• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have there been issues with the servers lately? I haven't played in a few weeks (Skyrim owns me) but it seems like a lot of people above are mentioning lag. What gives? I've had a relatively smooth experience since launch.

I was about to get back into this to try the RAAM dlc.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I sort of want to buy 360 to play this game, is online worth it?

also how is the campaign?

It's a good game, but I don't think it's worth it simply to get a console for it.

Have there been issues with the servers lately? I haven't played in a few weeks (Skyrim owns me) but it seems like a lot of people above are mentioning lag. What gives? I've had a relatively smooth experience since launch.

I was about to get back into this to try the RAAM dlc.

Last time I played servers were not up and the game was running like absolute shit. (that was a few weeks ago)

Lunchbox

Banned
Gnasher isn't working for shit. I just might quit this game for good. :c
was this you then

HJzyE.jpg

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I think both are good. Please play the first two if you haven't for story reasons though.

I played the first one on PC and LOVED it. That's why I want to buy the third one. Online looks like tons of fun, also Bayonetta...

but these are just two games I want and I'm not sure if these games justify 350$ (the price in my region) purchase. I wish MS were more agressive with exclusives.

It's a good game, but I don't think it's worth it simply to get a console for it.

I'd actually say that it is one of those rare games that justifies a console purchase, purely because of its uniqueness and generally excellent execution. That being said, it's a game that requires considerable time investment. The better you are, the more fun you'll have. It's not as "pick up and play" as your CoDs and whatnot.

Man... SO close to Carmine now. 4XP worked an absolute treat.

Robot Pants

I'd actually say that it is one of those rare games that justifies a console purchase, purely because of its uniqueness and generally excellent execution. That being said, it's a game that requires considerable time investment. The better you are, the more fun you'll have. It's not as "pick up and play" as your CoDs and whatnot.

As a huge Gears fan since the beginning, I would absolutely disagree with Gears 3 justifying a console purchase. The SP campaign is by far the worst in the series, and flat out boring throughout most of it. The story is also really shallow and doesn't offer much closure at all.

If you've never played Gears MP before this one, I can almost assure you you will hate it. If you are playing the regular playlists with the Retro, SOS, coupled with the other two INSANELY damaging rifles, you won't be having a good time. Learning Gears in that kind of environment will take a much heavier time investment than it normally would if you had played the other games.

I would just stay away. Buy the Xbox for Alan Wake or Red Dead, or Skyrim if you don't have a PC.

As a huge Gears fan since the beginning, I would absolutely disagree with Gears 3 justifying a console purchase. The SP campaign is by far the worst in the series, and flat out boring throughout most of it. The story is also really shallow and doesn't offer much closure at all.

If you've never played Gears MP before this one, I can almost assure you you will hate it. If you are playing the regular playlists with the Retro, SOS, coupled with the other two INSANELY damaging rifles, you won't be having a good time. Learning Gears in that kind of environment will take a much heavier time investment than it normally would if you had played the other games.

I would just stay away. Buy the Xbox for Alan Wake or Red Dead, or Skyrim if you don't have a PC.

Your points are definitely valid. I'm ignoring the SP aspect altogether; always have and always will. Gears 3 as a VS MP game, however, is just something that resonates with me a lot, so I'm always happy to recommend it.

I think the same can be said for Gears that most say for a game like Dark Souls. Yes, it's brutal at times, but if you play smart and patiently, the pay-off is like nothing else in gaming. The game sings like no other when both you and it are on the ball.

It all comes down to taste, really. For me, at its core, Gears is the perfect shooter.

EDIT: Dark Souls is way more brutal, actually.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

For me a game to justify a console purchase would have to be extremely excellent. Either in SP/MP or preferably both. Gears only has "good" MP, sure it's good to be good at it, but it's nothing to own a console for.

The main reason to own an Xbox is because of Xbox live, and if your friends have it. All of the main franchises Halo and Gears are losing "it."

The only good thing about Gears 3 is the dedicated servers, and even those are hit and miss much of the time.

EDIT: Dark Souls is way more brutal, actually.

Dark souls is amazing. I've beaten it 4 times now and the PVP is always entertaining.

For me a game to justify a console purchase would have to be extremely excellent. Either in SP/MP or preferably both. Gears only has "good" MP, sure it's good to be good at it, but it's nothing to own a console for.

The main reason to own an Xbox is because of Xbox live, and if your friends have it. All of the main franchises Halo and Gears are losing "it."

The only good thing about Gears 3 is the dedicated servers, and even those are hit and miss much of the time.

Dark souls is amazing. I've beaten it 4 times now and the PVP is always entertaining.

Agreed. I just like what Gears is that much, I guess. In the endless sea of shooters offering an "unparalleled, never before seen multiplayer experience", I find it hard to not be impressed with what Gears does; its mechanics are pure genius.

Man, I gave up on Dark Souls after 2 hours. I'm just not built to game that way. I can definitely see the appeal, though.

What's with this crashing shite? Was playing with my bro and we've crashed 3 times in the last 24 hours. Never crashed before. It's like I'm playing Skyrim.

What's with this crashing shite? Was playing with my bro and we've crashed 3 times in the last 24 hours. Never crashed before. It's like I'm playing Skyrim.

Happening to me too. Happened once last night and twice today. Wassadeal?
You know, I'm starting to think all this Gearsmas stuff is somehow messing with the hardware. I've never had crashes of any sort with this game until this week when they started with the Gearsmas events.

Just a moment ago my Xbox completely froze twice in less than 5 minutes. The second time it happened a mate that was in my lobby told me his machine froze too. Then I remembered you guys posting about crashes. That's too much of a coincidence.

Let me tell you, the amount of Flame Grenadiers they're spawning in every wave of Horde can't be healthy for the hardware. Yesterday I played a few rounds and the framerate would drop like mad until we killed off all the Flamers. Choppy-as-fuck Gears is NOT fun and I don't think the console enjoys it either.

Sort this out Epic, please don't kill my Xbox.

Me too.

I missed the MI skin promo though :(

Not quite, you have until the 25th though, and I assume it'll be based on US time, so probably till about 3pm Christmas day.

I was hoping to do a 4 player Insane Arcade run through today, but there was only 3 of us and I've been waiting since 12 for them to come on. Still waiting.

Think I'm gonna miss it too :(

Not quite, you have until the 25th though, and I assume it'll be based on US time, so probably till about 3pm Christmas day.

I was hoping to do a 4 player Insane Arcade run through today, but there was only 3 of us and I've been waiting since 12 for them to come on. Still waiting.

Think I'm gonna miss it too :(

I thought that it ended the 21st. If its till being offered and you really want it, then don't wait for 4 player co-op. Just get it done and do 4 player another time. The camo isn't anything amazing either. It's just a green digital camo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh shit there is a deadline on the MI promo?

..well I guess I'm missing that :/

I thought it was just anytime after the date you could finish on insane. Have everything but the final boss done in coop :/

Who's in the giving spirit? I need people to help me finish the campaign on Insane. Just the final boss. The host needs to have the proper mutators. Anyone who's willing to help a fellow Gear out can PM me or send me a XBL friend request and let me know. My GamerTag is RyoGCH.

My friend got all of his achievements reset. They haven't been removed from his gamertag, obviously, but the game thinks that he has none. So now he's getting achievement progress for achievements he's already gotten.

At least his level and medals are still intact.

h3ro

I get having the snowman heads in MP. Why the heck are they turned on for campaign as well?! Annoying, especially if you're playing local co-op.

Damn Frosty head takes up 3/4 of the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom