• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Did you ever wonder, when you are having a really good match - that maybe you got host?

I don't always host the party that I'm in, but when I do, and my gnasher feels strong...I wonder (who am I to complain when the Gears gods throw a bone my way though?).

Anyway, all bitching aside, this game has got my attention now, and for my foreseeable multi-player future. Have really considered trading in COD as I haven't gotten past level 52 there (never play anymore - hate leaving Gears sexiness).

Nah, because I always use smoke, and mine never twirls.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I think a lot of people tend to blame the game and use lag as a scapegoat when it's most likely their own fault they died.

When I die I know it's your fault for not sharing the power weapons, leaving me defenseless and helpless against the Locust Horde.

Seriously, when I die it's 99% my fault. I die a lot, so I know this to be true. So many good players in this game! They bend me over and shove their multiple peni into my anus.

In Gears 2 I would yell bullshit a lot because, well, a lot of my deaths were bullshit. In Gears 3 I still yell bullshit, but only out of frustration!

So some guy noticed they removed stopping power on the Retro and the Hammerburst. It's true. Lancer's yet another step up over the other rifles.

Brakara

I think most people know when they've been outplayed, and maybe some people bitch about it and blame the servers/etc, sure.

Lately, I've been watching some live listens ins (or recorded), and I can't believe the number of (some even pro) players yelling "laaaag", "bullshit", "fuck this game", etc. when they get outplayed.

RSTEIN

So some guy noticed they removed stopping power on the Retro and the Hammerburst. It's true. Lancer's yet another step up over the other rifles.

SERIOUSLY? Ha, I wasn't going crazy! Man, dudes were rolling up to me no problem yesterday and shottying me to bits. Bullets didn't stop them at all.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Yesterday I was purely playing Lancer, and someone ran straight through my shots and killed me twice - granted it was a Lancer and not a HB or Retro, but it caught me off-guard big time, and now this is posted.

Hmmmmm. Wonder if it was a temporary mistake to remove it from all rifles?

Either way, it makes sense in a way that the most damaging rifles are made more fair, but it doesn't in a way that one rifle can while two others can't - always hated that kind of strange balancing in a game - it's either all or none.

RSTEIN

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Yesterday I was purely playing Lancer, and someone ran straight through my shots and killed me twice - granted it was a Lancer and not a HB or Retro, but it caught me off-guard big time, and now this is posted.

Hmmmmm. Wonder if it was a temporary mistake to remove it from all rifles?

Either way, it makes sense in a way that the most damaging rifles are made more fair, but it doesn't in a way that one rifle can while two others can't - always hated that kind of strange balancing in a game - it's either all or none.

Well, if you really think about it, the Lancer shouldn't be the only weapon with stopping power.

The only weapon with stopping power should be the Retro. The Hammy is deadly accurate and a great long range weapon. The lancer fires like a laser and is great for mid range. The retro fires bigger, more damaging bullets at a slower rate. It is, by its very design, a close-to-mid range weapon. Because it sucks at longer range stuff the payoff should be stopping power.

Well, if you really think about it, the Lancer shouldn't be the only weapon with stopping power.

The only weapon with stopping power should be the Retro. The Hammy is deadly accurate and a great long range weapon. The lancer fires like a laser and is great for mid range. The retro fires bigger, more damaging bullets at a slower rate. It is, by its very design, a close-to-mid range weapon. Because it sucks at longer range stuff the payoff should be stopping power.

Yeah, I don't know about eliminating stopping power completely; maybe a nerfin' would have done the job. 90% of the time, the situations in which the Retro yields the best results is also Gnasher territory. You're really only a few evasive rolls away from getting gib'd.

Some people are saying stopping power got removed on the Lancer as well but since I don't personally use it I can't say for sure. I don't think Epic would ever remove stopping power from the game altogether, but you never know. All I know is that I've been much more effective wallbouncing and getting kills with the Gnasher tonight, and I'm not a spectacular player by any means.

Maybe Epic toned down stopping power in general, I don't know. Would be nice to have some actual official word on this.

malfcn

Anyone else have a glitch where everyone in your party gets kicked from LiVE? A buddy and I were kicked the other teams butt. Then the Host Migration (where the dedis? lulz) popped up and then we both get kicked from Xbox Live.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Some people are saying stopping power got removed on the Lancer as well but since I don't personally use it I can't say for sure. I don't think Epic would ever remove stopping power from the game altogether, but you never know. All I know is that I've been much more effective wallbouncing and getting kills with the Gnasher tonight, and I'm not a spectacular player by any means.

Maybe Epic toned down stopping power in general, I don't know. Would be nice to have some actual official word on this.

It was clear as day when it happened to me last night, and like I mentioned before, it completely caught me off-guard both times it happened in the same match by the same guy.

I was only in that situation those two times, so I don't know if it was temporary, or I was off with my hipfiring, but it stood out so much, for the first time ever in Gears 3, and then I read about SP being removed here.

That's what I mean - why drop it for those two and not the Lancer as well? If one rifle has stopping power, they all should. Logically it makes no sense.

USD

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure whether the Retro Lancer had stopping power at all. By the time it would be relevant, you pretty much already downed your target anyway. Losing stopping power on the Hammerburst is significant though.

TRios Zen

This would be the best game ever.

It already isyeahhhhhhhhhhh.

Affirmative!

What I just showed in that video was in a private match on my own box with the current title update.

So, hard aim gives you a "stronger" shot then huh? I ain't one to bitch (all-right I am), but wtf epic? Of all things to mess with, this really isn't one of them. Gnasher is a great, up-close and personal, skill weapon in Gears 3 - leave it alone!

Hey don't get me wrong, I love my lancer, and the rifles have a prominent place in this game. But the gnasher is my baby!

Isn't it more to reward proper and accurate aiming? Kinda like how iron-sights is always going to trump hip-firing in CoD and whatnot.

EDIT: Come to think of it, doesn't this apply to every other gun in the game? Isn't it kind of normal? Am I missing something here?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Isn't it more to reward proper and accurate aiming? Kinda like how iron-sights is always going to trump hip-firing in CoD and whatnot.

EDIT: Come to think of it, doesn't this apply to every other gun in the game? Isn't it kind of normal? Am I missing something here?

Watch the video.

The pattern of the shot should not change, aimed or not. Aiming effectively makes the gnasher do more damage at range. THIS is what's causing all the people to think that the gnasher suddenly got more range.

Edit: Quinn is saying it's always been that way, but I could have swore I tested it before and it wasn't.

I'm probably just crazy.

Watch the video.

Aiming effectively makes the gnasher do more damage at range.

... Doesn't this make perfectly fine sense?

And I did watch. Illin' one-handed shooting skills, brah.

EDIT: So, basically, what they've done is ensure that a perfectly aimed hard-aim will always be more effective than a perfectly-aimed hip-fire at identical range. I see the gripe, sure, but it also makes sense.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
... Doesn't this make perfectly fine sense?

And I did watch. Illin' one-handed shooting skills, brah.

lol.

It doesn't make sense in the fact it changes the way the weapon fires. That's the only point.

A lot of people didn't like it in GOW 2 because it lead to a lot of people just hardaiming corners and shit.

Quinn says it's been that way the whole time, so none of it matters anyway.

lol.

It doesn't make sense in the fact it changes the way the weapon fires. That's the only point.

A lot of people didn't like it in GOW 2 because it lead to a lot of people just hardaiming corners and shit.

Quinn says it's been that way the whole time, so none of it matters anyway.

I guess so. Hard-aiming yeilding a more "focused" shot isn't that hard to reconcile with in my eyes.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I guess so. Hard-aiming yeilding a more "focused" shot isn't that hard to reconcile with in my eyes.

With a shotgun which fires all the pellets at once it's a bit odd. It would make more sense with a rifle, which the lancer is still a laser even hipfired.

Anyway, now that I know this, it will change how I play.

RSTEIN

100% confirmed lancer has stopping power. Thirdengn and I tested it. Hammerburst DOES NOT have stopping power.

unomas

Banned
Affirmative!

So, hard aim gives you a "stronger" shot then huh? I ain't one to bitch (all-right I am), but wtf epic? Of all things to mess with, this really isn't one of them. Gnasher is a great, up-close and personal, skill weapon in Gears 3 - leave it alone!

Hey don't get me wrong, I love my lancer, and the rifles have a prominent place in this game. But the gnasher is my baby!

Yup, there are reasons why the Gnasher has been more effective.Hard aiming definitely deals more damage than it previously did. As I said a few pages back, a team of very good Gnasher rushers can take you out quickly in TDM now, and there has been a huge increase in the number of Gnasher users overall since these changes took place.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Removed from HB? Because I remember downing people fast with it.

Stopping power is what makes them not able to run at you when you're shooting them. It basically slows them down to a crawl. The gun's damage is high as hell, but they removed the stopping power.

Yup, there are reasons why the Gnasher has been more effective.Hard aiming definitely deals more damage than it previously did. As I said a few pages back, a team of very good Gnasher rushers can take you out quickly in TDM now, and there has been a huge increase in the number of Gnasher users overall since these changes took place.

Nope, it's the same.

unomas

Banned
Didn't test the retro. I don't think it has stopping power based on gameplay.

Correct, I don't think it had stopping power to begin with, just hard to run through it regardless because of the damage it does especially with an active. The Gnasher is like a mid range sniper now though so it does render the retro less effective because of the limited range of the Retro.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
So the HB has the smallest clip, no damage modifier of any sort, the least beneficial active, and now no stopping power? Great. Really giving people an incentive to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom