• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rifle playlist should stick around, dare I say it but Gears 3 is an infinitely better game without shotguns. So good.
I wouldn't say infinitely better, because shotguns do have their place in combat (just not in the overpowered-out-of-obligation form currently), and still should be part of the toolset, but it definitely feels better.

EliCash

Ok, not infinitely better, that was just hyperbole, I'm just saying it's refreshing (and less frustrating). We've had 3 Gears games of nothing but shotgun fights online, which is fun, but change is nice. The games were tighter and a lot closer, there's less "what the fuck!?", plus I like the idea of an open weapon space for pick ups. It was a slightly different experience and as a playlist, I think it should stick around - or at least pop up now and again. The new maps are great too.

Finished this last night, it was pretty wild. Messed about on the MP side and all my beta testing paid off!
Is it possible to change your region? Id rather be on the USA side as I just end up with people talking french on my side :(

doicare

WTF has happened to Gears with all these recent updates??! When i try to run, my character constantly keeps locking on to bits of scenery and getting caught on them instead of running past costing me kill after kill.

mernst23

I did manage to get Onyx 30 and my embry star last Friday which jumped me to level 97, finally moved onto Kill grinding. I'm averaging like 250 heavy weapon kills an hour but it's soooo boring. I need RAAM's shadow quick before I change my mind and put Gears away for a month or two.

Had some good games earlier, anyone use the the 2.2 glitch is it bannable ?

I don't see how the door thing is a glitch. If Epic changes it (by adding a checkpoint or taking the last one out of 2.2) the community will just find the next fastest checkpoint to do it with. It's an oversight.

Fry

Started the campaign yesterday, up to act 2-1 now. This game is absolutely amazing. The graphics and the amount of details are mind blowing.

Lima

On another note, just got prompted for an update download after launching the game. 3mb file. I wonder what it is?

It is just an internal Microsoft update. They disabled Anti-Piracy 2.5 protection with this title update. They are doing this with a bunch of titles to see if they can switch this on/off with title updates, probably to activate AP 2.5 on a couple of popular older titles.

So no new features.

Was up till 2am playing Horde, Level 40 was just insane and it was my first time playing so I had no idea what the fuck I was doing in regardes to structures and leveling up but the brumac spanked us three times then two berzerkers spanked us another three times and it was quiting time.

Monster one is pretty fun aswell but again no real clue with unclocking the higher tiers, boomers and the standard grunts are pretty powerful!

Monster one is pretty fun aswell but again no real clue with unclocking the higher tiers, boomers and the standard grunts are pretty powerful!
Yes, higher tier doesn't necessarily mean better, you gotta know when and how to use them.

Berserkers aren't all that great for getting kills, regrettably. The overhead smash move has a very annoying delay to it and what's worse, it doesn't have much range, so enemies can just roll or even walk back to evade it. What Berserkers do best is breaking shit: they can break ANY fortification, Silverbacks included, with one smash. They can also break most things just by running through them. Spawning a Berserker is ideal to break every barrier in the higher waves to let your teammates in quickly and with no hassle. That will give you a load of points and it'll significantly cut down your wave clear time.

Armored Kantus are great at offense thanks to high resistance to bullets and damage in general plus their quick movement. Dual wielded Gorgons will make heroes go down really quick at mid/short range. Since they don't have long annoying delays for melee moves you can beat down DBNO enemies quickly too. The roll attack is kinda gimmicky, I don't use it much but you can still score sweet multikills if many heroes are crawling around the same spot. As for the healing ability, it's okay for the higher waves where the heroes' damage output isn't as ridiculous, but it's a waste of time healing your mates in wave 12 since the Onyx Guards will make minced meat out of anything in sight.

The only top-tier beast I really suck with is the Savage Boomer. The Digger reload is much quicker than the Boomer's Boomshot, but I find its destructive power kinda lacking. I think it's the least useful of the top-tier beasts, but you can still score awesome multikills with it if you time your shots right. Personally I much prefer the regular Boomer.

For waves 10-12, a combination of a Berserker, a couple other top/high tier beasts and a couple Wretches is a killer. After the Berserker destroys all the barriers the Wretches can walk in like nobody's business and either pick off DBNO enemies or melee the others to death since they'll be mostly focusing fire on the Berserker. I consistently rake up loads of kills with a Wretch in wave 12 this way. :)

For the whole duration of the game in general, I find Wretches, Savage Drones, Boomers and Grenadiers to be the only TRULY useful types. You can dominate all waves with a Drone and make the most money consistently if you know how to bypass most barriers. There's a load of fluff monsters that are cool to play as but ultimately not too useful considering the price.

Phew, that was a long post. What can I say, I've found I enjoy Beast mode a lot more than I thought I would, haha.

I usually go Wretch-->Kantus-->Grenadier-->Zerker/ArmoredKantus

I personally like the Grenadiers because they can clean up so fast. This is also the one gametype you can go crazy with kill stealing because the main goal is to get the best time. There's nothing like a tossed nade into a crowd of downed onxy guards. Working with a boomer, kantus or another grenadier works the best.

Another way to get into the higher tiers quicker is to use a kantus if nobody else is. Spamming heal at the correct times and constantly throwing ink nades will get you top place on the leader board even if you don't kill any COG or fortifications.

So its just a matter of having X amount of cash to unlock them? I was using the tickers and drones for ages so thats probably why.
The 12th wave was funny as I boomed like 9 people to the ground then zerker ran by and squashed them all then it reversed and I blew up like 5 people :D

How do you chaneg the difficulty? I did a full run on normal, tried to find the option, gave up and went to horde.

So its just a matter of having X amount of cash to unlock them? I was using the tickers and drones for ages so thats probably why.
The 12th wave was funny as I boomed like 9 people to the ground then zerker ran by and squashed them all then it reversed and I blew up like 5 people :D

How do you chaneg the difficulty? I did a full run on normal, tried to find the option, gave up and went to horde.
Yeah, it's a matter of getting enough money to unlock the next tier of beasts. I recommend spamming Savage Drone and Kantus, they're the best to get the most cash in the early waves.

To change the difficulty, you go to Beast -> Private -> Difficulty.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Haven't played anything at all this last weekend on purpose because I was procrastinating too damn much, and now that I got a lot of things done I just turned my Xbox on and saw this week's event: Brothers to the End - 2 vs 2 Team Deathmatch. That's a brilliant idea I gotta say, and I think I'll dabble in it with a friend this weekend for sure.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Playing solo Team Deathmatch, and I'm convinced that Gears really is the hardest shooter to learn, because it still amazes me how terrible people can be in this game.

I've never had so many MVP medals on the losing team till tonight - whether I lost or not, I was MVP with a minimum K/D ratio of 3.0, so hilarious.

Good thing I don't care too much about my Quick Match TDM stats even though they're good - I go there for my Gears itch when friends are doing other things and I don't feel like waiting.

-PXG-

Beat Batman and Deus Ex. Back to Gears for me when I'm not grinding away at Dark Souls.

I've purchased an unhealthy amount of games on Steam. Kind of dumb since I work full-time now. I haven't touched Gears since I got my new PC. I will come back on the 13th to play RAAM's Shadow.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've purchased an unhealthy amount of games on Steam. Kind of dumb since I work full-time now. I haven't touched Gears since I got my new PC. I will come back on the 13th to play RAAM's Shadow.

That's understandable. TBH the joke I made earlier might be spot on (see you at gears 4) that new PC should keep you entertained for quite some time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Playing solo Team Deathmatch, and I'm convinced that Gears really is the hardest shooter to learn, because it still amazes me how terrible people can be in this game.

I've never had so many MVP medals on the losing team till tonight - whether I lost or not, I was MVP with a minimum K/D ratio of 3.0, so hilarious.

Good thing I don't care too much about my Quick Match TDM stats even though they're good - I go there for my Gears itch when friends are doing other things and I don't feel like waiting.
It's probably not the hardest shooter to learn, but the difficulty curve is deceptively steep. Especially since off the bat people don't understand the value of the shotguns and how you have to abuse them to your advantage. Oh and the fact that the game has a cover system, yet the cover system isn't always optimal to use to give you the most advantageous position vs. your opponent.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Oh and the fact that the game has a cover system, yet the cover system isn't always optimal to use to give you the most advantageous position vs. your opponent.
This is so true, and something that I don't even think about. Walls and pillars to bounce off of are generally much more important than actual pieces of cover, especially in CQC.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It's probably not the hardest shooter to learn, but the difficulty curve is deceptively steep. Especially since off the bat people don't understand the value of the shotguns and how you have to abuse them to your advantage. Oh and the fact that the game has a cover system, yet the cover system isn't always optimal to use to give you the most advantageous position vs. your opponent.

That among other things, but especially not putting basics to use like simply knowing when someone has the advantage on you and acknowledging it to back down. Or if someone is hiding in cover and they got you twice in a row the same way, try something else the third, fourth & fifth time, or if you're constantly dying by a certain power weapon, go to its spawn to ensure they don't ever get it again, if you can't handle someone solo, stick with someone else, etc.

You don't have to be the best, you don't even have to get over the steep curve, just use a little more tact when approaching fights - it really got to me when I was going 21 & 6 (with some kills stolen even) and watching our respawns getting eaten up by the same guy over & over going 4 & 15 and another going 4 & 10.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Servers definitely are not up. First half of the night went flawless, then came the shit games and the "host disconnect" to prove it.

Servers, where the FUNK art thou!? So. Annoying.

Also, as boring as Rustlung is to both play and look at - for the most part - the lighting on that map is insane.

Servers are still most definitely down... the only cool thing about playing on P2P is actually hearing the characters talk for once.

I thought I read somewhere that was a console memory issue btw, not a server one. Gears finally gets servers but they're totally gimped ones. *sigh*

JimiNutz

Banned
Servers are still most definitely down... the only cool thing about playing on P2P is actually hearing the characters talk for once.

I thought I read somewhere that was a console memory issue btw, not a server one. Gears finally gets servers but they're totally gimped ones. *sigh*

Wait, what?
My MP character speaks all the time! Does this mean you're playing P2P?

LosDaddie

Banned
So last night......Playing the last boss in campaign on Insane (with mutators), and nearly done with it.....and XBL disconnects Maddog & I for the new dashboard update. :|

DAMN IT

Wait, what?
My MP character speaks all the time! Does this mean you're playing P2P?
Well, not really. It's not like they are 100% silent when playing on servers, but they talk a lot more on P2P. Easiest way to know is that a random character will speak at the beginning of each round in P2P (just like in Gears 2), but that doesn't happen on a server.

Maddog

So last night......Playing the last boss in campaign on Insane (with mutators), and nearly done with it.....and XBL disconnects Maddog & I for the new dashboard update. :|

DAMN IT

This. This. This. It sucked. I can't make it tonight but perhaps tomorrow? Can anyone help us?

razu

Played this last night in a party with 4 others, didn't lose a game.

Also, why doesn't anyone play Warzone anymore? Just bots after bots.

This had been my experience. But the last couple of nights I've been in full games of Warzone from start to finish, (y'know, with the odd person dropping out between matches, but filling up before the end of the match).

And... Warzone *is* Gears for me. No respawns mean that you value your life. There's satisfaction to be had from making it to the end of the round. Also, for the most part, watching others play, (if you do die), is both interesting and entertaining.

I had been playing TDM just because you get to play against non-bot sides. But I think I'll at least give Warzone a go at the start of each session from now on. And I guess if we all did, we'd play more Warzone. Yay!

So yeah. Those are my thoughts right now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom