• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballistik

Thanks to these damn medals and unlocking stuff, I've developed a taste for the Hammerburst. 2 days ago, I was strictly Lancer or GTFO.

What's happening to me, and how can I make this experience more pleasant and filled with hot death for my foes?

I'm pretty much all the time hammerburst when playing competitively, but I'm seriously getting tired of the games where it just turns into a competition of who has faster trigger fingers. When it's a REAL competitive game, nobody even uses their shotgun.. It gets boring and annoying having 5 hammerburts aiming at you waiting for the second you move out of cover.

Gonna play Alpha for awhile and see how it goes. Atleast the Lancer puts everyone on the same playing field, and allows you to move across the map more.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I like the HB, but I'd always seem to down dudes with my last shot, allowing teammates to kill steal.

I guess they tweaked the clip size, so I should give it another shot.

Nah, magazine size is still the same, but they added two extra magazines for extra ammo.

But I agree with the clip size being small, especially when looking at the bullet-hose Lancer, but when you know it's 8 bullets to any part of the body to down them with no perfect reload at 100% life, no matter where they are in the level, especially thanks to the update removing the damage drop-off at distance, it's easy to gauge shots and concentrate more on downing someone with what you have before they get stolen without having to reload.

It was annoying in the very beginning but it stopped happening a long time ago.

When it's a REAL competitive game, nobody even uses their shotgun.. It gets boring and annoying having 5 hammerburts aiming at you waiting for the second you move out of cover.

THIS.

This is why I loathe the "tone down the shotguns" argument. Sure, you could very well contend that if Gears were primarily a rifle game focused on flanking and positioning, it may just be the game that it was meant to be, but it would be THAT BORING and FRUSTRATING in comparison. Maps like Overpass, Sandbar and even Gridlock at times highlight this; constant HB/Lancer fire from the key spots rendering even the slightest movement treacherous. Don't even think about picking up an item/weapon, son.

Montresor

Anyone else think the season pass shouldn't get a price drop? Maybe it was a dumb assumption of mine but back when I bought it (late September, early October) for some reason I thought the season pass would keep increasing in price as time went on. I thought the point was to encourage early adoption of the season pass in exchange for cheaper DLC. As a matter of fact I was pretty shocked to see that the season pass wasn't upped in price and still remained at 2400 points when the Raam DLC was released.

Oh well, no skin off my back! I enjoyed the DLC very much so far. I played soooo much horde goodness thanks to the first DLC and the Raam campaign was just incredible.

EYEL1NER

Okay, something weird just happened.
The candy cane and mint weapon skins were only active for Xmas right? Because I haven't played Gears 3 since November, yet while selecting characters, I have two white boxes that either say "Custom Skin" or "Custom Weapon" for every weapon and they are the candy cane and mint weapons.
I'm not supposed to have these, am I?

Just got the Season Pass and downloaded the Horde Command Pack and RAAM's Shadow. Also cleared my cache and repatched the game.

nvm.
I dug around on the Epic forums and found out that they weren't turned off yet from Gearsmas. And that it shows up 'Custom Skin' for everyone.
I cleared the cache so I could get the fortifications needed for the unlimited ammo mutator and then when I noticed those, I thought I broke something after repatching it.

It sucks, because I like the way the candy cane skin looks. Wish we could keep them. Back to liquid green for me I guess.

So my account is locked because I got hacked. If I register another XBL account, go Gold for 2 days, and buy the Season pass on my main console for 1800 spacebucks, will that work? Will I get all Season Pass benefits for my main account when I regain access to it, even if I get rid of the temporary account or let it expire?

Please advise, GAF.

Ballistik

Anyone else think the season pass shouldn't get a price drop? Maybe it was a dumb assumption of mine but back when I bought it (late September, early October) for some reason I thought the season pass would keep increasing in price as time went on. I thought the point was to encourage early adoption of the season pass in exchange for cheaper DLC. As a matter of fact I was pretty shocked to see that the season pass wasn't upped in price and still remained at 2400 points when the Raam DLC was released.

Oh well, no skin off my back! I enjoyed the DLC very much so far. I played soooo much horde goodness thanks to the first DLC and the Raam campaign was just incredible.
"Hey, you'll get a discount if you pre-order the DLC! Buy the season pass to save money" I remember Rod persuading everyone to buy it because you save money. All the loyal fans purchased it day one, THREE months later and it's on sale for one day, 25% off. They can put it on sale after they all come out, not when it's still new and half the DLC has yet to be released.

Doesn't affect me personally, but it doesn't feel right.

So my account is locked because I got hacked. If I register another XBL account, go Gold for 2 days, and buy the Season pass on my main console for 1800 spacebucks, will that work? Will I get all Season Pass benefits for my main account when I regain access to it, even if I get rid of the temporary account or let it expire?

Please advise, GAF.

Go gold for two days? Like a 48 hour trial? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all dotw and 'discounts' like those are reserved for 'true' gold members only.

Basically I think you have to have a gold membership to take advantage of any deals.

Also, I had my account hacked once too. I got my account back the day of. If you call them and don't back down and just explain that you want to play your games and get your account back, they'll get you back online without all the 'investigating' bullshit.

Go gold for two days? Like a 48 hour trial? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all dotw and 'discounts' like those are reserved for 'true' gold members only.

Basically I think you have to have a gold membership to take advantage of any deals.

Also, I had my account hacked once too. I got my account back the day of. If you call them and don't back down and just explain that you want to play your games and get your account back, they'll get you back online without all the 'investigating' bullshit.

Ok, bummer. Regarding the account, what did you say exactly? Did you ask them to escalate it, or did you ask to talk to a supervisor or something?

So I finally got the game and just finished the main campaign, had a blast. Really excellent campaign, I really want to play through it again with 3 other people if anyone is interested?

Speaking of MP, I've never really been a fan of Gears MP for whatever reason but tonight I decided to fire up "Casual versus" and I just had SO much fun. I'm totally converted now and would love to play more. This may seem weird, but anyone interested in taking a sorta Gears noob "under their wing" for some MP action? At this point I'm a little scared to just jump into non-casual versus without anyone cool to play with.

My GT is Sketch Sanchez, I'm gonna add the gaf tags right now.

I forked over my 1800 MSP for the season pass.
Im a little disappointed that (individual) weapon skins were'nt discounted.
I really want Team Pulse and Team Metal but they're so overpriced currently.
*sigh* Team Metal is seriously sexy and under rated/not often seen, IMO
team-metal.jpg

Im pretty sure the complete weapon skin pack has been reduced (now sitting at 1800MSP). I remember it was an astronomical price before. Maybe over 3000MSP? lol.

I forked over my 1800 MSP for the season pass.
Im a little disappointed that (individual) weapon skins were'nt discounted.
I really want Team Pulse and Team Metal but they're so overpriced currently.
*sigh* Team Metal is seriously sexy and under rated/not often seen, IMO
team-metal.jpg

Im pretty sure the complete weapon skin pack has been reduced (now sitting at 1800MSP). I remember it was an astronomical price before. Maybe over 3000MSP? lol.

Dat metal. Easily the nicest skin. It's all down to the way they've applied the decal. They haven't just blanketed it over the whole weapon, which generally looks like shit; it's all about leaving some of the componentry nice and bare. If I recall correctly, the Deadly Cute skins also do the same thing, but they're, you know, pink.

A Decal Editor of sorts is something that the big loser inside of me would actually enjoy, but hey, bigger fish to fry and all that.

LosDaddie

Banned
Gears-GAF,

I'm buying the Season Pass tonight after work since I was waiting for a sale. Anyone want to get a game of Horde Mode, or RAAM's Shadow going tonight? Like around 9pm EST?

Also, anybody know where you can buy MS Points online, and they email you a code for the points?

One way or the other the older dlc is going to be sold at a discount at some point so its really not that big of deal. Season Pass holders got it first and got a relative overall discount. Those buying this now @1800 are getting two dlc packs late and the remainder at a slight discount.

Then there is me- I bought both dlc packs so far at full price is it a good deal for me to jump on the season pass now @ 1800? I've been busy so I'm not too familiar with upcoming dlc but was expecting a pack at 800 and one at 1200.

LosDaddie

Banned

"Hey, you'll get a discount if you pre-order the DLC! Buy the season pass to save money" I remember Rod persuading everyone to buy it because you save money. All the loyal fans purchased it day one, THREE months later and it's on sale for one day, 25% off. They can put it on sale after they all come out, not when it's still new and half the DLC has yet to be released.

Doesn't affect me personally, but it doesn't feel right.

Guys, it's a one day sale, for 25% off. Not that big of a deal. I mean, I understand where you're coming from, but you already got to play the first 2 DLCs early, and you should be happy the sale will/should bring more people into the online community to play with/against.

They stonewalled me. Talked to a supervisor and she stonewalled me, and they wouldn't transfer me to the department that's investigating my account. They did, however, put 600 MSP into my account so that I can still have the Gears 3 season pass sale price when I get my account back.

Ballistik

Video proof that most of the combat chat is completely missing when playing on dedicated servers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqB_TriG70M

Please support the thread on the offical forums:

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads...s-1-373-supporters-92.02-Agree-*Please-Read!*

I hope this will get fixed soon. Really annoys me that the game is so quiet compared to gears 2.

Interesting, hadn't really noticed this. Man I haven't posted on EPIC forums in forever.

I think Rod Ferguson said it had something to do with the amount of memory on dedicated servers, which is also why most of the time you won't get your preferred character when you join a game until after its over.

Personally, I blame CliffyB.

LosDaddie

Banned
SO I just bought the season pass, I think it's a good time to actually TRY Horde Mode.

Is is worth playing with randoms?

Let's do some Horde right now. I just bought the Season Pass, too.

Waves 1 - 50 on any of the new maps.

GT: LosDaddie

EDIT: Who wants to play some Hord tonight? Anyone want to join?

Montresor

Video proof that most of the combat chat is completely missing when playing on dedicated servers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqB_TriG70M

Please support the thread on the offical forums:

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads...s-1-373-supporters-92.02-Agree-*Please-Read!*

I hope this will get fixed soon. Really annoys me that the game is so quiet compared to gears 2.

Most of the combat chat? Define "combat chat."

That video showed nothing but quotations uttered right at the very beginning of every round. Am I missing something? Who cares if we're only missing something from the very beginning of the round? Myrrah still screams her hilarious lines like "human spotted" and "I have need of this" and the locust drones still yell "Smoooooooooooke" in that funny, adorable voice during a live match. You still hear characters like Dom and Marcus scream in dismay whenever they're downed... Example: "Medddddiiiiiccccc!"

edit: I read the thread's OP. That video is embarrassingly obnoxious. Looks like the video is simply incomplete and the issue is that on dedicated servers you never hear Aaron Griffin cry in dismay when he's downed, or Marcus yell "Nice!" when he pulls off a perfect active reload. If that's the case, then okay, we've got a legitimate complaint here. In other words, characters are quiet during the entire match, and not just at the beginning of the match.

But damn damn... I've never noticed that. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention.

Ballistik

Damn man, is anybody online right now? Let's do some MP....TDM, KOTH, Warzone, Horde... I don't care what gametype.

I sent you an invite for ranked TDM awhile ago but your status was set to away so I guess you didn't see it. I'll add you because I'm always looking for extra people to join me to play MP, or join you when you're trying to do horde.

Damn man, is anybody online right now? Let's do some MP....TDM, KOTH, Warzone, Horde... I don't care what gametype.
Wish I was playing at the time you posted, I would've been game.

I still need the 4 Player Campaign achievements and all the Horde plus Raam's Shadow coop achievements too if anyone ever feels like helping me.

abracadaver

Most of the combat chat? Define "combat chat."

That video showed nothing but quotations uttered right at the very beginning of every round. Am I missing something? Who cares if we're only missing something from the very beginning of the round? Myrrah still screams her hilarious lines like "human spotted" and "I have need of this" and the locust drones still yell "Smoooooooooooke" in that funny, adorable voice during a live match. You still hear characters like Dom and Marcus scream in dismay whenever they're downed... Example: "Medddddiiiiiccccc!"

edit: I read the thread's OP. That video is embarrassingly obnoxious. Looks like the video is simply incomplete and the issue is that on dedicated servers you never hear Aaron Griffin cry in dismay when he's downed, or Marcus yell "Nice!" when he pulls off a perfect active reload. If that's the case, then okay, we've got a legitimate complaint here. In other words, characters are quiet during the entire match, and not just at the beginning of the match.

But damn damn... I've never noticed that. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention.

The video is just to give an example. There is missing a lot more during gameplay.
For example the characters dont scream when they chainsaw someone even though their mouths are open. Every character has multiple quotes for every action but when playing on dedicated servers you wont ever hear most of them. Play a few private matches against bots and you will notice a big difference.

Read the thread for more examples.

For me this is the most annoying thing about gears 3.
Multiplayer would be much more awesome if we could hear everything again like its supposed to be.

I just got a 360 and my sister bought me Gears 3 for Christmas. I'm really surprised at how much I'm loving it, it's something I never would have bought for myself. I actually loved the first one, but I guess I bought into the stereotype that only meatheads play Gears. I beat the campaign and have played a ton of multiplayer and I'm really, really enjoying it. The cover system makes it feel much more tactical than just about any other multiplayer shooting game I've played on Live. Pinning people down and flanking them is extremely satisfying online, and I love the cat and mouse back and forth that goes on when both teams run out of respawns.

Anyway, I'm posting here because Horde mode seems really cool to me too, and it seems impossible to find a good game online. I don't know what the point of starting a Horde match is when you're just going to bail before the first boss wave, but that's what a huge majority of people do.

I saw that there's a few friends lists in the OP, I'm guessing the first three are full and I should just add the fourth? My GT is Dinner Cat if anyone has extra space on their normal friends list (I haven't had a console for a couple years and I'm actually not sure how all this "friends of friends" stuff works), I'll be playing a lot of the game I'm sure for at least the next few weeks.

I'd like to run through the game again on 4 player co-op too, possibly on Insane if it's not too frustrating. I've played some Arcade with randoms and it was really fun, it always throws me in at the middle or end of Acts though, so playing through all of them is going to be annoying. I started a game once and got through the second chapter of the first act and no one had joined my game, so I just gave up.

I'm leaving for the weekend for New Year's stuff, but I'm hoping to get in on some GAF games when I get back!

Edit: Also, I forgot I wanted to mention I found out today that the guy who played Wallace in the Wire voices Jace. He sounded really, really familiar to me and it's been bugging me, finally found out today who he was. I don't know how many people over here have seen the Wire (seems like a lot of people over in the OT have) but I thought it was pretty cool.

LosDaddie

Banned
Anybody up for some games in about 2hrs (around 1:30pm EST) on the DLC? I don't care what gametype it is, only that we're playing some of the new content.

XBL crapped the bed for me last night due to the UFC event. :( I ended up just watching TV. So I really want to play some of the Season Pass content. I'm heading out to run some errands and eat lunch, then I'll be back & ready to game.

GT: LosDaddie

Post here and I'll invite you, or send me a message on XBL.

I'll add you because I'm always looking for extra people to join me to play MP, or join you when you're trying to do horde.

I still need the 4 Player Campaign achievements and all the Horde plus Raam's Shadow coop achievements too if anyone ever feels like helping me.

word

h3ro

I'm down for Horde. I wanna get those character specific cheevos.

Zeta Squad Waves 1-10 and All Onyx Guard.

I can be on around 1:30 EST as well if we can round up a group of 5.

I'm down for Horde. I wanna get those character specific cheevos.

Zeta Squad Waves 1-10 and All Onyx Guard.

I can be on around 1:30 EST as well if we can round up a group of 5.

I have no idea what that is GMT, but the missus is out tonight, and to save money I'm staying in... as apparently I'm a boring old fart who's tight with money (we're effing poor for the next week, sue me for being sensible, woman!!!).

I'll be down for some wHording, and need those cheesemints too (and if anyone's down I could use the hosting 5 player beast too).

GT=MonkeylordUK

**EDIT**
Looks like about 21:30GMT, which is fine for me. Means I have time to sort myself out with some dinner. Count me in!

USD

It's taken forever, but I feel like I'm finally pretty decent with the Gnasher. I was terrible with the gun in Gears 2; when TU6 dropped, I was pretty much done. I still favor the Hammerburst a lot, and probably use it more than 98% of other players, but at least using the Gnasher isn't a liability anymore.

And King of the Hill/Annex is still my favorite game type by far. It can be a clusterfuck at times, but it's so fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom