• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poker360

Ugh, theres things i want to look up about this game, but i'm afraid if i type anything into google or youtube one of the suggested results will be a spoiler.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
krpiper said:
So my Live account got phished and some moron charged $70of microsoft points to my account so my account is locked and under review :(

I also had to get a new debit card so I had to cancel my Amazon order (I'll go and pay for it via cash/check)'

Even thought my main account is under review can I just make a trial month on the xbox its self (I dont think I've hit 5) or do I still need a debit card for that

Ever since the 360 came out you've never needed to have a debit card tied to your Gamertag - best way is to use Gold membership & points cards, they're always cheaper online than subscribing directly with MS. Check Amazon, they usually have the cheapest deals.

And I don't see why you can't make a new account in the meantime, shouldn't be a problem at all as long as you're not signed into the locked one.

low-G

Kydd BlaZe said:
LOL I tried to play a little bit of Gears 1 co-op with her, but she apparently hates Gears of War :\ so I don't that'll be a problem bro, lol.

Girls like Halo, not Gears.

tuxor said:
Is Gears 2 any good? I liked the first one but never picked the second one up, and with the third coming out I feel an urge to complete the trilogy. Worth playing or should I just wiki the plot?
I would say so. The Horde setup appeals to me more in that game.

cresto

Will stats reset right before 12 midnight tomorrow night? I sure hope so. I'd like an even playing field. Can't be that difficult to do, can it?

Edit: Any MP streams? I'm all about MP.

Dug

Banned
There is an avatar award for four player co-op (We Happy, We Few)! Anyone know what the avatar award is though? Can't seem to find anything about it. :\

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just beat the campaign. SPOILER-FREE impressions below, but I'm putting them in spoiler tags anyway, just in case anyone is super sensitive. This post WILL NOT spoil anything regarding the storyline... nothing more than any of the big site's reviews:

- The second half of the campaign is considerably better than the first, in my opinion. Stronger set-piece battles, waves of enemies are more fun, etc. I was in this topic a few days ago (slightly) bagging on the game, but it def. picks up in the back half... it's the best Gears campaign, for sure.

- It's nice to see a company actually RESOLVE their storylines. MS/Bungie, Ubisoft, and others seem content to end titles on sliffhangers indefinitely. There's totally places Epic can take Gears, but it's refreshing to see a story that ends.

- Carmine's fate playing out is one of the best moments of the entire campaign, for me.

- Trying to be vague here but... there is one campaign bit that is disappointing because it's clear Epic has campaign DLC planned. There is a clear spot where there was a big chunk of content cut. It's jarring.

- Gears 3 is "Gears" storytelling through and through. You get answers... sort-of. But we still know incredibly little about this world. It's funny how Epic can craft an engaging storyline, craft excellent world-building, and yet they still manage to leave everything so vague. Maybe this is because I haven't read the novels.

- In my Sera, Cole train wears his baseball cap forward :p

- I wasn't timing myself, but campaign was probably ~11 hours.

If anyone has any Qs about the game I'll do my best to answer tonight.

GDJustin said:
- Trying to be vague here but... there is one campaign bit that is disappointing because it's clear Epic has campaign DLC planned. There is a clear spot where there was a big chunk of content cut. It's jarring.

Which part? Spoiler it.

Plasmid

PXG i would join you but i'm hitting up gears with some friends from home in anticipation for gears 3.

I'll be doing campaign from 12:15-8:45 AM lol.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GDJustin said:
Just beat the campaign. SPOILER-FREE impressions below, but I'm putting them in spoiler tags anyway, just in case anyone is super sensitive. This post WILL NOT spoil anything regarding the storyline... nothing more than any of the big site's reviews:

- The second half of the campaign is considerably better than the first, in my opinion. Stronger set-piece battles, waves of enemies are more fun, etc. I was in this topic a few days ago (slightly) bagging on the game, but it def. picks up in the back half... it's the best Gears campaign, for sure.

- It's nice to see a company actually RESOLVE their storylines. MS/Bungie, Ubisoft, and others seem content to end titles on sliffhangers indefinitely. There's totally places Epic can take Gears, but it's refreshing to see a story that ends.

- Carmine's fate playing out is one of the best moments of the entire campaign, for me.

- Gears 3 is "Gears" storytelling through and through. You get answers... sort-of. But we still know incredibly little about this world. It's funny how Epic can craft an engaging storyline, craft excellent world-building, and yet they still manage to leave everything so vague. Maybe this is because I haven't read the novels.

The funny thing about your observation is that
Rod said that the campaign DLC isn't "deleted scenes" and that it's a whole new campaign mission.
I believe he said that in the latest stream.

Spoilered for the babies.

Robot Pants

I was never actually excited for this game until yesterday. I was always going to buy it, but finally the hype hit me like a ton of bricks. Let's do this!

Dug

Banned
GDJustin said:

- Carmine's fate playing out is one of the best moments of the entire campaign, for me

If I just got spoiled....

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A27 Tawpgun said:
Someone convince me to get this game.
Every single report, by fans or by media, is pointing towards it being the best Gears game. Align your expectations from that. Oh and the Multiplayer is supposed to be good this time.

GDJustin

The Xtortionist said:
Which part? Spoiler it.

Alienshogun said:
The funny thing about your observation is that
Rod said that the campaign DLC isn't "deleted scenes" and that it's a whole new campaign mission.
I believe he said that in the latest stream.

Spoilered for the babies.

Early in the game Marcus and Cole split up, and you get to see things from both of their perspectives, until their storylines synch up and become one again.

They split up again later in the game, but you only see things from Dom's perspective this time. When you meet back up with Cole it's obvious he's been on some pretty zany adventures (he has someone new with him, etc.), but you don't play any of that. Since the Gears trilogy is Marcus-centric it doesn't feel like a "hole" per se, but it's weird you follow Cole earlier in the game, but not the second time. It's obvious epic has plans for that content.

Dug said:
If I just got spoiled....

I don't see how that's remotely a spoiler. I was intentionally vague. We all know Carmine either lives or dies in Gears3.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
GDJustin said:

Would you say its one of the beter shooter campaigns in a while?

GDJustin

Represent. said:
Would you say its one of the beter shooter campaigns in a while?

It's certainly better than the COD campaigns. It's tough to compare COD/Halo/Gears because whichever series has gameplay you like the most, you'll probably like that game's campaign the most.

But from a pure scenario perspective, or from the perspective of which company poured the most actual love and care into their campaign, I would probably give Halo: Reach the edge over Gears3.

Epic seems wholly uninterested in evolving Gears from game to game.

Gears 3 is VERY solid. There isn't ONE moment that doesn't feel polished, that doesn't feel fun. Every single mission, every engagement just... works. This is a big improvement over 2, which had some areas that just didn't feel that smooth. But I will say that from a design perspective Epic seems to lack ambition. They don't seem interested in experimenting with their formula at all.

It's fine for a trilogy. Make Gears 3 the "ultimate Gears" and all that. But if the next Gears game doesn't take some risks I'll be disappointed. 3 is enough. I can't think of any other current-gen series that changes less from game to game.

Dug

Banned
GDJustin said:
It's certainly better than the COD campaigns. It's tough to compare COD/Halo/Gears because whichever series has gameplay you like the most, you'll probably like that game's campaign the most.

But from a put scenario perspective, or from the perspective of which company poured the most actual love and care into their campaign, I would probably give Halo: Reach the edge over Gears3.

Epic seems wholly uninterested in evolving Gears from game to game.

Gears 3 is VERY solid. There isn't ONE moment that doesn't feel polished, that doesn't feel fun. Every single mission, every engagement just... works. But I will say that from a design perspective Epic seems to lack ambition. They don't seem interested in experimenting with their formula at all.

It's fine for a trilogy. Make Gears 3 the "ultimate Gears" and all that. But if the next Gears game doesn't take some risks I'll be disappointed. 3 is enough.
Do you happen to know the avatar award for beating campaign on 4 player co-op and how many their actually is? I've seen three.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Looks like this campaign will be a bit better than Reach, at least.

I love reach, seriously. But the campaign was insanely meh for me in terms of character attachment.

GDJustin

dmg04 said:

I love reach, seriously. But the campaign was insanely meh for me in terms of character attachment.

Actually yeah, that's a good point I meant to bring up in my first post:

Gears3 has a surprising and impressive amount of genuine emotion. There is almost no "bro" moments. Probably intentionally, given that the franchise is so famous for it's brodacity. The storyline is genuine to an impressive degree. It's the first of the series to even REMOTELY live up to its somber trailer.

The trailers have always been a bit silly, because the games themselves were over-the-top silliness. But not this time around.

Fallacy

Neo Member
dmg04 said:

I kind of agree, but the gears story has failed to pull me in thus far and I doubt that will change. In terms of fun I like gears campaigns alot but their world doesn't feel fleshed out to me at all.

GDJustin said:
Early in the game Marcus and Cole split up, and you get to see things from both of their perspectives, until their storylines synch up and become one again.

They split up again later in the game, but you only see things from Dom's perspective this time. When you meet back up with Cole it's obvious he's been on some pretty zany adventures (he has someone new with him, etc.), but you don't play any of that. Since the Gears trilogy is Marcus-centric it doesn't feel like a "hole" per se, but it's weird you follow Cole earlier in the game, but not the second time. It's obvious epic has plans for that content.

I don't see how that's remotely a spoiler. I was intentionally vague. We all know Carmine either lives or dies in Gears3.

Yeah, when they rejoined I was like "wtf? Who is this?". Regarding Carmine, I'm very pleased :D

CyReN

GDJustin said:

My favorite part is when they did the piano part for that certain part, great homage to the first trailer

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GDJustin said:
Actually yeah, that's a good point I meant to bring up in my first post:

Gears3 has a surprising and impressive amount of genuine emotion. There is almost no "bro" moments. Probably intentionally, given that the franchise is so famous for it's brodacity. The storyline is genuine to an impressive degree. It's the first of the series to even REMOTELY live up to its somber trailer.

The trailers have always been a bit silly, because the games themselves were over-the-top silliness. But not this time around.
What do you consider genuine emotion? Did you consider the whole Gears 2 Dom/Maria moment a genuine moment? For some reason, despite it having all the elements of what would make a serious emotional scene to me, the effect wasn't there at that point. Is it like that or done better?

I found a surprising amount of attachment with the characters in Reach. The whole grim scenario I found was played up by the fact that you just met the team, and they're already dwindling down just as you begin to get comfortable, all for the same cause. Reach's story was one of the best constructed campaigns this gen for me, IMO.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
enzo_gt said:
What do you consider genuine emotion? Did you consider the whole Gears 2 Dom/Maria moment a genuine moment? For some reason, despite it having all the elements of what would make a serious emotional scene to me, the effect wasn't there at that point. Is it like that or done better?

I found a surprising amount of attachment with the characters in Reach. The whole grim scenario I found was played up by the fact that you just met the team, and they're already dwindling down just as you begin to get comfortable, all for the same cause. Reach's story was one of the best constructed campaigns this gen for me, IMO.
I found the maria point of gears 2 very detached because it felt so... forced. In gears 1, Dom mentioned his wife... once?

In gears 2, every other line was "Where's My Wife!?"
Sure, it was cool to see her go from beautiful to holyshitfuck, but yeah.
BTW,
I hope gears 3 proves to me that the locust aren't just humans that have been dipped in imulsion. They kept hinting that in Gears 2. Thai's back looked exactly like skorges, the holding tanks and yadda yadda. Made me feel like they were somehow just turning people into locust.

As for reach, the only character i cared about was Jorge. I think it was either the script or the voice acting, but damn i didn't care for any other character.

Reach VS Gears is semi unfair, though. With Reach, you KNOW you're going to die no matter what to give MasterChief the chance to discover Halo and all that jazz. With Gears, All you know is that this is the definitive End. Humanity is on the brink, but you're Marcus Effing Fenix.

Anyone know if it's hard for Epic to port maps? I'm acting greedy. I want all maps from the last 2 games with all the new enhancements and the servers. Give me what I want epic. I have money with your name on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom