• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
panama chief said:
Anyone know if it's hard for Epic to port maps? I'm acting greedy. I want all maps from the last 2 games with all the new enhancements and the servers. Give me what I want epic. I have money with your name on it.

Unrelated, but if your avatar from that one episode of Dial M for Monkey where Randy Savage wrestles Earth's greatest heroes for the fate of the world?

Because that is awesome, good sir

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Unrelated, but if your avatar from that one episode of Dial M for Monkey where Randy Savage wrestles Earth's greatest heroes for the fate of the world?

Because that is awesome, good sir

It sure is. Ive had it up since macho man passed away. :(
But Wrasslor is cool enough to keep as an avatar either way.

Got off work after Best Buy closed. Will try pre-ordering the game tomorrow and if I get a Mechanic Baird I'd still like to trade for a Savage Kantus.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Anyone else going to ask their retailer for extra codes?

I remember getting a few extra golds from Blockbuster after gears came out. lol

cresto

Any west coast GAF'ers doing a midnight launch tomorrow? I will need some peeps to play MP. Not planning on touching the SP until I get back from Vegas

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
ergo said:
Any west coast GAF'ers doing a midnight launch tomorrow? I will need some peeps to play MP. Not planning on touching the SP until I get back from Vegas
If i don't get the game tomorrow, i may grab it from gamestop at midnight. San Diego FTW [FTL today against new england, though D:]

cresto

dmg04 said:
If i don't get the game tomorrow, i may grab it from gamestop at midnight. San Diego FTW [FTL today against new england, though D:]
Dude Rivers looked awful. I was glad to see it though (Broncos fan, here! ;P)

Send me a PM if you end up doing that.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
enzo_gt said:
What do you consider genuine emotion? Did you consider the whole Gears 2 Dom/Maria moment a genuine moment? For some reason, despite it having all the elements of what would make a serious emotional scene to me, the effect wasn't there at that point. Is it like that or done better?

I found a surprising amount of attachment with the characters in Reach. The whole grim scenario I found was played up by the fact that you just met the team, and they're already dwindling down just as you begin to get comfortable, all for the same cause. Reach's story was one of the best constructed campaigns this gen for me, IMO.

The emotional moments of Gears 3 are much much more effective than Dom/Maria, which I found grating and laughable in two.

But it's more than just a few specific moments. In Gears 3 Marcus comes off as a real person, for the first time in the entire series. It really feels like these characters care about each other, in a genuine way. There is (dare I say) actual subtlety, this time around. A first for the series. Plenty is still over-the-top, but it's nice to see a shot of a character without them saying "FUUUUCK" to remind you how they're feeling. Epic figured out that less is more, sometimes.

Definity

Barrow Roll said:
Got off work after Best Buy closed. Will try pre-ordering the game tomorrow and if I get a Mechanic Baird I'd still like to trade for a Savage Kantus.
PM me if you want to trade after you get Baird and after Amazon gets my code to me. Thx

Volimar

Alienshogun said:
Doesn't surprise me in the least, then epic will turn up the EXP curve for the rest of us come release week.

Watch.

I'm hoping that when Epic does this, people's levels will be adjusted to the new level instead of letting them grandfather their levels while everyone else has to work harder.

eastmen

Banned
Someone got a hold of my live account and purchased points on it $133 worth of points to be exact. Now my account is closed for up to a month while they investigate.

Now i can't play gears of war. This really sucks .

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Volimar said:
I'm hoping that when Epic does this, people's levels will be adjusted to the new level instead of letting them grandfather their levels while everyone else has to work harder.

It doubt it will.

eastmen said:
Someone got a hold of my live account and purchased points on it $133 worth of points to be exact. Now my account is closed for up to a month while they investigate.

Now i can't play gears of war. This really sucks .

That's rough, man. How do people get Live account info like that?

eastmen

Banned
HawksWinStanley said:
That's rough, man. How do people get Live account info like that?

no idea , i've run every single piece of antivirus and spy ware program avalible on the web and have found nothing on my machine.

I didn't realise that my card was still on the account , ithought it was one that was expired.

THe real problem isn't the $133 bucks cause i know i will get that back . Its that now i have no live service , which really sucks.

It just cements my reasoning to go console less next gen and stay 100% pc.

Nintendo already pissed me off with the 3ds and Sony is dead to me after all the problems i've had and the hacking. MS is putting alot of pressure on the camels back and it just might break with this

nomis

eastmen said:
no idea , i've run every single piece of antivirus and spy ware program avalible on the web and have found nothing on my machine.

I didn't realise that my card was still on the account , ithought it was one that was expired.

THe real problem isn't the $133 bucks cause i know i will get that back . Its that now i have no live service , which really sucks.

It just cements my reasoning to go console less next gen and stay 100% pc.

Nintendo already pissed me off with the 3ds and Sony is dead to me after all the problems i've had and the hacking. MS is putting alot of pressure on the camels back and it just might break with this

This isn't like Microsoft got hacked by 4Chan and leaked millions of passwords. I don't see how it's their fault, just unlucky.

Hawk269

I never finished Gears 2. I started 2 days ago and am on the last chapter, section "Free Parking". I have Free Parking and 1 other section and I will be done. Not sure I never finished back then, but I didnt and right now I am loving it. I tend to do this alot with big games...I don't beat them initially for various reasons, but usually go back to them. Did the same with the original Halo...had the game for 2 1/2 years before i beat it and then told myself I should of beat it initially.

With all the reports of Gears 3 being the best SP of the 3 has me excited as I thought Gears 1 was really good and so far I am really enjoying 2.

For those playing already would you say that Gears 3 visually is alot better than Gears 2? I think Gears 2 looks fantastic.

ShaneB

Just finished my playthrough solo hardcore. It felt really easy except for the end boss, would love if CliffyB can chime in on how difficulty was looked at for this, not sounding negative, just would be nice to understand some design choices. Building a story around co-op play as well, etc

Anyways, my spoiler thoughts on the campaign...

Wow. That was a rollercoaster that never let up. The first 2 chapters felt like classic Gears, 1 and 2 smashed together with a few new things, but I felt like chapter 3 was when Epic decided to say 'ok, it's time to kick some ass and let's take this to overdrive.

Every skirmish felt intense and fun, and never felt like it was lagging along, something new at just the right intervals to keep the rush going.

Dom's demise was pretty emotional, and surprising. Brothers to the end indeed, very well done.

The underwater stuff was beautiful, like most of the game, but that part really sticks out, quite amazing.

To echo what was said earlier, it did feel like a chunk of the campaign got yanked out when Cole and Baird returned on the helicopter.

As for Carmine, YES!!! That reveal at the end, fantastic.

As for the plot, was neat seeing things revealed and understanding the roots of it all, and was nice to see everything wrapped up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
dmg04 said:
I found the maria point of gears 2 very detached because it felt so... forced. In gears 1, Dom mentioned his wife... once?

In gears 2, every other line was "Where's My Wife!?"
Sure, it was cool to see her go from beautiful to holyshitfuck, but yeah.
BTW,
I hope gears 3 proves to me that the locust aren't just humans that have been dipped in imulsion. They kept hinting that in Gears 2. Thai's back looked exactly like skorges, the holding tanks and yadda yadda. Made me feel like they were somehow just turning people into locust.

As for reach, the only character i cared about was Jorge. I think it was either the script or the voice acting, but damn i didn't care for any other character.

Reach VS Gears is semi unfair, though. With Reach, you KNOW you're going to die no matter what to give MasterChief the chance to discover Halo and all that jazz. With Gears, All you know is that this is the definitive End. Humanity is on the brink, but you're Marcus Effing Fenix.
I'm just saying, considering the delivery of the story Reach is trying to tell, vs. the story Gears is trying to tell, the detachment between the characters is much more understandable and possibly even by design. They tried to create three dimensional characters and they did, but their individual stories weren't overtly detailed. They didn't need to be, and should there have been a huge fan attachment to them, the extended universe could've covered it. The conflict was bigger than the characters in that game, Reach was at stake, in Gears, there is a lot more weight put on Adam Fenix and interpersonal relationships because of the relative expanse of (story) time that they have. That's my take anyways.

GDJustin said:
The emotional moments of Gears 3 are much much more effective than Dom/Maria, which I found grating and laughable in two.

But it's more than just a few specific moments. In Gears 3 Marcus comes off as a real person, for the first time in the entire series. It really feels like these characters care about each other, in a genuine way. There is (dare I say) actual subtlety, this time around. A first for the series. Plenty is still over-the-top, but it's nice to see a shot of a character without them saying "FUUUUCK" to remind you how they're feeling. Epic figured out that less is more, sometimes.
This is good to hear. I found that entire scene very awkward and funny to watch considering the context of it all. I just can never take Dom's voice actor seriously, it's like a really, really bad action hero when he talks, and all of his lines are corny. Some good corny, some bad corny. I also felt the Marcus/Anya moment at the end of Gears 2 was really, really out of place, and the tension or faux relationship between the two was really an afterthought, I personally hope they drop the entire thing in Gears 3.

krpiper

Skilotonn said:
Ever since the 360 came out you've never needed to have a debit card tied to your Gamertag - best way is to use Gold membership & points cards, they're always cheaper online than subscribing directly with MS. Check Amazon, they usually have the cheapest deals.

And I don't see why you can't make a new account in the meantime, shouldn't be a problem at all as long as you're not signed into the locked one.

When I turn on my 360 it signs me in to the account but it says I'm offline (but thats because I havent bothered plugging in my 360 Ethernet, I;m at school and I'm sharing a cable with my laptop)

so I should just sign out and play on my new account?

This stream is so hard to watch. Seeing all of these new players with no idea what they're doing. And me sitting here watching helplessly waiting for my copy to ship.

JambiBum

HawksWinStanley said:
This stream is so hard to watch. Seeing all of these new players with no idea what they're doing. And me sitting here watching helplessly waiting for my copy to ship.
I'm so anxious to have new players to run over. Been playing the same people in gears 2 for years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom