• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
what does he say again at the start when he's talking to the kid? is it that?

I laughed so hard when the truck flipped over 20 seconds later

Haha. OSCAR WORTHY! I think it was something along the lines of, "In life there will always be struggle, but there will also always be hope and happiness". I hate him. Where's my shotgu- oh.

PJX

Hopefully someone can answer this question for me.

Has anyone with a US account living in the UK or Europe been able to download Raam's Shadow off Xbox Live without the use of a VPN? Basically is it region coded? I want to know because I don't want to waste buying MS points and it doesn't work.

It was good of Epic to give us those 2 free skins (Mint and Candy Cane). I hope they're permanent.
The new maps are really good too. I stopped playing Gears for a bit because the original 10 map rotation got so boring.
If the regular DLC weapon skins were'nt so damn expensive, Im sure I'd have bought some of those by now :/

3 friends and I played Insane Arcade Raam's Shadow last night. Luckily I was player 1 so I got to play Raam, mwahaha.

I really like the DLC, but I really hate Insane difficulty. It puts you in situations where there really isn't anything you can do, like shotgunners who are waaaaaay too accurate. We keep joking that they have scopes on the shotguns. I'm up for the challenge but the amount of times we've had to restart really sucks the fun out of it.

We got all the way up to I think the end of chapter 4 (?) where
we use a loader as a shield to go through a hallway with 2 troikas at the end, then fight in a construction area arena.
We all wanted to do the DLC in 1 sitting, but it was 1am and we all had to work in the morning, so we're playing again tonight.

I hope the game lets us start at or near our checkpoint, and not at the beginning of this chapter. Either way, still glad to be playing more Gears. I just wish we weren't doing it on insane. Hardcore is the sweet spot for me, I guess.

MjFrancis

I've heard King of the Hill is a good place for players using RAAM to kill players using Minh. I might take advantage of this in the coming days.

Lima

Just give us MOAR MAPS

For a multiplayer that people are barely playing? Shit there is more people playing the campaign every night than people in MP.

This game is pretty much dead if you like to play ranked and something other than Team Crapmatch.

I hope the game lets us start at or near our checkpoint, and not at the beginning of this chapter. Either way, still glad to be playing more Gears. I just wish we weren't doing it on insane. Hardcore is the sweet spot for me, I guess.

Game doesn't save checkpoints in Arcade for the DLC. So you will pretty much have to start from the beginning of the chapter.

MjFrancis

All in all I enjoyed RAAM's Shadow. I finished the SP yesterday, and if I had to guess I'd put this campaign at 2.5 - 3 hours total, or in other words half the length of the entire Gears 1 campaign.

I liked that it had anything remotely horror-based, or at least I got that feeling prodding through certain sections of the game. The schoolhouse could be creepy, and if played solo on Insane could probably be downright stressful. The RAAM sections were fun at first, but after the first trip as our resident superpowerful killing machine I lost my enthusiasm for his near-invincibility.

So I lost a little luster for it after my first playthrough, but I chalk a good bit of that to me not playing these sections in Arcade. Gears 3 has conditioned me to play the campaign for points in 4 player co-op. After I was done enjoying the environments and destruction, I was wondering what was missing. Points for killing grubs, of course. They don't particularly mean anything, but I've become accustomed to earning numbers for just about anything I do in a Gears SP campaign.

I wonder how I'll feel after playing Act II of Gears 1 again. I'm a sucker for those Kryll sections, haters be damned.

daedalius

Played through the DLC with my wife and had a fun time, not the best dialogue I've ever heard... but what I'd expect from Gears. Tai was... well.

Still, looking forward to more campaign-ish kind of stuff. I hope more games do stuff like this.

Just give us MOAR MAPS

for what? I can't even find a freakin RANKED GAME, I have to go in QUICK match to get into a game with 2 players and the rest BOTS.

I am sort of happy and sad at the same time at Gears of War 3's multiplayer.

I think the crowd was turned away from the utter SHIT Multiplayer of Gears of War 2.

mernst23

for what? I can't even find a freakin RANKED GAME, I have to go in QUICK match to get into a game with 2 players and the rest BOTS.

I am sort of happy and sad at the same time at Gears of War 3's multiplayer.

I think the crowd was turned away from the utter SHIT Multiplayer of Gears of War 2.

Ironically I think the fact that they made the onyx medals super grindy is diminishing from the community as well since those players are just in private matches. If they wanted to get those players they should cut every other Onyx Medal requirement in half and triple what it takes to get lvl 100. I mean, I have 36 Onyx medals and number #36 was my wings. I played a ridiculous amount of Gears 2 online because the fastest way of getting veteran gear (the real seriously 2.0) was playing with other people, not against bots.

Nori Chan

So yesterday my friend and I were on a MISSION looking for Kim lmao

But as soon as he backed out there was a bot on the other team as Kim so I got 3 good kills on him :] 7 more to go

It was good of Epic to give us those 2 free skins (Mint and Candy Cane). I hope they're permanent.
Unfortunately no, they're not. Epic say they only have two slots for special event skins so they'll presumably be gone after Christmas, use them while you can.

Got lucky today and joined a KOTH game with 3 Minhs on the opposing team. Foreshadowing achievement get. Good riddance...

Ironically I think the fact that they made the onyx medals super grindy is diminishing from the community as well since those players are just in private matches. If they wanted to get those players they should cut every other Onyx Medal requirement in half and triple what it takes to get lvl 100. I mean, I have 36 Onyx medals and number #36 was my wings. I played a ridiculous amount of Gears 2 online because the fastest way of getting veteran gear (the real seriously 2.0) was playing with other people, not against bots.

Did you grind these in private? does its contribute alot to your rank in the long run.

Any tips on what i should be grinding?

Vire

Anybody got tips for RAAM on Insane? His Kryll are impossible to dodge....

Is there something I'm missing? Anything! HELP.

I beat Hardcore no problem, but this is nuts.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just got through with my solo playthrough of the DLC - they really nailed the old feel, look and architecture of the period of Gears 1, as it's expected considering the timeline of the DLC.

Loved the battles as well, one particular one reminded me of a certain battle in Gears 1 too.

Especially loved the end - good stuff Epic.

Sandman42

RAAM's Shadow is excellent! I enjoy the throwback to simpler times where grub-holes and locust were the only things you had to worry about. Brings back Gears 1 memories.

The RAAM sections are just mindless fun, but I have to say I enjoyed them.

Would love to see more of this kind of DLC.

mernst23

Did you grind these in private? does its contribute alot to your rank in the long run.

Any tips on what i should be grinding?

I mean, i'm going for Onyx medals and seriously 3.0, so I play about 85% Private matches trying to get the medals and 15% versus for fun. In short, the Onyx Medals give you a good amount of experience, but if you aren't going for seriously 3.0 and only want to rank up quicker Ranked TDM is probably your best bet.

It all depends on what medal you are going for, when I was doing the pyro kill onyx and getting 130 kills in a 12 minute (150 to cap, 12 minute KOTH match) I was only getting 2k experience a match. But when I was doing leader saves for example a 12 minute match would give me like 300-400 xp, if even that. Then there are some medals like founder where you legitly get about 0 experience while going for and take 7-8 hours to get.

I mean, i'm going for Onyx medals and seriously 3.0, so I play about 85% Private matches trying to get the medals and 15% versus for fun. In short, the Onyx Medals give you a good amount of experience, but if you aren't going for seriously 3.0 and only want to rank up quicker Ranked TDM is probably your best bet.

It all depends on what medal you are going for, when I was doing the pyro kill onyx and getting 130 kills in a 12 minute (150 to cap, 12 minute KOTH match) I was only getting 2k experience a match. But when I was doing leader saves for example a 12 minute match would give me like 300-400 xp, if even that. Then there are some medals like founder where you legitly get about 0 experience while going for and take 7-8 hours to get.

Im interested in seriously 3.0 so its something i will work towards. Im not the biggest fan of gears online i feel like im constantly getting stomped on. Sitting at lvl 60 now with 6 onyx medals so im wondering if id get the other 40 lvls working towards the onyx medals and could avoid the online.

So as a more casual Gears fan who played through the campaign once and played about a dozen hours of multiplayer, is Raam's Shadow worth the price?

I don't really intend on picking up multiplayer anytime soon.

Biggzy

Finished Raam's shadow last night and overall I did enjoyed it, but I can't shake the feeling that it's a tad overpriced at 1200 ms points.

Nori Chan

Finished Raam's shadow last night and overall I did enjoyed it, but I can't shake the feeling that it's a tad overpriced at 1200 ms points.

i paid 30 dollars

I GOT RIPPED OFF SON

In other news, who wants to get the Horde Achievements? Zeta Squad and Onyx Guards today?

So after playing RAAM's Shadow and Horde Command and knowing that you have 2 more content packs on the way (at least) Would people be up for Season Pass 2 offering the same amount of content or perhaps,

2 Story based DLC's
1 Larger Map pack (7-8 Maps?)

10-12 new characters in total
5-7 new skin sets

2400 points.

I certainly would, infact 2400 for something of that level sounds cheap to me. RAAM's Shadow was great id love to see more of Zeta or even a new squad. How about a "Skorge's Shadow" type DLC, I can imagine some unique executions using that dual chainsaw.

h3ro

All right how about 4 PM PST?

We still need a fifth.

Can't play tonight :/

Just got out of two hours in traffic and had plans for the night. Enjoy fellas.

I'll get those points... some day. :(

I should be back around 1-2AM EST so some of you West coasters might still be on, I'll try to jump in then.

leng jai

Played Raam's shadow and its alright, about on par with the standard campaign.

Tai needs to shut the fuck up though, his dialog is some of the worst shit I've heard ever. Meatheads aren't philosophers for a reason. The RAAM sections are bloody tedious after the first 2 minutes as well, who thought that was a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom