• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
CyReN said:
Unbreakable (Gears commentator for MLG in the past) will be doing some Halo commentating in Providence coming up iin a few weeks, also Gandhi has been doing a lot of online Gears tourney commentating.

Sounds good. I wonder if they'll follow the same rules set for Gamebattles or if they'd tweak something completely new.

I'll laugh if the SOS gets used. :p

CyReN

zlatko said:
Sounds good. I wonder if they'll follow the same rules set for Gamebattles or if they'd tweak something completely new.

I'll laugh if the SOS gets used. :p

Old Gears pros and Killa KC (gametype tester for MLG) have been talking a lot about the rules, trust me it's in good hands.

EliCash

Falagard said:
Actually, playing Alpha shows how badly balanced the SoS is. Now that it's a pickup it's even more obvious how overpowered it is because other players aren't expecting it. Once you have it, you can tear through people. What this shows me is that the SoS is not balanced, it's just that with Gears 3 we've conditioned ourselves to play super defensively in close quarters because of the likelihood of people carrying SoS. Once the SoS is no longer a spawn weapon, people play differently and the SoS is a power weapon.

Also, it shows how much better gameplay is now that you don't have to worry about 50% of people carrying the SoS - the close quarters combat is so much better.

Ok I actually agree with this despite what I said. I still don't think the SoS is as much of a problem as a lot of people make out though. I only use it on rare occasion.

It is a lot better having it as a pick up though.

Lothars

EliCash said:
Ok I actually agree with this despite what I said. I still don't think the SoS is as much of a problem as a lot of people make out though. I only use it on rare occasion.

I don't think it should be a pickup though, It's fine being a default weapon that said I don't have a problem with them doing this alpha playlist and having it as a pickup weapon.

I just hope that regular gears 3 it stays as a default starting weapon even though I use the gnasher most of the time.

Moofers

Anyone looking for a solid Horde partner, I'm on about 3 nights a week around 10pm Central. I usually play for a few hours each time. My gamertag is Uno Ill Nino level is 52 and I pretty much play Horde exclusively. Got everything maxed now except the Silverback lvl 3 and Sentry lvl 7 (or is it 6?).

Robot Pants

EliCash said:
I only use it on rare occasion.

Yea only YOU use it on rare occasion. Everyone else uses it constantly. It's not a good gun for Gears.
Definitely better as a pickup. In fact, I have no problem with it being a pick up only.

zlatko

Banned
This game is so fucking bad when you don't have the SOS as a magnet to direct hate to. Strip it away and you start to see the other things that need SERIOUS fucking work. :/

zlatko

Banned
Alienshogun said:

People spanking my downs after 3 itterations and them getting the benefit.

The fact that execution in Alpha only goes up to 4 rounds when it should be 5.

Pre activing Gnasher bullets because active Gnasher is broken as fuck.

Host advantage is 1000X worse here due to insane weapons like Lancer.

Lancer having 29030423 bullets.

Joining a quick match where a fucking bot is at the top of overpass with a whole team camping, and you can't join into the game because that bot won't ever die.

Spawns are a joke.

You can camp people into spawns easy as hell.

Spawn protection is turd.

There is some seriously bad maps i.e Overpass that needs major fixes.

I can go on and on. This game is far from perfect, and the SOS not being a magnet just shows how shitty a lot of this game is.

zlatko

Banned
ViewtifulJC said:
I like it, personally

Don't get me wrong when the game is on fire it's a blast, but I find myself that being a rare case. I can't always be with my buddies when I have time to play and get that itch. With randoms this game goes to straight dog shit for me and it pisses me off to no ends.

It's probably less the game and more myself that I just can't stomach a mountain of shit everytime I want to play Gears and I cross my fingers for some good matches. It just makes me hop real quick over to BF3 so I don't rage, but I WANT to be playing Gears. ; ;

X-Frame

zlatko, I notice you've mentioned Host Advantage multiple times throughout this thread but this game has dedicated servers on most of the time, right?

I've never once seen host advantage. Has there been lag? Of course, but everyone seemed to be affected equally, or as fairly as possible depending where the dedicated server exists (region).

So I'm confused because it was my impression there is no hosts, and if the dedicated servers go down it's only rarely.

Robot Pants

ViewtifulJC said:
I simply refuse to play with randoms. The game is 300% more fun when you don't have to worry about crappy teammates

I've only played with randoms since day 1 and I got a 2.6 k/d and 2.8 w/l come at me.
But seriously I would love a team to actually play with sometime. My gears friend's xbox died and he doesn't have the means or time to get a new one.

zlatko

Banned
X-Frame said:
zlatko, I notice you've mentioned Host Advantage multiple times throughout this thread but this game has dedicated servers on most of the time, right?

I've never once seen host advantage. Has there been lag? Of course, but everyone seemed to be affected equally, or as fairly as possible depending where the dedicated server exists (region).

So I'm confused because it was my impression there is no hosts, and if the dedicated servers go down it's only rarely.

I think it has to either do with my IP is what Shogun mentioned, or it's just unlikey timing/region. Like right now it's midday on a Thursday so it would make sense that dedi's would be down during these hours when people aren't really on.

It's not even a case of oh I got pooped on, but a matter of watching someone who's overall stats are 1.1 in a game type and he goes something like 14 and 1, with the guy in second barely touching 7. It's super frustrating to know if that one guy was out of the equation your team is on even footing.

; ; I hate getting mad at this game, because I want to love it, but the times it's been good to me are only when I'm playing with my friends. I can't say the same for other MP games. I can play whenever and enjoy myself.

zlatko said:
; ; I hate getting mad at this game, because I want to love it, but the times it's been good to me are only when I'm playing with my friends. I can't say the same for other MP games. I can play whenever and enjoy myself.

Yeah, I could play random TF2 servers and have a lot of fun, or back when I was playing Halo fanatically I could lone wolf it and have a good time. Not with Gears, baby.

ATTENTION Hammerburst lovers:

Quinn "mangod" Delhoyo said:
Ok everyone. After testing the Hammerburst internally we have decided to push some tweaks live for you to play with. Here they are:

1. Long range damage increased. The Hammerburst used to lose damage past a certain distance, but no longer does. This should help it excel at its intended role as a long range weapon.

2. Added two extra magazines. There are complaints about wanting to be the backfield support player but struggle to do so when players consistently run out of ammo. We feel that this will help you fulfill that role.

3. Increased the accuracy while moving. Basically your accuracy will only be affected by firing the weapon and not by moving, and you will notice the reticle no longer changes while moving.

We know that there has been much feedback on the shallow magazine size. We feel that right now that isn't the answer for a few reasons. First, the Hammerburst is tiring to use by requiring the player to constantly fan the trigger and adding more ammo would just contribute to that. The active reload mini-game is a fun respite that comes at just the right time. Second, we want the rifle to still retain some of its skill gap. Adding more rounds per magazine would undermine the choosing between a quick reload or high damage decision making as well as not reward a player for being a "good shot". Third, we don't like the idea of messing up the ammo counter on the player's HUD. Trying to keep the HUD clear and accurate.

The other bit of feedback from you all was about adding a headshot multiplier. Right now we are choosing not to go this route. The weapon balance in this game is feeling really good and we are holding off on drastic changes when there were still some knobs that were yet to be turned.

So hop on, try it out, and let us know what you think.
Exciting news. I can understand haters bitching; I know I'm] going to destroy with this new Hammy. *rubs hands together*

Robot Pants

I dunno, I always thought the HB was perfectly fine as it was. Very strong. Now it seems REALLY strong. But I'll have to play with it.
Of all the things to fix though....the HB?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
zlatko said:
People spanking my downs after 3 itterations and them getting the benefit.

The fact that execution in Alpha only goes up to 4 rounds when it should be 5.

Pre activing Gnasher bullets because active Gnasher is broken as fuck.

Host advantage is 1000X worse here due to insane weapons like Lancer.

Lancer having 29030423 bullets.

Joining a quick match where a fucking bot is at the top of overpass with a whole team camping, and you can't join into the game because that bot won't ever die.

Spawns are a joke.

You can camp people into spawns easy as hell.

Spawn protection is turd.

There is some seriously bad maps i.e Overpass that needs major fixes.

I can go on and on. This game is far from perfect, and the SOS not being a magnet just shows how shitty a lot of this game is.

Except for your lag issue I would consider most/all of those minor, but it's an opinion thing anyway, so I could see your POV.

zlatko

Banned
Robot Pants said:
I dunno, I always thought the HB was perfectly fine as it was. Very strong. Now it seems REALLY strong. But I'll have to play with it.

Yeah the ink and fire nades could use tweaking more than HB. It sucks that people can trigger your fire nades and they don't get lit up, and the damage they do when you stand in them is tickling at best. Inks on the other hand you always get people with them, but they always get away if you can't get some rifle ammo in while they are stunned. :(

Robot Pants said:

Yeah... I think it would've been better to focus on balancing the rifles by slightly nerfing the Lancer. At this rate every rifle will down with 1 bullet across the map sooner or later :p

-PXG-

I'll be on later tonight, ready to tear shit up.

Once I get home from work tomorrow though...all fucking weekend. Gonna hook this mother up to my veins.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Seth Balmore said:
ATTENTION Hammerburst lovers:

Exciting news. I can understand haters bitching; I know I'm] going to destroy with this new Hammy. *rubs hands together*

He makes some interesting points but i still dont understand this ammo counter business. How hard can it be to change the hud? As far as fanning the trigger for shots goes, If i can fan it for 10 shots you really think fanning it for 12 shots would make my hand fall off? Come on now. Poor excuse. I do agree with the skill gap point though. Either way any improvement is better than no improvement.

Robot Pants said:
I must admit that upon rethinking what these changes will mean, the new Hammy seems a bit too powerful. I especially don't think the change to the accuracy (point #3 in Quinn's post) was necessary and it'll make the weapon quite deadly in CQB.

I might feel bad about abusing it, lol. But truth is, when you compare it to the monsters that are the Lancer and the Retro (to a lesser extent, but still), it's not that unfair to make the Hammerburst a beast of its own, is it? Then again I'm terribly biased on this particular matter, heh.

Still, kinda wish Epic based their balancing more on nerfing the overpowered weapons rather than buffing the ones that already performed reasonably well...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Seth Balmore said:
I must admit that upon rethinking what the changes mean the new Hammy seems a bit too powerful. I especially don't think the change to the accuracy (point #3 in Quinn's post) was necessary and it'll make the weapon quite deadly in CQB.

I might feel bad about abusing it, lol. But truth is, when you compare it to the monsters that are the Lancer and the Retro (to a lesser extent, but still), it's not that unfair to make the Hammerburst a beast of its own, is it? Then again I'm terribly biased on this particular matter, heh.

Still, kinda wish Epic based their balancing more on nerfing the overpowered weapons rather than buffing the ones that perform reasonably well...

They want everything to be more powerful to make the gnasher LESS intimidating.

edit A lot of people are saying the HB is way too strong, lol.

-PXG-

So it went from Hammerbeast to Hammerbeast-er. Thanks? I mean, it didn't really need a buff, but okay. I'll take it.

lush

Damn, Epic is on fire. Can't wait to hop on and test it out. As a Hammerburst user, nice to see and I do think it was worthy of a buff of some kind.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Seth Balmore said:
I must admit that upon rethinking what these changes will mean, the new Hammy seems a bit too powerful. I especially don't think the change to the accuracy (point #3 in Quinn's post) was necessary and it'll make the weapon quite deadly in CQB.

Still, kinda wish Epic based their balancing more on nerfing the overpowered weapons rather than buffing the ones that already performed reasonably well...

I couldnt disagree more. Nerfing should only be done when something is overwhelming or dare i say broken. Something that is extremely good should stay that way. There should be clear distinctive reasons for why youre playing what weapon you are. Taking that away is never a good idea imo. Now the hammy has that extra kick it needed to compete with the lancer albeit in a clearly different manner.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gr1mLock said:
I couldnt disagree more. Nerfing should only be done when something is overwhelming or dare i say broken. Something that is extremely good should stay that way. There should be clear distinctive reasons for why youre playing what weapon you are. Taking that away is never a good idea imo. Now the hammy has that extra kick it needed to compete with the lancer albeit in a clearly different manner.

To be honest, it already felt even with lancer, but I wouldn't expect anyone who's a fan of the hammerburst to agree.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Alienshogun said:
To be honest, it already felt even with lancer, but I wouldn't expect anyone who's a fan of the hammerburst to agree.

I wouldnt agree cause i dont think thats the case not cause im a fan of the weapon. lancer is a beast at every range with a headshot multiplier and a serious benefit to actives. There's just no way the hammy is nowhere near that good practically. If they wanted to even it out with nerfs i suppose you could take the headshot away from the lancer and reduce the clip size slightly but id rather have a game full of great weapons instead of a game full of shitty ones. Nerfing assault rifles would just bring us back to gears 2.

Lima

RAAAAAGE

I just unlocked level 3 of the silverback. As I said before this took an additional 300k from the 200k already invested.

I was all excited for the rockets only to find out that there is a fourth level to it. Which requires you to spend an additional 400k.

I was like

TF57J.jpg

Those rockets better be fucking awesome.

Edit: Oh shit with level 3 silverback you can upgrade it for 10k to get the rockets. Puh...

Robot Pants

I'm curious if Epic looks at the stats for DOWN and not just Kills.
That Lancer, man......I don't see how the numbers aren't showing it.
Even my own stats on their webpage shows like a 25% kill percentage with it.

EDIT: er, well they did. I guess the war journal is gone at the moment.
Anyhow, I love the alpha playlist.

zlatko

Banned
Has it been stated how much auto aim they gave the Gnasher? I feel like if I hip fire 24/7 I'm guaranteed a headshot 2/5 times I get a kill. It's a bit disgusting.

2San

zlatko said:
Has it been stated how much auto aim they gave the Gnasher? I feel like if I hip fire 24/7 I'm guaranteed a headshot 2/5 times I get a kill. It's a bit disgusting.
Gears has auto-aim? I know of the sticky aim when hard aiming, but never heard of it having auto-aim when hip firing.

Lima said:
Edit: Oh shit with level 3 silverback you can upgrade it for 10k to get the rockets. Puh...

Are the rockets easy to kill with?
I usually get 15 kills or so per wave with Silverback in Horde, so that's about 33 waves to freedom I would gamble.

Ballistik

zlatko said:
Auto Aim? Im always confused about this, because all those PC bots and hacks are called auto aim where it literally aims for you.

I was under the impression that console shooters have AIM ASSIST, which is the sticky aim where it slows down your aim speed when aiming at an enemy.

Lima

adversesolutions said:
Are the rockets easy to kill with?
I usually get 15 kills or so per wave with Silverback in Horde, so that's about 33 waves to freedom I would gamble.

Yeah they are super powerful. You take a lot of damage to the silverback while you are stuck to the ground though.

zlatko

Banned
Ballistik said:
Auto Aim? Im always confused about this, because all those PC bots and hacks are called auto aim where it literally aims for you.

I was under the impression that console shooters have AIM ASSIST, which is the sticky aim where it slows down your aim speed when aiming at an enemy.

Not sure what the terming for this instance is, but I feel like compared to Gears 1 and 2, you get headshots at a VERY frequent rate with the Gnasher, and it isn't limited to just when you are in that 5 foot range. I can hip fire 10+ feet and get headshots. I'm just curious why it is this way. It's clip size, it's range, it's damage, AND how fucking crazy it is with active bullets is more than enough, but now it also has what seems to be increased headshot giving when hip firing it.

You didn't have to be a fan of the hammerburst to see it wasn't on par with the lancer or the retro. I found the snub pistol to be more effective even ( the snub is seriously good )

zlatko said:
Not sure what the terming for this instance is, but I feel like compared to Gears 1 and 2, you get headshots at a VERY frequent rate with the Gnasher, and it isn't limited to just when you are in that 5 foot range. I can hip fire 10+ feet and get headshots. I'm just curious why it is this way. It's clip size, it's range, it's damage, AND how fucking crazy it is with active bullets is more than enough, but now it also has what seems to be increased headshot giving when hip firing it.

getting headshots with the gnasher was apparent in the beta. How many times would you get two maybe three headshots in a row? more than a few. Epic did something, i don't know what it is but i like it.

Plus it's not just hip fire, pop shots seem to dome people a lot more too.

bs000

Montresor said:
What's the best way to get Force Multiplier onyx?

Act 3, Chapter 1 on casual. Turn on super reload and big explosions. Play up until the catapault blows the doors. Grab the boomshot and go inside. Boomshot with big explosions will kill everything in a few shots and then you start the mauler waves. Grab the one shot and kill all the maulers+grinders. End chapter. As soon as the scoreboard screen starts to disappear, hit start before it saves the checkpoint, then reload the last checkpoint. You'll be back at the part just after the catapault. Use the boomshot+one shot again to make quick work of them. There's enough enemies+ extra change to get 10x every time. Repeat 100 times :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm-eTm2lxqA Here's a video. Minus the boomshot and one shot cause he's not awesome like me D:

X-Frame

Alpha is awesome. I just wish that I wasn't stuck in a single game type over and over and that it actually was either one after the other or randomized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom