• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Barakov

Just beat the campaign. Pretty great overall. Could've done without horde stuff since that's kinda what I play horde mode for. Also
the ending was handled way better than the Maria scene in Gears 2. Also nice to see Oscar made it out okay.

I have to say this is the best game in years; the wind storm is so impressive, so well done( truly jaw-dropping moment like u 1st see the overhead section to Contra 3). Loving the banter between the characters, the graphics are on a different level to most XBox One/PS 4 games; the storm effects of out of this world as are its physics (one of the few truly jaw-dropping moments of this gen) Looks simply jaw dropping in HDR and its by far and away the best sound game I've ever heard in terms of quality of sound effects - The howling wind sound is so real it's scary: it's outstanding and the most impressive audio tech I've ever heard in a game ever .

vrln

Neo Member
The Coalition went straight to being my favorite first party MS studio. This game gets everything about Gears right. Soon in Act 5, it´s been a really fun ride. Gameplay mechanics are tight, pacing is superb and the image quality is probably the best on Xbox right now. I haven´t even tried multiplayer yet, but based on the campaign I can already say new Horde mode has to be fantastic.

This really shows how clearly 343 dropped the ball with Halo for the single player mode. The contrast here is huge.

It would be great to see Coalition do a new IP in addition to being the new home for Gears. They clearly have the talent to build a new "pillar" IP for MS.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Act 3 seemed to go on forever, fucking fantastic as it was. Are the other two Acts as long?

I love Gears but I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I am. It's right up there with UC4, Doom and DS3. It's a shame that I have to rush through it before selling my XB1. With a bit of luck there will be a Scorpio update for it next year to give me a nice excuse to play it again.

The Coalition went straight to being my favorite first party MS studio. This game gets everything about Gears right. Soon in Act 5, it´s been a really fun ride. Gameplay mechanics are tight, pacing is superb and the image quality is probably the best on Xbox right now. I haven´t even tried multiplayer yet, but based on the campaign I can already say new Horde mode has to be fantastic.

This really shows how clearly 343 dropped the ball with Halo for the single player mode. The contrast here is huge.

It would be great to see Coalition do a new IP in addition to being the new home for Gears. They clearly have the talent to build a new "pillar" IP for MS.

Was just thinking this as I went for my run! Am only in Act 3, so it is still early days, though unless the campaign totally shits the bed I can already tell come credits-roll, I am going to be wanting more. I do love Halo 5's gameplay, but Gears 4 has more personality, better characterization, and stronger narrative, than in anything 343i has put out. Frankly Halo 5 feels deflating in comparison, and almost without identity, where Gears 4 oozes charm and has a really strong presence.

As Jeff said, it's a bizarre feeling to be interested in the world of Gears and its characters, but that's genuinely the case here.

343i should defer to Rod and the Coalition for help.

cantona222

I was disapointed that there is no 4-player online campaign co-op like GOW3. I & 3 of my friends bought it thinking we can do that.

Jumeira

Banned

Absolutely agree, 343 nailed Halo multiplayer and should get alot of praise for modernising Halo without losing what it is, but they are still far behind the old games when it comes to single player, I have lost confidence in thier ability to make a breakout SP that Halo was renowned for.

Not the Coalition, they've got this confidence about them that they know they're good at carving out a great SP, everything I've played screams quality from veteran game devs, hard to believe this is thier first game.

MS have got some amazingly talented guys there, they should be grateful this experiment paid off, could be one of the industry greats.

Any idea what the population is like so far on PC?

I'm really enjoying it mostly playing social quickplay but sometimes it takes a good few minutes to find a game and often the games are partially bots.

J-Roderton

Do any multiplayer characters unlock through leveling up or do they only pop up randomly in cards or crafting? Same question for camos and stuff, too.

pitchfork

Fucking work hasn't let me get much time on this the past couple of days but got tomorrow off for a planned Horde night with my mates!

Gears and Beers and Horde just like the good ol' days : )

J-Roderton

Fucking work hasn't let me get much time on this the past couple of days but got tomorrow off for a planned Horde night with my mates!

Gears and Beers and Horde just like the good ol' days : )

Yeah for real. Having a Gears and Beers event tonight with my bud. Used to be a monthly tradition. Shit goes back to GoW1, man.

nOoblet16

Absolutely agree, 343 nailed Halo multiplayer and should get alot of praise for modernising Halo without losing what it is, but they are still far behind the old games when it comes to single player, I have lost confidence in thier ability to make a breakout SP that Halo was renowned for.

Not the Coalition, they've got this confidence about them that they know they're good at carving out a great SP, everything I've played screams quality from veteran game devs, hard to believe this is thier first game.

MS have got some amazingly talented guys there, they should be grateful this experiment paid off, could be one of the industry greats.
The studio is new, the developers aren't...most of them are likely industry veterans.

And here's the thing is 343 had no Bungie staff as far as I know, atleast no one important enough to head the direction of the game. The Coalition is headed by Rod....and this isnt his first Gears of War.

vrln

Neo Member
As Jeff said, it's a bizarre feeling to be interested in the world of Gears and its characters, but that's genuinely the case here.

343i should defer to Rod and the Coalition for help.

I never expected to find the story this entertaining either. The constant chatter between the team is so well done, makes progressing even through repetitive sections fun. And every time you start feeling like this is getting a bit stale the campaign throws in something different. Hard to believe this is a debut from a new studio. It has the same kind of confidence some "elite" developer´s (Blizzard, Naughty Dog, etc.) games have. Everything is just so polished and consistent.

This game also deserves points for well done AI. The enemies seem more strategically alive than usually in shooters and your own team is actually useful. The revive mechanic for example is actually adds to the game: if you want to do something risky it´s better to do it close to your teammates vs. going all alone (then your team will likely die before reaching to revive you).

343 got multiplayer right and updated the core gameplay very well to 60 fps, but the campaign has nothing on Gears 4. Hopefully they will work together in the future. Ideally Coalition could do the SP campaign on the next Halo... That would be so nice!

All in all it´s great to see the single player campaign part in AAA games get more love these days. Doom, this and if early previews are right even Battlefield One are quite a revival.

I was disapointed that there is no 4-player online campaign co-op like GOW3. I & 3 of my friends bought it thinking we can do that.

While I'd like to have seen it there, its been known since forever that it was going back to gears 1/2 style with only two player coop..Even MS demoed the game at e3 with only two people playing.

J-Roderton

All through cards, really bad imo.

I havent got any characters yet and I've played it for hours.

Bummer. I guess I'll grind away at trying to craft one of those Gears Soldiers since there doesn't seem to be a Carmine in there. Always been the skin I use online.

Not too interested in the camos here.

nOoblet16

I never expected to find the story this entertaining either. The constant chatter between the team is so well done, makes progressing even through repetitive sections fun. And every time you start feeling like this is getting a bit stale the campaign throws in something different.

Hard to believe this is a debut from a new studio. It has the same kind of confidence Blizzard/Valve games have. Everything is just so polished and consistent.
Again, the developers are not new, its only the studio that's new.

This game also deserves points for well done AI. The enemies seem more strategically alive than usually in shooters and your own team is actually useful. The revive mechanic for example is actually adds to the game: if you want to do something risky it´s better to do it close to your teammates vs. going all alone (then your team will likely die before reaching to revive you).

343 got multiplayer right and updated the core gameplay very well to 60 fps, but the campaign has nothing on Gears 4. Hopefully they will work together in the future.

Ideally Coalition could do the SP campaign on the next Halo... That would be so nice!

All in all it´s great to see the single player campaign part in AAA games get more love these days. Doom, this and if early previews are right even Battlefield One are quite a revival to the good old days.
What makes Gears campaign a Gears campaign is not what makes Halo campaign a Halo campaign. At this point 343 would still be more suited to make a Halo campaign than The Coalition because they have experience making Halo games. And as I said previously The Coalition had the advantage of Rod leading the team and Rod....is Gears of War ! Which is why Gears 4 campaign feels so true to the series.

nOoblet16

While I'd like to have seen it there, its been known since forever that it was going back to gears 1/2 style with only two player coop..Even MS demoed the game at e3 with only two people playing.
The problem with that is you always have atleast 3 people in the squad...and for the majority you have 4. So if they were trying to evoke Gears 1/2 feel they failed by having a third wheel.

vrln

Neo Member
Again, the developers are not new, its only the studio that's new.

What makes Gears campaign a Gears campaign is not what makes Halo campaign a Halo campaign. At this point 343 would still be more suited to make a Halo campaign than The Coalition because they have experience making Halo games. And as I said previously The Coalition had the advantage of Rod leading the team and Rod....is Gears of War ! Which is why Gears 4 campaign feels so true to the series.

Good points – the hires they did straight out of Epic seem to have paid off well. That being said, it´s still a remarkable achievement since most of the team are new to the series. Gears 4 was still a huge undertaking with AAA production values. The team may have some core people from the previous Gears games, but it´s still a large new group of developers.

I don´t know... There´s a certain level of polish and confidence in the campaign that just doesn´t exist in H5 even if you look past what a Gears or Halo game traditionally is. Hard to explain, but I´m getting the impression Coalition just gets overall single player campaign design better.

Strootman

giphy.gif

nOoblet16

Anyone find a use for the enforcer? It's effective range is so short it feels outclassed by the shotgun
The range is longer than a shotgun, it is most effective at a range just outside of shotgun's range. Very good for stopping players from closing in on you as it only takes 10 bullets and it fires really fast.

vort3x

This game is so unfair at times

Had active as well...

Ugh I feel your pain, I linked a vid earlier in the thread, I got killed by someone and the game shows on the screen that i did 100% damage to that player and he still was alive. I love this game but seriously guys its 2016 and this is the 5th gears game and they still cannot manage to get the shotgun consistency right. I used to think it was due to host issues that the shotgun wouldnt register but now we know its in the damn games code itself.

What you're having a good night? Let me ruin it for you by making majority of your shotgun shots for the next game invalid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soSAuQmckxw

Got 21 kills but still lost the game :(

I am loving the MP., I really did not like th king of the hill on gears 2-3, but for some reason I am loving KOH in GOW4. Plus, you get much more XP

theDeeDubs

Just finished my run of Gears 3 on XB1 and started 4 immediately after. It's crazy how easy they made Gears 3's Hardcore compared to 4's. Wasn't expecting 4 to be harder. Loving the game so far. Looks AMAZING too.

Jobbs

Banned
I am loving the MP., I really did not like th king of the hill on gears 2-3, but for some reason I am loving KOH in GOW4. Plus, you get much more XP

King of the hill is fun as long as your team is good. This mode with shitty team mates is particularly frustrating though.

This mode is really fun on gridlock. Sit back on the balcony with the hammer burst and just light up the fray.

King of the hill is fun as long as your team is good. This mode with shitty team mates is particularly frustrating though.

This mode is really fun on gridlock. Sit back on the balcony with the hammer burst and just light up the fray.

that is true, shitty players suck

Yeah I should do one of those tricks for getting rid of the hitching. I've also been staying away from ranked even though I'm advancing in the ranks, two days ago I played a bunch of ranked and never had a full match. It seems to take into account individual performance though because I trashed fools and ranked up.

Can it literally be ANY games?
360 games and XBLA games included?

I used Gears UE, Doom, Doom2, and SOTN

so yes arcade 360 titles work too. they are small games so thats why I used them, seeing as I only use my Xbox for playing Gears anymore I didnt have anything else installed and probably never will.

Kordelle

It takes ages to find and load a game and STILL in 90 percent of the matches I have a random skin instead of the one I "paid" for, wtf guys.

Jobbs

Banned
It takes ages to find and load a game and STILL in 90 percent of the matches I have a random skin instead of the one I "paid" for, wtf guys.

I think this is what happens if you get joined in after the match has started. If you stay until the next match you'll be switched to your chosen skin. I agree it's annoying af though.

Jumeira

Banned
The polish and attention to detail is mind blowing, just really makes encounters unique.

DKLURTF.gif

That banana slip back over cover diagonally is what i mean, games usually would have settled with the bodies hitting an invisible wall, not here. Wizards at Coalition, love you guys. Animation in general of destruction is beautiful.

dugdug

Banned
About halfway through the campaign, and, it definitely feels like The Coalition paid attention to The Last of Us with regards to environment detail. Many of the locations have an excellent atmosphere to them. Characters are so much more likable than the original crew, as well. Really loving it so far.

Jobbs

Banned
The game is fucking fantastic and I would say the best Gears game to date.*

*...Unfortunately we still need this asterisk because of all of the fucking hitching and freezing on XB1 in MP.

Xater

The game is fucking fantastic and I would say the best Gears game to date.*

*...Unfortunately we still need this asterisk because of tall of the fucking hitching and freezing on XB1 in MP.

I'm really disappointed that is still not fixed. It was introduced in the patch, you'd think it would be easier to track down.

About halfway through the campaign, and, it definitely feels like The Coalition paid attention to The Last of Us with regards to environment detail. Many of the locations have an excellent atmosphere to them. Characters are so much more likable than the original crew, as well. Really loving it so far.

lol what

Jobbs

Banned
I'm really disappointed that is still not fixed. It was introduced in the patch, you'd think it would be easier to track down.

Coalition has done an amazing job on both the MP and campaign side of things. It's rare to see such a complete product these days. I hope they are met with great success.

Top Bottom