• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
panama chief said:
Cliffy please help a GAFer out. My wife is making me return the game tomorrow. And I have to sell my consoles to make ends meet. Jesus this is the worst day ever.

Crying.gif

hey now your like me, a broke college student with a fucking broken xbox because the damn thing breaks all the time. Can't afford a new 360 for a month at least. (high five)

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
If they do a 'free map pack', i'm going to flip.

What's the point of a season pass if they're handing that shit out for free?

minx

Hmmm maybe I will just sell my amazon copy on Ebay. Even if I lose $5 it would be worth it to play tonight. Plus I already got $20 from amazon.

Malo

Banned
Fleet_of_Foot said:
I bought Red Dead from Amazon. Got anxious and bought it at Wal Mart. I tried to return the Amazon copy to Wal Mart and couldn't. It won't even scan into their system. It shows up on Wal Mart as a "item not found."

The UPCs are different. They track sales and want to know how many copies they're selling via Amazon, how many via Wal Mart, etc. They're not the same UPC and you can't return one at another outlet.

Of course I could have taken the idiot working at Wal Mart and shown them "Look you have the item right here on your shelf." Red Dead is Red Dead. But I doubt that would have worked. If it's not in their system, they won't return it.

The people who make these games aren't stupid. They know what you want to do and they've taken measures to make sure you can't do it.
So much for that idea. Damn my impatience!

You will be fine returning the Gamestop copy as there are no stickers on the game- the preorder bonus is printed on the receipt. Regarding Best Buy and Target copies- usually there is a sticker PRINTED on the cover art. So no.

ShaneB

dmg04 said:

This logic seems so damn backwards. Why not be pissed it's not free to begin with????

LifEndz said:
It could, but this is a Gears 3 thread. What does R3 have to do with anything? Ergo my statement about trolling.

Exactly. Pointless troll post.

Anyways, going to just get the regular edition and return my LE. It's a total waste of money- the game isn't in a steelbook and there is no in game content.

Gimme all these streams - won't be able to play until I leave work tomorrow night. I need something to pass this time.

I am planning an epic night of food, booze and GEARS but tomorrow at work is going to be brutal. :/

jackdoe

BrassMonkey1010 said:
hey now your like me, a broke college student with a fucking broken xbox because the damn thing breaks all the time. Can't afford a new 360 for a month at least. (high five)
Mooch off of friends who have 360s and brought them to college, get a summer job, or do both! Which is what I did!

jackdoe said:
Mooch off of friends who have 360s and brought them to college, get a summer job, or do both! Which is what I did!

Had a summer job, had to pay for this semester which emptied the bank account. Most my college buds have ps3's, although there are a couple guys I can probably play with. Its okay though, I just sound bitter because the hype is getting to me. I will be fine in a couple days....IWILLFEELFINE

LifEndz

Square Triangle said:
You will be fine returning the Gamestop copy as there are no stickers on the game- the preorder bonus is printed on the receipt. Regarding Best Buy and Target copies- usually there is a sticker PRINTED on the cover art. So no.

Wait a minute, so I can go to GS right now, pick up a copy, and then return my Amazon copy to Gamestop tomorrow for a full refund?

Poker360

DASFLIjLDFAJLSKCJAWELCMAIDCMAWELFAWLKVMEWKLAVM

MY BODY IS READY

my_body_is_ready.jpg

minx

LifEndz said:
Wait a minute, so I can go to GS right now, pick up a copy, and then return my Amazon copy to Gamestop tomorrow for a full refund?

I think I am going to try this. If all else fails I'll sell the amazon copy on Ebay.

LifEndz

Square Triangle said:
It's the same game right?
'
It is, but I live in NYC. I think my GS has a policy about not buying unopened games...in which case I'd take the hit on the cost of selling a used game to GS (they'd probably give me 30 bucks tops).

Think I'll just do a couple of shots and play some L4D2 tonight. I can wait :)

jackdoe

minx88 said:
I think I am going to try this. If all else fails I'll sell the amazon copy on Ebay.
You can't wait a couple of hours to play the game and are willing to potentially jump through extra hoops? That's some dedication I suppose.

I'm confused as to why you guys are so incredibly confused.

1. Go to Gamestop tonight
2. Get your copy
3. Play to your little heart stops beating
4. Once your mailman drops off your Amazon copy
5. Go back to Gamestop with your receipt and return the sealed copy you just got

minx

Well it's not just a couple hours. I don't work till 2 tomorrow and get off at 10. So I could play late tonight as well.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
LifEndz said:

Why would you go through all that? Just wait until tomorrow.

LifEndz

Square Triangle said:
I'm confused as to why you guys are so incredibly confused.

1. Go to Gamestop tonight
2. Get your copy
3. Play to your little heart stops beating
4. Once your mailman drops off your Amazon copy
5. Go back to Gamestop with your receipt and return the sealed copy you just got

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I think they would try to match up the serial number on the back with the one on the receipt. I used to work retail and I remember we had to scan the barcode on the package to see if it rang up in our system. If it didn't, then you know the product was purchased elsewhere.

Granted this only happens if you get a really diligent clerk. If anyone tries it I hope it works for you.

LifEndz said:
Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I think they would try to match up the serial number on the back with the one on the receipt. I used to work retail and I remember we had to scan the barcode on the package to see if it rang up in our system. If it didn't, then you know the product was purchased elsewhere.

Granted this only happens if you get a really diligent clerk. If anyone tries it I hope it works for you.

Um what did you sell? Because aside from Enslaved that was sold at Kmart, every game has the same barcode. And seriously just tell the guy "Um well I bought it here"

What is he going to do? Throw a magazine rack at you?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
minx88 said:
Well it's not just a couple hours. I don't work till 2 tomorrow and get off at 10. So I could play late tonight as well.

You are going to be playing this for months, one night isn't worth all that effort, IMO.

LifEndz

Square Triangle said:
Um what did you sell? Because aside from Enslaved that was sold at Kmart, every game has the same barcode. And seriously just tell the guy "Um well I bought it here"

lol. Good point. I think I'll just watch episodes of the Wire tonight, but if I find myself unable to sit still in about 45 minutes...well I may have to make that trip.

Malo

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
Why would you go through all that? Just wait until tomorrow.
Yea, I was thinking of doing the same thing. Might as well wait until tomorrow instead of going through all that.

kyo27

Square Triangle said:

games that have exclusive content for certain stores sometimes have different UPCs. I'm pretty sure toysrus had a different barcode for Mortal Kombat because the Kitana dlc that was exclusive to them.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
ShaneB said:
This logic seems so damn backwards. Why not be pissed it's not free to begin with????
I just payed 35 dollars in advance for shit
If anyone is getting free maps, it should be the dudes who shelled out their money blindly. ;)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
dmg04 said:

The season pass says there's 4 packs for a 33% discount. Free stuff on top of that would just be a good thing.

minx

SuperMalo said:
Yea, I was thinking of doing the same thing. Might as well wait until tomorrow instead of going through all that.

It's not really too much work. Gamestop is 5 min away. I'll leave at 12:05 and will barely even have to wait in line. And if they don't return it there, I'll try the other 15 gamestops in the area.

2th

Banned
dmg04 said:

any free DLC will be nice period. thy are just making sure they get your money already with the season pass. i would be ok with a free map announcement.

GIVE US AZURA AND BLOOD DRIVE NOW!!! FOR FREE!!!

kyo27 said:
games that have exclusive content for certain stores sometimes have different UPCs. I'm pretty sure toysrus had a different barcode for Mortal Kombat because the Kitana dlc that was exclusive to them.

The question here is- who the hell shops at Toys 'R' Us?

Ballistik

So there's a short 30 minute show on Spike at 8:30 (In one hour). That's the Gametrailers show where they'll show the announcement right?

RedStep

Square Triangle said:

Totally inaccurate. Most games with a retailer exclusive inside (Mortal Kombat, Red Dead, LA Noire, etc) have different UPCs for each version. They can't return it or sell it if they can't scan the UPC. So, yeah, they'll tell you to fuck off.

If it's a universal release (nothing extra inside), they're probably all the same.

RedStep said:
Totally inaccurate. Most games with a retailer exclusive inside (Mortal Kombat, Red Dead, LA Noire, etc) have different UPCs for each version. They can't return it or sell it if they can't scan the UPC. So, yeah, they'll tell you to fuck off.

If it's a universal release (nothing extra inside), they're probably all the same.

Wow, I totally already made that clear in a previous post thank you.

And you don't HAVE to scan an item to return. Receipts carry a lot of info in 2011.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
panama chief said:
Cliffy please help a GAFer out. My wife is making me return the game tomorrow. And I have to sell my consoles to make ends meet. Jesus this is the worst day ever.

Crying.gif
Well, you must have don some things wrong right? I mean "make ends meet"? Come on dude, wake up, there are far more important things than videogames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom