• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

Stat Flow said:
Also, one of the things I still can't get over when it comes to 3 compared to 1 is the delay when aiming with the gnasher or blindfiring.

I wish I could get a list of all the gameplay mechanics that were changed from Gears 1 so that I can stop being surprised in this game when things feel so off. I didn't play Gears 2 so I don't know what changed in that.

The delay is one of them that I just couldn't understand the past couple weeks when playing because I don't remember that being in Gears 1, but now I know that they tweaked that.

"I hit the fire button WTF?!" -- happened a lot.

zlatko

Banned
I want to know what people hated about BulletMarsh when you take out the fact you can get out of the map.

Without that bug, that map was super tense. Snipers on each side, boom shot in the middle, and a torque on the outside with a great flank path. Such a good flowing map, because there isn't a giant retard spot like Overpass, Sandbar, and Thrashball. (Sit at the top to reap a win)

Bulletmarsh leaves some great CQC in the middle area, and back by the cars where the snipers were. You get that mid range battle for rifles now outside that area, and on the flank path. Then of course, you have that constant threat of the other teams sniper snapping your head off while you try to approach the center. Now without active snipes, it'll be less intimidating and allow only the sickest of shots to strike the fear of the lord in you.

The map aesthetically was super different from the rest of the maps too, because the darkness made you stay more on your toes when traveling the flanking path in case someone was a RAAM hiding in the shadows. This shouldn't be as much of an issue now that every weapon glows.

Plus, who didn't get a kick out of someone going to pick up torque and you shoot out the light so the Kryll maul them and they die? B.Marsh is a great map that keeps battles flowing, and I hope this remains true in Gears 3.

zlatko

Banned
ViewtifulJC said:
I'm just glad we glow more now. So we don't get shit like this happening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bgMOKWRar4

They find him though. They just missed him on the first pass by.

Those guys are just dumb.

That video totally nostalgia tripped me though. I can't wait for next gen for Gears of War 1 HD collection with it being 1080P 60 FPS on dedicated servers. A man can dream anyway. :p

Apdiddy

I don't know if this is a bug people are encountering on Horde mode or it's already been mentioned, but on Thrashball map near visitors side, when a Headsnake gets near the opening on the right side, it gets stuck. It can't be killed but it won't attack either. Just a heads up for anyone encountering it.

DoomGyver

All of the character models glow now so bullet marsh will be a lot more fun, I just wish we could manipulate the krill and lights more.

A map idea I thought of would be based off of Gears 1 where you had to split up, one person controlled the spotlight while the other person made it to the switch to turn on the street lights. I would like to see that in a map, where you could cut off certain passages and turn on other passages. The map would be a square block, with two adjoining houses in the middle. When you spawned you would have to option of taking the street left or right and taking the middle navigating through the houses (simple one or two room homes) Include a few propane tanks for light (and/or blowing your opponent up).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lima said:
So my setup right now is like this. 4 360's with 4 copies of Gears. 4 gold accounts with 4 guests signed in.

Shit is crazy. Too many controllers for me to handle lol.

But already got my pyro onyx medal. Now working on the heavy weapon one. This is awesome!
1613.jpeg

zlatko

Banned
Full Recovery said:
All of the character models glow now so bullet marsh will be a lot more fun, I just wish we could manipulate the krill and lights more.

A map idea I thought of would be based off of Gears 1 where you had to split up, one person controlled the spotlight while the other person made it to the switch to turn on the street lights. I would like to see that in a map, where you could cut off certain passages and turn on other passages. The map would be a square block, with two adjoining houses in the middle. When you spawned you would have to option of taking the street left or right and taking the middle navigating through the houses (simple one or two room homes) Include a few propane tanks for light (and/or blowing your opponent up).

So Garden, but with lights and kryll? I'm down.

overcast

Going through SP right now, about 3 chapters into Act 4. Just passed
the Ice T part lol.
Game is so fucking fun. Have yet to jump into online.

Dom :[

Kajiba

Haven't played in like 2 days. Can't wait to get home today and play this.

Oh yeah beat the game on insane. Ending was hard as hell lol. Took like an hour for me to beat it.

unomas

Banned
Played Alpha for about 5 hours in the last 3 days and I'm just not liking it anymore. I was craving my SOS and Retro combo badly, also it's hilarious to watch Gnasher battles where half the shots taken are beyond terrible misses. I thought I'd like Alpha more as I grinded out Seriously on Gears 1, but surprisingly I'm a convert to the Gears 3 style gameplay online, and I never thought I would say that. I guess I just feel less ripped off when I die by SOS compared to random Gnasher hip fire. Now if I'd just get back to beating that campaign on Insane.....

unomas

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Stopped reading after that.

12,000+ kills on Gears 1 in Warzone, but for some reason that Gnasher/Lancer gameplay just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I like the weapon variety you see in the non Alpah playlist better for TDM. The numbers don't lie either, a couple thousand people playing Alpha at best for the most part. I also like the 5 v 5 much better, a faster pace.

Willeth

Apdiddy said:
I don't know if this is a bug people are encountering on Horde mode or it's already been mentioned, but on Thrashball map near visitors side, when a Headsnake gets near the opening on the right side, it gets stuck. It can't be killed but it won't attack either. Just a heads up for anyone encountering it.
It can probably be killed with a well-placed grenade. Some enemies just don't work sometimes - I've had a Beast Rider get stuck behind a boulder on Overpass after being knocked off, and a Serapede just fold up against the back wall of the same map and basically knot itself so it couldn't move.

mickcenary said:
Wait... Opposite Day?

It's funny how one of those SOS lovers was saying that even if we got Alpha, we would still bitch and whine about the POS. Look what's happening instead lol.

Maybe they'll now ask for an SOS only playlist ;)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
unomas said:
also it's hilarious to watch Gnasher battles where half the shots taken are beyond terrible misses.
Smh. What this shows is that the Gnasher actually takes precision to hit with consistently. Whereas with the SOS, if the person is in your peripheral, free gib, run away.

X-Frame

Stat Flow said:
Smh. What this shows is that the Gnasher actually takes precision to hit with consistently. Whereas with the SOS, if the person is in your peripheral, free gib, run away.
Haha. Smh indeed.

Kydd BlaZe

unomas said:
Played Alpha for about 5 hours in the last 3 days and I'm just not liking it anymore. I was craving my SOS and Retro combo badly, also it's hilarious to watch Gnasher battles where half the shots taken are beyond terrible misses. I thought I'd like Alpha more as I grinded out Seriously on Gears 1, but surprisingly I'm a convert to the Gears 3 style gameplay online, and I never thought I would say that. I guess I just feel less ripped off when I die by SOS compared to random Gnasher hip fire. Now if I'd just get back to beating that campaign on Insane.....
Herpa derpa derppppp...

I'm really hyped for Raam's Shadow. I should try to beat Insane first as preparation.

Anyone know if we can dive right into Insane on the Raam DLC if we unlocked it in campaign?

Seth Balmore said:
Caved in. Bought Season Pass. Hope I don't regret this in the long run...

I think you wont regret it. For me, i plan on playing this game until the next gears hits. As for getting the maps in Horde/Beast it seems like nine times out of ten you will have the chance to pick those maps in public. So its not like there going to waste.

I had over 2500MSP just sitting on my account for over a year. I hardly buy DLC or xbla games so it was a no brainer for me.

_dementia said:
I'm really hyped for Raam's Shadow. I should try to beat Insane first as preparation.

Anyone know if we can dive right into Insane on the Raam DLC if we unlocked it in campaign?

I would think Insane would be available if you beat the campaign already. I fairly sure that's how the "Dark Corners" DLC worked. I'm really hyped it's 3+ hours long

I also need to get Insane finished, I think I'm up to Act 2 Chapter 4 Trench Run

Montresor

I loooove the Season Pass and I love the horde DLC. The only thing that kind of irks me is that freeloaders, when they get lucky, are able to play horde on the new the maps for free, hahah... I.E. if they get paired up in horde matchmaking with a DLC-paying host, they play the maps for free. I get that it's better if the community isn't fractured, but at the same time I'd feel there was so much more value to the season pass if you were completely locked out of playing the new horde maps unless you bought the DLC.

Heh, on public horde, whenever I play on Azura/Blood Drive/Rustlung and I see a Big Rig Dizzy or Onyx Guard tearing shit up, I think... godspeed good sir, you paid for this and you deserve it (you can only use the new characters if you bought the DLC).

Either way, Blood Drive is such a godlike horde map. I'm gonna spend the whole day aching to come back home and play Blood Drive.

On Friday a guy on my team got a Quintuple Kill off a single frag grenade in KotH. Wiped out the entire enemy team by chucking it into the hill at the base of the stairs on Overpass.

I said DAMN. We still lost. :(

smilebig1337

Neo Member
I didn't say that I was good, and I did not post this to show skill. If you watch my other videos I say that I am an average player. I just posted it because it is out of the ordinary. No need to be mean about it.

Also, there was only one "stolen kill," and the guy who downed him was dead already. Would you suggest that I let him get up instead of kill him?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
smilebig1337 said:
I didn't say that I was good, and I did not post this to show skill. If you watch my other videos I say that I am an average player. I just posted it because it is out of the ordinary. No need to be mean about it.

Also, there was only one "stolen kill," and the guy who downed him was dead already. Would you suggest that I let him get up instead of kill him?

It's really not that out of the ordinary and TBH the reaction you got is what I expected. Next time post something that shows skill or be prepared to be made fun of again.

In a game like Gears make sure shit you're gonna post (videos) is good, because those of us who are good are gonna pick it/you apart.

smilebig1337

Neo Member
Alienshogun said:
It's really not that out of the ordinary and TBH the reaction you got is what I expected. Next time post something that shows skill or be prepared to be made fun of again.

In a game like Gears make sure shit you're gonna post (videos) is good, because those of us who are good are gonna pick it/you apart.

I get that, and I know what it's like to see an average player act like they did something exceptional when it is quite mediocre. I see that with Halo all the time, as I am much better at Halo than I am at Gears. Regardless, there's no need to be a dick about it, and that is all I was trying to say. Something like your comment is much more acceptable and useful because it doesn't put me down, and it sets a bar for me to strive towards. Sarcasm never helped anyone.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
smilebig1337 said:
I get that, and I know what it's like to see an average player act like they did something exceptional when it is quite mediocre. I see that with Halo all the time, as I am much better at Halo than I am at Gears. Regardless, there's no need to be a dick about it, and that is all I was trying to say. Something like your comment is much more acceptable and useful because it doesn't put me down, and it sets a bar for me to strive towards. Sarcasm never helped anyone.

Yeah, well, this is the internet. You're gonna have to have thick skin my friend. That said, at least when people act that way towards you, you know who to ignore.

Hey i noticed that now water is now more interactable. Before most water didnt move like in thrashball. But just now water moves when you walk in it. Very cool.

Anilusion

Isn't the Chrome Retro Lancer supposed to unlock when you have the Domination achievement in Gears of War 1? Because I do, but I don't have the skin.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Anilusion said:
Isn't the Chrome Retro Lancer supposed to unlock when you have the Domination achievement in Gears of War 1? Because I do, but I don't have the skin.

Some people have had problems with this Achievement and I think it might be fixed in the upcoming TU - is your Achievement time-stamped?

Anilusion

Skilotonn said:
Some people have had problems with this Achievement and I think it might be fixed in the upcoming TU - is your Achievement time-stamped?

no, it's not. I have the golden retro so it's not that I'd use it, but I still thought it was weird.

Montresor

Anilusion said:
no, it's not. I have the golden retro so it's not that I'd use it, but I still thought it was weird.

This probably won't help, but I might as well say it anyway. A couple of weeks ago, after having played Gears of War 3 for quite a bit and seeing the un-acquired Chrome Lancer gnawing at my soul from the War Journal, I loaded up Gears 1 and (with help) got the Don't Hate The Player (DHTP) achievement.

The War Journal says the Chrome Lancer unlocks if you've earned the DHTP achievement from Gears 1. But afterwards, when I loaded up Gears 3, it didn't unlock for me. I could not use the Chrome Lancer. It didn't unlock until the next day. After pushing start to go the main menu, a message popped up on the bottom-right-hand corner telling me I unlocked the Chrome Lancer.

Tomorrow me and my friend are probably going to do horde 1-50 with onyx guards on blood drive since we havent beat it before, anyone want to tag along for the ride?

giancarlo123x said:
Tomorrow me and my friend are probably going to do horde 1-50 with onyx guards on blood drive since we havent beat it before, anyone want to tag along for the ride?
What time tomorrow? I'm looking for people to play horde mode with too.

Montresor

Lingitiz said:
Anyone else find themselves mostly playing horde or beast? I seriously can't stand playing versus without a team.

Well I stopped playing beast after I got a bunch of gold medals. I want to save those for when the inevitable beast pack comes out.

However, I am playing LOTS of horde, and loving it, especially on Blood Drive. I'm only 70k away from unlocking Command Center fortifications (currently at level 7 turrets)... but I'm still really far away from unlocking Silverback rockets (I'm at level 2, and still need to spend 270k to get to level 3).

Lingitiz

Montresor said:
Well I stopped playing beast after I got a bunch of gold medals. I want to save those for when the inevitable beast pack comes out.

However, I am playing LOTS of horde, and loving it, especially on Blood Drive. I'm only 70k away from unlocking Command Center fortifications (currently at level 7 turrets)... but I'm still really far away from unlocking Silverback rockets (I'm at level 2, and still need to spend 270k to get to level 3).
Yeah horde is really addicting with the persistent upgrades, and its alot more exciting for me than Gears 2's thanks to the boss characters. Beast gets old pretty quick because the games only last about half an hr. I pretty much have decided to only play versus when I have a party, because it seems like I tend to always get matched up against parties of 5. Gears does coop better than anyone.

abracadaver

I dont know why but the lighting in Blood Drive is amazing. It looks much better then on the other maps. When you shoot the flamethrower for example it seems to really glow. We had a lambent berserker on blood drive yesterday and when it leaked imulsion it looked outstanding.

I still need to unlock Savage theron guard and get an onyx medal from playing beast on insane. Last week we were close in beating beast on insane, but we messed up and cost us of getting the character and the onyx medal. Does anyone want to help me attempt beast on insane?

alexel

ViewtifulJC said:
Bots, stolen kills, you can try out for the TRUx Clan, 2/10

Wait, post a video of you turbo controller hammerbursting people first. That's pre-requisite #2 when trying out for TRUx.

Montresor

DarkBurialX said:
I still need to unlock Savage theron guard and get an onyx medal from playing beast on insane. Last week we were close in beating beast on insane, but we messed up and cost us of getting the character and the onyx medal. Does anyone want to help me attempt beast on insane?

You're already on my friends list... hit me up if you see me online. I will be working towards turrets and silverbacks, but I'll glady help you out on beast. We would need at least a group of four though, I would think.

Montresor said:
You're already on my friends list... hit me up if you see me online. I will be working towards turrets and silverbacks, but I'll glady help you out on beast. We would need at least a group of four though, I would think.

Sure, I'm going to play gears 3 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom