• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I can't find a list of title updates. What did they do to the retro and/or gnasher?

I think people are making shit up.

The only things I know have been changed since vanilla is the hammer burst damage over distance got a buff, the flame nades got a buff, and the sawed off got a range reduction.

I don't believe the gnasher or the retro got messed with at all.

I'd like to see an official list of changes myself.

Isn't there an Epic blog that shows the dl changes? Something similar to what DICE does with BF3?
Most major changes like the title updates are announced and detailed via blog posts on Epic's Community site but the truth is they don't always mention ALL the tinkering they do to the game on that site. If you want to be 100% certain of what's going on with the game you need to follow a couple key developers on Twitter like @quinndelhoyo and @PeteNub.

Brakara

The only things I know have been changed since vanilla is the hammer burst damage over distance got a buff, the flame nades got a buff, and the sawed off got a range reduction.

Me too. But I agree with the "think people are making shit up", since title updates are not used for weapon balancing.

Can anybody create a quick side-by-side comparison of the Anthony Carmine and Recruit Clayton Carmine multiplayer skins?

I'm trying to figure out the difference, aside from the look of the helmet.

Me too. But I agree with the "think people are making shit up", since title updates are not used for weapon balancing.

I dunno. I'm the last one to ever complain about the Gnasher, but recent games have elicited some strange Gnasher behaviour, i.e. getting gib'd 3-4 body-lengths away; something that ludicrous had honestly never happened to me in the 600 or so games I'd played pre-update.

On the plus side, I can pretty much confirm that the update has 100% fixed my freezing issues, so kudos on that, Epic.

TRios Zen

I'd bet a lot of the things people are seeing are coming in P2P games - their some strange shit going on in those games sometimes. Bullet sponges, Shot guns with the strength of the hammer of dawn... craziness. Regardless, amen to an official list of changes, clear communication is almost always helpful.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Does it really matter? You'll notice if you have a shit connection or not. If you knew you were on servers, would you continue playing just because of that, even if you couldn't kill anyone with less than 2 clips?

I think it matters. Rather then being subject to the whim of random internet connections when not in the mood for the shenanigans that come with them, Id know to just not waste my time and turn the game off.

Brakara

I dunno. I'm the last one to ever complain about the Gnasher, but recent games have elicited some strange Gnasher behaviour, i.e. getting gib'd 3-4 body-lengths away; something that ludicrous had honestly never happened to me in the 600 or so games I'd played pre-update.

Sounds more like lag to me. But, again, this is easy to check. Just fire up a private match with two controllers (opposite teams, no bots) and verify if this is the case.

I am absolutely positive. A friend of mine does NOT have the map packs yet and we played regular TDM all night Saturday. When you start matchmaking a message comes up, something to the effect of, not all players have the maps, you will only get to play P2P matches, etc, etc.

On another note: how is it easy to tell when you (or someone else) has host? I've guessed before based upon connection, shotgun power, my lag vs player etc, but am not aware of a sure fire way to tell who is host.

One way to test lag is shoot your shotgun in a game and look at your ammo counter, there will be a delay between your shotgun going off and your ammo count going down by 1 each time.

Sounds more like lag to me. But, again, this is easy to check. Just fire up a private match with two controllers (opposite teams, no bots) and verify if this is the case.

I did this the other day and I have to say active range for 2 shot down is huge lol, even 3 shot on normal power imo.

You're probably right. Either way, these "wtf moments" seldom happen and I figure that I'm probably as much on the giving end as the receiving, so it all cancels out.

JUST FIX THE GODDAMN MAPS ISSUE!

TRios Zen

You're probably right. Either way, these "wtf moments" seldom happen and I figure that I'm probably as much on the giving end as the receiving, so it all cancels out.

JUST FIX THE GODDAMN MAPS ISSUE!

I'm with you on this - I know there's been times when I've thought - that shot should have killed me - that kid is raging that he's dead and I'm still rolling. So I'm sure I've been on both sides as well. Still pisses me off when I'm on the down side though!

@bolded, because it can't be said enough.

alright, what the fuck. First time I've ragequit a game in looooooooong time, active gnasher is some straight up bullshit.

I got downed by a hipfire when I was behind the sniper spawn and the other guy was in one of the "aisles"

:/

malfcn

When I said who is in charge of shit, I meant keeping this game from dieing. Fucking up the DLC with no playlist etc is bone-headed. People paid money, and the rarely come up in regular rotation. I believe every other Gears game, and game for that matter has always had a DLC playlist.

Also, the rumor or at least what people on the epic forums are asking for is a beast dlc pack. If DLC 4 is centered around Beast, that would be trash. Unless they made some awesome all around maps, and through in a new Locust maybe. But I haven't even touched Beast yet, and from what I've heard it's no horde. It's fun maybe once or twice and you're done with it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
When I said who is in charge of shit, I meant keeping this game from dieing. Fucking up the DLC with no playlist etc is bone-headed. People paid money, and the rarely come up in regular rotation. I believe every other Gears game, and game for that matter has always had a DLC playlist.

Also, the rumor or at least what people on the epic forums are asking for is a beast dlc pack. If DLC 4 is centered around Beast, that would be trash. Unless they made some awesome all around maps, and through in a new Locust maybe. But I haven't even touched Beast yet, and from what I've heard it's no horde. It's fun maybe once or twice and you're done with it.

If you want the new maps play ranked.

I played about 3 hours earlier today in ranked TDM and every map was a new one.

Also, I agree, if it's a beast DLC that's pretty lame, but we already pretty much know it is. The only bright side is that it will more than likely also include new maps we can use in MP.

And this game isn't dying.

If you want the new maps play ranked.

Complete cop-out. Not all of us want to put ourselves through the L337 pacings of ranked matches; in fact, given the numbers, most of us don't want to. I'm annoyed enough at the amount of AR'd Hammerbursting/Lancering in TDM quick matches.

We just need a fucking playlist. SURELY that's not hard to implement.

unomas

Banned
Retro got nerfed? Bullshit I still get downed with that shit in a second

I never said the Retro got nerfed, but the Gnasher got a buff for hard aiming and the scorcher got a buff as well. That makes the retro a little more useless because Gnasher players can now take you out from a distance farther back than where the Retro Lancer is effective in it's range. 5 good players rushing Gnasher that know what they're doing can destroy a team of rifles now. There was definitely changes in weapons inluding a buffing of the scorcher since this DLC dropped. If you're playing against a bunch of clueless players you can still destroy them with rifles, but good players are going Gnasher crazy now.

Go play online and you'll see the changes, it would seem the hip fire with the Gnasher is less accurate now, at least to me, but hard aiming is beast, and it's been like this for days. I'm trying to work my way up from 92, and the Gnasher kills are on the up and up for everyone. It's almost pointless now to use the SOS when the Gnasher is 10 times better than it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Complete cop-out. Not all of us want to put ourselves through the L337 pacings of ranked matches; in fact, given the numbers, most of us don't want to. I'm annoyed enough at the amount of AR'd Hammerbursting/Lancering in TDM quick matches.

We just need a fucking playlist. SURELY that's not hard to implement.

So you're not happy with any solution other than the one you want.

I'd rather play all the maps than the same 4 or 8 over and over.

IMO a stranded playlist is more important/needed than a fenix rising map pack.

I never said the Retro got nerfed, but the Gnasher got a buff for hard aiming

Prove it.

You've already shown you have a youtube channel. Show us this is true.

unomas

Banned

Prove it.

You've already shown you have a youtube channel. Show us this is true.

Go play the game man, I have nothing to prove to you on an internet forum or in a game. Why don't you prove the scorcher got buffed since you said it in the forums yourself??? So you can say something got buffed because "you" the almighty think so but I can't? No thanks bro, you're just not worth the time, I have better things to do than argue with a negative jerk. Thanks.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Go play the game man, I have nothing to prove to you on an internet forum or in a game. Why don't you prove the scorcher got buffed since you said it in the forums yourself??? So you can say something got buffed because "you" the almighty think so but I can't? No thanks bro, you're just not worth the time, I have better things to do than argue with a negative jerk. Thanks.

lol.

Pete nub commented on buffing both the scorcher and the flame nades in the last update during Hypefestation.

Thanks for playing though.

No, I'm not happy, because my solution is objectively the better of the two; not to mention, it's a solution that isn't hard at all to implement and one that should have been implemented from conception for the greater good of the game.

$15 fucking Australian dollars I paid for these maps and you're telling me to suck it up and play the game in a ridiculously restrictive way. That just doesn't cut it, dude.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No, I'm not happy, because my solution is objectively the better of the two; not to mention, it's a solution that isn't hard at all to implement and one that should have been implemented from conception for the greater good of the game.

$15 fucking Australian dollars I paid for these maps and you're telling me to suck it up and play the game in a ridiculously restrictive way. That just doesn't cut it, dude.

Ranked is "ridiculously restrictive" compared to quickmatch? Really?

Also, at the moment they are restricted to how many playlists they can put up, that's why warzone/execution got merged. It's going to probably require a new TU before they can add "more playlists."

I don't know about most people, but I damn sure wouldn't want one of those slots wasted on a 5 map rotation playlist.

Ranked is "ridiculously restrictive" compared to quickmatch? Really?

It's enough to warrant complaint. I shouldn't have to play the game in a certain way to reap the benefit of maps that exist - for all intents and purposes - to be played across every game type. It's unreasonable. I wouldn't be complaing if the maps weren't that elusive. It's terrible.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's enough to warrant complaint. I shouldn't have to play the game in a certain way to reap the benefit of maps that exist - for all intents and purposes - to be played across every game type. It's unreasonable. I wouldn't be complaing if the maps weren't that elusive. It's terrible.

How is playing ranked TDM different than quickmatch TDM? It's the same game type. You're not playing a different game mode.

The only difference is the time between matches and a new lobby at the end. There's nothing "ridiculously restrictive" about it.

That said, the map order in quick match does need work (it's needed work since the beginning), but THAT is what you should be pushing for IMO, not a 5 map rotation playlist.

Somehow I get a feeling this game plays out very different in Australia than in the U.S.

Is the population (game) that small over there?

How is playing ranked TDM different than quickmatch TDM? It's the same game type. You're not playing a different game mode.

The only difference is the time between matches and a new lobby at the end. There's nothing "ridiculously restrictive" about it.

That said, the map order in quick match does need work (it's needed work since the beginning), but THAT is what you should be pushing for IMO, not a 5 map rotation playlist.

Somehow I get a feeling this game plays out very different in Australia than in the U.S.

Is the population (game) that small over there?

Sure, it's the same game type, but it's a different beast, is it not? Higher skill level, clans in abundance, bottom-line tactics... It's all a bit heavy for me (I'm going on assumption here, as I've never played Ranked).

Also, the numbers are half, if not a third of what you'll find in QM TDM.

Anyway, that's not the point. It's still a restriction. It really doesn't matter how small a restriction it is; the point is that it exists and it restricts.

And that IS what I'm pushing for, ultimately, but Epic haven't really shown any competence in fixing that issue.

Look, I'll deal with it, but considering just how much the ends will justify the means, they should really get on top of their shit.

Wow.

My bullets < your bullets.

A guy just sprinted at me across checkout, I was shooting him the whole time with a lancer. No down. nothing.

3 Gnasher blasts at close range. nothing. He turns around and shoots me once at the same range, gibbed.

Just bad gameplay balance.

*Sigh* Remember when Epic made GOOD competitive multiplayer? On I long for the days of UT.

stephen08

Wow.

My bullets < your bullets.

A guy just sprinted at me across checkout, I was shooting him the whole time with a lancer. No down. nothing.

3 Gnasher blasts at close range. nothing. He turns around and shoots me once at the same range, gibbed.

Just bad gameplay balance.

*Sigh* Remember when Epic made GOOD competitive multiplayer? On I long for the days of UT.

No matter how well a game's gameplay is designed/balanced it will never be able to make a laggy encounter like that fair.

I understand the frustration but it's misplaced.

Jaguar

Sure, it's the same game type, but it's a different beast, is it not? Higher skill level, clans in abundance, bottom-line tactics... It's all a bit heavy for me (I'm going on assumption here, as I've never played Ranked).

Yeah, you're definitely right about that. Ranked is a completely different beast compared to quick match.

Last 4 teams I played against on Ranked KotH (went in solo) :

party of 4 + 1 random (one guy in the party had an obvious hacked profile + modded controller)
clan of 5
clan of 5 (same as before)
party of 5 (three of them with the same clan tag)

Every game we got destroyed since we never had anyone on our team that was in a party of 3 or more.

Stranded playlist would be fucking amazing.

No matter how well a game's gameplay is designed/balanced it will never be able to make a laggy encounter like that fair.

I understand the frustration but it's misplaced.

You're right. And in the time since I joined up with a group of friends, and we had 5 great games in a row with perfect or near-perfect connections. When the game feels fair, then the strength of the gameplay mechanics come out to shine.

IE: If I want to support my teammates heading to the hill with lancer fire from behind cover at mid-range, I will actually be helping them instead of achieving literally nothing.

Where would one vent their frustrations with a game, other than the community thread for that game?

We're not telling you to not get frustrated, but vent once and be done with it. Believe me, I get you; I hate this game half of the time, but it's still fucking great, so let's not say things that we're going to regret. All games have these issues; against its peers, GoW3 is actually pretty excellent.

Lag is an obvious problem but to be honest you'll spot a metric ton of gameplay inconsistencies even when you're playing a private local match against bots or against another human player. Lag isn't the only problem, I'd say the way the engine handles things is also to blame.

TRios Zen

Also, the numbers are half, if not a third of what you'll find in QM TDM.

Anyway, that's not the point. It's still a restriction. It really doesn't matter how small a restriction it is; the point is that it exists and it restricts.

And that IS what I'm pushing for, ultimately, but Epic haven't really shown any competence in fixing that issue.

Look, I'll deal with it, but considering just how much the ends will justify the means, they should really get on top of their shit.

Ranked is a different animal and while it isn't IMPOSSIBLE to succeed as a lone-wolf player, it is more likely that you'd run into good teams in ranked, IMO. Hell, when I play with a full squad I always try to get a couple of ranked matches in. Two good teams facing each other without one team having an unfair host advantage? That's the stuff dreams are made of.

I wouldn't mind a stranded playlist though, as I do often find myself playing solo, but how hard would it be for Epic to increase the likelihood of these new maps showing up in any rotation? Hell, this past weekend I think the "stay Frosty" playlist should have been a Player's Choice Fenix Rising playlist instead, and Stranded should be a permanent addition.

JimiNutz

Banned
Took a month off, came back, and am getting absolutely fucked.
This is gonna make me sound like a bitch, but is matchmaking in this game broken??

What an earth are players with 2.6 k/d ratios and ranks of 140 doing playing against level 72s with 1.1 k/d ratios?? lol
Teams just seem so unbalanced and people are playing games with people that they shouldn't be playing against. Im average at best, maybe below average, why am I playing against people that are SIGNIFICANTLY better than me. Isn't that the point of matchmaking, to stop this from happening?

I know a large part of it is me being rusty, and the fact that I always play with randoms, but the matchmaking def seems broken as well. Maybe its because there's never more than 2000 people playing in my region?

Def getting some lag too, as in warping across the map - not often, but more than before :(

Dosia

Took a month off, came back, and am getting absolutely fucked.
This is gonna make me sound like a bitch, but is matchmaking in this game broken??

What an earth are players with 2.6 k/d ratios and ranks of 140 doing playing against level 72s with 1.1 k/d ratios?? lol
Teams just seem so unbalanced and people are playing games with people that they shouldn't be playing against. Im average at best, maybe below average, why am I playing against people that are SIGNIFICANTLY better than me. Isn't that the point of matchmaking, to stop this from happening?

I know a large part of it is me being rusty, and the fact that I always play with randoms, but the matchmaking def seems broken as well. Maybe its because there's never more than 2000 people playing in my region?

Def getting some lag too, as in warping across the map - not often, but more than before :(

Haha. I am convinced this game doesnt utilize match making. Im level 63 with no reup do to hardly playing and I was always in games with Teams with wings on opposing team. Personally I wish they got rid of the whole number system.

TRios Zen

Haha. I am convinced this game doesnt utilize match making. Im level 63 with no reup do to hardly playing and I was always in games with Teams with wings on opposing team. Personally I wish they got rid of the whole number system.

I think this game uses matchmaking, but doesn't it use True-Skill (or whatever)? In which case K/D may not be the only factor. Hell, I'll be honest, this is not my area of expertise, but I think all 360 matchmaking uses true-skill.

Regardless, I think games like COD have proven that folks like chasing that little number (and the wings) and all the little "un-lockables" that go along with that. I'd guess any resurgence in the number of players post Fenix rising would also be a testament to that. so I can't see them getting rid of them.

Personally, I don't get to play as often as I'd like (wife, kids), but I'll chase the wings and re-ups as long as I play the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom