• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

cresto

Yeah that didn't work, multiple times, had to reset my router.

Did that help? What a mess, epic. Why can't they ever get these releases right?

Edit: Is the new DLC crapping out anyone's wireless? I keep dropping my connection. I have the dualband wireless adapter and havent had any trouble to speak of lately. Just thanks to this stupid DLC...

TRios Zen

Yeah that didn't work, multiple times, had to reset my router.

What is this party glitch I hear you speak of?

Dang there are some beastly players here, need to follow some folk around in ghost cam and see what I'm doing wrong. Some nights I feel like my gnasher is shooting hot molten death; other nights (like last night) I feel like I'm shooting marshmallows. Damn the inconsistency - and my lack of desire to play anything else.

Any quick map impressions? The DLC came out at around 10.30PM for us Aussies, so I gots no playtime!

What's the best?
What are they similar to?
I'm new to Escalation; is it as seemingly unbalanced as it looks?
Are they all actually really fucking big?

Damn the inconsistency - and my lack of desire to play anything else.

Seriously. How fucking ridiculous is this? Gears has killed my desire to play any other game. Battlefield 3? Thinking about Gears. MW3? Thinking about Gears (or any other NOT SHIT game, for that matter). Sexy time? Thinking about sexy time and Gears.

Any quick map impressions? The DLC came out at around 10.30PM for us Aussies, so I gots no playtime!

What's the best?
What are they similar to?
I'm new to Escalation; is it as seemingly unbalanced as it looks?
Are they all actually really fucking big?

I like the slab. couple open central areas with many paths on the sides.
Escalation seems like it actually favors the bottom spawn. 2 snipes and a digger? ouch.
Most of them are very big.

seems like many people are having that xbl party glitch. It was happening to me trying to get into StayFrosty. Backing out to the title screen only works if i load up a regular TDM quickmatch, it still fucks up if I try the new playlists.

anyone else think the versus screen is a big clusterfuck now? execution/warzone is combined, nobody plays Alpha anymore, a permanent experimental game mode in StayFrosty and top it off with the weekly game modes. so much for trying to consolidate

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
seems like many people are having that xbl party glitch. It was happening to me trying to get into StayFrosty. Backing out to the title screen only works if i load up a regular TDM quickmatch, it still fucks up if I try the new playlists.

anyone else think the versus screen is a big clusterfuck now? execution/warzone is combined, nobody plays Alpha anymore, a permanent experimental game mode in StayFrosty and top it off with the weekly game modes. so much for trying to consolidate

I really don't know why they don't make Stranded permanent instead of making crap like "stay frosty."

A game like this turns the solo player off because of stacked teams. people would be more likely to play if they knew they could get on by themselves and play with other randoms.

~1270 playing TDM in my region, that's much higher then the regular 250-600 it's been for the last 2 weeks.

Same here. For future Gears games I really hope they get rid of the perfect active reload power boost. Getting a faster reload is a reward in itself, and that should be enough.

A power boost is ok when it's minor, active gnasher is like 80% more range and 60% more power PER SHOT, who thought that was a good design choice?

Give the gnasher 10% more power and 10% more range for an active as a reward, not turn it into the go-to weapon of choice.

malfcn

I haven't played in about a month, but what the fuck. In the last day or two that I have played everything is one shot and you're dead. Meanwhile, my bullets continue to do absolutely nothing.

One match I am a fucking champ, beasting. Next match I am a puss, and they body every shot.

I just mantle kicked someone and stood inside them. Then they shot and I died. O>O

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't even been able to join a game tonight.

It just keeps throwing me back to the lobby telling me to change my party to an xbox enabled party or something. rebooted, same shit, gave up.

I haven't even been able to join a game tonight.

It just keeps throwing me back to the lobby telling me to change my party to an xbox enabled party or something. rebooted, same shit, gave up.

Yeah it's some problem with the new map pack it seems, about 1 in 3 attempts to join a game will do that to me.

Rolling in general is a sure fire way to get bodied.

I rolled out of the way of someone but was gibbed anyway, thing is I was already finishing the roll before my body turned into jam back where I was so there was some lengthy latency involved. Normally that gap is smallish.

I know lag when I see it son :p

malfcn

Since my Gnasher only shoots marshmallow now, I've gone back to the Sawed-Off. I'll troll for awhile, and hope the detections get better.

The Re-Up skins are kind of ass. Here are all 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9C28Y7WKA50
At least, they don't look cool on Youtube. They may look better on an HDTV.

Just came up with an interesting idea. It is too late, but maybe a future Gears (or IP query to ponder)..
$10 for Dedicated servers. A one-time fee, and you get dedicated servers.
If you are casual, you buy the game and get to play with other casuals.
If you are serious, you buy the game and $10 pass to play with more hardcore players with better connections.
The flip side is, when the servers don't work (like Gears suffers from), prepare for the fallout.
Would you pay the extra $10 to have dedicated servers, and let the casuals play with themselves?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Just came up with an interesting idea. It is too late, but maybe a future Gears (or IP query to ponder)..
$10 for Dedicated servers. A one-time fee, and you get dedicated servers.
If you are casual, you buy the game and get to play with other casuals.
If you are serious, you buy the game and $10 pass to play with more hardcore players with better connections.
The flip side is, when the servers don't work (like Gears suffers from), prepare for the fallout.
Would you pay the extra $10 to have dedicated servers, and let the casuals play with themselves?

stop giving them ideas.

this game simply doesn't work without dedicated servers so it should be (and is) part of the cost.

Montresor

I'm trying to back up my player data and campaign data files. My gamertag is on the hard drive, as are my player data and campaign data files. I'm trying to copy the player and campaign data onto a USB (and this USB has already been configured to work with the 360).

The console will not let me copy either the player data or the campaign data. It says "You cannot transfer these files" or something along those lines. If I try to copy the Aaron Griffin DLC (from Facebook) onto my USB, it works.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm trying to back up my player data and campaign data files. My gamertag is on the hard drive, as are my player data and campaign data files. I'm trying to copy the player and campaign data onto a USB (and this USB has already been configured to work with the 360).

The console will not let me copy either the player data or the campaign data. It says "You cannot transfer these files" or something along those lines. If I try to copy the Aaron Griffin DLC (from Facebook) onto my USB, it works.

What am I doing wrong?

I have been lucky enough to never have my stats reset in gears2 or 3 but i wanted to make a back up anyway so I went ahead and backed up my gears3 files on CloudStorage. I know its not exactly what your looking for but it might help out out.

the RESET & BACKUP thread was created by Thievius Sisko on the Epic forums are is very nicely done. videos and text. all you'll probably need

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

What am I doing wrong?

The Gears 3 saves are the kind of saves that can't be copied, so you have to do an easy work-around to duplicate them as maxcer0081 posted above me - his link will explain everything you need to know, it's easy, and you can do with the cloud saving as well.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No way. I think all the new skins look pretty cool actually. I was pleasantly suprized as I expected at least one dud.

The third one is definitely ass. The crimson omen would have been cool if the gun itself was another color (like the gold omen).

The only "ok" one is the gold plasma, and even that one isn't as good as some of the ones already out.

stop giving them ideas.

this game simply doesn't work without dedicated servers so it should be (and is) part of the cost.

That's the thing. MASSIVE respect/props/thanks to Epic for providing dedis, but at the same time, we all know how this game is when the servers are down and so do Epic; it was an inevitable and necessary implementation. I'm just appreciative that Epic care enough about their product/have the finances to take such measures.

SERVERS TO THE END.

EDIT: why is it that Gears is so lame when played P2P? Is it the nature of its mechanics? I mean, a game like CoD is, more or less, a point and click affair - and yes, so is Gears - but you can do more "stuff" in the latter; meat-shields, executions, cover mechanic, melee, tagging, etc. Is that why? Is it just more difficult to achieve a robust netcode to do this shit, or do Epic just suck?

Montresor

I have been lucky enough to never have my stats reset in gears2 or 3 but i wanted to make a back up anyway so I went ahead and backed up my gears3 files on CloudStorage. I know its not exactly what your looking for but it might help out out.

the RESET & BACKUP thread was created by Thievius Sisko on the Epic forums are is very nicely done. videos and text. all you'll probably need

The Gears 3 saves are the kind of saves that can't be copied, so you have to do an easy work-around to duplicate them as maxcer0081 posted above me - his link will explain everything you need to know, it's easy, and you can do with the cloud saving as well.

Thanks guys, I'll check it out.

Also, damn damn, I kind of feel dumb for not taking advantage of the ridiculous exploit last weekend... I'm at level 89 right now and I read it's the same as going from level 1 to 53. I could already be at level 100 with little work haha.

Oh well.

I have always fucking hated the active reload shit in Gears MP. Always. At least give me an indicator the bullets that hit me were actively reloaded.

JambiBum

I have always fucking hated the active reload shit in Gears MP. Always. At least give me an indicator the bullets that hit me were actively reloaded.

The bullets turn into god damn lasers. They sound different. Characters make noise when they get actives. There are plenty of indicators that let you know. Be aware of your surroundings.

Played all day today. Only taking a break now to watch Justified. Played on all of the new maps except Escalation. Damn thing didn't show up once in matchmaking.

cresto

The bullets turn into god damn lasers. They sound different. Characters make noise when they get actives. There are plenty of indicators that let you know. Be aware of your surroundings.

Played all day today. Only taking a break now to watch Justified. Played on all of the new maps except Escalation. Damn thing didn't show up once in matchmaking.

what mode were you playing mostly?

Ah, man. Came home... Played for half an hour... No problems whatsoever. Had dinner... Went back... Problems up in here again. I thought Gears had mended itself :(.

Holy crap, I am lagging all over the place. Done for the night. Update glitched it up.

Ive had the same probs (but not consistently) since downloading the new DLC.
Sometimes I cant pick up weapons or climb over/mantle kick barriers, when I get put into a dodgy game.
My guy will just shudder like crazy when he's hiding behind cover too.

Brakara

I don't want to give them more ideas. But I would like more room on the servers, so they aren't crowded and bogged down.

To be fair, I noticed that yesterday had 4-5 times as many players as previous days (at least in my region). Hopefully, Epic/MS will ramp up the servers a bit in the coming days...

hammerburst ironsight doesn't work on gridlock in some areas, breaks stay frosty a fair bit if you camp up in the end corners and try to shoot at a few different angles or below you.

There seems to be less full games lately too, even with more players online I am always in games with bots, at least 2 of them at all times.

Thanks for the link. I'll try this out right away.

This should be really easy for Epic to fix on their own. Just let the game check if your saved game has a lower level than what's on the servers. If that's the case, have a popup asking if you want to overwrite your local save file with the server save file.

How this shit can still exist after two games is baffling.

EDIT: Wait, you can actually update the local save file by playing one game. So it works as long as the save file isn't corrupted...

Moofers

Love the Stay Frosty playlist. Turns the game into something other than Shotguns McShotgunfest.

Really dig the new maps. The Depths is so cool! And I love what they did with Escalation. Going to have a blast climbing the Horde leaderboards on these.

Love the Stay Frosty playlist. Turns the game into something other than Shotguns McShotgunfest.

Really dig the new maps. The Depths is so cool! And I love what they did with Escalation. Going to have a blast climbing the Horde leaderboards on these.

Ugh, mang. UGH. Tonight, I was met by someone who popped up like a fucking JACK IN THE BOX (lolz) from the incendiary/ink grenade spawn nook on Checkout as I innocently made my way towards the Longshot. Needless to say, he fucked me with what must have been an active'd HB.

And look: yes, I'd probably have done the same thing and yes, it's legitimate enough a move, but I would take getting Gnash-gib'd out of nowhere over that ANYDAY. It's fucking infuriating.

mernst23

Got a solid group together last night and knocked out the beast, horde, and versus achievements for fenix rising and did some of the tougher ribbons from beast and horde. I'm 55 skunk matches away from onyx number 43 so I should get that today or tomorrow. I think I'll have all 65 onyx medals by April 1st. Whether or not I'll have my second set of wings by then is a different question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom