• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been away from this game for a while.
I remember there was a temporary hardcore playlist that buffed weapons or lowered health that made shotguns irrelevant.

Has it been brought back in any way?

cresto

Hit 12,000 shotgun kills!

Also, I noticed I've played about 20 matches or so of ranked KOTH stranded and haven't lost a single one! Nobody talks either, not one game have I heard someone communicate.

I tried doing ranked stranded KOTH, but it took so long to find a match I just cancelled it. Boooo

Lunchbox

Banned
The game has some sort of anti-rapidfire tech. There is a capped maximum rate of fire and it's achievable by humans or something like that.

And PAR isn't hard. It more of a rhythm thing or muscle memory than anything else.

a cap on the maximum amount of presses does not matter. because a turbo controller only has to reach or stay 1 step below the max.....and STAY there forever. how are you going to keep that rate up with regular human fingers? (plus getting auto active reloads on top of that) its not about breaking the speed limit, its staying at the limit for extended periods. thats why you see team of 5 golden shower hammerbursts in ranked matches so often

Bungie solved it with their bullet spread where the first shot is dead center, the second one right after without any cool down is a bit off center, third a bit more and it gets more and more innacurate as you put more pressure on your gun. And the BR was a burst weapon too so turbo did not help that. COD is full of them, but in that game you die in 1-2 bullets, plus its dominated with full auto weapons so its more about who sees who first anyways

but of course epic doesnt even give a shit or realize that its even a problem cause they dont even play their game. maps like overpass wouldnt exist if they did

Ballistik

I don't really know about this whole issue regarding modded controllers. I always feel people can really just shoot that fast because I always get accused of having one. And I know I can't be the fastest fingers out there.. If I do lose a hammerburst shootout, I never honestly get downed without managing to put 4-5 shots in them. Hard to tell, in my opinion, if moddded controllers are actually an issue.

USD

The game has some sort of anti-rapidfire tech. There is a capped maximum rate of fire and it's achievable by humans or something like that.

And PAR isn't hard. It more of a rhythm thing or muscle memory than anything else.

On this note, is the max rate different for the Hammerburst and the Snub? I've found I often have to intentionally slow my shots with the pistol, because when I try to shoot it like the Hammerburst, I end up with stutters instead of a smooth rhythm.

Ballistik

On this note, is the max rate different for the Hammerburst and the Snub? I've found I often have to intentionally slow my shots with the pistol, because when I try to shoot it like the Hammerburst, I end up with stutters instead of a smooth rhythm.

Oh wow I noticed this too but never thought about that! Now it makes sense why I kept complaining that I would try to shoot my pistol and not every shot would fire at my pace. It's actually really noticeable.

Is this the problem:

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/830449-Freezing-profile-at-load-screen

?

I haven't experienced this myself, but if you guys have freezing problems then you should report it at the official forums. The more people reporting it, the more likely Epic is to fix it.

Narrrrr. My freezes have been 100% been during TDM matches at completely random times. The game will just lock up; I can press the power button 5 or 6 times before it'll action anything. I finished up the night with 3 freezes in total.

There seems to be a correllation between freezes and playing awesomely. I was killing it last night, yet other times, when I just can't find my chi, the game will run flawlessly! "C'mon, bro! One more round! You'll dominate this time, I promise; you won't even rage once. I'm your beloved Gears. I'd never lie to you, dawg!"

Smug, conniving bastard.

The first chapter, the prologue one, is the only one keeping me from the co-op achievement, if anyone wants to play through it real quick later I'd appreciate it. And then whatever after that. GT is Dinner Cat, I'll be on right around 11 PST tonight.

-PXG-

Fenix Rising a week from tomorrow.

OH GOD! OH MAN! OH GOD! OH MAN! OH GOD! OH MAN

Let's see if Season Pass holders get fucked again.

I only win like 1 in 10 chainsaw duels even though I feel like I am trying my best, I think it can be rather easy to spot turbo control users, it turns the snub into a long range beast too.

the Hammerburst was always the best in gears 1 with the burst fire, it's a shame epic changed it for 2 and 3.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Rage is decent. It's not "shit" as you put it. Then again, what are you playing it on. If you're not on PC, you're doing it wrong.

I have noticed that my hammy does stupid damage. I'm not complaining. It didn't really need it, but oh well.

Remember the golden rule:

Gears isn't Gears (thus, it isn't fun) unless there is some kind of bullshit.

Oh, yeah, it's great if you like short meaningless stories with bullshit endings, backtracking through the same levels over and over again, and pointless vehicle combat.

Eh, can't get excited at this point. It's cool that it's coming out, assuming we don't get "fucked" again, but it's to be expected if (when) we do.

RAAM's shadow (haven't even been able to finish it) was a bore fest. Hopefully the new MP maps aren't shit.

Hmm. I'm fairly certain Rod tweeted recently that Season Pass holders would be getting Academy, Anvil and half of Escalation PLUS twice the amount of freezes/lock-ups at no extra cost. The remainder of the maps are obtained via Jack in the Box.

Also, Cliffy gets to bed your wife/girlfriend every time you stun yourself with your own ink grenade.

Also, they're removing the Lancer, then patching it back in 2013.

Pretty gutted I didn't go the Season Pass route, tbh.

Robot Pants

Hmm. I'm fairly certain Rod tweeted recently that Season Pass holders would be getting Academy, Anvil and half of Escalation PLUS twice the amount of freezes/lock-ups at no extra cost. The remainder of the maps are obtained via Jack in the Box.

Also, Cliffy gets to bed your wife/girlfriend every time you stun yourself with your own ink grenade.

Also, they're removing the Lancer, then patching it back in 2013.

Pretty gutted I didn't go the Season Pass route, tbh.

I approve of this post.

Brakara

What's up with the season pass?

Nothing. Although for the first two DLCs, the season pass holders had to wait a couple of hours to download them.

It's pretty easy though, if you want the first 4 DLCs, then get the season pass. Hell, if you only want 3 of those, then get it too.

I have 2 questions for Hammerburst users....

1. Do you generally bother with active reload? I hear it only saves you one bullet to down someone but it seems to take ages to get to that magic reloading spot. It seems more efficiant to just do a regular, quick reload.

2. I use the Hammerburst all the time in Horde, but find I get RSI up my inner forearm from hammering the trigger rapidly (though I can play for hours on end). Anyone else get this?

Tawpgun

The big problem with active shots is no one knows if your gun is souped up or not until you fire. Even then its not immediately intuitive whether the bullets are active. If only the Gears weapons took cues from bulletstorm and had their guns light up or spout fire or some shit so you could tell. A different sound when firing could help also.

Otherwise I say remove the increased damage effects. Have it be more like the Boltok where it just increases the ROF on some guns. Makes it more accurate on others. Less recoil, etc.

So an active lancer could be more accurate. Gnasher could have a faster ROF. Hammerburst could have...not sure. Retro could have less kick. Sawed Off... fuck the sawed off. Sniper could have a faster ROF. Boltok is fine. Snub... not sure, and so on.

Addnan

Man up rule is gone :D

A new Title Update for Gears of War 3 will be available January 11, 2012 and will be downloaded automatically by starting Gears 3 while connected to Xbox LIVE. The update will include a variety of balance tweaks, bug fixes and more. Here’s a sneak peek at some of what you can expect to see:

Improvements

1. All unlockable and non-purchasable characters are unlocked for System Link play. Online play still limits players to characters that they have unlocked or have purchased through DLC.

2. “Classic” stalemates are now enabled on the Execution and Warzone playlist. An option exists in private Execution to disable classic stalemates and re-enable the man-up rule.

3. The ghost camera can be raised and lowered using the Xbox controller d-pad.

4. “Must Active Reload” mutator has been made more restrictive. Issues with the Torque Bow and OneShot have been fixed.

5. “Retribution” ribbon is now compatible with dedicated servers.

6. Holding the “Y” button before being in range of a DBNO player and then walking into activation range will start the execution sequence. This is similar to holding “X” to queue up a weapon pickup sequence when walking into range of a dropped weapon.

Exploit Fixes

1. Removed Hammerburst and Longshot exploits with using the iron-sights/scope on Mercy where a player could shoot from a concealed position near the Sanctuary bells. Damage will not register when players are using the scope or iron-sights from that concealed position.

2. Fixed the OneShot exploit on Drydock. Players will be pulled out of the OneShot mounted pose when in certain positions.

General Fixes

1. A second player signing in on the loading screen before entering the pre-game lobby will no longer cause profile issues.

2. The transition from spectator player view to ghost camera view will no longer force the ghost camera view to point upwards.

3. The map cycle in QuickMatch is now randomly ordered.

4. DLC that is not owned by the current player will no longer stop the player from using DLC they do own.

5. Horde will no longer use the Versus weapon swaps. Horde players will have Hammer of Dawn and Mortar spawns on Overpass again.

6. Fixed the lens flare on a scoped Longshot not appearing for a player facing left.

7. Xbox system notifications have been moved out of the way of kill messages in competitive multiplayer. They now show up in the top center of the screen.

mernst23

Dear whoever from epic still reads this:

To fix overpass, cut a hole underneath the center and put in an elevator that opens on the upper level behind the assholes camping, added bonus you can flank the power weapon without having to run a quarter mile around the god damned map.

Also, when does DLC3 come out, 17th?

i'm assuming we'll be getting double xp this weekend, since prestige mode is coming on Tuesday??? Hope so, cause getting from 90 to 100 is a serious chore.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Dear whoever from epic still reads this:

To fix overpass, cut a hole underneath the center and put in an elevator that opens on the upper level behind the assholes camping, added bonus you can flank the power weapon without having to run a quarter mile around the god damned map.

Also, when does DLC3 come out, 17th?

yeah, 17th.

18th if you have the season pass.

Nothing. Although for the first two DLCs, the season pass holders had to wait a couple of hours to download them.

It's pretty easy though, if you want the first 4 DLCs, then get the season pass. Hell, if you only want 3 of those, then get it too.

Alright, cool. I still sort of hesitate to get it just because the cost really adds up, and if there's going to be a second "season" of DLC I'd rather just move on and start playing something else than end up paying $100 for DLC. I'm kind of on the fence about paying for it anyway, the Horde mode especially really seems like something that should have been included in the game in the first place or a free download. RAAM's Shadow looks pretty great, but I just got a 360 after not having a console for a couple years, so paying $15 for a 3 hour campaign seems dumb when there's a large selection of awesome games I've missed out on that cost right around that on Amazon.

On the other hand, I'm liking Gears far more than I was expecting I would.

I sent a friend request to Gears 3 GAF 4 a couple days ago, are people still pretty active in that? And is there anyone here who likes playing Arcade campaign? I love stuff that mixes cooperative objectives with competitive stuff, like Zelda Four Swords, and Arcade is really fun to me. Playing with randoms on Live has been surprising fun, maybe I'm just getting lucky but I've played with more adults than trash-talking kids. For some reason whenever I get into a good game everyone will want to quit after just a couple chapters or so, so if anyone here is into the mode I'm interested in getting some games together.

nel e nel

Fair enough. I guess it's just something that isn't so evident to me, especially when I find myself emptying Gnasher rounds into fleeing enemies that don't drop and think, "well, the range on this thing isn't that great after all".

In keeping with the theme of being different to enzo_gt :), Gears is actually the only game I own right now. Crazy, no?

I'm inclined to agree with the gnasher's range complaint, especially in light of how much wreck the sawed off caught/catches. But to be fair, it really only bothers me when I'm losing alot. Go figure. ;)

Also, I applaud your spartan gaming lifestyle. I only keep 3 franchises (Mass Effect, Gears, L4D) and whatever flavor of the month I'm currently playing. Right now: Skyrim, Catherine & Too Human.

USD

6. Holding the “Y” button before being in range of a DBNO player and then walking into activation range will start the execution sequence. This is similar to holding “X” to queue up a weapon pickup sequence when walking into range of a dropped weapon.
I was hoping for this, nice. It's hilarious to see some players taking an extra 5 seconds just to execute me. I used the alternate control scheme though, which puts executions on Right Stick click, so it's usually less of an issue for me.

malfcn

Stranded was a little better. But the detection seems to be worse with damage. Point-blank active shots of Gnasher still are hit or miss for me.

mernst23

I was hoping for this, nice. It's hilarious to see some players taking an extra 5 seconds just to execute me. I used the alternate control scheme though, which puts executions on Right Stick click, so it's usually less of an issue for me.

Speaking of screwing up an execution. Is there any way to disable the "view event using Y" indication, I can't tell you how many times im about to execute and I press the Y slightly too early and i pan to a downed teammate, it's a pain in the ass.

malfcn

LOL at Stranded playlist still stacking teams of all lvl100s against 60s.

And nearly full-clip of Lancer loses to 2 Gnasher (non-active) shots 15 feet away?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I like the little changes like the Quick Match cycle being random now, and the Man-Up rule going, although I was already used to it by now.

The big problem with active shots is no one knows if your gun is souped up or not until you fire. Even then its not immediately intuitive whether the bullets are active. If only the Gears weapons took cues from bulletstorm and had their guns light up or spout fire or some shit so you could tell. A different sound when firing could help also.

Otherwise I say remove the increased damage effects. Have it be more like the Boltok where it just increases the ROF on some guns. Makes it more accurate on others. Less recoil, etc.

So an active lancer could be more accurate. Gnasher could have a faster ROF. Hammerburst could have...not sure. Retro could have less kick. Sawed Off... fuck the sawed off. Sniper could have a faster ROF. Boltok is fine. Snub... not sure, and so on.

All those things don't make too much sense in the way that they transform the way the gun works - I know that perfect reloads giving more damage also doesn't really fall into some sort of reality, but it still makes more sense than a gun being able to shoot faster because of that.

TRios Zen

Nice. Got sick and tired of playing Overpass followed by Sandbar.

Agreed, plus, I would never play overpass, just back out and try again. Winning or losing on that map is pure crap. I hate sitting up there and lancer-ing down the unwashed masses as much as I hate trying to advance up against it.

Random is good I think.

TRios Zen

well, what is it?

Man Up is the rule that the team with the fewest players loses a match when time expires. So if it was 5 v 1, the 1 would have to "man up" and take them all on as there would not be a draw at the end of regulation time.

I kind of like the rule, but isn't a deal breaker either way IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom