• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkChild

Banned
Meisadragon said:
Just read that Digital Foundry article. Man, it's amazing what the Xbox 360 is capable of when developers take advantage of its architecture. Good show, Epic.
Yea, notice how many alphas they dropped in game( dust, smoke), similar to Resistance 3. No cutbacks there.

I finished it now. First thing: Hardcore is easy. Too easy in my opinion. My main critic point is, that you need to read the books to fully understand the story. The main story is understandable. But a lot of stuff happen during the main story. Areas, characters I never heard about appeared. etc.

Otherwise I really want to try out the game in 3D.

Meisadragon said:
Just read that Digital Foundry article. Man, it's amazing what the Xbox 360 is capable of when developers take advantage of its architecture. Good show, Epic.

That is a big reason why im interested in Ryse from crytek.
How much more can they get out of the box with a exclusive title.
And hopefully crytek can get that realtime gi going on consoles they had some papers of it somewhere.

So far i believe Bf3 will be the first to have it real time.
Man next gen should be so nice to have a lot of stuff realtime hopefully cutscenes will be interactive also in realtime like Half life 2 and Crysis 2(the in level ones not the loading screens).

RS4-

Ugh, didn't realize the weapon execution reqs went up x4 from the Beta. Wasn't sure if I expected it to be that much.

-PXG-

RS4- said:
Ugh, didn't realize the weapon execution reqs went up x4 from the Beta. Wasn't sure if I expected it to be that much.

Starting weapons were 25 in the beta. Retail is 200. I'm not sure what the requirements are for pickup/special weapons. It was 15 in the beta though.

-PXG-

Addnan said:
Yep, stay still smash a you get up quick.

Good. Self revive is pointless if it takes forever to get up. You might was well play Warzone.

Backfoggen said:
Is the drive still spinning after install a bug or a downside of the new disc format?

That's just what the new format does. It takes a few minutes for it to stop.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
A little over halfway through Campaign now (at least I think so), and the Campaign is still firing on all cylinders - the game really delivers, and I haven't even touched multiplayer/Horde/Beast yet.

CrankyKong said:
Because it links to a Jim Sterling piece?

I have no beef with Destructoid in general, but with their reputation across the board, I didn't. I could be wrong, but whatever.

Zezboob said:
Reading helps. It always helps....

Yes. Reading always helps.

Especially when Eurogamer gave Gears 2 a 9 out of 10, and gave Gears 3 an 8, you know, just like I said in my very short post, and like Cliffy himself said right under the quote you posted yourself.

I tried to write that in the nicest way possible, because your post was so damn stupid, and on top of that, you wanted to get snarky with it too.

RS4-

-PXG- said:
Starting weapons were 25 in the beta. Retail is 200. I'm not sure what the requirements are for pickup/special weapons. It was 15 in the beta though.

Whoops, my math is horrible. Yeah 200 for the starting five, 40 for the non default weapons.

Willeth

Okay, so I guess the beta unlocks not happening is unique to me, then? I just joined a TDM game with a guy using Cole Train, so it's not like I need to wait for the TU or anything.

I definitely earned everything possible. I even unlocked every execution, including the Hammer of Dawn, just for completion's sake. The only thing I can think of that might affect this is that my beta code was from the US, but I doubt that'd make a difference.

Epic, if you're heading this, halp plz.

Hi-tekk said:
Just checked this, and the answer is yes.

Raxus

RS4- said:
You can unlock the executions during the campaign. It isn't going to be too difficult.

Brakara

Willeth said:
EDIT: Also, holy shit the first chapter. Anyone who hasn't watched the first few minutes of campaign from any of the videos, try to resist until you get it. I was amazed.

Yeah, I couldn't resist. Great stuff, but wish I saved it for my first playthrough. Still, worth it for the
"You fucked up my tomatoes, you assholes!"
quote.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Addnan said:
Exe/War first to 3 :/. WTF.

When the game ends does it start another one with the same teams or does it dump you back to the lobby like Gears 2?

If it just keeps going I think first to 3 would work better

Brakara

D4Danger said:
When the game ends does it start another one with the same teams or does it dump you back to the lobby like Gears 2?

In the beta, ranked dumped you back to the lobby while social (or what it's called) rotated the maps.

Raxus

D4Danger said:

Player matches keep going. Ranked you got back to the lobby. The only purpose of ranked is to appear on the leaderboards.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Brakara said:
In the beta, ranked dumped you back to the lobby while social (or what it's called) rotated the maps.

that's disappointing.

Raxus said:
Player matches keep going. Ranked you got back to the lobby. The only purpose of ranked is to appear on the leaderboards.

if that's true then I'm just going to play social. I hate waiting in the lobby.

social also fills out player spaces with bots, right? so there's no waiting around

Brakara

D4Danger said:
social also fills out player spaces with bots, right? so there's no waiting around

Right. The advantage with ranked is supposedly finding matches with equal skilled players and teams, or at least in theory. But in practice (or at least in the beta) that didn't work out too well.

Addnan

I was so surprised. I went 3-1 down and was like this is it, i'm gonna start a fight back.Was gonna go gamechat Suddenly. Locust wins the match.

Lima

Backfoggen said:
Is the drive still spinning after install a bug or a downside of the new disc format?

It is not a bug. It is a security feature but only the old phat 360 does it and one specific slim version.

The reason the slim console doesn't spin the disc is that these drives where designed with XDG3 already in mind.

The other benefit of this new format is that you know that every person you play with online has paid for the game since you can't pirate this new shit yet.

So I think from that point of view a few minutes of drive noise is acceptable.

Triple Oceans said:
Guest play?

You can play online with two players in splitscreen and only need one gold account. The other account is a guest account.

JB1981

-PXG- said:
Nope.

If I ever find the Ark of the Covenant, I'm going to put my copy of Gears 2 inside and bury it. Thousands of years later, someone will find it, open and endure the wrath and torture that is Gears of War 2.
The game is only enjoyable on Normal difficulty. Anything other than that is an exercise in torture. If you are playing solo, that is. Btw does this game support campaign matchmaking ???

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Triple Oceans said:
Guest play?
I assume he means 2 players from one console playing online.

In which case FUCK YEAH.

Lima said:
You can play online with two players in splitscreen and only need one gold account. The other account is a guest account.
FUCK YEAH. How does experience work though?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lima said:
First player that is signed in with his account gets experience, the guest account gets none.
Ah, so guest doesn't contribute any xp to the signed in player then I'm guessing. Makes sense, would've been cool if they did though for the rare times I would do it.

RBK

Banned
If only Epic were able to provide us with a TDM with Execution rules...

Execution is probably still going to be where I spend most of my time playing, but the reduction to 3 rounds is bad. Games will be over super quick.

-PXG-

I looked at the medals in greater detail. Yeah...nobody is getting Seriously 3.0. You have to get Onyx for EVERY medal in order to get it. Level 100 is one of them (odd how they word the achievement description, it's awfully redundant).

People will find a way to glitch it, I'm certain. No one has that amount of time. Plus, a lot of those medals are skill based. You can't get them just by grinding.

Lima said:

I gotcha. But isn't that what Hi-tekk had originally asked anyway? Did Willeth just answer his question twice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom