leave my position to go get this kill or what? And then that's tactics.

Oh, and I loved Mausoleum, it wasn't a top Gears 1 map but it's better than a quite a few of these maps in Gears 2 and Gears 3.

Kydd BlaZe

Ballistik said:
Talk about impulse buy.

Ended up buying Battlefield 3 today when I went to the store. Had no intention either.

Yeah... I'm not even playing it with Alpha here!
LOL I did the EXACT same thing yesterday.

X-Frame

Stat Flow said:
4v4 Execution is imo, the way Gears was intended to be played. I'm not opposed to Warzonne being added to Alpha at all, though. Reason being is that if you down someone from far away in Warzone, you can kill them. In other words there can be a team that wins with no CQC at all. Not that this is the worst thing ever, but in execution if you want to earn your kill, you're gonna have to get your hands dirty. It also causes risk, do I want to leave my position to go get this kill or what? And then that's tactics.

Oh, and I loved Mausoleum, it wasn't a top Gears 1 map but it's better than a quite a few of these maps in Gears 2 and Gears 3.
I never played Execution during Gears 1, only Warzone. I suppose I tried both but didn't like the gameplay of Ex or something. Maybe it was the fact that I could down someone from across the map yet not kill them but I can certainly see the allure of Ex.

I still think Alpha Ex/Wz and Alpha TDM/KOTH would be perfect. Either randomized game types and maps or being able to vote on both.

Though I haven't played yet. I STILL have no power in my house.

Falagard

EliCash said:
Alpha is amazing...

Also, I hope too much attention isn't paid to weapon complaints - the game is pretty spectacularly balanced I think.

Actually, playing Alpha shows how badly balanced the SoS is. Now that it's a pickup it's even more obvious how overpowered it is because other players aren't expecting it. Once you have it, you can tear through people. What this shows me is that the SoS is not balanced, it's just that with Gears 3 we've conditioned ourselves to play super defensively in close quarters because of the likelihood of people carrying SoS. Once the SoS is no longer a spawn weapon, people play differently and the SoS is a power weapon.

Also, it shows how much better gameplay is now that you don't have to worry about 50% of people carrying the SoS - the close quarters combat is so much better.

Managed to get the "It's hammer time" achievement tonight.

Good lord did that take a lot of grinding.

My turrets were only at Level 3, so getting them up to 8 was the long haul. That took about a full day. Once I had opened up the command center it was just a matter of using it every wave of a 40 wave horde run to max it at level 4.

I seriously fucking love Horde mode. Even if it makes me grind to obnoxious levels, it truly is tons of fun.

I think with the new weapons they have given with this DLC (Command Center, dummy Onyx Guard, Silverback rocket), Insane Horde clear is probably much more accessible.

Arjen

I still need to try the Alpha playlist, it sounds awesome, there is just so litle time with al the other games :(

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Still have yet to play the Alpha playlist despite playing Gears 1 from launch, but I hope that they change the flow to Gears 2 soon, especially in the 4v4 sense - been used to 5v5 since Gears 2, and it also means one less person on the squad gets to play. But the choice is still nice that we can hop in there if we're down a guy instead of having to rely on a stranger. Plus having Hammerburst as a starting weapon again. Been playing lots of Horde last night with a little MP with 5 friends last night, gonna try to hop in the Alpha playlist tonight.

Cliff, I hope that something really is improving with the Hammerburst like I was pointing out some days ago, because like I said some time ago, nothing needs to be reduced with the Lancer whatsoever, because if it happened, then people who can't counter Gnasher & Sawed-Off rushers have more fuel to complain with.

Seth Balmore said:
It's no glitch - the Boomshot replaces the fire extinguisher. ;)

Well that shakes things up on Checkout - I love that, and should be a nice surprise on plenty of people when I start to play later tonight :)

Since I sent my laptop off three weeks ago, I feel like I'm behind big time with things like this, I like being on top of these little Gears changes - I love how Epic keep doing little things like this which is why the hate they get pisses me off.

Lima

adversesolutions said:
Managed to get the "It's hammer time" achievement tonight.

Good lord did that take a lot of grinding.

Now do the silverback. Only takes 300k to get it from level 2 to 3. That is grinding by definition.

But playing on insane with super reload and two 10% hard mutators it is pretty easy to get the bar up since your money is worth 110%.

This is something that is pretty stupid imo and the game does not tell you that the money you invest towards your fortifications change with the difficulty level you are playing on.

Casual = 60%
Normal = 80%
Hardcore = 100%
Insane = 110%

StalkerUKCG said:
Gears Of War 3 |OT2| Based Alpha
Gears Of War 3 |OT2| Im so Alpha
Gears Of War 3 |OT2| Down from the heavens, they gave us ALPHA.
Gears Of War 3 |OT2| Alpha to the end
Gears Of War 3 |OT2| Pray Omega never comes.
|OT2| Where's Rojas?

Cliffy, spawn protection doesn't need to be reduced in time, however if you are invincible and u scope or fire your gun the protection should cease immediately.

Lima said:
Now do the silverback. Only takes 300k to get it from level 2 to 3. That is grinding by definition.

But playing on insane with super reload and two 10% hard mutators it is pretty easy to get the bar up since your money is worth 110%.

This is something that is pretty stupid imo and the game does not tell you that the money you invest towards your fortifications change with the difficulty level you are playing on.

Casual = 60%
Normal = 80%
Hardcore = 100%
Insane = 110%

Haha, yeah silverback is just where I'm at now.
Luckily, before the DLC I managed to raise my level to 2, so I only have to get to 3 and then missile spam a bunch of enemies.

I actually thought I'd started out on the Silverback immediately, and was grinding it for a Horde run when I realized that after 30 waves, my progress bar was still less than 1/20 or so of the way up. That's gonna be a fun grind.

Luckily I fucking love Horde so I don't mind at all.

I'm very much looking forward to the Beast Mode DLC whenever they put it out. Really if Beast mode had level up features like Horde, I'd probably be even more addicted to that. I wonder what fiendish ways Epic will come up with to keep me glued to the screen for that.

ShaneB

Kydd BlaZe said:
LOL I did the EXACT same thing yesterday.

Same. I had bought BF3 and came home to see the alpha playlist news. Both are scratching different itches. Gears is great, but it's all about small intimate battles. BF3 has been fun knowing the scale is so much larger, but man, it's been a ghost town, no one chats!

Montresor

Lima said:

Casual = 60%
Normal = 80%
Hardcore = 100%
Insane = 110%

Where you playing alone on insane? And which hard mutators did you use?

edit: Just noticed the mistake. "Were," =p

Lima

Nope I was playing with two friends that needed to upgrade all their other shit so I had the silverback all for myself.

We used super reload, no ammo pickups and enemy regeneration(can't remember the name).

Play waves 1-10 and die during the bosswave and start from the beginning.

Montresor

Lima said:
Nope I was playing with two friends that needed to upgrade all their other shit so I had the silverback all for myself.

We used super reload, no ammo pickups and enemy regeneration(can't remember the name).

Play waves 1-10 and die during the bosswave and start from the beginning.

Wouldn't it be better to have infinite ammo, no ammo pickups, and enemy regeneration? Also, friendly fire adds experience just like the no ammo and enemy regen mutators, no?

I've gotta try this out.

Lima

Friendly fire only adds 5% and not 10% like the others.

Basically your setup is this. You get 110% for playing on insane. You then get -25% for super reload and plus 20% for the other ones so you come out with 105% at the end.

Also I would always recommend super reload. If you don't have a group of 4-5 people and good communication so that you always take on grinders with at least 2-3 people's lancers you will die pretty quickly. The just eat the bullets on insane.

mernst23

Bought the season pass last night with a 20$ off gamestop coupon. Hurray 4 DLC's for $12.

Blood Drive looks so much different, and I still haven't played Rustlung yet but Azura seems like it would be a solid versus map. Time to max out on some Horde Onyx's.

malfcn

It amazes me how bad some people are at this game. A random was a rank 30-something, and *not* AFK. He went 3-19 on Sandbar. Amazing.

Also, the Spawn Protection gets in the way on certain maps. On Trenches and Hotel specifically. People can run into the fight and be protected. Or fights can carry over into these areas. After I got burned a few times I used it to my advantage. Running on Hotel halfway to Boom and getting a Triple was fun.

The Lancer clip is so deep. I feel like I have to reload it sometimes, but it is only half way empty! Then there is the Hammerburst, where I can down someone and have 1-2 bullets left (often) and it gets 'nabbed.

zlatko

Banned
CyReN said:
Cliffy meeting with MLG CEO Sundance today, hope to see it on the circuit in 12'.

That would be a wise move on MLG's side. Gears is a fun as hell to watch shooter, especially compared to how snooze inducing Black Ops was. I'm just curious who they'd get for commentary if it became a sponsored game.

CyReN

zlatko said:
That would be a wise move on MLG's side. Gears is a fun as hell to watch shooter, especially compared to how snooze inducing Black Ops was. I'm just curious who they'd get for commentary if it became a sponsored game.

Unbreakable (Gears commentator for MLG in the past) will be doing some Halo commentating in Providence coming up iin a few weeks, also Gandhi has been doing a lot of online Gears tourney commentating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom