• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willeth

Got all my gold guns no problem because I have all the secondary requirements, but none of my beta unlocks, Crimson Omen Lancer or Griffin unlocked for some reason. I still have my player data and they're sitting happily on my hard drive.

OrangeOak

Willeth said:
Got all my gold guns no problem because I have all the secondary requirements, but none of my beta unlocks, Crimson Omen Lancer or Griffin unlocked for some reason. I still have my player data and they're sitting happily on my hard drive.

can you tell me how many people there is online worldwide ?

Willeth

OrangeOak said:
can you tell me how many people there is online worldwide ?
846 TDM, 93 Warzone, 65 Execution, 31 CTL, 177 KOTH, 31 Wingman. Nobody is playing Horde or Beast.

I was wrong about Griffin and the Cirmson Omen Lancer, they're showing up in the multiplayer menu but not in the unlocks part. I don't know why my beta unlocks aren't unlocking, but they're staying firm. Hoping the TU fixes that.

Shadybiz

Played some Gears 2 warzone last night to warm up for this one. I am......not good. I guess I've been playing FPS for so long that I forgot how to do the whole 3rd person thing. Just some tuning up is needed, I guess.

Willeth said:
846 TDM, 93 Warzone, 65 Execution, 31 CTL, 177 KOTH, 31 Wingman. Nobody is playing Horde or Beast.

I was wrong about Griffin and the Cirmson Omen Lancer, they're showing up in the multiplayer menu but not in the unlocks part. I don't know why my beta unlocks aren't unlocking, but they're staying firm. Hoping the TU fixes that.
really? wow tdm taking over huh

OrangeOak

Willeth said:

Thanks a lot !
TDM is very popular now,I was always warzoner but maybe it's time to switch :)

Lima

The Xtortionist said:
Just realized how stupid Seriously 3.0 is. Good luck to anyone who plans on playing 50+ days to unlock it.

I'm doing it. Nothing can stop the Cole Train baby! Wohooo

Willeth

Mihael Mello Keehl said:
really? wow tdm taking over huh
Meh, I don't know that this is a firm prediction. It's a vicious circle - people will only play what others are playing so they aren't playing with bots. A lot of the early folk are reviewers, too, who are more likely to gravitate towards TDM because it's more accessible and what they know from the beta.

EDIT: Also, holy shit the first chapter. Anyone who hasn't watched the first few minutes of campaign from any of the videos, try to resist until you get it. I was amazed.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Anyone's game still running from the disk even after an install? This is really annoying me. Never happened to me before.

Willeth

Superimposer said:
Anyone's game still running from the disk even after an install? This is really annoying me. Never happened to me before.
The newer discs tend to do this, I hear. It'll calm down after five minutes or so.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Willeth said:
The newer discs tend to do this, I hear. It'll calm down after five minutes or so.

I see, is this to do with the new disk format or whatever that they trialled? Thanks for the quick response.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The Xtortionist said:
Just realized how stupid Seriously 3.0 is. Good luck to anyone who plans on playing 50+ days to unlock it.

That's something that is just gonna happen eventually down the line. I don't think anyone is going to sit down for x amount of hours a day with the 'ok im going to get the achievement' mindset for a year straight. Or they'll just cheat like in gears 1.

Lima

Superimposer said:
I see, is this to do with the new disk format or whatever that they trialled? Thanks for the quick response.

Yes it is. Are you playing on an old phat console? Shouldn't be happening on a slim.

Lima

Gr1mLock said:
That's something that is just gonna happen eventually down the line. I don't think anyone is going to sit down for x amount of hours a day with the 'ok im going to get the achievement' mindset for a year straight. Or they'll just cheat like in gears 1.

You can do all of the requirements for the medals in private matches against bots, so yes there will be people playing everyday and rushing towards this achievement.

Sry for double post.

Raxus

The Xtortionist said:
At least it has variety. We no longer have to play the same chapter over and over 200x times.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just woke up, still feel a lil' like crap from the sickness I had the past two days, but I really wanna jump back into Campaign - forced myself to stop just so that I could get some proper rest.

The Xtortionist said:

I have more than that with Gears 1 and 2, I can do that with the improvements of Gears 3 with my eyes closed. I love the challenge as it really feels like only a true fan will get it, and I surely will.

Sn4ke_911 said:

I'm not clicking the link, but their title does not match what you bolded at all - it makes him sound pompous that Gears 3 "only" got an 8, but what he really means is that he thinks that it's nonsense that people are grading Gears 2 higher than Gears 3. And he's absolutely right.

-PXG-

OP is updated with mutator and achievement info. I've reached the text limit. I might ask to get a second post so I can add the actual list.

CliffyB

Playah
mickcenary said:
While it is arguably douchy of him to act as such, I do get where he's coming from in regards to Gears 2 scoring better than Gears 3 when the latter is clearly the better game. And yes, I understand that that's how time-lapse and reviews go when releasing a similar product, but it's a bit of a slap in the face to his "baby".

I personally believe that Gears 3 is far better than Gears 2. :)

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
Quick question, can me and friend (who's sitting next to me) play co-op online with other players in the campaign mode like Left for Dead 2?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
well, may be Gears 3 misses something compared to previous games. May be it's generally better but worse in some other aspects. All these 8s were justified in reviews. I can understand why he cares since he put a lot of effort in this game.

I might buy X360 on Christmas to play this game. Gears 3, Bayonetta, Trials... I think that's it. oh well...

OrangeOak

From Digital Foundry article:

It's safe to say that Gears of War 3 is one of the most advanced video games of this generation, and a ringing endorsement of what the Xbox 360 is capable of handling when the right people, the right tech, a lengthy development cycle and an inordinately large budget are in play. From a technological perspective, with just a few caveats that we've touched upon, the overall presentation is first class.

I can't wait to see this baby in action :D

Zezboob

Skilotonn said:
Sn4ke_911 said:
I'm not clicking the link, but their title does not match what you bolded at all - it makes him sound pompous that Gears 3 "only" got an 8, but what he really means is that he thinks that it's nonsense that people are grading Gears 2 higher than Gears 3. And he's absolutely right.

Reading helps. It always helps....

"Doing great, apart from a couple of haters," Cliffy told VG247, while talking about review scores. When asked to elaborate on the haters in question, he pointed to Eurogamer's 8/10 review.

It's probably the multiplayer that makes Gears 3 a better game than 2. 2 was widely acknowledged to have a poor multiplayer component. However, I don't personally agree that Gears 3's campaign is the best of the lot. It seems too heavily front-loaded to me, with the first three Acts containing almost all of the best moments in the game. I don't think the dialogue is as strong as in 2 (there's no equivalent to Cole's rabble-rousing rant against the Queen), and while it has fewer lows, it doesn't quite hits the heights of 2's best moments, aside from one delightful sequence midway through that may be the finest Gears moment yet.

Those who didn't like 2's set-piece-heavy approach might prefer this, mind. I just felt that 2 was a blistering rollercoaster ride at times, and I never quite got that sensation this time. I do think there was a groundswell of opinion after 2 that fans wanted more of the core combat on which the series made its name and fewer set-pieces, so I imagine that plenty will be happy with how the campaign pans out.

I say all this as someone with a genuine affection for the Gears series and its characters. I'm generally not a big fan of macho dudebro shooters, and you only need to look at something like Killzone 2 to see how salty language and snarky banter can go horribly wrong. But by the time the credits rolled, my exhilaration was tinged with a niggling disappointment that it wasn't *quite* as good as I'd hoped it would be. Still a terrific game, though, and credit to Epic and Karen Traviss for delivering a satisfying sense of closure as the final image fades.

Reckoner

finally got to level 100xp. what am I going to get on gears 3? btw, can someone give me a link with all the unlockables we'll have.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Just read that Digital Foundry article. Man, it's amazing what the Xbox 360 is capable of when developers take advantage of its architecture. Good show, Epic.

-PXG-

Raxus said:
Bah. Beaten.

Anyone want to run through the campaigns one last time?

Nope.

If I ever find the Ark of the Covenant, I'm going to put my copy of Gears 2 inside and bury it. Thousands of years later, someone will find it, open and endure the wrath and torture that is Gears of War 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom