• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just paid off my shit at my old Gamestop. I'm getting it there for now, but I'll be able to get it next week for $20, so I'll keep the receipt and get the credit back. Plus I ran into one of my old friends back when Gears 1 was alive and kicking, and we pledged to run together through the campaign like old times and Horde it up.

Lothars

Noriega said:
Do you guys think I'll be able to get the limited edition if I pre ordered the standard? I'm going to gamestop like around 7ish to pick up my copy. school til 6 :(
If they have any limited editions left when you go and pick it up than yes you will be able to, just depends how many they have.

ShaneB

It is very strange to go into the multiplayer menu and only seeing 14 people worldwide playing warzone, and so few players in all modes really.

K' Dash

Domino Theory said:
Amazon doesn't ship games until a day before its release. They've been 100% for me in terms of release-day delivery so far and I've ordered tons of games from them.

I was hoping to get it on monday :(

-PXG-

When you're bored and need a challenge, just use a pistol and nothing else.

We did that and still steam rolled the other team. Good times. Oh, it actually encourages your team to work together and conserve ammo too.

I really hope Gears 3 has good competition. Ballistik and I were bored to tears tonight. Absolutely no challenge at all.

One guy had the nerve to talk shit to me, when his team had host. Really?

malfcn

-PXG- said:

We did that and still steam rolled the other team. Good times. Oh, it actually encourages your team to work together and conserve ammo too.

I really hope Gears 3 has good competition. Ballistik and I were bored to tears tonight. Absolutely no challenge at all.

I didn't know you were rolling Gears still.

JambiBum

-PXG- said:

Find me honey.

-PXG-

JambiBum said:
Warzone requires more team work. Can't run around with your gnasher all day <3

In Execution, you HAVE to get up close and risk going out in the open to pursue your enemy. Warzone encourages camping. No one wants to risk getting killed out in the open. No one wants to step up. They'd rather plop their asses behind cover with their rifles and fire away. There's not action. No movement. Just hiding behind cover, hoping you catch someone who's out of position.

Execution teaches you to wear down/ soften your enemies from a distance, and then advance forward for close quarters combat. Gears 3 gives you bonus EXP for pulling off executions. You can risk getting out of cover, but be rewarded for more points. There is no such incentive in Warzone, since you can easily kill opponents from a far. Plus, in Execution, as I said before, you have no choice put to kill enemies up close, unless you manage to kill them with a headshot or explosion.

Warzone players are overly cautious. They don't understand how to push. Being aggressive doesn't mean running in blind without your team. There is much more to Execution than you think.

CyReN

Painkiller Q8 said:
Can't find any ranked matches :/

Do the ranks even reset? They said people wouldn't get the TU if they played early and they are, so are they just bluffing with this stuff?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just watched a round of Horde with the
Brumak

Shit's gonna be intense.

CyReN said:
Do the ranks even reset? They said people wouldn't get the TU if they played early and they are, so are they just bluffing with this stuff?

That's completely not what was said. And levels aren't being reset, leaderboards are.

-PXG- said:
In Execution, you HAVE to get up close and risk going out in the open to pursue your enemy. Warzone encourages camping. No one wants to risk getting killed out in the open. No one wants to step up. They'd rather plop their asses behind cover with their rifles and fire away. There's not action. No movement. Just hiding behind cover, hoping you catch someone who's out of position.

Execution teaches you to wear down/ soften your enemies from a distance, and then advance forward for close quarters combat. Gears 3 gives you bonus EXP for pulling off executions. You can risk getting out of cover, but be rewarded for more points. There is no such incentive in Warzone, since you can easily kill opponents from a far. Plus, in Execution, as I said before, you have no choice put to kill enemies up close, unless you manage to kill them with a headshot or explosion.

Warzone players are overly cautious. They don't understand how to push. Being aggressive doesn't mean running in blind without your team. There is much more to Execution than you think.

I always see Execution players say that Warzone players just camp and never push up but I'd say 80% of the kills in Warzone are done by gnashers. I play both and the gameplay always ends up being exactly the same. Still just power weapons and close quarters gnasher battles.

On the flip side you could just as easily say Execution is for players who get downed a lot and need second chances. Or can't push forward without getting shot. In the end I often forget which gametype I'm playing because they both end up playing out as gnasher fests.

Net_Wrecker said:
Why y'all arguing about obsolete game modes?

TDM is where it's at now, son.

Public TDM all day, every day. Well, that and the occasional KotH

Unless there's an actual reason to play Ranked now besides leaderboards, that is. It just seemed like a wack version of public, taking longer to play games

Ballistik

-PXG- said:

Yep. I joined a Warzone match with Fox earlier today just for fun. We got Blood drive, and of course we move down the map towards the sniper.

The other team? They stay at the top of their stairs lancering down. Once one or two were dead, they scrammed to their spawn. Kid you not, every round ended with us blasting them in their spawn. 5-0'ed. This isn't how the game would of panned out in Execution.

The Xtortionist said:
Fuck KoTH; spawn zones are all over the place and there doesn't seems to be any logic to them.

I was hoping they'd fix that shit! I really liked KotH in the beta, but it was a real luck of the fucking draw on those spawns. Sometimes you just span alllll the way on the other side of Old Town and they spawn right next to the new hill. Why? Who knows!

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I was hoping they'd fix that shit! I really liked KotH in the beta, but it was a real luck of the fucking draw on those spawns. Sometimes you just span alllll the way on the other side of Old Town and they spawn right next to the new hill. Why? Who knows!

CliffyB: X-factor!

JK, good thing that mentality seems to be gone for the most part.

-PXG-

TDM is fun, but there I like the overall tense feeling I get, knowing I only have one life. I don't get the same adrenaline rush, knowing that I'll respawn after I die.

Gears isn't fun when you have shitty teammates. TDM illustrates this more so than any other mode. You can be a bad motherfucker, tearing shit up and getting kills, but have teammates who are useless, who do nothing but get killed and use up precious lives. It's not that hard to clutch against two, even three people. It's nearly impossible to come back when you're the last one left and the other team still has 6 lives left.

Having one life gives you mindset that you must make your life count and not fuck up, thus, you'll be more careful and put more thought into what you do. Having one life will encourage you to communicate with your team and work together in order to keep each other alive. Having lives and respawns makes you careless and think less about how your actions effect your team. TDM offers a false/temporary safety net that eventually gives out after negligent players have exhausted the team's pool of lives.

ShaneB

Doubt I'll ever touch TDM again. Gears for me is always going to be about tense 1 life rounds, knowing that if you're dead, you messed up and have to wait until the next round.

JambiBum

-PXG- said:

We don't camp. Camping doesn't work in gears because of the power weapons. It's not my fault if someone wants to rush out into the middle and get murdered. There's a reason you start with a rifle in your hand and not a shotgun. How ridiculous is it that you can be downed from a distance but as soon as you go down a magic force field appears around your body to save the day.

But alas, this is why TDM works so well. It's the best of both worlds.

Class_A_Ninja said:
I cancelled my Amazon pre-order for the Kmart Deal and I'm going to pick up the 1 year of live with it. It just ran out, it's a decent deal...but boy do I hate myself for ending up with this service every year and never using it. Last year it was Halo Reach.

Ha me too man. I am sure that is true of the majority of people with Live.

The Xtortionist said:
idk, but Gears 2 is torture. The game is soooooooooooooooooooo slow. -15% speed makes a ridiculous difference.

That it does. I threw in Gears 2 for a kick right after the beta ended, and by God is this game obsolete. In a perfect world the beta would still be running. Shit was like CRACK. One of the only betas in which I've actually enjoyed participating. Hopefully the Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One beta shapes up to be of the same standard; just got my beta code last night!

-PXG-

JambiBum said:
We don't camp. Camping doesn't work in gears because of the power weapons. It's not my fault if someone wants to rush out into the middle and get murdered. There's a reason you start with a rifle in your hand and not a shotgun. How ridiculous is it that you can be downed from a distance but as soon as you go down a magic force field appears around your body to save the day.

But alas, this is why TDM works so well. It's the best of both worlds.

You may not camp, but a lot of Warzoners do, at least from my experience.

I like TDM. It just sucks when played with awful/careless teammates.

The Xtortionist said:
You're on NeoGAF dude.

What is that supposed to mean? lol

I just like there's less deadtime in between fights/deaths with TDM. I can work with my team without constantly have to look over my shoulder or pressing left on the d-pad as soon as the game starts. You can get a bit more experimental when you're ahead, knowing you got a cushion to ease a failure. And when both teams are good and you're both out of lives, then it gets intense again, like the climax of an action film, saving the best for last. I appreciate more when its built up like that, instead "ok Gridlock, everybody has one life, press left on d-pad, rush out to sniper/boomshot/grenades, fuck other guy up, rinse and repeat". Battles are longer, they change over time, big leads and comebacks a-plenty. It still feels like Gears, but more like a drawn-out war then a quick skirmish.

And I agree, bad teammates hurts Gears of War the most. I don't think I'm gonna play online without friends/GAF to back me up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom