• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this tweet by @quinndelhoyo:

Sounds like an improvement to me. Anyone played the map with these new weapon spawns?

It's a huge improvement IMO, going underground means something more then rushing to the other spawn side.

*edit*

Spent the night playing raams shadow, for 1200 points I found it a bit lack luster and very boring running around the school and some parts afterwards, felt like that was there just to stretch the chapter out to 3 hours or whatever it is.

I liked playing as raam, nice ending but it really felt like this was an 800 add on.

-PXG-

Stranded needs to be permanent.

I don't know why Epic fucks around as much as they do. Seriously. No need to have 8,000 staff meetings and waiting until you accumulate a goddamn terabyte worth of emails in order to determine that it should added. To Hell with bureaucracy. Jesus. Make it a standard playlist and call it a day. People will bitch less and play the game more.

Stranded kicks ass and is long overdue. Keep it in.

Oh, and I can say it now, without a doubt, that this game blows the living hell out of Gears 1. This is the Gears game I've always wanted since playing the first game in 2006.

does anybody else get this feeling that quick match has a better connection than ranked? I know it sounds ludicrous but when I play on one it feels totally different than the other as if they're two different games.

-PXG-

I've never had any connection issues with this game. Then again, I live in the US and not playing on some shitty 3G hotspot or jacking my neighbor's wifi :p

abracadaver

I wonder what happens after DLC4

They are releasing DLC every 5 to 6 weeks which means DLC4 will be released on february 28th or march 6th. Thats just 6 months after release. Will there be more DLC after that ? They cant add any more achievements. I hope there will be at least another mappack.

And I hope they finally fix the characters talking when playing online.
It saddens me that there is absolutely no information about TU3 a well.

Can I get a few people to help me finish the standard campaign on Insane? I've got like 3 achievements riding on it. I just need the final boss. Can never find a good group in public these days. I need someone to host with the proper mutators. If you're willing to help PM me or send me a message on Live. My GamerTag is RyoGCH. Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Brakara

I've never had any connection issues with this game. Then again, I live in the US and not playing on some shitty 3G hotspot or jacking my neighbor's wifi :p

Well, I'm in Europe and have only experienced lag maybe 3-4 times (out of 500+ matches). This in contrast to MW3 where I lagged every fucking match (God, just thinking about that POS game makes me furious).

razu

Well, I'm in Europe and have only experienced lag maybe 3-4 times (out of 500+ matches). This in contrast to MW3 where I lagged every fucking match (God, just thinking about that POS game makes me furious).

Yep, I live in a village in England with a ~2Mbps connection and almost every game has been perfect. I used to have a 50Mbps connection, so it's not like my idea of a good connection is out of whack. I guess ping is still okay, after all, throughput isn't exactly paramount for a game.

don't go by lag from your own guns in this game as those are instant on your screen, but there is still cases of nasty lag where it feels like the enemy is always one step ahead of you in terms of ping that stuff like shotgun duels and hiding around a corner to only get your head sniped a second later are lag related.

don't go by lag from your own guns in this game as those are instant on your screen, but there is still cases of nasty lag where it feels like the enemy is always one step ahead of you in terms of ping that stuff like shotgun duels and hiding around a corner to only get your head sniped a second later are lag related.

It all comes with the territory. Granted, I've never experienced it "a second later", but there have been instances where I've been in a Longshot battle, popped my head up and hit it blown off a teeny, tiny moment after I've popped back into cover. I can live with that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Now that Rage is done (absolutely shitty game btw) I'm going to get back into Gears. The only thing that will stop me is the Ghost Recon beta coming up and it's subsequent release in March.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Man. Really? You guys find it that rife and annoying? I'm sure it's there to an extent, but rarely do I get downed and scoff at the range.
Gears is a pretty good multiplayer game overall, so comparatively yes it sticks out as a massive eyesore. The range is that bad and unjustified when it connects, I scoff every time, and am further shocked when people used to defend it as being acceptable when this thread was more active. The range is extraneous and because of the slight chance of a snipe shot it gives the Gnasher more presence and range than it needs, making it extraneous really.

On that, I wish I had more time to play this game MP myself. Bought way too many other games since it's release and as a result I've been neglecting Gears, Forza and even Marvel in favour of churning through this massive backlog I've created for myself. Thanks Steam Sales and Boxing Day.

Gears is a pretty good multiplayer game overall, so comparatively yes it sticks out as a massive eyesore. The range is that bad and unjustified when it connects, I scoff every time, and am further shocked when people used to defend it as being acceptable when this thread was more active. The range is extraneous and because of the slight chance of a snipe shot it gives the Gnasher more presence and range than it needs, making it extraneous really.

On that, I wish I had more time to play this game MP myself. Bought way too many other games since it's release and as a result I've been neglecting Gears, Forza and even Marvel in favour of churning through this massive backlog I've created for myself. Thanks Steam Sales and Boxing Day.

Fair enough. I guess it's just something that isn't so evident to me, especially when I find myself emptying Gnasher rounds into fleeing enemies that don't drop and think, "well, the range on this thing isn't that great after all".

In keeping with the theme of being different to enzo_gt :), Gears is actually the only game I own right now. Crazy, no?

-PXG-

Now that Rage is done (absolutely shitty game btw) I'm going to get back into Gears. The only thing that will stop me is the Ghost Recon beta coming up and it's subsequent release in March.

Rage is decent. It's not "shit" as you put it. Then again, what are you playing it on. If you're not on PC, you're doing it wrong.

I have noticed that my hammy does stupid damage. I'm not complaining. It didn't really need it, but oh well.

Remember the golden rule:

Gears isn't Gears (thus, it isn't fun) unless there is some kind of bullshit.

Ballistik

Hit 12,000 shotgun kills!

Also, I noticed I've played about 20 matches or so of ranked KOTH stranded and haven't lost a single one! Nobody talks either, not one game have I heard someone communicate.

Brakara

By far the worst part of Gears period. Unfortunately, somehow people still find a way to defend it.

Well, an active hammerburst/lancer is a lot more effective at range than an active gnasher.

(I take it you mean longer range, since the word "snipe" was used.)

At gnasher range, it normally takes 3 shots to down someone, while an active gnasher takes 2 shots. I'd say if an active gnasher is problematic, then all active weapons are problematic. In fact, I wouldn't have problem with a slight nerf on actives in general. But I don't see how anyone would want the gnasher nerfed but keep the hammerburst as it is.

stephen08

Well, an active hammerburst/lancer is a lot more effective at range than an active gnasher.

(I take it you mean longer range, since the word "snipe" was used.)

At gnasher range, it normally takes 3 shots to down someone, while an active gnasher takes 2 shots. I'd say if an active gnasher is problematic, then all active weapons are problematic. In fact, I wouldn't have problem with a slight nerf on actives in general. But I don't see how anyone would want the gnasher nerfed but keep the hammerburst as it is.

I've always felt that active reload should just speed up the reload and not give you a damage boost. It's just another variable in addition to the spread of the bullets and latency/host advantage.

Epic have DEFINITELY fucked up something on their end. 2 in-game freezes within 5 minutes. Ever since Raam's hit, the game has been a menstruating girl.

Epic have DEFINITELY fucked up something on their end. 2 in-game freezes within 5 minutes. Ever since Raam's hit, the game has been a menstruating girl.
Back from holidays spent with the family and it's REALLY discouraging to read about this issue still. Last time I tried to play (December 23rd if I'm not mistaken) the game made my Xbox freeze twice in less than 10 minutes when it had never done such a thing before. Talked about it on the official forums to find out many people were having similar problems. Sad to see Epic haven't bothered acknowledging this and it really turns me off from playing.

I have had about 4 freezes in 2 days playing all weekend always straight after a loading screen playing online solo joining a match, i'll post on the epic forums later when I remember my login. This is before and after owning raams shadow.

Hit 12,000 shotgun kills!

Also, I noticed I've played about 20 matches or so of ranked KOTH stranded and haven't lost a single one! Nobody talks either, not one game have I heard someone communicate.

I heard some kid last night moaning at his parents because he had to go and had only just turned gears on, lol. He was bullshitting saying he was in a league or something though we were in public koth

and damn it I cursed the shotgun, now every match I am playing this afternoon has me 2 downed from a distance or headshot around a blind corner, some people must have stuck a sticker on their screen so hip fire that damn well. active shotgun is broken

USD

I've always felt that active reload should just speed up the reload and not give you a damage boost. It's just another variable in addition to the spread of the bullets and latency/host advantage.
I don't have a problem with the damage boost, but I do think they should ateast cut the amount of time ammo remains active in half.

TRios Zen

Is this the problem:

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/830449-Freezing-profile-at-load-screen

?

I haven't experienced this myself, but if you guys have freezing problems then you should report it at the official forums. The more people reporting it, the more likely Epic is to fix it.

The majority of those seem to be split-screening issues; I never play split-screen and have had the game freeze on me twice Friday night and once yesterday. Right before you get into a MP match or immediately after is starts the game just hangs.

Also dedi's had to have been down this weekend; crazy inconsistent shotgun.

I have re-discovered my love for Gears though, been playing the HELL out of it, last 5 days or so.

quickwhips

been playing the hell out of this game. Gnasher range could use a little tone down other than that its perfect. The real problem is the modified controllers. People pulling out perfect reloads everytime with a controller or rapid firing a hammer burst like a fucking machine gun because of a controller and not skill. If you can do it on your own so be it but you know who it is when you are playing with them on a team or against them. Its such bullshit like the drop shot in cod.

The game has some sort of anti-rapidfire tech. There is a capped maximum rate of fire and it's achievable by humans or something like that.

And PAR isn't hard. It more of a rhythm thing or muscle memory than anything else.

h3ro

I didn't know there was tech mods that allowed for Actives. I know about the modded rapid fire HB abusers, but I've always found getting Actives pretty easy once you get in a rhythm.

quickwhips

PAR aren't hard it's just the fact that a button tap tells it reload and always perfect that is crap. I mean it takes the whole point of having to do it yourself out of the game. I just never thought people on gaf would defend either one of those things...

quickwhips

The game has some sort of anti-rapidfire tech. There is a capped maximum rate of fire and it's achievable by humans or something like that.

And PAR isn't hard. It more of a rhythm thing or muscle memory than anything else.

Yes and how long can you keep it going though? Through your whole clip every time? Because they can...because of a controller. I've just seen so many lately its weird but I guess people ask for that sorta stuff for Christmas maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom