• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakara

AFAIK, Ranked uses TrueSkill while Quick Match uses something much simper, like just Level or something like that. But it's literally Quick Match, which is why it's so crap regarding "equal skill".

That being said, for some reason it's still better than MW3 which has 10 times the player base. In my experience, every 360 game without the name Halo in its title has matchmaking issues. I'm not sure what's Bungie's secret matchmaking magic, but I sure wish they had shared some of that with Epic.

JimiNutz

Banned
AFAIK, Ranked uses TrueSkill while Quick Match uses something much simper, like just Level or something like that. But it's literally Quick Match, which is why it's so crap regarding "equal skill".

That being said, for some reason it's still better than MW3 which has 10 times the player base. In my experience, every 360 game without the name Halo in its title has matchmaking issues. I'm not sure what's Bungie's secret matchmaking magic, but I sure wish they had shared some of that with Epic.

Its a shame because I love Gears, but I only really get to play maybe one or two hours a week at max and I just dont have the time, or skill level, to get really good at the game. My k/d is 1.1, my win/loss is 1.3 and I'm a level 73, yet i often play games against people with a really high rank and a k/d of 2.0+ :(

When the gulf in level is that high its just not fun.
Im not expecting to beast every game and be MVP on a regular basis but i would hope for the games to be competitive. I know its not just me because in 9\10 games that i play there are always 2 players with ridiculous stats like 17-1 at the end of the game, while the majority of the players are either just breaking even or have more deaths than kills.

On the flip side I can pop in Halo, having not played it for months, play a game ot two to warm up and then I'm competitive. Every now and then you'll get an unbalanced game, but mostly each game is competitive and fun... But id still rather be playing Gears :(

Oh well I'll continue to plug away. Some of the rust is wearing off and I did have some good games earlier...

Ranked is a different animal and while it isn't IMPOSSIBLE to succeed as a lone-wolf player, it is more likely that you'd run into good teams in ranked, IMO. Hell, when I play with a full squad I always try to get a couple of ranked matches in. Two good teams facing each other without one team having an unfair host advantage? That's the stuff dreams are made of.

I wouldn't mind a stranded playlist though, as I do often find myself playing solo, but how hard would it be for Epic to increase the likelihood of these new maps showing up in any rotation? Hell, this past weekend I think the "stay Frosty" playlist should have been a Player's Choice Fenix Rising playlist instead, and Stranded should be a permanent addition.

I played against a party of 3 guys last night: I R SPACECAT, I R NiNJACAT and I R something-or-otherCAT. Anyway, they were good. They had to have been communicating and I'm pretty sure they went into every game with a strict and effective gameplan. Their ranks ranged from 50-85.

And look, it was glorious. Their game escalated my game and before long, I was playing some of the best Gears I ever have. The only downside to this, is that if you have even one weak link in your team, the game can turn into an excercise in futility and frustration. This time, my team was competent enough to put up a good fight, but there was that one person who goes 1 and 9 or something and you can't help but feel completely dejected.

If Ranked is like that the majority of the time, I'd probably have a coronary due to just how high-energy everything is.

I ended up leaving and whaddaya know? My controls feel like they've been dipped in cement for every subsequent game. God, I hate it when you just lose your mojo and it feels as if you're aiming/moving at a snail's pace.

EDIT: This was QM TDM, by the way.

Brakara

Its a shame because I love Gears, but I only really get to play maybe one or two hours a week at max and I just dont have the time, or skill level, to get really good at the game. My k/d is 1.1, my win/loss is 1.3 and I'm a level 73, yet i often play games against people with a really high rank and a k/d of 2.0+ :(

Yeah, I hear ya. Ran into some people with a k/d of 4.5+ yesterday (on the other team). That was fun.

What's annoying is that Epic knows about the huge skill difference between players in this game, and the problem that creates, but the only solution they could come up with was the fucking sawed-off. I mean, what about fixing the matchmaking instead? There's absolutely no other multiplayer game that even comes close to Gears when you have two balanced teams with similar skilled players.

Since downloading the new maps, I've played Gridlock more times than all the new maps combined.

IKTF,B.

It's a joke. It's so irritating knowing that there are 5 untapped maps there for me to enjoy, but alas, the game won't let me. I'd be having a lot more fun if this DLC didn't exist at all. It's an omnipresent, negative cloud that dampens the funs.

Moofers

Broke into the top 100 on the Horde leaderboards for The Depths last night. Feels good man. Looking to grow our team now. Anyone who wants to play with some serious-ass Horde players, send me a FR. Gamertag: Uno Ill Nino

had escalation once in stay frosty koth last week, anvil about 8 times and half of them was joining a game in progress.

The slab? about twice, both in frosty last week.

DLC playlist really should happen no matter what game, let us play the new maps for a good few weeks.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I finally played a new map :D It only took 40+ games

the other 11 rounds were old maps. Sandbar came up twice :|

swings and roundabouts

zlatko

Banned
I still haven't played the game since November, but keep tabs on the thread. I'll probably pick the game up again when they do a GOTY edition or something.

How did escalation pan out now that it's out there?

Also, the salt on this page is delicious. :p

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Anvil is the only new map that will show up in the rotation for me. Haven't even touched Escalation other than a five minute private match with bots. I blame you.

Yeah, I've never played Escalation, either. It's been so weird lately. All that I play are Gridlock, Bullet Marsh, Clocktower, Overpass, Checkout, and Sandcrap. It's like the other maps don't exist.

I'll be on tonight at ten :D

TRios Zen

I still haven't played the game since November, but keep tabs on the thread. I'll probably pick the game up again when they do a GOTY edition or something.

How did escalation pan out now that it's out there?

Also, the salt on this page is delicious. :p

The changes that I've seen in escalation are minor, biggest maybe is that the area at bottom near fountain is a bit more open, not a full mountable wall like it used to be. Sniper, Grenades, Boltok still present I think. Digger there now too I believe. Strange, because this is one of the few remakes that I don't think looks MUCH better... maybe, because it's all fresh and new, and not falling apart like the original Escalation was. That being said, have STILL not played this map in versus MP - and that is a salty comment. I want to play the maps I paid for! :(

Yeah, I've never played Escalation, either. It's been so weird lately. All that I play are Gridlock, Bullet Marsh, Clocktower, Overpass, Checkout, and Sandcrap. It's like the other maps don't exist.

Ten what timezone? I usually play from 10-12 Central time, and am always looking for a bigger team to work together.

Also, if Overpass comes up - 9x out of ten, I back out. Absolute trash of a MP map.

10? Hopefully that'll give me enough time to fly up to the sky and let Rev know we're playing.

RSTEIN

When I play Gears

I think to myself

the sky is the limit

I'm so pumped.

I'm so hyped.

I can't wait to prestige 10 times.

-REV09

Jaguar

Ugh, why couldn't they have done Stranded KotH instead. I'll gladly take Stranded TDM over nothing, but TDM is so fucking campy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ugh, why couldn't they have done Stranded KotH instead. I'll gladly take Stranded TDM over nothing, but TDM is so fucking campy.

and KOTH is loaded with sawed off and retro.

I'd rather not be forced to charge at people using those shit weapons. At least in TDM I can fight them on neutral terms.

RSTEIN

Just had one of the most epic matches ever.

I join some randoms at the end of a round on Rustling (yay new map!!)

The we switch to Drydock. Our team gets smoked first round.

Someone on my team starts talking, then I start talking and then everyone on the team starts talking.

Before you know it we are coordinating positions, power weapons, etc. We stalemate the second round. We win the second round and then the third round easily.

Man, just goes to show you how amazing this game is when people start communicating.

The other team probably like wtf just happened?? Lol.

Jaguar

I'd rather not be forced to charge at people using those shit weapons. At least in TDM I can fight them on neutral terms.

Sawed-off isn't a problem when it's not laggy. Retro is annoying but I'd rather put up with that than constant camping.

Ballistik

Glad to see the stranded playlist back, completely eliminates the problem of running into teams when you're playing solo. I agree it should be permanent.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I fucking give up trying to make sense of this game. Seriously. Last night i had the worst gaming experience of my life. I mean everything. The connection the teammates the everything. The game was just fucking garbage. However today it was amazing. What the FUCK epic? Why is this game so schizophrenic?

I fucking give up trying to make sense of this game. Seriously. Last night i had the worst gaming experience of my life. I mean everything. The connection the teammates the everything. The game was just fucking garbage. However today it was amazing. What the FUCK epic? Why is this game so schizophrenic?

I've had 0 trouble with this game since release.

Someone on my team starts talking, then I start talking and then everyone on the team starts talking.

Before you know it we are coordinating positions, power weapons, etc. We stalemate the second round. We win the second round and then the third round easily.

Man, just goes to show you how amazing this game is when people start communicating.

Yep, there was one Ranked TDM on Depths I played the other day, we were getting our ass kicked, and then some guy started talking, then before long everyone was talking and we ended up winning with a sudden death.

So good.

whitehawk

Banned
Wait, are there mods out there yet?

I was in a ranked game. Before it started the clan on the other team was talking to a dude on my team, they knew each other it seemed. As we started playing, the dude on my team talked about how good these guys were. And they were. But then he mentioned that they use mods. To get perfect active reloads on their hammerbursts every single time or something. Which would make sense. When they were using the HB, they killed me every time. But I faired quite well in the shotgun battles.

Yeah sometimes all it takes is one person to start talking. Sometimes I don't use the microphone because it seems no one else is. But as soon as I see someone talking, I grab my mic.

Also, I still have yet to play an escalation game. What is this?!?!

Brakara

Huh, I'm pretty sure Stranded KOTH was without the retro and sawed-off (like Stranded TDM). I mean, that's why it was so great.

Are there even servers for this game anymore?
I think a lot of people tend to blame the game and use lag as a scapegoat when it's most likely their own fault they died.

Like last night for instance, I was playing on Trenches. I see one of my teammates get killed near the top left box near Mortar. I come across from the right side and watch him get his active with his Gnasher. I had right-side advantage, so my best bet would have probably been to keep a little distance and Lancer-strafe him off of his cover so he'd have to back off. But I figured I'd take a chance and rush him with a Gnasher anyway, and I get one-shot downed immediately.

I can't blame anybody there but myself. Same thing goes for when I end up losing a shotgun battle. As much as I would want to blame the game, most of the time I will see where I aimed my pop-shot just left or right of where the dude is and miss completely.

Obviously I can't speak for every region, but like somebody said earlier in here, the game is balanced pretty damn well. If you've endured five years of the bullshit from Gears 1 and 2, how the hell are you still complaining?

What do you mean?

--
I've been reading this thread and I noticed there are new maps. For free?
every time I play now it's P2P. I get the host transfer screens and everything.

I think a lot of people tend to blame the game and use lag as a scapegoat when it's most likely their own fault they died.
Like I said, it isn't hard to tell when the servers are down, especially when host transfer screens come up.

TRios Zen

Obviously I can't speak for every region, but like somebody said earlier in here, the game is balanced pretty damn well. If you've endured five years of the bullshit from Gears 1 and 2, how the hell are you still complaining?

I think most people know when they've been outplayed, and maybe some people bitch about it and blame the servers/etc, sure. But there are too many times when bullshit happens for me to say, yeah, I missed every shot. Particularly when I get points for shooting them, when they do die. Nah, sometimes in gears you're the windshield, and sometimes you're the bug, that's just the way it is.

I bitch about it, because I love. I love this game and it IS infinitely better than the MP mess that Gears 2 was. But just like a pimple on a pretty girls face, the flaws stand out because of the beauty.

I think most people know when they've been outplayed, and maybe some people bitch about it and blame the servers/etc, sure. But there are too many times when bullshit happens for me to say, yeah, I missed every shot. Particularly when I get points for shooting them, when they do die. Nah, sometimes in gears you're the windshield, and sometimes you're the bug, that's just the way it is.

I bitch about it, because I love. I love this game and it IS infinitely better than the MP mess that Gears 2 was. But just like a pimple on a pretty girls face, the flaws stand out because of the beauty.
I get what you're saying, and that stuff definitely happens here and there. But still it's not anything compared to shit like invisible Boomshields, people ragdolling themselves out of a map to where they can't be killed, crabwalkers, kids toting Gnashers with Meatshields, I could go on and on. Getting screwed out of a few kills here and there really isn't that big of a deal. People saying they want to break their disc in half need to chill.

The only problem with this game imo is the lag can be retarded on P2P. Other than that I haven't gotten the DLC maps yet but the game seems perfect. I Just don't see see the complaining being justified. I barely feel like I got bullshitted in a match.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The only problem with this game imo is the lag can be retarted on P2P. Other than that I haven't gotten the DLC maps yet but the game seems perfect. I Just don't see see the complaining being justified. I barely feel like I got bullshitted in a match.

lol

And the game is perfect, when it's on servers.

TRios Zen

lol

And the game is perfect, when it's on servers.

Did you ever wonder, when you are having a really good match - that maybe you got host?

I don't always host the party that I'm in, but when I do, and my gnasher feels strong...I wonder (who am I to complain when the Gears gods throw a bone my way though?).

Anyway, all bitching aside, this game has got my attention now, and for my foreseeable multi-player future. Have really considered trading in COD as I haven't gotten past level 52 there (never play anymore - hate leaving Gears sexiness).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom