• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

Gears-GAF: Let's play some Horde Mode tonight. Insane with mutators. Waves 1-50. Any of the new maps...

Around 10pm EST is when I should be free. Gotta do the family thing after work first.

Post here, or send me a FR on XBL if you want to join. I hope we can get at least 4 GAFers together.

GT: LosDaddie

EDIT: I'm cool with doing some MP, if no one wants to do Horde. TDM, KOTH, Warzone....whatevs. I just want to shot & chainsaw people. :)

I'll be down for that. The only thing is I don't have any of the new maps unfortunately save for the free ones, but I'll still be down for anything.

EDIT: GT: Johan El Fuerte.

razu

I don't know when I complain about lag I still win at the same rate. I notice lag the best when I'm playing well actually. It's pretty much;"WHAT BULLSHIT!!!!, wait wat? I'm alive and he's dead?" the whole match through. I only scream the first time though.

I think, and I think you'd agree if you thought about it, people detect lag and change to their "lag tactics", at least subconsciously.

The whole whining about servers kills me. A dedicated server cannot defeat a bad ping. For a fair game you need 10 people with an equal connection to the server. What's the chances of that? And even if you have a good ping today, the internet isn't constant, tomorrow you may get routed differently to the server. Fuck knows what effect playing with people with worse pings to the server than you... does it fuck the whole game, or just theirs...?

2San

I think, and I think you'd agree if you thought about it, people detect lag and change to their "lag tactics", at least subconsciously.

The whole whining about servers kills me. A dedicated server cannot defeat a bad ping. For a fair game you need 10 people with an equal connection to the server. What's the chances of that? And even if you have a good ping today, the internet isn't constant, tomorrow you may get routed differently to the server. Fuck knows what effect playing with people with worse pings to the server than you... does it fuck the whole game, or just theirs...?
You are acting like the problem is with the players. While this might be true in some cases. It kinda rubs me the wrong way you are downplaying the problem. I only play ranked. I know when it's dedicated and my friends know this as well. I test my ping if lag all day with Gears, just to check if it isn't me. It's relatively simple. Some days the game is a dream and some days it isn't. I'm pretty sure it isn't me.

If others players lag it has an effect, but it's not that bad(unless they teleport all over the place, but have only seen that once or twice).

Unlike shooters like CoD or Halo. Gears is a significantly worse game with lag, hence people like to complain more about lag. When Gears lags it's really noticeable.

Still the lag has been good the last few days though.

Did they take out 2.2 bannable? If so, is there any other way to level up faster? I remember reading one of your posts saying the update might have took it out if I'm not mistaken.

razu

You are acting like the problem is with the players. While this might be true in some cases. It kinda rubs me the wrong way you are downplaying the problem. I only play ranked. I know when it's dedicated and my friends know this as well. I test my ping if lag all day with Gears, just to check if it isn't me. It's relatively simple. Some days the game is a dream and some days it isn't. I'm pretty sure it isn't me.

If others players lag it has an effect, but it's not that bad(unless they teleport all over the place, but have only seen that once or twice).

Unlike shooters like CoD or Halo. Gears is a significantly worse game with lag, hence people like to complain more about lag. When Gears lags it's really noticeable.

Still the lag has been good the last few days though.

I apologise if I've offended, I didn't mean to. I just feel that a lot of people expect too much from games that are played over the Internet, a network that wasn't exactly designed for this kind of thing.

With that in mind, how do you test your ping? I'm not trying to be clever, but, if it's not with the server you're playing on then it doesn't matter. The only things that count are your ping to the server, and the other 9 connected people's pings to the server. Or in the case of P2P, pings to the host. We can't measure that, and we can't control it. So, we live with laggy games from time to time. And the fact that people don't understand that, does my tits in from time to time...

I'm not trying to be smart and condescending, (I may be failing at this goal...) I'm just trying to set some kind of perspective... we're shooting each other with rifles while we're 1000s of miles apart!!

2San

With that in mind, how do you test your ping? I'm not trying to be clever, but, if it's not with the server you're playing on then it doesn't matter. The only things that count are your ping to the server, and the other 9 connected people's pings to the server. Or in the case of P2P, pings to the host. We can't measure that, and we can't control it. So, we live with laggy games from time to time. And the fact that people don't understand that, does my tits in from time to time...

I'm not trying to be smart and condescending, (I may be failing at this goal...) I'm just trying to set some kind of perspective... we're shooting each other with rifles while we're 1000s of miles apart!!
Well I test my ping with Pingtest(so I know it's not my isp not screwing up). I play ranked the server switches every time(sure it can be the same depending on luck). There have been days where lag has been persistent the whole day. That includes me lagging, but my whole team as well and we all live in different area's(still in the same country though). Sure we could be connected to servers outside our region, but that too would be a failing on Epic's part. When I complain about lag it isn't because of single game, it's because it's because of consistently getting laggy matches(unless one of us happens to get host).

A partly dedicated system is just odd, to say the least. The P2P experience simply isn't smooth enough. You can explain the lag all you want, but at the end of the day the lag is there(at times, dedi's seem to have good uptime these days) and people do have the right to complain about that. Of the online games I play, Gears is the only one where I have lag issue's(on certain days).

razu

Well I test my ping with Pingtest(so I know it's not my isp not screwing up). I play ranked the server switches every time(sure it can be the same depending on luck). There have been days where lag has been persistent the whole day. That includes me lagging, but my whole team as well and we all live in different area's(still in the same country though). Sure we could be connected to servers outside our region, but that too would be a failing on Epic's part. When I complain about lag it isn't because of single game, it's because it's because of consistently getting laggy matches(unless one of us happens to get host).

A partly dedicated system is just odd, to say the least. The P2P experience simply isn't smooth enough. You can explain the lag all you want, but at the end of the day the lag is there(at times, dedi's seem to have good uptime these days) and people do have the right to complain about that. Of the online games I play, Gears is the only one where I have lag issue's(on certain days).

Well you're aware of the ways of the internet, so that's cool with me. What gets me is the people who say they have XXMb connection, so that "can't possibly be the problem".

Gears is a close quarters game, where one player directly affect another, and that's shit for networking. Lag isn't created by a game, it's created by the network and compensated by the game. All games are affected by lag in slightly different ways, due to their design, so you can't really compare them. I guess that either Gears netcode is more delicate than the other games you play, or the design of those other games lends itself better to play via the internet. Or, it could be that Gears matchmaking pairs us up badly and that's introducing the lag... Who the fuck knows!? I'm not saying you're not seeing it, I'm just saying there will be a reason for it, and it may not be the actual game, but something dirty *around* the game. If it was the game, then we'd never get good games, but we do... So I suspect the matchmaking, or the dedis.

FWIW, we've made racing games where, if you see two sessions next to each other, in certain circumstances, both players can be in the lead. However, if you're only watching your screen, you'd never know! And this happened with a directly connected arcade network! Two computers running two slightly different simulations are always going to compute different results. Add the Internet... and you've got a randomly latent pile of shit to piece together...

None of this is an attack on anyone, or is it a statement that I am right and everybody else is wrong. In my opinion we're lucky to have the illusion of control that we have in games right now. Networked SFIV is an actual miracle to me! I really don't get it. I can play UK vs US and it plays fine...! How...?

Oh, and as for the people on the Epic boards who change their DNS server and report better gameplay... do you think the game resolves domains for every movement, for every shot...!? You could sell placebo tablets to these people, there's a market... :)

unomas

Banned
For anyone trying to rank up in multiplayer looks like a double XP weekend, I received double XP for a couple of matches before going to dinner. Sounds like it's for the entire weekend so maybe I can jump up from my 58 quicker than I was planning on.

For anyone trying to rank up in multiplayer looks like a double XP weekend, I received double XP for a couple of matches before going to dinner. Sounds like it's for the entire weekend so maybe I can jump up from my 58 quicker than I was planning on.

Isnt it, brothers to the end only?

remz

Bought a new xbox, transferred my stuff over after I bought a new hard drive for it too, and now none of my dlc works. Great.

What are the population numbers of this game right now, give or take?

I'm interested in jumping back in, but I figure the ranking system needs a decent population to prevent me from getting matched up against the die-hard fans that have been mainlining this game since release, lol.

EDIT: 'Right now' meaning lately, like this month, not this exact minute.

Ballistik

What are the population numbers of this game right now, give or take?

I'm interested in jumping back in, but I figure the ranking system needs a decent population to prevent me from getting matched up against the die-hard fans that have been mainlining this game since release, lol.

EDIT: 'Right now' meaning lately, like this month, not this exact minute.
What I usually see:
Warzone, execution, wingman, and Alpha usually under 1,000 (like 600-800)
Capture the leader has a bit over 1,000
KoTh at like 4,000
TDM is around 6,000-10,000

PJX

Can someone answer 2 questions for me?

1. How do you do the 20 chapters without dying medal? I've played the game on Normal without dying but yet it isn't registering.

2. How exactly do you unlock the Executions? Is it versus mode only or offline play also? Because if it can be done offline, my kills aren't registering in the stats and reward pages.

Can someone answer 2 questions for me?

1. How do you do the 20 chapters without dying medal? I've played the game on Normal without dying but yet it isn't registering.

2. How exactly do you unlock the Executions? Is it versus mode only or offline play also? Because if it can be done offline, my kills aren't registering in the stats and reward pages.

1. It has to be in arcade. I don't think it is difficulty specific but just in case just keep loading up the flashback chapter on insane. It counts towards it.

2. It has to be in versus or horde. But even if you don't have the executions unlocked, your character does them anyways in campaign.

PJX

1. It has to be in arcade. I don't think it is difficulty specific but just in case just keep loading up the flashback chapter on insane. It counts towards it.

2. It has to be in versus or horde. But even if you don't have the executions unlocked, your character does them anyways in campaign.

Thank you very much.

Brakara

How come I'm unable to play team death match with the new maps my brother downloaded? Is it only for brothers to the end playlist?

It's in the TDM rotation as well. Actually, you wouldn't be able to play TDM unless you have downloaded the new maps. Just be patient.

unomas

Banned
And I'm still grinding......double XP helped me get to 63 over the 3 day period playing strictly TDM, but considering I'm just now around 33% of the way to 3.8 million XP......yeah I need more double XP weekends Cliffy.

mernst23

I'm so pumped for RAAM's shadow tomorrow, I need something to take away from the monotony of kill grinding. I'm upto 34 onyx medals (got leader matches, heavy weapons, 6000 pickup kills, and spotter in the last week and a half) now and am level 99.

MjFrancis

Looking forward to getting back on Gears and playing RAAM's Shadow. I've only been playing Gears lately long enough to show off my 3D television. So, an occasional private match with me and a friend versus some bots.

The bottom line, for anyone who hasn't played Gears 3 in 3D, is that the resolution takes a big hit and it's more of a curious novelty than a new way to play the game. The blood splatter effects look really nice on the screen, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom