• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Really makes you wonder who is calling the shots around there. Quinn sounds cool though.

What is this referring to?

Sneak up behind a guy throwing a nade, shoot twice landing hits up close, he spins around and 1 hits me and it isn't even a fucking headshot.

So many games not on fucking servers, so stupid when the game can't even judge your weapon power correctly. It also means people look like they are shooting their shotgun mid roll animation which is the #1 reason why lag ruins gears, at least on a server the roll animation will finish just about before the shot is fired.

It's like your enemy is always 2 steps ahead in a fight.

Oh and only played on the new maps about 3 times in 20 games tonight, worst playlist for new dlc ever.

You're having more issues than most people it seems.

I've definitely had more good games than bad games. The only issue I had was all night servers were down when the new dash launched.

I probably won't be on tonight, I just moved back to my apartment after spending some time with my parents and I'm having trouble getting the 360 I got over break to work with the network here.

Hopefully I'll have it worked out by tomorrow though, so if anyone's doing anything then I'll be on.

I've played for 4-5 hours since downloading Fenix Rising and have only got two of the new maps. Each one twice, and that's it. I'll try playing in ranked tomorrow. Are the new maps in public Horde and Beast games? I tried to get them for like an hour and none ever came up.

Just throwing my two cents in here...I don't like the new Gnasher balance at all. The Sawed Off literally has no point anymore. The Gnasher can one shot you at the same range the Sawed Off can. So what's the point? Everyone's using the Gnasher now and rolling every two seconds, which has also made Rifles less effective. Until this patch I really thought the game's balance was near perfect.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've played for 4-5 hours since downloading Fenix Rising and have only got two of the new maps. Each one twice, and that's it. I'll try playing in ranked tomorrow. Are the new maps in public Horde and Beast games? I tried to get them for like an hour and none ever came up.

Just throwing my two cents in here...I don't like the new Gnasher balance at all. The Sawed Off literally has no point anymore. The Gnasher can one shot you at the same range the Sawed Off can. So what's the point? Everyone's using the Gnasher now and rolling every two seconds, which has also made Rifles less effective. Until this patch I really thought the game's balance was near perfect.

You think the rifles aren't effective?

lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Are you still playing this game's MP, or just Horde? I'd be interested in picking it back up for the MP if you ever play.

For now a bunch of us are doing campaign, horde, and beast to get those achievements out of the way, but yeah I"m always down to do more Gears 3 MP.

Ugh, even with a full party and tons of lunatic conversation about random topics, Gears of War 3 on insane really isn't that fun. Hardcore is the sweet spot.

I had fun regardless though, thanks to the company. Let's meet up again soon!

whitehawk

Banned
Am I the only one who has NEVER come across Escalation online? I come across the other 3 FR maps often, but not Escalation. :(

Also, the new look of Escalation sucks ass. I prefered the dark gritty version of Gears 1 instead of the bright colours we have now.

Gears 1 (Mute this one)

Gears 3

Ramirez

For now a bunch of us are doing campaign, horde, and beast to get those achievements out of the way, but yeah I"m always down to do more Gears 3 MP.

Probably trade in MW3 and pick it back up when I get a chance then. As much as I loathe the SOS, Gears 3 was the most fun I've had in MP since Halo 3 probably.

Brakara

Am I the only one who has NEVER come across Escalation online? I come across the other 3 FR maps often, but not Escalation. :(

Got it in KOTH yesterday. Horrible map. Your math is off though, as FR has 5 maps.

Rifles less effective? "This patch" ? Sawed Off has no point ? What the effing eff?

First of all, the Sawed Off has a wide spread so, unlike the Gnasher, you need absolutely no skill to use it (though you do need to run away like a scared little monkey after shooting). And the rifles are super effective. A coordinated team can down you in a split-second with lancers or hammerbursts (across the map). Also, Gnasher players who roll in a shotgun fight are more likely to get their heads blown off than anything else. And, finally, weapon balances are not done in "patches". It's a server setting. AFAIK, not much was done in that regard around the release of either TU3 or Fenix Rising.

Don't get me wrong, this game has some issues, but rolling Gnasher players is certainly not one of them.

The map rotation/selection is actually ridiculous. I've played Slab one single time and Anvil 798230199 times. The others? Not. Even. Once.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
If there's one thing ive learned from playing ranked exclusively is that its just as a big of a cesspool as quick match.

Dosia

Did they make nades stronger? Seems like every time some1 throws
a nade my way I die even when rolling out of the way. My nade kills have gone up too.

Rifles less effective? "This patch" ? Sawed Off has no point ? What the effing eff?

I'm a big rifle user. But with the range that the Gnasher has now, it has removed some of the medium range strength of rifles. Aside from the Retro that is.

And as for the Sawed Off, yes, what's the point? Aside from "Kaboom" situations, I see no reason to use the Sawed Off. I can use a Gnasher instead because it has range and a higher bullet count. It will blow someone in half in one shot up close just like the Sawed Off will, which is really the Sawed Off's only strength. Everyone in the community is using the Gnasher now. So I'm not the only person who suddenly feels like the Sawed Off has become an after thought.

What is this referring to?

You're having more issues than most people it seems.

I've definitely had more good games than bad games. The only issue I had was all night servers were down when the new dash launched.

I think what happens is when it finds a peer to peer match it's not always in the uk, plus the uk internet average connection isn't as good as say the USA or other places in the world.

I would just like to see that I am on a server somehow, a little symbol on the scoreboard or something, anything.

Did they make nades stronger? Seems like every time some1 throws
a nade my way I die even when rolling out of the way. My nade kills have gone up too.

Flame nades feel like they are 50% bigger now but no idea about regular, I still see people run past tagged nades without being hurt so it can't be by much.

Robot Pants

They need to lower the damage on all the rilfes, and have since this game was released, but all they've done is made them stronger, or not done anything.
They also needed to lower the ranges of both shotguns (yes even the gnasher originally should have been lowered ever so slightly), but instead they increased the range on the gnasher back to the absurd length it was in Gears 2 (awful game), and nerfed the SOS into oblivion (not complaining. gun never should have been in the game).

All these things plus a few others have been the reason why this game didn't last in my xbox more than a month and a half.

Escalation has always been a terrible map, but I do agree the old look was way better. In Gears 3 it just looks too clean.

lol running up the stairs on overpass and was about half way up, guy at the top was sniping me with an active shotgun from that far away, 2 hits placed me in full red :/

I really do wonder why they made the shotgun that stupid.

I've finally had enough, this game can be so stupid and when you see people using nothing but shotguns every round you know something is wrong in the balance, I feel like a fool buying the map pack too since I hardly play them in matchmaking...

*edit* I will add this to the lulz, looking at the last match I was paired with I have the bigger KD on my team while everyone else is below 1.0, the other team has 3 re-upped players with 1.9's and 1.7's on all 5 players :/ stacked teams up in this bitch.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I know this is Gears, and people will bitch about everything, but I feel the game is damn near perfect now. Everything feels right, especially now that finally the flame nades got a the buff they needed.

The only thing we need now is Stranded to be permanent!

Dan Yo

Banned
Played with some guy with the gamertag Seliphas last night who was playing ranked and just stood there spinning, blowing the game for any team unfortunate enough to get him. Why doesn't Epic take away the automatic auto-game search after every round so people like him can't do this shit? Do they have any penalty for for people who do this?

Since my shotgun comments got the attention of most readers in my earlier post I'll ask again and hopefully someone knows the answer; Are the Fenix Rising maps in the public rotation for Beast and Horde? I tried for like an hour last night and none came up.

Since my shotgun comments got the attention of most readers in my earlier post I'll ask again and hopefully someone knows the answer; Are the Fenix Rising maps in the public rotation for Beast and Horde? I tried for like an hour last night and none came up.

I had azure once in beast but that is about it so far.

Brakara

Good question. I wonder if it's like back in Gears 2 where everybody had to have the flashback maps in order for them to be randomly selected for the map voting (this before the specific DLC horde playlist). This of course meant that those maps never came up since there always was at least one guy without the map pack (or if everybody had the maps, there was still only a small chance for one of those maps to come up in the map voting).

Diablohead, with the horde pack maps, only the host needs to have it for one of those maps to come up in map voting. I've had one of the horde pack maps come up pretty often.

-PXG-

I know this is Gears, and people will bitch about everything, but I feel the game is damn near perfect now. Everything feels right, especially now that finally the flame nades got a the buff they needed.

The only thing we need now is Stranded to be permanent!

I'll drink to that.

I just wish I had more time to play.

Since I have a capture card i'll grab some online footage, it would be great if people could let me know if it's the same sort of situations for them or not so I can put my mind at rest. I won't be selective and i'll play as normal, see what happens :(

As a Season Pass holder I really wish they'd just make the new maps available to everyone.
Its not good if the people who paid for these maps cant use them cause others haven't paid.

Brakara

Since I have a capture card i'll grab some online footage, it would be great if people could let me know if it's the same sort of situations for them or not so I can put my mind at rest. I won't be selective and i'll play as normal, see what happens :(

Why not just try in a controlled private match (with a second controller)? Active Gnasher vs active lancer at mid-distance (10-15 meters). What downs who first? Then upload to youtube.

Online, there is a chance that you're in a crossfire, so even though you only see one person firing at you, there may actually be others as well (e.g., long distance rifle fire).

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Have been playing a lot over the weekend and only got to play one new map this whole time! I only play TDM though, but Epic really should have done what they did last time and just have a "New maps TDM" for the first two weeks or so.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'll drink to that.

I just wish I had more time to play.

Same, typically now I'm too tired from lifting or I'm busy with family/school shit. This summer I should have more time since I'll only have my internship, so there's that.

As a Season Pass holder I really wish they'd just make the new maps available to everyone.
Its not good if the people who paid for these maps cant use them cause others haven't paid.

That's not the issue, unless you're playing player's choice, every playlist is map packs.

OOhhh!!
A GoW3's thread!!
Click here to see my new GoW3 montage :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLmIGsbvQw

Fair warning, if you were going to try to make a new thread just for a montage, well, you wouldn't last long. That shit belongs in the OTs/community threads.

New topics are typically for game news or new content/questions (use the search button).

Chances are unless it's new, news, anything you're going to ask/post already has a thread.

Brakara

That's not the issue, unless you're playing player's choice, every playlist is map packs.

That's statistically improbable. There should be, on average, a Fenix Rising map every 4th match if that was true, which is definitely not the case. I've played 60+ matches since the map pack was released, and have maybe seen a new map 3-4 times.

This, combined with so many others here not seeing the new maps, makes me believe there's something strange going on with the matchmaking.

i got escalation in horde Friday night. My team decided to put the base in the middle like dumbfucks.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That's statistically improbable. There should be, on average, a Fenix Rising map every 4th match if that was true, which is definitely not the case. I've played 60+ matches since the map pack was released, and have maybe seen a new map 3-4 times.

This, combined with so many others here not seeing the new maps, makes me believe there's something strange going on with the matchmaking.

Well, you're wrong.

https://twitter.com/#!/quinndelhoyo/status/161176254907813889

Quinn said:
@AlienShogun All playlists use DLC except Players' Choice.

Why not just try in a controlled private match (with a second controller)? Active Gnasher vs active lancer at mid-distance (10-15 meters). What downs who first? Then upload to youtube.

Online, there is a chance that you're in a crossfire, so even though you only see one person firing at you, there may actually be others as well (e.g., long distance rifle fire).

I'll try it out but I can usually tell when someone is shooting at me or not depending where on the map I get 2 hit downed.

Ballistik

Why can't they just order the maps in alphabetical order? They had it like that in Gears 2 for the longest time, and now they choose to randomize it. I prefer knowing the upcoming maps instead of making it a surprise every time.

Why can't they just order the maps in alphabetical order? They had it like that in Gears 2 for the longest time, and now they choose to randomize it. I prefer knowing the upcoming maps instead of making it a surprise every time.
Amen, brother. I'm sure many people would welcome that change.

I've slowly been losing my will to play this game, what with real life stuff and some design decisions shaping up the game in ways I disagree with. Today I've been getting some achievements out of the way including the one that requires getting all the ribbons. How sad is it to realize I had more fun farming achievements while fooling around with friends than later on when I tried to play a couple of serious versus games? I'm starting to get worried. :/

I haven't been lucky with matchmaking and Fenix Rising maps either, by the way. I've only played a new map once in public versus since the DLC hit, which is pretty unacceptable. It happened with Gears 2 as well until they decided to add a map pack playlist to solve the problem. It just doesn't feel right paying for maps I'm not playing on even 10% of the time.

cresto

It used to be like this, actually. I found it very boring, to be honest. I always seemed to get stuck right around old town and would end up having to play through overpass and sandbar to get to the better maps. I absolutely despise those maps! They are horrible for MP and should only belong in Horde.

It is nice to know what is coming up, but if you just play ranked matches then you don't have to worry and can pick what you'd like to play.

Just a reminder: If anyone wants to play competitive ranked matches, send me a friend request. Playing alone gets boring. GT: FREIGHT TRAIN68

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom