• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothars

The main reason I am excited for the DLC is being able to play as Kim in multiplayer but after seeing that trailer, it looks like a pretty cool campaign.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I want all that in the multiplayer. I don't even care how unbalanced it gets.

Bullet shields, retro sos, RAAM's big ass knife. all of it. get it in there.

2th

Banned
The main reason I am excited for the DLC is being able to play as Kim in multiplayer but after seeing that trailer, it looks like a pretty cool campaign.

I'm interested to see the campaign since it wasn't written by Karen Traviss and was written by some awesome people at Epic.

zlatko

Banned
So what's the verdict now for the new maps?

Do they show up often in matchmaking? How balanced do you feel they are? Worst map? Best map?

razu

So, I loaded Gears 3, and was greeted with "unseen" ribbons and things, the orange exclamation marks in circles. I like to clear them out, so I see what's actually new. But, these ones are days old now. The same ones, over and over again. So I decide to change some options in the hope of saving the state of these ribbons. So I change my default online characters...

Ooh, looky see! Bit expensive though...

elxFt.jpg

razu

Do they show up often in matchmaking? How balanced do you feel they are? Worst map? Best map?

I get them quite often in general play.

My best map(s): Blood Drive/Bullet Marsh.
My worst map: Rust Lung.​

But I've played them so few times compared to the others that it really is just a first impression kind of thing. They all "look" great.

Had some pretty good KOTH games with a friend just now. I sucked, but I think I'm getting better. :<

I'm so bad at CQC, given that I play Horde and Beast most of the time. :x

What is th epoint of the Brumak in horde? Just there to be a massive dick?

God I am awful at MP, Its so diffrent to one and even two it makes me rage unlike CoD or anything else atall really.
Like its almost as if I get downed from people just looking at me haha

2San

Yup, the worst map in the game.

Overpass is worse imo, but Sandbar is a close 2nd.

Yeah they show up often enough. I only play TDM or Execution though.
Best to Worst:
Clocktower - By far the best. I haven't played Gears 1 so this map was new for me. Nice CQC, boom feels too strong for this map though.
Blood Drive - it's not that good in TDM though, but I still enjoy it
RustLung - It's a decent map I guess, but never had a challenge on this map, so I don't know how this map would be against a good team. Really Easy to spawn trap
Azura - Pretty forgettable next to the nice scenery.
Bullet Marsh - I prefer using the gnasher so this map is kinda meh.

deviant1

Overpass is easily the worst map for any versus mode. If a team gets the top area, it's pretty much game over.

I wouldn't mind seeing Sandbar and Overpass removed from versus rotation and being Horde only maps.

Overpass is easily the worst map for any versus mode. If a team gets the top area, it's pretty much game over.

I wouldn't mind seeing Sandbar and Overpass removed from versus rotation and being Horde only maps.

yup, overpass and sandbar are not very good. It sure helped when Epic added the 5 extra maps and fixed the rotation bug.

The only way i can see overpass balanced out is to add an alternative route to the top or add some extra weapons down low. Maybe add a mortar in place of the shield, but then you have the problem of the stronger team taking the thing to the top. I personally thought the mortar was a better weapon to have at the back spawn and boomshot doesn't work that well when your trying to get splash damage off a pillar or trying to hit a player with a background of sky.

Lunchbox

Banned
both of those maps have only one top vantage point with only one way of reaching the top. one team gets there, its over. 2 way staircase or another way up from the side or even leaving them more exposed at the top would fix it

you dont even need to extensively test that, just PLAY it, once and you can see how broken it is. how does that make it into the game? cause epic doesnt play their games

their map designers are too busy playing modern warfare 3 like most of their depleting player base

2San

Sandbar is WAY more fundamentally broken than Overpass. It's like Overpass XL.
Dunno boom shot+sniper on Sandbar, at least gives you a fighting chance to regain top imo.

Overpass top control is pretty much game over.
both of those maps have only one top vantage point with only one way of reaching the top. one team gets there, its over. 2 way staircase or another way up from the side or even leaving them more exposed at the top would fix it

you dont even need to extensively test that, just PLAY it, once and you can see how broken it is. how does that make it into the game? cause epic doesnt play their games
All they need to do is port over old maps. Gears 1 + 2 have some really good maps, the only problem is that they might not be balanced for all gametypes. I want Ruins back, should be perfect for all game-types.

Anyone else receive a free copy of Gears 3 for being a member of Expert Zone?

Edit: I don't recall, but apparently I entered some sweepstakes and won this copy of Gears 3 :]

I'm at level 65 and I've just now started using ink grenades. I'd never really even contemplated them in my arsenal initially, but they're pretty lethal in the right circumstance. I'm usually very competent at blind/hip-throwing grenades, but for some reason, I keep on throwing them too close to myself. Idiotta!

And Sandbar >>>>> Overpass. It's far less prone to complete fuckery and domination. I mean, if I have to scramble for imperative cover as soon as I spawn, you know the map is shit. At least in Sandbar, I can run and flank and be somewhat forgotten.

I'm at level 65 and I've just now started using ink grenades. I'd never really even contemplated them in my arsenal initially, but they're pretty lethal in the right circumstance. I'm usually very competent at blind/hip-throwing grenades, but for some reason, I keep on throwing them too close to myself. Idiotta!

And Sandbar >>>>> Overpass. It's far less prone to complete fuckery and domination. I mean, if I have to scramble for imperative cover as soon as I spawn, you know the map is shit. At least in Sandbar, I can run and flank and be somewhat forgotten.

Is overpass the one with the raised section in a cross shape? I couldnt even leave the bloody spawn room on that one without dieing.

Anyone willing to help me finish the campaign on Insane? Need someone with the right mutators to host. Haven't had a ton of time to try but I want to get it done. Just need the final boss. Would like it to be on Arcade mode or whatever. My GT is RyoGCH. Shoot me a message on Live or here on GAF.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Fair enough. But Sandbar seems almost explicitly designed for Horde and then just shoved into Versus because they could. Overpass is like the worst multiplayer map experiment either. I mean, I can't even understand the rationale behind it. Even conceptually, the centre of the map sounds like a massive no-no when it comes to balancing encounters.

unomas

Banned
Fair enough. But Sandbar seems almost explicitly designed for Horde and then just shoved into Versus because they could. Overpass is like the worst multiplayer map experiment either. I mean, I can't even understand the rationale behind it. Even conceptually, the centre of the map sounds like a massive no-no when it comes to balancing encounters.

Just got done with Overpass against a bunch of lancering campers, all high ranked players above 80 each, what an utter disaster. This game is turning into camper central, not sure if I'm gonna go all the way to 100.

cresto

Tried to play with my friend a little bit ago and we could not join each others party or party chat. Anyone else having trouble? We tried joining games and following one another which didnt work either. Funny thing is that we ended up in the same server after giving up on trying to play gears together.

Dumb...

Whats up with this update to xbox live?

razu

Had some great games soloing with randoms last night.

I got the sweetest no scope kill with sniper on Gridlock. Warzone, last man standing... he was running in with a grenade, down by the blocks, I rolled back, quickly aimed the gun in his general direction, shot... headshot! Round won! Love it!!

In one TDM I got put on a side with 3 bots, vs a team with 1... We lost 5-1, but the round that we won was epic. I ended the match with 9-5 Kills-Deaths, which I was pretty happy with.

Balance isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Doing "better than terrible" when "terrible" is expected... is a kind of win in itself :)

I have a question. Does double KO mean that you're playing on a server? As in, you both shoot and you both die?

I have a question. Does double KO mean that you're playing on a server? As in, you both shoot and you both die?
Not necessarily, it happens in P2P too. A side effect of client side hit detection working properly.

Anyone tried this week's event? 2v2 TDM or Wingman for noobs as we're affectionately calling it.

after hording some points I bought the SEASON PASS however I am not seeing the extra character or the skin, is there a way to access it?

Appreciate the help...

LosDaddie

Banned
Gears-GAF: Let's play some Horde Mode tonight. Insane with mutators. Waves 1-50. Any of the new maps...

Around 10pm EST is when I should be free. Gotta do the family thing after work first.

Post here, or send me a FR on XBL if you want to join. I hope we can get at least 4 GAFers together.

GT: LosDaddie

EDIT: I'm cool with doing some MP, if no one wants to do Horde. TDM, KOTH, Warzone....whatevs. I just want to shot & chainsaw people. :)

Smack Fu

I wanted a couple new 360 controllers with the new D-PAD and all the store had at the time was the Gears 3 controllers, so I got 2 of them. I beat and returned GoW3 already (Gamefly) but they came with codes for weapon skins. Posting them here for anyone that wants them.

R63HY-FR4DV-MT8B8-VXJHF-Q4RRT
T787F-PB7HF-F2DWQ-HXJQ3-KF7PD

first come first serve, enjoy.

Nori Chan

I wanted a couple new 360 controllers with the new D-PAD and all the store had at the time was the Gears 3 controllers, so I got 2 of them. I beat and returned GoW3 already (Gamefly) but they came with codes for weapon skins. Posting them here for anyone that wants them.

R63HY-FR4DV-MT8B8-VXJHF-Q4RRT
T787F-PB7HF-F2DWQ-HXJQ3-KF7PD

first come first serve, enjoy.

damn you lurkers :mad:

Yeah, I really don't know how it was green-lit. What makes it even worse is that it's easily improved; have multiple walkways up to the top, rather than just one single bottle-neck; bring the mortar back so we can have at least one way to flush them out, etc, etc.

I honestly think that if you CTRL+C & V'd the stairs/walkway section to the opposite side and move the Boom/Torque to the centre of the high-ground, I'd be infinitely better - it'd basically be a different map, but it'd be better.

Hire me, Epic.

razu

Not necessarily, it happens in P2P too. A side effect of client side hit detection working properly.

Anyone tried this week's event? 2v2 TDM or Wingman for noobs as we're affectionately calling it.

Oh, okay. Just wondering as I'm in the UK and UK people are banging on about bad lag, but my games are fine. Either I'm tolerant of the P2P, or other people are getting routed all around the world. Not a stealth trumpet blowing, but I've worked on the network component of million+ selling games, in the 56k days, I'm a boy brought up in the 60fps arcade scene... and I think Gears3 is working perfectly okay.

I think a lot of it is down to people blaming the connection when they lose, but being happy when they win. Gears 1 was P2P and *most* games were perfectly playable. There was host advantage, but you kind of played for second place if you weren't host. If you were the best player and weren't host, that was even cooler.

If anyone from Epic is reading this, Mansion and Fuel Depot please, cheers!

And next game... as well as matchmaking... just let us host games 90s style, pick the mode and map.. it would cost fuck all to code up you fuckers. And reading all the shit about early Epic "ethos", level editors, community... well fuck me, we have zero control over *this game*. Let us play it the way we want to play it. We're not playing COD, we're not playing BF3. But, we're not playing Gears the way we want to play Gears. Gears should move to be a PC game that the community controls. That would make me buy a decent gaming PC.

Blah, blah, Sweeney, mobile phones, making money from lawn mowing... yeah, fuck that. We want hardcore Gears.

Give us Gears 1/3 on PC, configurable. Let *us* set up dedicated servers. Leave it to us. We'll take it from here... Unreal was shit, everything Epic has made, apart from Gears1/3, has been shit. Gears 1/3 was a fluke. They've fucked up supporting Gears3. You've got our money, just give it to us you fucking useless bastards!

2San

I think a lot of it is down to people blaming the connection when they lose, but being happy when they win. Gears 1 was P2P and *most* games were perfectly playable. There was host advantage, but you kind of played for second place if you weren't host. If you were the best player and weren't host, that was even cooler.
I don't know when I complain about lag I still win at the same rate. I notice lag the best when I'm playing well actually. It's pretty much;"WHAT BULLSHIT!!!!, wait wat? I'm alive and he's dead?" the whole match through. I only scream the first time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom