• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

2San

TRios Zen said:
I agree with this statement.

That means the skill level on Gears 3 will increase, as the heard get's thinned out, no?
Alpha has a pretty good skill level as is. It definitely has better teams.

Lothars

X-Frame said:
Excuse to permanently demote the SOS to a pick-up only now right?

Nobody would care ..
I would be pissed and not because I use it but because I think it would make the game worst if they did.

TP17

Completed the campaign tonight, really enjoyed it.
Although, Dom D:, I'd read somewhere that Baird died lol so I was not expecting it.
I loved the first gears, didn't get into the second as much but this one was right back to its best in my eyes. Already had a play around with Beast mode online and completed the 12 waves (no idea what difficulty it was on, if it's even changeable) and have reached as far as 20 before wiping on the boss level of Hoarde - really enjoyed both modes so the game still has a lot of life left in it for me.

Not sure if I will replay on insane, I did on the first but not the second. We'll see.

dankir

Anybody with the Horde DLC want to do the Like a boss achievement with me? Or hosting a private horde / beast match?

Add me on live: D O N K E R

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
nobody is playing this on my friends list :(

MW3 is unstoppable. I think I'm going to buy it just so I can play with everyone else.

zlatko

Banned
D4Danger said:

MW3 is unstoppable. I think I'm going to buy it just so I can play with everyone else.

If you like CoD4, and parts of MW2, then you won't regret it. Gears is for when you want to think, and CoD is more for when you just want to fuck shit up even with friends who are bad at games.

Both are fun at different times, and the best part right now is that MW3(to me at this juncture) is the best CoD since MW1.

2San

Had some good games today. Only thing that annoyed me is that if we aren't playing Alpha there's no challenge whatsoever. We played the normal modes, because we where with 5 people. I still don't understand the whole dislike for 5 players comes from next to the
"something something tradition something something". Honestly it's not like it somehow becomes less strategic.

I'm buying MW3 tommorow, I really don't want to, but playing a good multiplayer game with friends is better than playing a great multiplayer game alone. Pretty sure we'll still make time for Gears though.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:
If you like CoD4, and parts of MW2, then you won't regret it. Gears is for when you want to think, and CoD is more for when you just want to fuck shit up even with friends who are bad at games.

Both are fun at different times, and the best part right now is that MW3(to me at this juncture) is the best CoD since MW1.

sounds good. I mostly just play whatever game everyone else is playing now.

I'm 95 in Gears 3 so I might spend the week getting to 100 and then pick up MW3 on the weekend.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gears actually made me WORSE at COD. I used to be a fucking monster, now I'm having to get back into the swing of things. It's crazy.

zlatko

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Gears actually made me WORSE at COD. I used to be a fucking monster, now I'm having to get back into the swing of things. It's crazy.

I blame my being away from the series for so long. I'm working off the rust. I'm still under 2.0 in CoD, but I feel more map knowledge and finding "the gun" for me will swing things back into my favor.

MjFrancis

zlatko said:

Well let me put on my philosopher's hat and wax poetic, Gears is a thinking man's game now, lol. I have an idea of what you are saying, but still. Are other shooters really that shallow? I haven't played a FPS competitively online in years. Only dabbled in CoD: Modern Warfare 1+2 online (played both campaigns). Never grabbed me.

Since the exodus is apparently very real, I'm glad I got my 4-player campaign co-op in. Haven't got any Onyx Beast medals yet, though.

MjFrancis said:
Well let me put on my philosopher's hat and wax poetic, Gears is a thinking man's game now, lol. I have an idea of what you are saying, but still. Are other shooters really that shallow? I haven't played a FPS competitively online in years. Only dabbled in CoD: Modern Warfare 1+2 online (played both campaigns). Never grabbed me.

Since the exodus is apparently very real, I'm glad I got my 4-player campaign co-op in. Haven't got any Onyx Beast medals yet, though.

It definitely is a "thinking man's shooter" when compared to most MP shooters. It's far more cerebral and you really have to know your weapons and the cover mechanic inside out when up against good players

Conversely, in a game such as MW3, it really isn't all that fanciful to allege that it pretty much boils down to 'whoever spots and shoots first wins', regardless of the weapon you're holding (unless it's a shotgun).

It's kinda fucking boring and aggravating.

"Come at me, MW3 fanboys", said the GoW3 fanboy.

An-Det

Holy shit, fuck Myrrah. I got so close to beating her a few times only for my retarded AI teammates to not revive me in time. It wasnt too bad until the lats segment where it goes through 2 cycles without the checkpoint while ramping up the enemies. Finally got it though. Other than that the game was pretty easy on Hardcore, although I did know what do expect and do from my casual playthrough. So fucking awesome though.

Cant wait to do it on insane coop with my friend, and to really dig into the multiplayer now.

Montresor

Huge thanks to Agnibeena and xAYSxTheDude for helping me unlock the Command Center and the Silverback rockets on horde. Levelling up the Command Center to level 4 seems like it will be really easy.

But god dammit getting 500 rocket kills is going to take so long! What is the best map for this?

Montresor said:
Huge thanks to Agnibeena and xAYSxTheDude for helping me unlock the Command Center and the Silverback rockets on horde. Levelling up the Command Center to level 4 seems like it will be really easy.

But god dammit getting 500 rocket kills is going to take so long! What is the best map for this?

Overpass. You can do it in single play Horde, see my post a couple pages back.

Montresor

adversesolutions said:
Overpass. You can do it in single play Horde, see my post a couple pages back.

Thanks, checked it out again.

It took you till wave 32. Dammit. =p I'm so close to 1150'ing the game. I want to do this badly so I can move to Arkham City.

malfcn

DarkBurialX said:
I forgot to ask, how long does it take to do this process?

Do it with a second 'troller (moar onyx). I was leveling every 10-20 minutes. Didn't keep track, but around 5-6 hours? The key is having a few mutators, and getting a nice high score during your run. Then rinse and repeat. There are a few Youtube videos.

malfcn said:
Do it with a second 'troller (moar onyx). I was leveling every 10-20 minutes. Didn't keep track, but around 5-6 hours? The key is having a few mutators, and getting a nice high score during your run. Then rinse and repeat. There are a few Youtube videos.

Can you link me the videos?

malfcn said:

Thanks, now I get the picture. I wonder how long will it take me from lvl 65 to 100? Probably take me a week I guess because I play between 2-3 hours. Since MW3 came out, I started playing campaign. I don't know how long the campaign is but I hope I finish it on time or maybe take a break and go back to gears 3 for the double xp.

I'm really starting to think epic doesn't use dedi's for QM KOTH.

Well anyways I'll be at 100 soon (95 atm) so maybe I'll give the game a break once I get there.

Raxus

-PXG- said:
I log on, with 27 friends online. Find out most are playing MW3

Fuck ya'll
I am still playing Horde.

Sadly I will probably move to Oblivion on Friday. But I will play with you if you have some time on Thursday.

Teknoman

D4Danger said:

ViewtifulJC said:
*Sees Gears 3 friends invite to party*

*join party, see every single one is playing MW3*

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Honestly I think im going to stick with Gears/Halo and Uncharted/Killzone as my console MP shooters. rented MW3 and i'm not really feeling its fast paced quick kill style of play. Then again, I think I fell off the CoD boat after MW2.

Lima

ResidentDante said:
Any way of seeing how many hours I have clocked up playing Gears 3? Can't find it in the stats!

Are you a xbox live rewards member? Cause you could find it in the stats there.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Gears 3 will continue to stay as my only shooter - every time I get the itch to buy MW3, I think back on how fucking pissed off I would get with getting the jump on someone only to die and see in the killcam he had a whole second on me in actuality, hit detection, horrendous spawns, etc. - and not to mention things that are fundamentally part of COD like the flashbangs and one-hit kill knives even if you get a hit marker on them. Oh, and the camping of course. Can't ever forget that.

Only game I can think of where I can go 20 and 3 in a round and still be mad because the three times I died were because of BS.

We were mad about Gears 2's horrible connections, Epic stepped it up like bosses and added dedicated servers, and every match has been lag-free for me and my friends. For just that alone I'm more than grateful. MW3 didn't bring that, so I skipped out. Was I mad about the DLC stuff in the beginning? For a few minutes yeah, till I realized that the game was packed with content regardless, and I didn't have a need for any of the weapon skin packs because I enjoyed the ones I unlocked and got for free even more, especially the Liquid Green Metal which is all I use right now.

X-Frame

I can't count how many times I tried to spot people or hold the LB to see the Tac/Com in MW3 yesterday. I wasted a lot of flash grenades.

mernst23

Those silverback rockets are decimating. I unlocked lvl 3 two nights ago and last night got the 500 rocket kills in a 36 wave public game on rustlung (382 rocket kills) and a 25 wave game on trenches I got the rest. I'm only like a quarter way to level 4.

I'm like 20k away from getting turret level 7 and finally getting the command center.

Lima said:
Are you a xbox live rewards member? Cause you could find it in the stats there.
Alienshogun said:
get raptr, it tracks your game time.
Thanks for the tips. I don't use any of these though, I was hoping there was an ingame counter since they have so many stats on everything else!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Had another great Alpha session of about 12 straight matches with two friends last night. That's what it's about. Now I wish they would push up the date for these new maps.

MjFrancis

adversesolutions said:
Anybody down for Friday evening PST, 7 p.m.?

I'm in Japan so it's Saturday morning for me. Get 5 folks together and get everybody those cheevos.
I'm probably down for that. Add Sage MjFrancis on XBL and hopefully I can kick in. I'll know for certain later, just have to make sure I don't have plans.

I bought the Season Pass and I've barely even used any of the DLC... I don't play Horde much though I play Beast pretty consistently.

Montresor

mernst23 said:
Those silverback rockets are decimating. I unlocked lvl 3 two nights ago and last night got the 500 rocket kills in a 36 wave public game on rustlung (382 rocket kills) and a 25 wave game on trenches I got the rest. I'm only like a quarter way to level 4.

I'm like 20k away from getting turret level 7 and finally getting the command center.

You need turrets at level 8 to get the command center unlocked. =D

Ballistik

ResidentDante said:
Thanks for the tips. I don't use any of these though, I was hoping there was an ingame counter since they have so many stats on everything else!
They had game time in the online Gears 2 stats. Maybe they'll add it to the "War Journal" Gears 3 stats.. Eventually

TRios Zen

_dementia said:
Same here.

What's the best way to boost money in Horde?

I don't typically boost in games (not judging!), but yeah, easy cash in horde would be nice.

I split my time between Arcade, Horde, MP, and now U3 and MW3. With a wife, a boy and a new one on the way, I don't have time to play any of them as much as I want, much less ALL of them. *edit: Skyrim on Friday too - fuck me*

Still would like a better silverback and command center though! HAHA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom