• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moofers

Look, I know that the dedicated "hardcore" VS players love the shotguns, wallbouncing, etc. Personally, I hate that shit. I don't like what it turns firefights into, so that's why I really dig on Stay Frosty. I don't mind getting one-shotted with AR Pistols, because I can do that to somebody else and I can defend from it by moving smartly and playing carefully. Its the shit where some guy goes from cover to cover to cover (without actually taking cover) and then BOOMyou'redead that drives me nuts.

But hey, what do I know? I'm 95% Horde player anyway.

TRios Zen

Seems like it's been 2 or 3 days since I've felt like I was playing on dedicated servers. By that I mean that the strength of my weapons seems comparable to other players and that I'm not getting those "WTF!" moments in every game. Maybe I am just having connection issues though, might be time to reset the old router.

Regardless, I've managed to stay positive (just barely) in just about every match, so it could be worse I guess. Still longing for the days when you can pull the trigger, and not have that millisecond delay that your opponent always seems to fire within.

Too bad the new maps don't come up more often; I only played Slab and Anvil yesterday (played about 10 matches I'd guess); really looking forward to playing in the others.

Brakara

Player's Choice playlist is odd. It really should be Fenix Rising maps only, and not the complete opposite.

Where can I play the maps I paid for, Epic?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Love the Stay Frosty playlist. Turns the game into something other than Shotguns McShotgunfest.

my idea of hell is playing Stay Frosty on Overpass and Hotel over and over

god, what a shit idea for a playlist.

anyway, still can't get into games. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Keeps complaining about my party type even when I'm not in a party. ugh.

Brakara

Look, I know that the dedicated "hardcore" VS players love the shotguns, wallbouncing, etc. Personally, I hate that shit. I don't like what it turns firefights into, so that's why I really dig on Stay Frosty. I don't mind getting one-shotted with AR Pistols, because I can do that to somebody else and I can defend from it by moving smartly and playing carefully. Its the shit where some guy goes from cover to cover to cover (without actually taking cover) and then BOOMyou'redead that drives me nuts.

But hey, what do I know? I'm 95% Horde player anyway.

Hey, I sympathize, but the problem is more with the matchmaking than anything else. I just don't understand why people like to play CoD-style games on maps that aren't designed for it. As I said, when I tried the playlist yesterday, everybody were just camping, and when I tried to move I got shot down immediately.

I'd say taking away shotguns makes CQC pointless, which is the one thing that makes Gears stand apart from any other game in the first place.

And I'm not a hardcore player by any means (Gears 3 is the first Gears I've played more than a few games), but shotgun battles with people at your skill level is actually a lot of fun. And by just spending a few minutes learning about positioning, movement, hipfires and pop shots, you'll be able to improve your game pretty fast. Also, these methods can be practiced in Horde (just run around with your shotgun the first 4-6 waves), although obviously it's not as good as practicing against humans.

Here's some Youtube pointers to get you started:

Gears of War Lessons - Episode #12 - Positioning

Gears of War 3 Gnasher Shotgun Tutorial (Tips/Tricks) By LB

But if you simply don't want to learn, just use the sawed-off.

deviant1

Took a month off from Gears and fired it up yesterday for the new maps. I know I'm rusty as hell (and not very good to begin with), but man the level of bullshit that I experienced in 1.5 hours of playtime was staggering. The new maps are nice though.

- Ran into the party type glitch that wouldn't let me join any gametype. After a few private bot matches on the new maps, I tried again and it worked.

- WTF is with the Gnasher? I'm constantly getting full red/critical hits from players at crazy distances. I also got gibbed by a non-active shot from a good 12+ feet away (I know it was non-active because he just dropped the Oneshot on Drydock as I tried to rush him). Meanwhile, I've put my shotgun practically into opponents and shot 1-2 point blank shots that hasn't even downed them.

- Played a match of KOTH against a full team of Re-upped players already at level 40+ who all used Retro lancers. They were able to down me from full health in 2 shots and I was retro charged several times from like 3 feet away. I was also downed the instant I spawned in this game once, so fucking weird.

- I retrocharged an opponent in the back while he had the gnasher out, and somehow I got frag tagged by him in the process. It wasn't another player as it clearly showed his name on the killscreen and it wasn't a planted frag either.

This game is so rage inducing but I can't put it down.

All I play is pretty much (ranked) KOTH. It keeps the battles flowing across the map instead of camping in one area up top and waiting for them to come out. It utilizes standard map design I'm familiar with, like controlling the power weapons and knowing when they respawn, or knowing the routes to each hill that you need to attack or defend. With good teams, it makes every hill a battle that can shift the game's momentum.

I REALLY love Depths. There's a hill up top where the Oneshot/Mulcher spawns, with two small staircases on each side to get up there. Defending/attacking the hill is like a super-compressed version of Escalation, it has the same philosophy but less camping and more immediate action.

And every time the hill changes, the flow and feel of the map and its battles change, from the initial rush of the Digger area and its elevated platform where everybody throws smokes and hopes for the best, the maze-like interior of the libraries that begs for shotgun play, to the long corridors of the grenade/boomshield area where smart rifle use can make or break a offensive push or a defensive hold.

2real4tv

so... is there a fix for this party glitch thing?

I haven't been able to play the game properly for 2 days.

THIS. Everyone keeps talking about knashers for some reason.

Can someone answer this question:

Do you have to purchase DLC in order to be on dedicated servers?

Ballistik

Well I for one am enjoying the stay frosty playlist. I love the hammerburst.

Yeah I think it's a really good way to keep the gameplay fresh.

I keep thinking every time I'm playing it that this is how Gears would have probably evolved into if the Gnasher had never really been conceived as the weapon that it is now.

JambiBum

THIS. Everyone keeps talking about knashers for some reason.

Can someone answer this question:

Do you have to purchase DLC in order to be on dedicated servers?

YES. It even tells you so when you go to play. The maps are on the servers, so if you don't have the maps then you can't play on the servers.

cresto

Do ranked matches ever end up on servers? If not, thats some bull shit. I'm in the middle of a game and the host dropped. What the fuck, epic...

Brakara

thanks for finding that. I hope it's fixed soon.

I've had it happen a couple of times, but I just changed party setting to local and back to friends only again. Then tried connecting to a quick match (as before) and got in. YMMV of course.

Also, JambiBum, where does it say you have to purchase the DLC to be on dedis?

Montresor

I have been lucky enough to never have my stats reset in gears2 or 3 but i wanted to make a back up anyway so I went ahead and backed up my gears3 files on CloudStorage. I know its not exactly what your looking for but it might help out out.

the RESET & BACKUP thread was created by Thievius Sisko on the Epic forums are is very nicely done. videos and text. all you'll probably need

Well I just read this and now I've got my backup safe and sound on the cloud server.

I'm kind of floored that actually creating a backup required such an elaborate video. It's crazy how Epic, a company that has made one of the best games this gen (Gears 3), also staffs the worst designers and programmers in the business. WHY after two games is this reset issue still so prevalent, and WHY WHY WHY, when they're well aware of the unreliability of their servers and save files, do they make it impossible to copy save files, and force people to jump through hoops and trick the game into making a backup? It's just unreal.

USD

Man, these new maps are humongous. I guess the older ones feel a bit smaller because I know them well. But even then Depths, Anvil and especially Academy are massive. I found Anvil the most annoying though, constant having to circle around to find staircases when I'm expecting a straight path.

Still haven't played The Slab yet.

Ballistik

I've enjoyed all the maps so far. Although most of you think they're really big, I feel they're all the right size. There's open spaces for rifles, and lots of cover for shotgun fights. Really going to add a lot of value to the multiplayer.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
haven't been able to play the new maps between school and lifting. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some energy left to get some games in. The new maps look really nice.

Brakara

I've enjoyed all the maps so far. Although most of you think they're really big, I feel they're all the right size. There's open spaces for rifles, and lots of cover for shotgun fights. Really going to add a lot of value to the multiplayer.

I agree, although I haven't played Anvil yet. However, I seemed to feel a lot more disoriented when I played these new maps, especially compared to when I first played the maps in the previous map pack.

Jaguar

New maps are all really good. Not a fan of Stay Frosty though.

Epic really needs to make a Stranded playlist permanent. Nothing more irritating than 5 randoms on one team vs a party of 4/5.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
YES. It even tells you so when you go to play. The maps are on the servers, so if you don't have the maps then you can't play on the servers.
Wait.. so if you do not buy any DLC all the games you play on stock macks are p2p?

If so, there are no words for how fucking stupid this system is. Wow.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
God, tried to get into some new maps today. No go. Stay Frosty is STUPID, what were they thinking? So glad that Alpha is Execution-only now. When did these playlist changes happen? Also, when did Execution become Warzone/Execution...guess these split playlists are really getting to Epic. They should just scrap CTL and Wingman and have 5 Playlists: Team Deathmatch, King Of The Hill, Warzone/Execution, Stranded, and Alpha-Execution; then have a 6th slot for playlist events when they happen like One Shot One Kill, etc.

I was tired so only stayed on for about 15 minutes. Will get in a long session tomorrow when fresh. Sure to play some new maps.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
God, tried to get into some new maps today. No go. Stay Frosty is STUPID, what were they thinking? So glad that Alpha is Execution-only now. When did these playlist changes happen? Also, when did Execution become Warzone/Execution...guess these split playlists are really getting to Epic. They should just scrap CTL and Wingman and have 5 Playlists: Team Deathmatch, King Of The Hill, Warzone/Execution, Stranded, and Alpha-Execution; then have a 6th slot for playlist events when they happen like One Shot One Kill, etc.

I was tired so only stayed on for about 15 minutes. Will get in a long session tomorrow when fresh. Sure to play some new maps.

IMO they should merge KOTH and CTL just like execution/warzone are merged that would open up for stranded to be permanent.

Ballistik

Why no?

Chances are it will always be KOTH that wins anyway. Just like Warzone/Execution.

I'm hoping PCF have a "merc" playlist from the getgo with their offering.

I guess EPIC feels they're not alienating the Warzone community too much because Execution has a similar premise.. And well Warzone is the lowest in numbers.

Koth and CTL are totally different. There's a larger trade off. We all know Koth will always win, so we're pretty much killing off that mode and anyone who plays it religiously. CTL is slightly more popular than Warzone as well..

If that was what I played, I'd be upset to be constantly trying to out vote Koth just to play my mode. With Warzone, Execution might not necessarily play the same, but it's a close second.

malfcn

Same shit, different night. On Gridlock..stick my head out for a second. Tuck it back in, and like 2 seconds later I go red. Didn't die, but what the fuck man.

I hate my favorite game. :(

I hate raging and sounding like a whiner, but this shit is so sad. I throw a grenade in checkout in the middle of a battle. Lands at 3 Cog feet..guess who dies? Me! Broken, broken broken.

ps: Gnasher 20 feet away through a bench?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I guess EPIC feels they're not alienating the Warzone community too much because Execution has a similar premise.. And well Warzone is the lowest in numbers.

Koth and CTL are totally different. There's a larger trade off. We all know Koth will always win, so we're pretty much killing off that mode and anyone who plays it religiously. CTL is slightly more popular than Warzone as well..

If that was what I played, I'd be upset to be constantly trying to out vote Koth just to play my mode. With Warzone, Execution might not necessarily play the same, but it's a close second.

Yeah, that's true enough.

I wonder how hard it would be for them to simply add another playlist. Or get rid of either "stay frosty" or players choice and get stranded in there for good.

I feel stay frosty will become immensely popular though, kind of like swat for Halo.

2real4tv

Wait.. so if you do not buy any DLC all the games you play on stock macks are p2p?

I am sooo pissed off. At least could have gotten a warning a head of time. I play everyday and to be interrupted with their shitty P2P is ridiculous.

I am surprised their isn't a bigger uproar behind this, also why is the Official Thread embedded in community? It deflates the activity imo.

malfcn

Ran a speed test. Is 2+ down and 1+ up not enough? Again, some nights I can beast. But recently this game has devolved into Gears 2 status. Bulletlag, no hit detection etc. First months were great, but is going down the shitter.

Ran a speed test. Is 2+ down and 1+ up not enough? Again, some nights I can beast. But recently this game has devolved into Gears 2 status. Bulletlag, no hit detection etc. First months were great, but is going down the shitter.

2 down and 1 up is pretty bad.

I've very much fallen out of love with Gears post Fenix Rising DLC. Things feel off and on top of that, I'm just plain sucking mega balls. My Gnasher, especially, is eliciting pea-shooter syndrome more frequently.

I think I need a forced hiatus.

Brakara

They added information about this to the Gears 3 FAQ:

Q: I do not have the Fenix Rising DLC and since it was released, I am unable to play on the dedicated servers. Is there anything else I need to do?

A: If you do not have the latest DLC, please choose the “Player’s Choice” playlist if you would like to play on dedicated servers. Player’s Choice is a mix of different game types that does not require any paid DLC.

So if you don't have the Fenix Rising DLC, you'll need to use the Player's Choice playlist in order to play on dedis.

Dan Yo

Banned
Ya I don't know what's going on but the game just doesn't feel right anymore. I'm hesitant to blame the Fenix Rising DLC, but if it's true that the player base has been split between dedicated server players and p2p then that would explain a lot. And probably be the end of my Gears playing days.

I hate this. I bought Gears 3 under the assumption that all games would have dedicated servers.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So if you don't have the Fenix Rising DLC, you'll need to use the Player's Choice playlist in order to play on dedis.

that's one way to kill off your player base

can you still pick different game modes without the dlc? I wonder how many people are doing that without realising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom