• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone grabbed this one yet?
carmine-cl3n5o9.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Net_Wrecker said:
People justifying the prices are kinda missing the point. It's the idea that anyone should have to pay for this crap, period.

When "we aren't forced" to buy individual maps, weapons, and chapters in 5-10 years, I hope you all remember that this generation was where it all started.
Yup. Basically missing all the implications of such in the industry, the direction it's headed with shit like ads force fed into something you already own, paying for files you already bought and paying more to use features already included on your disc. It's more than just "if you don't like it, don't buy it" because this is what has led to SO much fucking bullshit this gen vs. last gen, that isn't evolutionary from the gamer's perspective at all.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
enzo_gt said:
Yup. Basically missing all the implications of such in the industry, the direction it's headed with shit like ads force fed into something you already own, paying for files you already bought and paying more to use features already included on your disc. It's more than just "if you don't like it, don't buy it."

That's the problem, with IP laws you don't own all the content on the disk, you don't even own the game. You own the right to play what the developer lets you play.

At least that's my understanding of it.

Anyway, like I said before. Vote with your wallet, maybe if there's enough of you, you will make a "point," but if Ebay is any indicator, I doubt it.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Quick notes

1. Microsoft prices the content, not Epic. Same reactions were had for the Halo DLC when it first came out. Don't blame the developer, blame the scum that is microsoft.
2. Don't buy the weapon backs. Period. MS will adjust the prices when they notice they fucked up

Willeth

Alienshogun said:
The entirety of your argument is subjective.

Price is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it and what we get as a package is determined by the merchant/manufacturer.

This boils down to "if you don't like it, don't buy it" or the ever popular "vote with your wallet."
True enough, but if someone's willing to pay $45 just for the weapon skins, does that mean they're willing to pay $200 for the game disc? I mean, 21 weapon skins cost forty-five bucks! How much does an act cost, then? There are four player characters and eighty enemies in one chapter! How much is an enemy worth? Then there are four ammo boxes in each? So let's say a chapter's worth ten bucks, just to make it easy. There's five chapters in an act, so each act is worth fifty bucks, and then there's five whole chapters in a game? That's a $250 value, so actually if I buy the game for two hundred bucks I'm saving money!

You know what? After typing all this I've realised what nonsense I'm spouting but I'm leaving it here so you guys can riff off it. Do me proud.

dmg04 said:
2. Don't buy the weapon backs. Period. MS will adjust the prices when they notice they fucked up
Okay, serious point here - when MS reduce it, watch the rate of how many people buy it because it's on sale. Those are the numbers you want to watch out for, because that shows MS that there's actually a demand for this stuff and they've priced it incorrectly, not that people don't want them at all.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
dmg04 said:
Quick notes

1. Microsoft prices the content, not Epic. Same reactions were had for the Halo DLC when it first came out. Don't blame the developer, blame the scum that is microsoft.

I honestly doubt they will adjust the prices.

Shit, some DLC on games released long ago are still what they were.

iluvgames

Banned
dmg04 said:
Quick notes

MS DON'T ADJUST, YOU ADJUST UNDERSTAND :)

dagZ

dmg04 said:
Quick notes

1. It's true, but epic did put them on the disc knowing that microsoft would rape the consumers.

2. they won't adjust them.

Alienshogun said:
Anyway, like I said before. Vote with your wallet, maybe if there's enough of you, you will make a "point," but if Ebay is any indicator, I doubt it.

This never works because there are usually always just enough people who don't mind spending it that will make everyone at Epic and/or Microsoft smile and Scrooge McDuck into their money pool. Then in 10 years those same people will happily buy their game piece by piece after already paying full price for all of it, and people on Neogaf 3.0 will wonder how they ever got in that position.

Untracked

Holy fucking lol at those weapon skin prices! I'll stick with the unlockable ones, thanks.

Gears of War 3 |OT| DLC Rape Till The End!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Willeth said:
True enough, but if someone's willing to pay $45 just for the weapon skins, does that mean they're willing to pay $200 for the game disc? I mean, 21 weapon skins cost forty-five bucks! How much does an act cost, then? There are four player characters and eighty enemies in one chapter! How much is an enemy worth? Then there are four ammo boxes in each? So let's say a chapter's worth ten bucks, just to make it easy. There's five chapters in an act, so each act is worth fifty bucks, and then there's five whole chapters in a game? That's a $250 value, so actually if I buy the game for two hundred bucks I'm saving money!

You know what? After typing all this I've realised what nonsense I'm spouting but I'm leaving it here so you guys can riff off it. Do me proud.

105 skins, but I understand your worry, however, it's a slippery slope. You're assuming an outcome based on what you perceive as a bad trend.

At a certain point the balance between what people are willing to spend and what content will cost will balance out. This isn't the apocalypse so many think it is. Especially since we are dealing with cosmetic content.

Anyway, I doubt anyone would spend 45 dollars for all the skins, they just left that option there. I can't see anyone wanting ALL the skins.

Im sorry, but I am gonna buy like 3 or 4 skins Ive bought so much shit on avatar marketplace its crazy..Im just mad the skin is gun-specific..other than that..cant wait to buss yall ass with the skins on my gun..bite me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
LeonSKennedy90 said:

I assumed he was joking, if not, well someone was going to do it.

It's still not that big of a shock when people were buying gold lancer/Hammerburst codes off or Ebay for 30-50 dollars.

Alienshogun said:
The entirety of your argument is subjective.

Price is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it and what we get as a package is determined by the merchant/manufacturer.

This boils down to "if you don't like it, don't buy it" or the ever popular "vote with your wallet."
I get what you're trying to say, shogun, but asking $45 (in total) for something like this is, to me, just a sad sign of what the games industry has come to. Sure, you can choose to "vote with your wallet", but the fact is: someone out there thinks people who play games can be exploited like this. I say "exploited" because honestly, that's what it feels like. They'll keep charging more and more for shit that, in all honesty, should've either been in the game from the start, or just a lot cheaper in general. Skins for weapons? Come on.

Then again, I can't imagine anyone would want to spend money on freakin' weapon skins, so this problem may solve itself. They all look like stupid gimmicks to me, anyway. :lol

Lima

JambiBum said:
You don't get the beta unlocks until the day 1 TU. They've said it on multiple occasions.

You are wrong. Most of my friends have all there stuff from the beta unlocked. I didn't get them. I only got my medal for level 100 in Gears 2.

Willeth

StalkerUKCG said:
So, after thinking it over. And with the 105 skins thing im leaning towards buying these skins.
Heh. Think of how many Arcade games you could buy with those 3600 MSP. Remember that you'll only ever use five two at once, and think about how much you value earned skins like the golds, chromes etc over stuff you bought.

If you still even want it, go ahead, I guess.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Blue Ninja said:
I get what you're trying to say, shogun, but asking $45 (in total) for something like this is, to me, just a sad sign of what the games industry has come to. Sure, you can choose to "vote with your wallet", but the fact is: someone out there thinks people who play games can be exploited like this. I say "exploited" because honestly, that's what it feels like. They'll keep charging more and more for shit that, in all honesty, should've either been in the game from the start, or just a lot cheaper in general.

Then again, I can't imagine anyone would want to spend money on freakin' weapon skins, so this problem may solve itself. They all look like stupid gimmicks to me, anyway. :lol

I'm not agreeing with the price, my gripe is with the asshats who are getting pissed off and threatening to be dicks to people who buy the content.

The price is high, especially if you're buying all of the skins, but be a fucking adult about it if you decide not to buy them.

Jaguar

I think they really fucked up by bundling them in sets. I would've gladly bought a couple of skins if they were individual and cheap...but the way they're selling these is stupid.

Alienshogun said:
I'm not agreeing with the price, my gripe is with the asshats who are getting pissed off and threatening to be dicks to people who buy the content.

The price is high, especially if you're buying all of the skins, but be a fucking adult about it if you decide not to buy them.
Wasn't saying you were. I was just saying that the "don't buy 'em" argument is all well and good, the fact that someone thought prices like these were good ideas to begin with is just disturbing. :lol

These things used to be unlocked as a reward to the player for completing the game. Now it seems they are made specifically to sell, and the rationale is achievements, trophies, etc., are enough reward. I'm sorry, I'm just too old school to get down with this movement. I will support content that adds extra features and content to a game, but skins and virtual jewelry for avatars and all that crap crosses the line for me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Blue Ninja said:
Wasn't saying you were. I was just saying that the "don't buy 'em" argument is all well and good, the fact that someone thought prices like these were good ideas to begin with is just disturbing. :lol

It all goes back to Ebay pricing. They saw what people were willing to pay.

Ballistik

Well let's see if they're not getting as much money as they could of, (atleast from the people on this forum) .

Who would buy the bulk at say, $5? I would. I know lots of friends would.

Remember, pretty much nobody in here goes for $45.

Volimar

I honestly don't see a problem with it. It's a high price so I'm just going to pretend they don't exist. I'll be using flaming weapon skins with occasional swap outs to whatever I unlock.

If it wasn't put in the game to be paid for dlc, then it probably wouldn't have been put in the game at all. So let the people that want to have them get them. How does it really affect you at all?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Lol, I know a free way to obtain these weapon skins!
Kill whoever has the skin. Pick up his weapon. Poop on the rest of his team.

#Boohyeah

Ballistik said:
Well let's see if they're not getting as much money as they could of, (atleast from the people on this forum) .

Who would buy the bulk at say, $5? I would. I know lots of friends would.
If these skins were 80 allards a pop i'd buy a few over the months to mix things up , but at 240+ i'd prefer to buy a nice good playing indie game, or some real dlc in a sale.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
perineumlick said:
These things used to be unlocked as a reward to the player for completing the game. Now it seems they are made specifically to sell, and the rationale is achievements, trophies, etc., are enough reward. I'm sorry, I'm just too old school to get down with this movement. I will support content that adds extra features and content to a game, but skins and virtual jewelry for avatars and all that crap crosses the line for me.

The idea is to keep you playing because you paid for content. At least, that's what I'm seeing it as now. So you stand to lose your investment if you move to another game.

The idea of selling all that content (skins) came from people buying them for huge prices on Ebay.

Lunchbox

Banned
dmg04 said:
Lol, I know a free way to obtain these weapon skins!
Kill whoever has the skin. Pick up his weapon. Poop on the rest of his team.

#Boohyeah
if teammate has them ill definitely try my best to get him killed, draw enemy attention, block his way, run. or even stay there/set off nades just to get them killed even if i have to sacrifice myself

killing scum > my ratio

Willeth

Hey, a fun bit of perspective because now I've got a taste for throwing spanners into places they don't belong I want to keep doing it: Shadow Complex is 1200 MSP, which means it's worth exactly thirty-five weapon skins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom