• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Finally got around finishing the campaign. It was fun and I enjoyed it very much. One thing I wanted to ask is
Myrrah Marcus's mother??
It's an intentional plot hole they implemented that they will never fill definitively, but they assure hints exist to keep speculation abuzz.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I've played about 35-40 games since the Fenix Rising DLC and I still haven't seen a new map.

I hope they add a new playlist soon because I'm rapidly losing interest.

cresto

I've played about 35-40 games since the Fenix Rising DLC and I still haven't seen a new map.

I hope they add a new playlist soon because I'm rapidly losing interest.

Are you only doing quick matches? What gametype? I play ranked execution and tdm and they come up fairly frequently.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Every playlist except players choice is map packs.

that's what I thought but I wasn't 100% sure.

It was bad enough with the connection issues where most games would crash and require a restart but now it works and I can't even play the content I just bought.

the fact they added 'Stay Frosty' instead of a Fenix Rising map playlist is beyond a joke.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
that's what I thought but I wasn't 100% sure.

It was bad enough with the connection issues where most games would crash and require a restart but now it works and I can't even play the content I just bought.

the fact they added 'Stay Frosty' instead of a Fenix Rising map playlist is beyond a joke.

Eh, most would rather have stranded be a permanent playlist.

Jaguar

I thought I read something about Brothers to the End and Stranded playlists alternating weekly? If so, will any of those playlists be up this next week?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I thought I read something about Brothers to the End and Stranded playlists alternating weekly? If so, will any of those playlists be up this next week?

That's what I got initially, but that's not the case.

What's being talked about now is that they know that stranded is in high demand.

To be honest, I think stranded would bring a lot of people back. Games like this and Halo suck to play alone because of stacked teams. Not having to worry about that will probably bring people back.

Jaguar

They really do need to make a Stranded playlist permanent. That should be top priority over putting Brothers to the End back in (there's already Wingman anyways which is close enough)

If they did make a permanent Stranded playlist though, what gametype would they make it? TDM, Exe or KotH? (I'd definitely prefer KotH)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
They really do need to make a Stranded playlist permanent. That should be top priority over putting Brothers to the End back in (there's already Wingman anyways which is close enough)

If they did make a permanent Stranded playlist though, what gametype would they make it? TDM, Exe or KotH? (I'd definitely prefer KotH)

Probably TDM since it's the most popular.

unomas

Banned
Finally hit level 91 last night in TDM. I put up a couple of videos after getting an HD capture device a few days ago. Does anyone do or know anyone who does montage intros really well? I'd be willing to pay for an intro and exit to my videos, but I would like a sample of work as well.

Here are the two TDM clips I've put up on my channel so far.

A comeback on Mercy

Last man standing on Old Town

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Finally hit level 91 last night in TDM. I put up a couple of videos after getting an HD capture device a few days ago. Does anyone do or know anyone who does montage intros really well? I'd be willing to pay for an intro and exit to my videos, but I would like a sample of work as well.

Here are the two TDM clips I've put up on my channel so far.

A comeback on Mercy

Last man standing on Old Town

You actually had host in those clips, lol.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Both were before Fenix Rising so......and in that game on Mercy that was just the first round, our team myself included got murdered by the other team who had host since he went 22-3 overall. So no host for me there.

Dude, you had host, there's no disputing it, it's easy as hell to tell; and how were "both on fenix rising?" They were both on default maps.

I'm not even acting like you were "good" because you had host. You are a regular ol gears player. I'm commenting on you having host because you took the time to post those videos and you had host, which is generally frowned upon anyway.

unomas

Banned
Dude, you had host, there's no disputing it, it's easy as hell to tell; and how were "both on fenix rising?" They were both on default maps.

I'm not even acting like you were "good" because you had host. You are a regular ol gears player. I'm commenting on you having host because you took the time to post those videos and you had host, which is generally frowned upon anyway.

They were recorded before Fenix Rising came out, that is all I said. I'm not trying to get internet rep, just bought a PVR, started a Youtube channel and will be putting up quite a few more vids, not just gears, but other games as well. Host this, host that, because I had a good round in a game? I didn't say I was some Gears god, the fact that you think that because I posted a few vids is odd, if I wanted to measure my e-peen I would have put up a montage and not gameplay of half a round or nearly an entire round where I just had a streak of kills. Trying to have a little fun and the negativity immediately comes in from guys like you. Peace.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
They were recorded before Fenix Rising came out, that is all I said. I'm not trying to get internet rep, just bought a PVR, started a Youtube channel and will be putting up quite a few more vids, not just gears, but other games as well. Host this, host that, because I had a good round in a game? I didn't say I was some Gears god, the fact that you think that because I posted a few vids is odd, if I wanted to measure my e-peen I would have put up a montage and not gameplay of half a round or nearly an entire round where I just had a streak of kills. Trying to have a little fun and the negativity immediately comes in from guys like you. Peace.

You're missing the point and getting defensive.

If you're going to post clips/montages make sure the fact your on host isn't apparent. Also, don't use retro or sawed off.

1. No one will bother with them.
2. You're gonna get voted down like crazy
3. You're gonna get bitched at in the comments.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
But if other people in the game dont have the DLC, the new maps wont come up will they?
Or do people who have the DLC just never get non-DLC players in their games?

My understanding is the people without the map pack can only play Player's Choice.

If that's not the case, I'm wrong and am misunderstanding both Quinn and the descriptions in the player lobby descriptions, which is entirely possible and if that's the case I'll apologize.

unomas

Banned
You're missing the point and getting defensive.

If you're going to post clips/montages make sure the fact your on host isn't apparent. Also, don't use retro or sawed off.

1. No one will bother with them.
2. You're gonna get voted down like crazy
3. You're gonna get bitched at in the comments.

I got seriously in Gears 1, I'll use whatever guns I feel like. The Hammerburst is just as cheap as the Retro, and the Retro is now nearly useless after the update as I found out last night where Gnasher usage was at an all time high.

I do not care if my videos get voted highly or not, I'm uploading them for fun, not to get famous on the internet. I've been playing Gears for 5 plus years, I really don't care if guys want to leave negative comments or thumbs down because "they're hardcore".

Hopefully most people try to be positive when someone just does something for fun, I never proclaimed I was even good at the game, my K/D is only 1.4 and W/L is 1.1 playing by myself TDM only.

Some people are positive, some are negative, I'll stay on the positive side. Thanks

Ballistik

Two guys posted videos of them playing Gears in this thread today and both got criticized. What the hell...

They're just YouTube videos...

Im playing Warzone. My team has a 4 to 1 number advantage (I got killed) and yet still half our team is cowering/camping in the back of the church (on Mercy) while the enemy is on the other side of the map. Pathetic :/

Seriously. The PISS-fucking-POOR map rotation is slowly killing this game for me. How hard is it, Epic? How hard is it to prefer the new maps over the old ones for the first month or so? Or a fucking playlist? I'll tell you how hard: not. You are preventing me from enjoying something I have paid for.

This + the Gnasher balance being a little bit bullshit now = dwindling fun.

Brakara

My understanding is the people without the map pack can only play Player's Choice.

No, if you see the descriptions, only Stay Frosty and Alpha require the new map pack. However, if you don't have the map pack, only Player's Choice will give you dedicated servers. So if you play, say, TDM without FR, then it's P2P.

The issue is that people with the DLC are seeing a lot of lag, while not seeing the new maps. Which makes me think they are thrown into matches with the unwashed masses (aka people without the DLC). The culprit here being Quick Matches, as Ranked doesn't seem to have the same problem.

Epic has always failed miserably at integrating DLC into playlists. Gears 3 is proving no different.

I would say the Booster Pack was handled pretty well.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Seriously. Being constructive is one thing. Neither response to either video was.

IMO telling him not to post "on host" videos or retro/sawed off footage is advice worth telling. If I were going to go through the trouble of uploading gameplay like that I would want to know what's going to get me flamed/bashed and to avoid it.

No, if you see the descriptions, only Stay Frosty and Alpha require the new map pack. However, if you don't have the map pack, only Player's Choice will give you dedicated servers. So if you play, say, TDM without FR, then it's P2P.

The issue is that people with the DLC are seeing a lot of lag, while not seeing the new maps. Which makes me think they are thrown into matches with the unwashed masses (aka people without the DLC). The culprit here being Quick Matches, as Ranked doesn't seem to have the same problem.

That may explain why I've seen plenty of the new maps in stay frosty. That's odd. Are you positive you can play in those playlists without the map packs?

Brakara

That may explain why I've seen plenty of the new maps in stay frosty. That's odd. Are you positive you can play in those playlists without the map packs?

I'm not 100% sure since I can't verify it myself (since I have the DLC).

But the Player's Choice playlist being almost empty (in my region) makes me believe they have other options. For example, in prime time (evenings) there are 2000-2500 people playing TDM, while there are less than 50 (!) in the Player's Choice playlist.

TRios Zen

I'm not 100% sure since I can't verify it myself (since I have the DLC).

But the Player's Choice playlist being almost empty (in my region) makes me believe they have other options. For example, in prime time (evenings) there are 2000-2500 people playing TDM, while there are less than 50 (!) in the Player's Choice playlist.

I am absolutely positive. A friend of mine does NOT have the map packs yet and we played regular TDM all night Saturday. When you start matchmaking a message comes up, something to the effect of, not all players have the maps, you will only get to play P2P matches, etc, etc.

On another note: how is it easy to tell when you (or someone else) has host? I've guessed before based upon connection, shotgun power, my lag vs player etc, but am not aware of a sure fire way to tell who is host.

I would say the Booster Pack was handled pretty well.
Indeed, but there are no plans to make Fenix Rising maps available to the public, so that ship won't sail twice...

I'm hoping they are waiting until DLC 4 is out (and I hope DLC 4 contains more new maps) to make a Map Pack playlist like the one we had in Gears 2. Just make it work exactly like Player's Choice but with all the DLC maps in rotation, how hard can it be? It's not the ideal solution by any means (most of the time you won't play the game mode you want) but it is the easiest one conforming to Epic's way of doing things I'd say.

In other news, finally hit rank 100 today, woot! Re-upped right after, most short-lived wings ever.

In other other news, Gears 3 scored a disappointing (but not surprising) 13th place in GAF's GOTY awards. Considering Gears 1 scored 2nd place and Gears 2 got 5th place in their respective years... ouch.

@TRios: The number one way to check if you're host from Gears 2 still works: throw a grenade into the air and see if it spins. If it doesn't spin in the air, you're off host/on dedicated servers; if it spins, congrats and go get'em. There is no 100% way to tell which player is host, though, only guesswork. Finally, if your characters are shouting battle cries at the beginning of a round, you're NOT playing on dedicated servers; if they're all completely silent at the start of a round, you're on servers.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Indeed, but there are no plans to make Fenix Rising maps available to the public, so that ship won't sail twice...

I'm hoping they are waiting until DLC 4 is out (and I hope DLC 4 contains more new maps) to make a Map Pack playlist like the one we had in Gears 2. Just make it work exactly like Player's Choice but with all the DLC maps in rotation, how hard can it be? It's not the ideal solution by any means (most of the time you won't play the game mode you want) but it is the easiest one conforming to Epic's way of doing things I'd say.

In other news, finally hit rank 100 today, woot! Re-upped right after, most short-lived wings ever.

In other other news, Gears 3 scored a disappointing (but not surprising) 13th place in GAF's GOTY awards. Considering Gears 1 scored 2nd place and Gears 2 got 5th place in their respective years... ouch.

@TRios: The number one way to check if you're host from Gears 2 still works: throw a grenade into the air and see if it spins. If it doesn't spin in the air, you're off host/on dedicated servers; if it spins, congrats and go get'em. There is no 100% way to tell which player is host, though, only guesswork. Finally, if your characters are shouting battle cries at the beginning of a round, you're NOT playing on dedicated servers; if they're all completely silent at the start of a round, you're on servers.

Man. All of that work just to figure out if you're on servers. Why is an indicator so hard?

Man. All of that work just to figure out if you're on servers. Why is an indicator so hard?
'Cause if we had a server status indicator and saw that it's offline most of the time, heads would roll. ESPECIALLY since there's that "play on super fast and fair dedicated servers" quote right on the game's case. And while they're cheeky, Epic aren't cheeky enough to slap a fake status indicator on their game, thankfully. :p

Brakara

I don't know, the competition seemed to be a lot tougher in 2011 than in 2006 and 2008, especially with regard to the number of quality games. Also, it was still the best shooter, even beating Battlefield 3, which surprised me - given how much love that game, for some reason, receives.

Does it really matter? You'll notice if you have a shit connection or not. If you knew you were on servers, would you continue playing just because of that, even if you couldn't kill anyone with less than 2 clips?

TRios Zen

Wow - I had forgotten all about the smoke grenade thing. Thanks for reminding me, and congrats on the short-lived wings. I don't get to play enough (played <600 matches total since release) so I only got to 81 this weekend.

Really disappointed about the frequency of the maps appearing in the Quick Match TDM rotation though. I've played every night since Fenix rising was released and have played on Slab once and Anvil twice, and that is all. Ranked is no fun as a lone-wolf (damn my friends last 2 nights) and "Stay Frosty" was not conducive to running around the maps. ugh.

Grisby

Yeah, I gotta echo again how much the playlist sucks. Just add a new map playlist epic. It's what should have been in there from the start. I'm at the point where I don't even care if they offer it for free if it means the maps show up in MP.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I am absolutely positive. A friend of mine does NOT have the map packs yet and we played regular TDM all night Saturday. When you start matchmaking a message comes up, something to the effect of, not all players have the maps, you will only get to play P2P matches, etc, etc.

That doesn't sound right, but if that's true, that would explain the issues you guys are having.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom