• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rad fixes, particularly the Y button execution tweak, BUT I am disappoint to not see a fix for Longshot zooms that don't correlate, i.e. when you're aiming at the hip and subsequently zoom in, the scope will zero in on a completely different area.

You guys get this, right?

EDIT: hard-aiming -> zoom, rather.

2San

Rad fixes, particularly the Y button execution tweak, BUT I am disappoint to not see a fix for Longshot zooms that don't correlate, i.e. when you're aiming at the hip and subsequently zoom in, the scope will zero in on a completely different area.

Yeah, I get this as well. I can remember it wasn't always like this. Since I can remember getting some headshots here and there even when accidentally pressing the right stick(it's a weird habit I have).

malfcn

EDIT: hard-aiming -> zoom, rather.

I have that complaint (not a great sniper, but hard to learn when it's inconsistent), as well as others. But guess it wasn't important enough.

ugh the more I play the more I get pissed off at the shotgun and actives on it, so many bullshit moments where I feel like i'm being instagibbed from too far away, lag related too and i'm not on a shitty connection here. Are there actually any uk dedicated?

Also people who spin 180 and headshot you out of no where, ugh that shotgun is terrible.

TRios Zen

Servers down last night I wonder? "played" 5 different matches and each were competitively un-balanced; opposing team were bullet sponges who could one shot kill you from a mile away. Wasn't really rage when I quit, but disappointment - I'm really in a gears groove right now.

Also had a friend who could not get gears to start up at all; every time it hit the "loading profile" part, it would freeze up his 360. He tried clearing his cache, uninstalling then re-installing to hard-drive, etc. and nothing worked. Hopefully something in TU3 will fix whatever the problem is.

Plasmid

The Fenix rising achievements just popped up for me, both on gears and my xbox guide, didn't recognize it at first.

if i get all the combat ribbons (if possible) before fenix rising, does the achievement unlock?

mernst23

Speaking of seriously 3.0, I got onyx number 40 (6000 explosive kills) yesterday and now have at least all silver medals. Not bad for someone who only plays 8-12 hours a week.

I should get number 41 today which is going to be the kill 1000 people while having a meatshield.

Lunchbox

Banned
i got a extra infected omen pack code from the gears controller. if anyone wants to trade anything for it just send a pm. dont care about weapons skins much so im up for anything

I would actually buy DLC that removes Overpass from rotation. I'm thinking "Over Overpass", "I'dratherpass" or something equally as MAGNIFICENT (lame) from a marketing perspective.

Lima

What happened with Seriously 3.0? Did you unlock it? I remember you were trying to get it by the end of last year.

Yeah that didn't turn out so well. Got sidetracked with a lot of other games. I'm only missing like 6 medals though (one is for playing 3k wingman matches uggh) so I should get it pretty soon. I'm ready to go back to gears starting next week with Fenix Rising.

For TU4 epic needs to add in a active reload check for modders, if the reload is exactly the same time frame constantly then jam their gun for 5 minutes or something, not even finger reaction could get it spot on if you use a large value where 0 is the start of the reload bar and 10,000 being the end of it.

Please do this epic, since i've read some stuff on the gears 3 forums it's become rather more noticeable when people online do so while they wall dive, spin and roll everywhere non stop with constant shotgun perfect reloads and such.

I would actually buy DLC that removes Overpass from rotation. I'm thinking "Over Overpass", "I'dratherpass" or something equally as MAGNIFICENT (lame) from a marketing perspective.

Overpass is so annoying, a good team or pair can dominate rather hard from the top no matter what you do, I usually lob nades up there or if I see someone else running in, join them in the rush.

Overpass is so annoying, a good team or pair can dominate rather hard from the top no matter what you do, I usually lob nades up there or if I see someone else running in, join them in the rush.

It's just shit. It promotes a seriously lame way of playing, i.e. relentless and suppressive rifle fire; some people just love to play Gears that way and for that, I hate them. It's so fantastic nailing a group of them with the Boomshot from below as they stand there hammering down on your stupid teammates. You can just picture their contorted faces, asking themselves what the fuck just happened.

This is why I'm always happy to fan the 'shotgun-centric' flames :).

Lunchbox

Banned
It's just shit. It promotes a seriously lame way of playing, i.e. relentless and suppressive rifle fire; some people just love to play Gears that way and for that, I hate them.

youre hating on CliffyB's vision now

that map is what he has been dreaming off since gears 1

youre hating on CliffyB's vision now

that map is what he has been dreaming off since gears 1

Hmm. Not sure if serious... Seriously. I'm really not worded up on the history/evolution of Gears as a franchise.

EDIT. Well, apart from the basics, i.e. went to total poo with 2, returned to form and blossomed with 3.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

You've just discovered a new revenue stream.

DLC that removes features

when somebody actually does this I'll know who to blame

You've just discovered a new revenue stream.

DLC that removes features

when somebody actually does this I'll know who to blame

Copyright.

I'm also toying with the idea of a Season Pass that not only removes poor design choices, but prevents future "patches" and "fixes" from ever being installed. On top of that - and bare with me here - non-skins. I've only one colour so far, though: transparent. Fancy.

Shall I approach Epic/Microsoft?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
It's just shit. It promotes a seriously lame way of playing, i.e. relentless and suppressive rifle fire;
Seriously. I hate this style of play. It's not fun at all. What the fuck do people think Epic created shittons of executions for? Just for shits and giggles? CQC is Gears.

Seriously. I hate this style of play. It's not fun at all. What the fuck do people think Epic created shittons of executions for? Just for shits and giggles? CQC is Gears.

LOL. Bro. What the fruit are you even on about? Gears is about roadie-running 3, maybe 4 metres out of spawn, picking a spot where not even God can see you and watching the power weapon pickups like a hawk. Then, when all those spaztards who use Longshots and Boomshots (lol, idiots) come and pick up their precious weapons, you Hammerburst them in the face and SNUB them to death. That is Gears.

Anyway, word on the street is that the only reason executions are in the game is because the woman responsible for their implementation bribed Epic after Rod and Cliffy offered to double-team her. True story.

EDIT: Apologies for the thread-rape, too. Slow day at work and Gaf is one of the very few accessible sites/forums.

Nori Chan

i got a extra infected omen pack code from the gears controller. if anyone wants to trade anything for it just send a pm. dont care about weapons skins much so im up for anything

youre a patriot fans

and i remember you asked for my green liquid skin so ill give it to you for free but ill do it tomorrow k?

whitehawk

Banned
You know what they need to change?

Ranked games should have a microphone requirement. No seems to have a microphone these days, it's really annoying. None of my friends play Gears anymore so I just hope to get lucky with someone who likes to talk. It should be required ESPECIALLY for ranked wingman.

cresto

You know what they need to change?

Ranked games should have a microphone requirement. No seems to have a microphone these days, it's really annoying. None of my friends play Gears anymore so I just hope to get lucky with someone who likes to talk. It should be required ESPECIALLY for ranked wingman.

This is a problem with most games on xbox live. Nobody thinks about communicating unless you have a friends to play with. Its annoying as all hell to be basically talking to yourself because even if you try to direct them to a certain objective or to cover you, they completely ignore you and just steal your downed kills. Its not going to change. Only solution is to get on a PC and join a clan. I love seeing clans in gears because they are so serious about going up against randoms. Truely sad stuff

whitehawk

Banned
This is a problem with most games on xbox live. Nobody thinks about communicating unless you have a friends to play with. Its annoying as all hell to be basically talking to yourself because even if you try to direct them to a certain objective or to cover you, they completely ignore you and just steal your downed kills. Its not going to change. Only solution is to get on a PC and join a clan. I love seeing clans in gears because they are so serious about going up against randoms. Truely sad stuff
There is a solution, exactly what I suggested. Modern Warfare 2 did a smilar thing by not allowing party chat in certain playlists. I think it's very reasonable to have a microphone requirement for ranked matches.

Ranked = Full matches, no bots, heavy communication.
Quick Match = Chill gaming, often bots, light communication.

Come on Epic! At least make that experimental playlist you're doing require mics. Or how about this. I remember in Crackdown 1, when finding an online game it would ask what kind of players you like. Quiet players or talkative players. So perhaps you could ask our preference?

cresto

There is a solution, exactly what I suggested. Modern Warfare 2 did a smilar thing by not allowing party chat in certain playlists. I think it's very reasonable to have a microphone requirement for ranked matches.

Ranked = Full matches, no bots, heavy communication.
Quick Match = Chill gaming, often bots, light communication.

Come on Epic! At least make that experimental playlist you're doing require mics. Or how about this. I remember in Crackdown 1, when finding an online game it would ask what kind of players you like. Quiet players or talkative players. So perhaps you could ask our preference?

The lack of party chat doesn't promote communication. I've played those playlists and the majority of the time its the same as usual. There is no real good solution that i've seen yet. Most people don't like talking i guess. I like the idea of doing that, but it won't ever happen in gears. Is there even a way to tell if people have mic's through the game?

Two questions; Can you mix local and online players in Horde?

Second, what's the best Command pack map to play Horde on? Going to play with some friends tonight. I've finished Horde on Overpass previously but haven't really checked out any of the Command Pack maps yet. What do you recommend?

Brakara

Two questions; Can you mix local and online players in Horde?

Second, what's the best Command pack map to play Horde on? Going to play with some friends tonight. I've finished Horde on Overpass previously but haven't really checked out any of the Command Pack maps yet. What do you recommend?

1. You mean split-screen and others? Yes.

2. Azura and Blood Drive. Clocktower is also okay, but stay clear of Bullet Marsh and Rustlung (unless you want a challenge).

damn active gnashers, just had some teams which would do nothing but shotgun, storm in through our gunfire and 2 hit us down, always with an active reload. I still stand by the gnasher actives being totally broken and ruin the game for what it is.

I'm also rather sure that I keep getting thrown into peer 2 peer matches, I see a guy, roll out of the way yet get gibbed in the original spot I was standing in a moment later, everyone else seems to be able to roll out of the way of my shots so why do I have to suffer :/ also the characters talk a lot and from what I have read that means it's not on a server, ugh.

Why is this game so annoying yet fun at the same time.

Moofers

Any other dedicated Horde players here?

I have a group I play with regularly and we got up to the top 100 for Horde on Clocktower. Our score has dipped a bit since then (200 now I think) but now I'm all about climbing those boards on all my favorite maps.

Its funny. I've loved Horde since Day 1 of Gears 2. I haven't been competitive about a game since Quake III on the Dreamcast (top 10 ladder player here) and I never thought I'd get that way about a game again. Now here I am, thinking up ways to get our score as high as possible to claim those top spots.

Also, I wish Horde players got more respect. We're like the red-headed stepchildren of the Gears community and I don't understand why. Motherfuckers in VS games constantly talk shit about my "Horde Master" title and most of them have never passed Wave 50 on Normal. Guess the whole wall-bouncing shotgun thing doesn't work so well against bots with impeccable aim, huh?

TRios Zen

Ran into two different teams using the Hammerburst/SOS combo last night. Funny how every member of those teams had the fastest trigger fingers ever...

Regardless, I think servers were up last night (characters were pretty quiet), but still seemed to be at least one guy on the opposing team that was just a pure bullet sponge. Still, managed to win multiple matches and plenty of fun to be had.

I've found that unlike other Gears games, how the opposing team is loaded out, can often make you change your approach to be competitive. That is, my standard starting weapons are always Lancer/Gnasher, but yesterday for different maps against those hammy teams I had to switch to Retro or HB and SOS to pull out the win.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
How about a ribbon awarding XP for using your mic in a match? I'm sure people could just turn their mic on and then say something and turn it off, but once you speak you may as well keep going. Most of the time when I'm playing solo, if I don't talk it's because I don't feel like finding/getting my mic at the particular moment when i find a game.

People sure do love their medals...

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Managed too do Horde 1-50 in a random game, our final boss wave was Gunkers, which made it a breeze.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The lack of party chat doesn't promote communication. I've played those playlists and the majority of the time its the same as usual. There is no real good solution that i've seen yet. Most people don't like talking i guess. I like the idea of doing that, but it won't ever happen in gears. Is there even a way to tell if people have mic's through the game?

it's not that they don't like talking. it's that the assholes who hide behind the anonymity of the internet killed any reason for them to want to talk.

Back when XBL was new everyone talked. Even in Ghost Recon where you had to push the white button to talk.

whitehawk

Banned
it's not that they don't like talking. it's that the assholes who hide behind the anonymity of the internet killed any reason for them to want to talk.

Back when XBL was new everyone talked. Even in Ghost Recon where you had to push the white button to talk.
Maybe people have just lost their headsets that they got back in 2006 and can't bother to get another one.

TRios Zen

Sad but true. 90% of my friends online are friends I made on Live playing gears because people DID talk back then.

zlatko

Banned
Sad but true. 90% of my friends online are friends I made on Live playing gears because people DID talk back then.

Amen brother. Once party chat hit, boom, no more friends being made.

Party chat killed a great deal of online socialness in MP gaming. I wish they would have thought of a middle ground solution, like bonus exp/points in your game at the end of matches if you had yourself in game chat instead of party.

At this point it's up to developers to try and change things. :(

lush

Why is this game so annoying yet fun at the same time.
That is Gears to me. Never played the first but I played the hell out of Gears of War 2 even though I can straight up say that game was/is a broken, inconsistent piece of garbage. I played for those moments where the game worked and it just clicked for me, there isn't anything else like Gears.

It's a special game. Sudden death, a ridiculous quad, just straight up tense games that I actually care about.

Then you get some shit-tastic games filled with the SOS and bullet sponges and ridiculous host advantage. You will get frustrated, possibly scream and/or ragequit. But in my case, I'm always back for more.

lush

Wait, there's actually a fire extinguisher on Checkout? I laughed when I saw someone using it. Where is it?

Press X to set off one of the three fire alarms on the map, there's one on the opposite wall from the door. Door opens, shoot/melee the box till it breaks. Fire extinguisher.

2-22.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom