• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

-PXG-

The Xtortionist said:
Stacking a team with 4 other good players should be a piece of cake.

I have little idea of who is good and who isn't. Some of you (and you know who you are) know what's up. I want to play with new people and give them a chance to roll with me and buddies. I just don't want to risk losing. I hate losing. However, I don't want to be an asshole or "that" guy who excludes people. I'll do some "recruiting" during custom matches with people from GAF to get an idea of who can go out there and compete.

I don't want to go in Public or Ranked without knowing how my teammates play. The learning curve is higer in Gears than other games. Plus, you're going against people who've been playing this shit for nearly 5 years. They're not going to be nice. They're not going to show mercy. They're gonna play dirty and rub it in your face. They're gonna use their Gnashers. They're gonna wallbounce. That's just how Gears is.

So, I need people who I can be confident in, knowing that I can depend on them and they can pull their weight. I'm not in the mood to baby sit or carry those who aren't up to speed. I want to win and fuck people up. I want them to hate me for being better, but learn from me become better players themselves. And believe me, I'm nowhere close to being the best player. There are plenty of people on XBL who will beat me every round, match, and every single day of the week. Those guys are REALLY serious about this game. They live and breathe it and know every little facet and how to time their actions almost perfectly.

I love competition. Losing is alright when I was outplayed by someone or a team that was truly better, not because my team couldn't was dysfunctional or just didn't know what to do.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I just like there's less deadtime in between fights/deaths with TDM. I can work with my team without constantly have to look over my shoulder or pressing left on the d-pad as soon as the game starts. You can get a bit more experimental when you're ahead, knowing you got a cushion to ease a failure. And when both teams are good and you're both out of lives, then it gets intense again, like the climax of an action film, saving the best for last. I appreciate more when its built up like that, instead "ok Gridlock, everybody has one life, press left on d-pad, rush out to sniper/boomshot/grenades, fuck other guy up, rinse and repeat". Battles are longer, they change over time, big leads and comebacks a-plenty. It still feels like Gears, but more like a drawn-out war then a quick skirmish.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. In theory I get and like the concept of "1 Life, total adrenaline rush", but in practice it's just not enough gameplay for me. I love how TDM combines the tug-of-war of standard TDM with the chance of those tense classic Gears last life situations as well without most of the downtime. I also enjoy how matches have a chance to get completely flipped on their head anytime 3-5 people spawn simultaneously. Flanking out the ass.

gillFTR

the best thing about gears 2 was the execution where you punch them in the face 3 times while standing over them. Does this make a return in gears 3?

AiTM

Banned
For those who have it, or just people who may know. Any idea on how long it is? I heard 20+ somewhere, then I heard 11 hours or so.

I don't seem all elitist and shit, but I would love a "We run this shit, we're gonna work as a team, we're gonna win" list of GAFers. I hate losing cuz of bad teammates just as much as PXG; nothing more frustrating to trying to play against a good team and your teammates are AFK, trying to chainsaw everybody, and just rushing out in the open to grab the Scorcher of all fucking weapons.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I don't seem all elitist and shit, but I would love a "We run this shit, we're gonna work as a team, we're gonna win" list of GAFers. I hate losing cuz of bad teammates just as much as PXG; nothing more frustrating to trying to play against a good team and your teammates are AFK, trying to chainsaw everybody, and just rushing out in the open to grab the Scorcher of all fucking weapons.

Don't sleep on the scorcher. jk

I know what you're saying, PXG. You have my Hammerburst (that comes loaded with enough assist points to outscore someone with double my kills).

Ballistik

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I'm... alright.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Just got done a couple matches of Gears 1. It'll be one the last times I play it like that for a long time. Oh gosh.

I'm goood at Gears. But I don't take it seriously (as in, I don't care about losing, and I think it's more funny than it is serious, well that's what makes Gears great).

-PXG-

Ballistik said:
I'm... alright.
Oh stop it. You're the best player I've rolled with from GAF. Anf truthfully, you're better than me. It's your movement more than anything that out ranks my skills.

I will say I have very accurate shooting. Once I get the gang of the snipe, it's over...

Ballistik

-PXG- said:
Oh stop it. You're the best player I've rolled with from GAF. Anf truthfully, you're better than me. It's your movement more than anything that out ranks my skills.

I will say I have very accurate shooting. Once I get the gang of the snipe, it's over...
Thanks. We DEFINITELY destroy everyone when we're one full force though. Can't even fathom how that's going to translate going into Gears 3. TWO more days!

K' Dash said:
2znswlx.png

t105654_feels%20bad%20man.jpg

Yep.

Volimar

I'm an incredibly average player. I don't like playing with high pressure people though, I prefer to do my best and enjoy the game win or lose. If you got some "team captain" telling you how shitty you are, it's no fun even when you win...

Xamdou

I chose release date from amazon.com but I know for sure I won't get it until Tuesday afternoon :( What shipping company does amazon use? UPS?

Veelk

Banned
-PXG- said:
I have little idea of who is good and who isn't. Some of you (and you know who you are) know what's up. I want to play with new people and give them a chance to roll with me and buddies. I just don't want to risk losing. I hate losing. However, I don't want to be an asshole or "that" guy who excludes people. I'll do some "recruiting" during custom matches with people from GAF to get an idea of who can go out there and compete.

I don't want to go in Public or Ranked without knowing how my teammates play. The learning curve is higer in Gears than other games. Plus, you're going against people who've been playing this shit for nearly 5 years. They're not going to be nice. They're not going to show mercy. They're gonna play dirty and rub it in your face. They're gonna use their Gnashers. They're gonna wallbounce. That's just how Gears is.

So, I need people who I can be confident in, knowing that I can depend on them and they can pull their weight. I'm not in the mood to baby sit or carry those who aren't up to speed. I want to win and fuck people up. I want them to hate me for being better, but learn from me become better players themselves. And believe me, I'm nowhere close to being the best player. There are plenty of people on XBL who will beat me every round, match, and every single day of the week. Those guys are REALLY serious about this game. They live and breathe it and know every little facet and how to time their actions almost perfectly.

I love competition. Losing is alright when I was outplayed by someone or a team that was truly better, not because my team couldn't was dysfunctional or just didn't know what to do.
Well, I know when I'm not wanted :(

Apoc87

Banned
Alright. Someone give me the straight dope. I'm trying to get to level 100 in gears 2. Do I really need to buy the damn snowblind map pack to get something in gears 3, or can I just have plain ol vanilla level 100? Did I just waste a lot of time? My girlfriend doesn't have gold and we are playing offline horde to level up. If she doesn't have gold, can she get veteran gear?

Ballistik

Apoc87 said:
Alright. Someone give me the straight dope. I'm trying to get to level 100 in gears 2. Do I really need to buy the damn snowblind map pack to get something in gears 3, or can I just have plain ol vanilla level 100? Did I just waste a lot of time? My girlfriend doesn't have gold and we are playing offline horde to level up. If she doesn't have gold, can she get veteran gear?
You need the Veteran Gear achievement for Gears 3 skins.

The Veteran Gear achievement require you to be level 100, AND win a match on every Snowblind level. If you don't have them, then you can't get the achievement. If you can't get the achievement, you can't get the skins.

Addnan

Apoc87 said:
You need snowblind. You have to win on all 4 maps. Just winning locally is enough even though the description says Ranked or Social.

bumpkin

Very late to the party on this, but I just sent a friend invite to the GAF 3 Gears Dos gamertag. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up with more players this time than I did during the beta.

Ballistik

bumpkin said:
Very late to the party on this, but I just sent a friend invite to the GAF 3 Gears Dos gamertag. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up with more players this time than I did during the beta.
Try the third tag. I believe the second one is full, and third is near full.

Apoc87

Banned
Thanks guys. Does anyone else think its kind of stupid that you have to have a map pack for vet gear? I know that all fronts is pretty common to find for purchase, but I know there's plenty of people out there who are still playing on vanilla. Right?

Ballistik

Apoc87 said:
Thanks guys. Does anyone else think its kind of stupid that you have to have a map pack for vet gear? I know that all fronts is pretty common to find for purchase, but I know there's plenty of people out there who are still playing on vanilla. Right?
It is silly, but can be explained. When Gears 2 first launched, it had a 5 level rank system, and then they switched it to 1-100 when people complained about ranks being very vague in terms of how good you were and matches you would win. Snowblind map pack was coming around, and they decided to include achievements for leveling up.

I don't know if it's REQUIRED for achievements to be tied to the DLC that it comes with, but that's exactly what they did for Veteran Gear.

Edit: Also, they didn't want to just check for people with level 100 because of all the issues with the rank getting reset glitch. A lot of people would of been cheated out of it..

dk_

Played some td and horde matches last night, but haven't touched the campaign. So far, I like what I'm seeing!

I've been playing Gears 2 a bit more lately and I forgot how everything is just planting grenades and two piecing. Since this game is so crappy you only hear the grenades half the time and the guns shoot styrofoam so people can just walk up to you and melee.

bumpkin

Ballistik said:
Try the third tag. I believe the second one is full, and third is near full.
Ah, alright. Done and done.

Man, I look forward to weekends and don't want them to be over very fast, but I'm actually willing this one away; I just want it to be midnight on Monday. September 20th is so close, frothing demand and so on.

Do you need the actual Gears 1 game saves in order to unlock the special Gears 3 skins? I have all the achievements, but I'm playing on a new system and I didn't import that save file.

DoomGyver

Doctor West said:
Do you need the actual Gears 1 game saves in order to unlock the special Gears 3 skins? I have all the achievements, but I'm playing on a new system and I didn't import that save file.
Just the achievements.

LEGGZZZZ

Just played so couple rounds of execution, I need that soo good gif right now. I really hope they increase the rounds though, matches are only like 6 to 7 minutes long at best.

Doctor West said:

just the cheevos

LEGGZZZZ said:
Just played so couple rounds of execution, I need that soo good gif right now. I really hope they increase the rounds though, matches are only like 6 to 7 minutes long at best.

So only like 2995 more for Onyx?

cresto

-PXG- said:

Man crush, much? Haha, Jk. Ballistik is a beast. Makes my life easy whenever we hit up the public matches. Ranked was always a different beast.

I'd definitely like to do more ranked then social eventually. Once I am used to the game and the maps, I like the competitiveness of ranked. Only problem? Randoms...

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Avoid youtube....
More like avoid the internet.

Youtube fucked me, Bungie.net fucked me [The Flood Forum]... urgh

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Ajemsuhgao said:
I would gladly trade my Commando Dom skin for a Savage Kantus :(

Nobody wants Dom, I'm sure.
oBTQX.gif
That's why i switched over to Amazon a day or so ago. I wonder if they'd get pissed if i Emailed them saying i never got the skin

I feel bad for ComDom :(

Might keep it just because everyone else is abandoning the dude. HE ALREADY (Gears 2 spoiler)
LOST HIS WIFE
, WHY DON'T YOU GUYS BE NICE FOR A CHANGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom