• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

WJD

Thank god for that, cheers! This is some of the slickest multiplayer I've ever played besides that small snag, so that's made me pretty happy.

BrokenBox

Alright, I can't stand losing with a team of randoms anymore because the few Gears friends I have are playing MW3. If anyone wants to play sometime, please add me.

GT: ColdSystem

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Stat Flow said:
Retro Sawed Off
? Jesus christ, I hope they add it to non-Alpha Playlists for maximum trolling.
I'm fairly sure you've got it twisted. I hope they add it to Alpha playlists for maximum trolling.

DarkBurialX said:
Are you going to play beast on insane today?

Won't have time unfortunately. Could maybe do tomorrow at 10 PST or something if enough people are interested.

Still need 2 people for the DLC cheevos in 3 hours. Holler at me if interested

adversesolutions said:
Won't have time unfortunately. Could maybe do tomorrow at 10 PST or something if enough people are interested.

Still need 2 people for the DLC cheevos in 3 hours. Holler at me if interested

Sorry man, I don't have the DLC.

razu

One Shot, One Kill. Literally. I joined a game in progress, I walked around, saw my first opponent, roughly aimed and shot. Headshot! End of match! Winner!

I spent the rest of the evening playing Alpha. Love it. 4v4 makes such a difference. I played KOTH for a bit, then tried to get Warzone, but settled for Execution. Great games. But, it's not as good as Gears 1 was.

Might try a bit of actual Gears 1 tomorrow. If there are enough people playing, I might not come back. Maps are better and you can pick what you want to play. With the amount of people complaining about servers, SOS - which I didn't see all night - and maps, you'd think they'd all have dropped back to Gears 1. We shall see...

If anyone from Epic is reading this, Alpha is great, but not being able to choose a game mode is shit. Let us pick the mode, map... and NUMBER OF ROUNDS. 19 round matches, yes please. We aren't the mainstream, we'll sit in a lobby to get a good game. Let us have all the control over games that we had in 1, and let us filter the games before we join. If morons choose the default matchmaking, they'll find our games. What's the problem? They'll never start a game themselves, so they won't be sat waiting, complaining to their friends. I guess mainly because they've gone on to MW3 anyhow. Hardcore patch please. Hosting control, joining control, plus matchmaking as default, and all the old maps. Happy days.

MjFrancis

Wasn't able to add you as a friend on XBL adversity, but I wasn't able to find more people, either. I'll be on playing Beast in the meantime.

MjFrancis said:
Wasn't able to add you as a friend on XBL adversity, but I wasn't able to find more people, either. I'll be on playing Beast in the meantime.

Ok, I recruited another dude from X360 achievements. We've got 4, anybody up to be number 5?

One Shot, One Kill is my kind of weekend play list!

Also, I know I've asked before, but I need some people to help me finish the game on Insane. I just need the final boss. If anyone is willing to help this weekend please send me a PM.

Infamous Chris said:
Okay guys, I missed out on all the events so far. Did I miss any one time exclusive things such as medals for say, Halloween? Not worried about Socialite, yet.

Also, what's the fastest way to boost fortifications in Horde?

Anyone?

Montresor

Infamous Chris said:

Regarding events, you didn't miss anything other than a couple of ticks towards your Socialite achievement.

Regarding Horde: Before I tell you my setup, it's good to know the following: The fortification level bar will not always increase by the exact same amount as the money you spend. On Casual horde, only 60% of the money you spend will go towards levelling up fortifications. For example, if you spend $1000 on turrets in casual horde, your turrets level bar will only go up by $600. Here's the breakdown per difficulty:

Casual: 60%
Normal: 80%
Hardcore: 100%
Insane: 120%

Mutators will add or subtract from the above percentages. Neutral mutators (or fun mutators) add or subtract nothing. For example, adding the Laugh Track mutator won't affect the above percentages, because it's a fun mutator. Easy mutators (like super reload and infinite ammo) subtract 25% each from the above numbers. All hard mutators (like enemy regeneration and no ammo pickups) add 10% to the above percentages, since they make horde harder (the one exception is friendly fire, which only adds 5%).

I liked the following set-up:

Map: Blood Drive
Difficulty: Hardcore (100% of money spent goes towards levelling fortifications)
Easy Mutator: Super Reload (-25%)
Hard Mutators: Enemy Regeneration (+10%) and Must Active Reload (+10%)

If I'm playing alone, I would play until wave 9. Once I reached wave 9, I'd kill everyone except for the last enemy, then die, and restart wave 9. You earn a ton of money that way. The reason I don't touch wave 10 when I'm by myself is because the Enemy Regeneration mutator makes fighting berserkers REALLY hard (as their health keeps getting replenished over time). The key to any horde grinding is Super Reload though - this mutator gives you a doubled clip size and mega damage for half of that clip whenever you hit a perfect active reload.

But playing the above setup with one or two other members is SO good. You blow by the waves and earn so much money without having to purposely fail wave 9.

MjFrancis

adversesolutions said:
Props to MJFrancis man, we got that shit despite douchebaggery! lol
Gotta run but very appreciated.

Cross-cultural achievement whoring for the win!!
Gotta love it, man, just glad that we could all help each other out in the end.

Thanks again!

Apoc87

Banned
I haven't been able to play gears 3 for a while because I have been occupied with mw3. So I've missed a couple special gears events. Will I still be able to max out the war supporter metal if I play every special event from now on? How many special events does it require to max out the metal?

Medal*

Montresor said:
Regarding events, you didn't miss anything other than a couple of ticks towards your Socialite achievement.

Regarding Horde: Before I tell you my setup, it's good to know the following: The fortification level bar will not always increase by the exact same amount as the money you spend. On Casual horde, only 60% of the money you spend will go towards levelling up fortifications. For example, if you spend $1000 on turrets in casual horde, your turrets level bar will only go up by $600. Here's the breakdown per difficulty:

Casual: 60%
Normal: 80%
Hardcore: 100%
Insane: 120%

Mutators will add or subtract from the above percentages. Neutral mutators (or fun mutators) add or subtract nothing. For example, adding the Laugh Track mutator won't affect the above percentages, because it's a fun mutator. Easy mutators (like super reload and infinite ammo) subtract 25% each from the above numbers. All hard mutators (like enemy regeneration and no ammo pickups) add 10% to the above percentages, since they make horde harder (the one exception is friendly fire, which only adds 5%).

I liked the following set-up:

Map: Blood Drive
Difficulty: Hardcore (100% of money spent goes towards levelling fortifications)
Easy Mutator: Super Reload (-25%)
Hard Mutators: Enemy Regeneration (+10%) and Must Active Reload (+10%)

If I'm playing alone, I would play until wave 9. Once I reached wave 9, I'd kill everyone except for the last enemy, then die, and restart wave 9. You earn a ton of money that way. The reason I don't touch wave 10 when I'm by myself is because the Enemy Regeneration mutator makes fighting berserkers REALLY hard (as their health keeps getting replenished over time). The key to any horde grinding is Super Reload though - this mutator gives you a doubled clip size and mega damage for half of that clip whenever you hit a perfect active reload.

But playing the above setup with one or two other members is SO good. You blow by the waves and earn so much money without having to purposely fail wave 9.

Thanks so much for this. You are the man!

Anyone want to help me level up in Horde? I need turrets and decoys now (and eventually Silverback/Command Center). :(

GT is same as GAF nick.

Edit: Thanks, Unreal. It was fun and I'm closer to level 8 on turrets now.

Edit2: What happened to Infamous?

Ballistik

One shot playlist is so much fun.. Really makes me wish i had a high quality capture device to record all the crazy shots!

Best weekend playlist so far for me.

MercuryLS

Banned
So does the 4-player co-op campaign mode have matchmaking? I wasn't super impressed with the beta. But I'm willing to give this another chance. How are the dedicated servers? Gears 2 was a mess and left a really bad taste in my mouth, swore I wouldn't touch the series again. Convince me GAF!

BrokenBox

There is matchmaking for Campaign. I only used it once, and it's a little weird, but it does work.

People talk about the servers being down from time-to-time, but I've had such a better experience playing Gears 3 than with the past games. Everything is much smoother. So many times, especially in Gears 2, I felt I was fucked over by host/lag during a shotgun battle. Not anymore.

MercuryLS

Banned
BrokenBox said:
There is matchmaking for Campaign. I only used it once, and it's a little weird, but it does work.

People talk about the servers being down from time-to-time, but I've had such a better experience playing Gears 3 than with the past games. Everything is much smoother. So many times, especially in Gears 2, I felt I was fucked over by host/lag during a shotgun battle. Not anymore.

That's really good to hear, I guess I will have to pick this up sometime soon. Hopefully there will be a deal for it this holiday season.

I've been enjoying Beast a lot lately and against all odds (I kinda dismissed it as too easy and thus not so fun when the game launched). It's exciting when you manage to clear wave after wave under 1 minute so you know you have a chance to shoot for a time under 12 minutes. Most randoms are rubbish at getting good times and care way too much about their kills being stolen, but when you come across a team of competent dudes it's fun stuff.

Been having a blast with the Boomer getting Hail Marys left and right and also messing around in the final 2 waves with the smaller classes like Wretch and Ticker; they can be surprisingly effective if you team up with at least one Berserker.

On a different note, this game really needs the new maps to drop :( community interest is slowing down to an agonizing crawl. November's a tough month.

razu

My love for Gears1 maps cannot overcome:

lag, due to having to pick any old game as no-one is playing
host advantage - made worse by lag​

I guess I could host the exact game I want—mode, map and round count—and wait for players. But the host advantage I'd then have would make it feel cheap in comparison to playing Gears3.

So then, Gears3 it is. It feels so smooth, even on my 2Mb connection, (I guess my ping is okay). And you get into a game in seconds. I'll take this efficiency over the hassle of getting a Gears 1 game, and its general unfairness.

Had some great games today. Alpha is cool. The SOS reduction has brought back Gnasherfest. I approve of this. And it is a laugh picking the SOS up, especially as a second shotgun :)

I have a sickness though. Every time I pick up a heavy weapon I feel compelled to lug it halfway across the map, in an attempt to surprise the opposition by having it not near where it spawns. I don't recommend this course of action.

And for your records, none of my friends are playing Gears when I see them online. It's all MW3 or Skyrim.

zlatko

Banned
Alienshogun said:
So what actually happened to Chris?

GYMP1.jpg

J/K by the way, but that's probably how he(and most of GAF) is spending their time now. I'm curious what thread lead him to being banned. I know most of MarvelvsCapcom's biggest supporters and thread activists got banned just like 2 days ago for posting scanned pictures from the games guide. Not sure if Chris got caught up in that or if he's into MvC3. We need some detective GAF on the case.

Had a truly glorious game of TDM with randoms last night. Gridlock. Evenly matched teams. Went to a final round. I ended up going 28-7.

And most importantly, WE WON.

Felt grouse.

I really hope the numbers jump back up once the new maps hit. I'm only getting around 15-25 people at the best of times. Disappoint.

Stantron

Don't know if this is old or not but I just played a snipers game on gridlock and one guy was aiming through one of the pillars. You could see the end of the sniper rifle sticking out, which also protected him from return fire. Lame.

I have no interest on jumping on the COD or BF bandwagon, I will have Gears SP done this week and it will be become my MP game of choice. I hope the community is still strong because I really want to play some Horde/competitive and the campaign on the hardest setting

This has probably been asked way back when, and possibly answered in this very thread, but I've thought of a question and if I don't ask it now I'll only forget, and I'm at work so the majority of the internet is blocked (including the search function here, WTF!?!!).

The stuff that was unlocked by playing in the BETA. Will there be any other ways of unlocking it?

I managed to unlock one thing by playing in week 3, but that was all I managed to do and as such there's a few bits that it seems will forever elude me.

Just wanted to know if there's anything I can do to remedy it.

Been playing Gears 2 multiplayer virtually all week to help clear my last few achievements and finally got my wings last night/this morning. I just know that I'm gonna be next to useless when I get home from work due to lack of sleep, so thought I'd post while the brain is still... erm... something...

Monkeylord said:
The stuff that was unlocked by playing in the BETA. Will there be any other ways of unlocking it?

I managed to unlock one thing by playing in week 3, but that was all I managed to do and as such there's a few bits that it seems will forever elude me.

Well, time will tell as Epic tends to let everyone in on the fun eventually with things like these, but for now beta unlocks remain exclusive to those who got them in the beta.

Seth Balmore said:
Well, time will tell as Epic tends to let everyone in on the fun eventually with things like these, but for now beta unlocks remain exclusive to those who got them in the beta.

Hope you're right, although I've never seen a way to unlock the gold Lancer/Hammerburst in Gears 2 other than the pre-order codes (I was lucky and got a GL with my pre-order and a friend in the states gave me a spare GH code).

Monkeylord said:
Hope you're right, although I've never seen a way to unlock the gold Lancer/Hammerburst in Gears 2 other than the pre-order codes (I was lucky and got a GL with my pre-order and a friend in the states gave me a spare GH code).
Haha, well it's not like they flip the switch and activate the goodies for everyone, but some of Epic's staff members used to raffle a LOT of gold weapon codes (and other stuff, like map packs) on the official forums and over Twitter.

They've kept pretty quiet about Gears 3 stuff for now though, I've only seen them give away a Season Pass on Twitter and some liquid green weapon skins. I'm sure they'll start raffling stuff more frequently eventually...

my fucking 360 red ringed on me a week or so ago. :( been craving the mp and especially new maps to play on but my console just had to eat shit. miss playing with the crew.

mernst23

Got lvl 4 command center yesterday. Now I get to invest in my lvl 4 sentries lvl 5 decoy, and lvl 3 silverback. God i love horde more than versus, I never go into rage mode and it's pretty much always enjoyable except when half the team disconnects by wave 10.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Still sticking to and enjoying the lag-free Gears 3 - before I wouldn't, but since I've been reaching home late and have the itch to play MP, I jump into Quick Match TDM solo - it still surprises me how bad so many people are when you play solo, but I end up winning all of them anyways - pulled off a great 5 v 1 clutch on Sandbar when I joined in to win the second round when they were down by one and crushed them the next round to win. Felt great, and had me thinking that I hoped that the rest of the guys on the team watching from the death cam were taking notes.

Monkeylord said:
This has probably been asked way back when, and possibly answered in this very thread, but I've thought of a question and if I don't ask it now I'll only forget, and I'm at work so the majority of the internet is blocked (including the search function here, WTF!?!!).

They never gave the impression that they would, and I don't think they will either.

MikeDub said:
Why?! Why?! Is horde filled with morons?
Same with Beast. Four Kantus in a team of five, really?

Yeah, this thread's activity really went downhill fast. I hope it gets livelier once everyone has the first batch of new maps.

Seth Balmore said:
Same with Beast. Four Kantus in a team of five, really?

Yeah, this thread's activity really went downhill fast. I hope it gets livelier once everyone has the first batch of new maps.

Some people just make such bizarre decisions, why would you start defense anywhere other than inside on Hotel? Then you get people wandering off across the other side of the map and quit when no one comes to pick them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom