• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will probably be a stupid question, but a friend of mine is getting Gears 3 next week and I was thinking it would be cool to get him a Season Pass for Christmas. There's no way I can buy him a code for it, is there? (UK BTW)

Lima

So theres no way to download the dlc normally if your a season pass guy? You just have to do it through the menu on the disc? Yarg, its at 2 percent after like 10 minutes. Gonna have to try to dl the bulk of it tomorrow morning. Also, I hate having to leave the game running while its downloading.

Start the download through the menu, exit back to xbox home and go to your download history and restart the download. It will be added to your queue and downloaded in the background.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
This will probably be a stupid question, but a friend of mine is getting Gears 3 next week and I was thinking it would be cool to get him a Season Pass for Christmas. There's no way I can buy him a code for it, is there? (UK BTW)

You can't gift XBL items unless Microsoft put out pre-packaged codes. I think they do that for COD and HALO but I've not seen it for anything else.

your best bet is to buy point cards and let them buy it

So, I've only really played through the initial few skirmishes in Raam's Shadow, but the very first thought that I had was, "wow, they've managed to make Gears really fucking ugly with this". Dem jaggies, man. Everything looked off, come to think of it.

You can't gift XBL items unless Microsoft put out pre-packaged codes. I think they do that for COD and HALO but I've not seen it for anything else.

your best bet is to buy point cards and let them buy it

GAME do a reasonably decent selection of XBLA and DLC in store (I bought him the All-Fronts collection this way) but I haven't had a chance to go to any of the 3 GAME stores that are near where I live or work to see if the Season Pass is available yet.

Cheers anyway.

So, I've only really played through the initial few skirmishes in Raam's Shadow, but the very first thought that I had was, "wow, they've managed to make Gears really fucking ugly with this". Dem jaggies, man. Everything looked off, come to think of it.

That's a shame.

I haven't played it yet, but It's downloaded and I should go in today.

JMizzlin

Kim liked to jump in to emergence holes in my playthrough. The two times it happened it was pretty funny.

Yes! Kim did the same to me, was funny until I had to restart from checkpoint :(

Was running through tonight with a mate and having a blast until disaster struck.

CHAPTER 3 SPOILERS
Right near the end of the chapter, during the
Berzerker fight in the gymnasium
we had a whole section fail to load objects. The AI stood still and we were stuck, couldn't go forward or back. Nothing loaded except the friendly AI. We tried to restart checkpoint as well as quit to menu and re-enter but to no avail. Now we get to start the chapter all over again =/ Joy.

Good thing it's fun. As someone said, it's very reminiscent of Gears 1 which is brilliant.

REV 09

The first section is full of jaggies, but there are some really great looking set pieces mixed in the dlc. the 3rd and 5th chapters were the best for me.

MjFrancis

It's amusing that Garcia el Gringo mentioned the lack of collectibles since I spent a good portion of time going through the first four chapters in search of collectibles I knew weren't there. I was just admiring the environment, taking a afternoon constitutional in that Locust-infested hellhole. It was pleasant.

I also noticed that there were a few areas that were actually a little difficult on solo Hardcore. Definitely not the RAAM sections, those were easy as shit, but
the first courtyard with the one-shot Locusts covering for the multiple grub holes and another courtyard after that that involved tons of grub holes and nemacysts.

I can't wait to finish out the final chapter tonight and then play it co-op on Arcade. I hope Epic can made their fourth pack another SP release (the third is Beast-related or something, right?) and create something even darker and more reminiscent of the Gears 1 campaign. Or even put in that dark Gears 1 aesthetic and go all-out survival horror instead of being merely influenced by it. Limit ammo and throw us the most gruesome Locust you can imagine, Epic.

Just started playing Gears 3 again, after spending my recent xbox time on Saints Row 3 and MW3 (yawn).
TBH Im a little disappointed the new female Gear isnt hotter. Id like to have seen a Gears version of Red Sonjas chainmail bikini or something, but oh well.
The new sideburns guy looks badass though.

raams-shadow-dlc-characters1.jpg

-PXG-

I thought it was just me, but there was a shit load of aliasing in this DLC. It didn't look as polished as the campaign. Then again, they had fewer people and less time to work on this, so it's understandable that it doesn't look as good. It didn't bother me too much. Plus, I just got a high-end gaming PC. My 2500k (overclocked to 4.6 GHz), two GTX 560s (SLI baybee!) and 16 GB of RAM have spoiled me and made me notice the disparity between consoles and PCs even more than before.

EDIT

Although I can't confirm it myself, to me, it looks like Gears 1 had the most AA out of all three games. I guess in order to add more effects (ambient occlusion, dynamic lighting, object based blur, ect), something else had to take a hit. The ambient occlusion in Gears 2 was too intense, and couldn't keep up with the player's movements. Those would keen eyes would see shadows constantly shifting. It just wasn't pretty. Plus, it was used too much, so much so, they used it to replace shadows altogether. Surely pre-baking shadows for stationary objects (ie, environmental assets) would have been a better option. Bungie sure does it a lot.

Anyway, I noticed they toned it down, and even took it out of some areas in Gears 3. Not only does it look better, but toning it down allowed other things to be added. I would love to see how Gears 3 would look on PC, at a higher resolution, better textures, anisotropic filtering (16x....why not), and better AA (at least 4x MSAA)

MjFrancis

That achievement sucks since Minh was my favorite Gears 2 Mp character. I might have to stick with Samantha until this whole business dies down a bit in a few weeks.

Anyone willing to help me do 2 chapters on 4 player co-op so I can finish that off?

Or willing to let me host a beast/horde match real quick for the achievements?

Robot Pants

RAAM's Shadow >>>>> entire Gears 3 campaign.

This was reminiscent of Gears 1 on almost every single level. Epic captured pretty much everything that made the first game feel as intimate, creepy and dark as it was. The architecture of Ilima, transitioning from area to area, the close quarters combat. All of it..It screams Gears 1...well done.

You guys should be proud.

EDIT

Seriously, for those who haven't played it yet, if you loved Gears 1's campaign and how it played, you'll enjoy RAAM's Shadow.

Completely forgot about this (in light of AE 2012) but since Gears 1 campaign was my favorite, I'll have to get this.

MjFrancis

Someone posted a Bruce Lee picture I hadn't seen in a locked thread. The picture made me laugh so I stole it for my avatar. I've been rotating the same few ones for quite a while now so I was due for a new one.

mernst23

The RAAM executing Minh achievement was such a bad idea, either make it once or just make it that it's 100 RAAM executions total and allow it in private. I was too busy playing the campaign yesterday but I can guarentee i'll be one of those idiots trying to gangrape Minh until I get my 10. At least i'll play with Kim when i'm COG so that i can return the favor but I forsee quitting games that don't have players being Minh when I'm RAAM.

Does anyone know how to unlock Prescott fast? Also I haven't unlocked Savage Theron Guard and still need help on that, but I can't today because I have to study for my final tomorrow.

MjFrancis

I just played Team Deathmatch (on Bullet Marsh) for the first time online in probably six weeks. I was a complete and utter disgrace to my team, to put it bluntly.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I just played Team Deathmatch (on Bullet Marsh) for the first time online in probably six weeks. I was a complete and utter disgrace to my team, to put it bluntly.

haha I was the same today. First time playing it in a few weeks and it was miserable.

it's worse when you're level 100 and people expect you to be good because of the badge. No, I just play horde a lot. leave me alone! :'(

I'm guessing I'm near the end of Raam's and to be honest, pure meh. I mean, sure, it's probably a bit more engaging than the vanilla campaign, but I still find it VERY dull, which only really speaks for myself and my perception of Gears as an SP game.

Also, I've decided that I just hate the writing in Gears so much. Cringe-worthy efforts so far:

Tai: "I see signs of life here, but no thing living". We get it, Tai. You're a spiritual douche. Shut it.

Also, Barrick likening the toughness of a
Berserker
to that of his ex.

EPIC, BRO.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I've decided that I just hate the writing in Gears so much. Cringe-worthy efforts so far:

Tai: "I see signs of life here, but no thing living". We get it, Tai. You're a spiritual douche. Shut it.

what does he say again at the start when he's talking to the kid? is it that?

I laughed so hard when the truck flipped over 20 seconds later

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This DLC sucks. It's repetitive as hell. Maybe I'm just tired of Gears, maybe this DLC legitimately sucks, or maybe Dark Souls just owns me.

Got half way through the highschool turned it off, back to Dark Souls for my second playthrough.

I'm guessing I'm near the end of Raam's and to be honest, pure meh. I mean, sure, it's probably a bit more engaging than the vanilla campaign, but I still find it VERY dull, which only really speaks for myself and my perception of Gears as an SP game.

Also, Barrick likening the toughness of a
Berserker
to that of his ex.

EPIC, BRO.

Yeah, but then Gears SP has never been really good IMO. The combat in this DLC is just repetitive and boring though.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda late to the party here, but I just played my first ever online Gears matches and HOLY HELL have I missed dedicated servers!! I forgot what it felt like back in my PC gaming days, but damn I almost forgot I was playing online until the scoreboard came up.

I like the slower, more methodical nature of Gears games too. It kinda sucks though about the respawn system - if your team sucks, then you become unable to respawn very often. Kinda not a fan of that, but maybe I'll grow to enjoy it.

Are there any videos/commentators I can watch to pick up some tips/strategies? I'm so used to Call of Duty and Uncharted online, which are so extremely different from Gears multiplayer.

Edit: Oh great. I went on YouTube and typed in "Gears of War 3" and the autofill list comes down and throws a massive, ginormous spoiler in my face. Thanks internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom