• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Threw in the towel last night due to the hitching. Unplayable for me. On the sidelines until they fix it. A real shame too, totally love what they've done with the MP.

I don't have four games for the quick fix :(

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the Ultimate responses. I plan on playing with a group of friends and wanted to make sure the maps weren't limited to competitive only.

Yeah, if you play with friends its worth it since you can use any map in private horde matches.

I kind of regret getting the Ultimate as I'm not digging the MP and feel I'll get burnt out on horde with randos pretty quick. The early access hooked me as I wanted to play through the campaign last weekend. Hate stupid Tuesday regular releases as I do most of my gaming on the weekends and it sucks having to wait.

Threw in the towel last night due to the hitching. Unplayable for me. On the sidelines until they fix it. A real shame too, totally love what they've done with the MP.

I don't have four games for the quick fix :(

Go to Redbox, it'll cost you $8 for 4 games for one day.

Unless it's 4 digital games, not sure how that fix works...

A couple questions

1. Is the lag spike at the beginning of rounds normal?

2. Is sniping easier? I've had execution rounds where I got 4 headshots in a row and I am not that good

A couple questions

2. Is sniping easier? I've had execution rounds where I got 4 headshots in a row and I am not that good
Are you holding the back button to look at the scoreboard? That stops the timer. Not sure if that's what you are referring to

Ballistik

A couple questions

Lag spike.... do you mean your connection gets bad, your character teleports, bullets not coming out of your gun? Or do you refer to the screen freezing for half a second, the hitching.. because that is an issue with the game itself that has been spoken about in this thread since the last update.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
A couple questions

the lag spike is normal in that they know about it.

the fix at the moment is to open 4 other games then open Gears. It's something to do with the xbox cache.

Just started it. Done the prolog and first 4 chapters of act 1. Having a lot of fun, this is pretty epic. The sound is spectacular, need to make time to play this in my home theatre not just in my study with headphones.

Haines

Banned
Didn't know the open 4 game fix. Thanks

What's the best mp modes guys?

I'm liking execution. Escalation isn't bad but it can be a major time sink.

DarkStream

This is my first Gears. I'm enjoying the game play so far, I'm right at the end of Act 4.
How much longer is the campaign?

I'm also trying to get into MP, something that looked cool to me since Gears 1.
Any trick and tips for a beginner - Any beginner youtube videos out there?
I find it incredibly hard to get the hang of MP, I pretty much spawn and die instantly.

xion4360

The gaffer who does the DF videos had said somewhere that it's actually an animation issue, something about movement being handled at different speeds so it'll appear inconsistent on occasion. To paraphrase all to hell lol.

like the fire in the PC version? thats not it

if it were certain animations running lower then other things would still be visibly smooth. im talking about everything onscreen running at lower fps. The real time cutscenes just dont run at 30fps

Dosia

This is my first Gears. I'm enjoying the game play so far, I'm right at the end of Act 4.

I find it incredibly hard to get the hang of MP, I pretty much spawn and die instantly.

You just have to keep playing and you will get better. Learn the strategies other people use to kill you. I havent really played since gears 1, but when I first started I was god awful. After a week or two I got the hang of it and began actually contributing to my teams wins.

Are you holding the back button to look at the scoreboard? That stops the timer. Not sure if that's what you are referring to

Lag spike.... do you mean your connection gets bad, your character teleports, bullets not coming out of your gun? Or do you refer to the screen freezing for half a second, the hitching.. because that is an issue with the game itself that has been spoken about in this thread since the last update.
When the rounds start, there's always a spike in latency where it freezes for a sec and you're teleported to where you should be. It doesn't affect gameplay, it's just annoying

DarkStream

You just have to keep playing and you will get better. Learn the strategies other people use to kill you. I havent really played since gears 1, but when I first started I was god awful. After a week or two I got the hang of it and began actually contributing to my teams wins.

Wow, that's a steep learning curve! I play plenty of MP games, all genres, but this game just messes with me :)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but I attempted to get this game on PC today. It's the first thing I've ever purchased on the windows store. It took my money and when I click install tbe windows store just closes. Is there an easy fix for this or alternatively does Windows have a refund policy like Steam?

Hale_C

Haha, I've played ~8 hours of MP and have only just now learned that you can revive yourself by hammering space. I am probably simply a colossal moron, but don't remember this being communicated to me at any point by the game. I just assumed it worked the same way as in SP (never played gears multi before, obv).

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Haha, I've played ~8 hours of MP and have only just now learned that you can revive yourself by hammering space. I am probably simply a colossal moron, but don't remember this being communicated to me at any point by the game. I just assumed it worked the same way as in SP (never played gears multi before, obv).
It also allows you to crawl faster in DBNO.

Theorry

Some "action shots" :p

I wish Xbox recorded videos longer than 30 seconds, I would have captured footage from the same matches more that way. Have had games where I've done 100% of my kills via headshots, my kill count in these matches is usually lower than other matches obviously.

You can change the xbox record that length. I have it standard at 45 sec. :)
Go to settings and Gamedvr and streaming.

Gurrry

Ok, so I have played every single gears (minus Judgement) and this game is by far the hardest gears yet.

First of all, why are we forced to play ranked if we are in a group of more than 2? Me and my friends all play this game in a group, but we are all pretty fucking terrible. Terrible enough to be on equal footing with people in social quickplay, I can assure you.

All of us are either low-mid bronze or low silver. Each game we get, we are paired with people gold or higher. If youre going to force me to play ranked, atleast have the decency to match me with people of equal skill level.

The last time I checked my record, I was 5-18. I have a 0.6 K/D. And each time we play a game, I feel like I am put against people who have mastered this game already.

Do you think they will ever allow 5 man groups into Social QP? None of us want to play Ranked and I think its really stupid that they are forcing people to play it if you want to only queue up for a certain mode.

creatchee

This is a great video to help with the movement system

The best way to get better is to play and don't get discouraged. You're jumping into a specialized game that some people have been playing for ten years, so understand that you will see and have things done to you that you won't be able to comprehend at first. Just have fun, play, and try to analyze your successes and failures to prepare for each new engagement.

Also, make friends with the Gnasher. You will be using it the most of any gun BY FAR.

Miker

Anybody playing Horde today? It's my one day off in forever and I could probably play a full game, if we actually make it to 50. I'm a scrubby Gears player, though - the first one I've played since playing through the Gears 2 campaign probably 5-6 years ago.

ss_lemonade

Do nvidia redeemed codes include the 360/BC pack as well? I redeemed mine last night and checked the game out on my xbox this morning before leaving for work but I don't think I see anything else about receiving the past games.

Question: Can I take 2 local players into online Horde mode?

I've got a friend coming over to my place to hang on Saturday, but also have some friends in another state that might want to do some Horde mode that day.

Can my friend and I, using the same console, join other players online for Horde Mode?

Can't check right now since I'm at work, but I want to know in case it's worth grabbing a second controller on the way home. Asked thin on GameFAQs, but I trust you guys more and wanted to verify.

like the fire in the PC version? thats not it

if it were certain animations running lower then other things would still be visibly smooth. im talking about everything onscreen running at lower fps. The real time cutscenes just dont run at 30fps
Nope not the fire he was talking strictly about the characters animations during real time cut scenes it's in the gears 4 tech analysis thread here on gaf.

Moofers

Question: Can I take 2 local players into online Horde mode?

I've got a friend coming over to my place to hang on Saturday, but also have some friends in another state that might want to do some Horde mode that day.

Can my friend and I, using the same console, join other players online for Horde Mode?

Can't check right now since I'm at work, but I want to know in case it's worth grabbing a second controller on the way home. Asked thin on GameFAQs, but I trust you guys more and wanted to verify.

Yup, just like in Gears 3, your friend will have the same name as you but with a (1) after it.

xion4360

Nope not the fire he was talking strictly about the characters animations during real time cut scenes it's in the gears 4 tech analysis thread here on gaf.

but still its not just the characters, its everything. i dont know, it just stands out to me when it runs fine otherwise.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Again, the developers are not new, its only the studio that's new.

While this is true, being a new studio with people that don't have a lot of experience working together and to still pull off a game of this quality for the first real release of the studio is still impressive. Also, this is the first game, I believe, where Rod Fergusson wasn't an executive producer but the creative director.

Mifune

Mehmber
Gonna echo everyone's comments on the campaign. This is top tier stuff - exquisitely paced, written with personality, and polished to perfection. The narrative wisely keeps things simple and personal, yet accommodating to the varied locales, set pieces, and shootouts.

It's also the least dudebro game in the series. The characters have charm and ultimately you give a shit about them. The whole thing isn't weighted with this need to appear hardcore and gritty, unlike some of the earlier games.

It's pretty amazing what The Coalition have achieved their first time out of the gate.

Jobbs

Banned
Gonna echo everyone's comments on the campaign. This is top tier stuff - exquisitely paced, written with personality, and polished to perfection. The narrative wisely keeps things simple and personal, yet provides a ton of dazzling and atmospheric locales in which to stage shootouts.

It's also the least dudebro game in the series. The characters have charm and ultimately you give a shit about them. The whole thing isn't weighted with this need to seem hardcore and gritty like some of the earlier games.

It's pretty amazing what The Coalition have achieved their first time out of the gate.

I'm sounding like a broken record but they have outdone themselves. It needs to be highlighted when devs actually care about what they're doing and deliver such a complete product. There's a richness and authenticity to it.

Just a little bit of my built up cynicism for AAA games has been melted away as a result of buying this game.

I think people will be playing Gears 4 for quite a while.

GWX

Do nvidia redeemed codes include the 360/BC pack as well? I redeemed mine last night and checked the game out on my xbox this morning before leaving for work but I don't think I see anything else about receiving the past games.

I redeemed mine a week ago and no classic Gears codes have been sent to me. But plenty people are stilm waiting on them, so I wouldn't read too much into it. I don't think they'd go through the effort of segregating Nvidia codes to not give them the goods, but who knows. I'm going to contact Microsoft support tonight, but I'm not expecting much lol.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm sounding like a broken record but they have outdone themselves. It needs to be highlighted when devs actually care about what they're doing and deliver such a complete product. There's a richness and authenticity to it.

Just a little bit of my built up cynicism for AAA games has been melted away as a result of buying this game.

I think people will be playing Gears 4 for quite a while.

It's really a wonderful game. I'm not a huge fan of the series and I loved it completely. Especially that final act - my god.

Special nod to the sound design. Possibly the most powerful mix since the original Dead Space - although maybe that's because I played it LOUD. Also, I found Djawadi's music to be simple and effective; he has come a long way since Iron Man.

ss_lemonade

I redeemed mine a week ago and no classic Gears codes have been sent to me. But plenty people are stilm waiting on them, so I wouldn't read too much into it. I don't think they'd go through the effort of segregating Nvidia codes to not give them the goods, but who knows. I'm going to contact Microsoft support tonight, but I'm not expecting much lol.

Oh, so it goes out in batches too I guess. What's interesting is I bought the Gears of War 1 xbox one port as an Christmas gift for a relative last year and since he didn't need the past games, it was ok for me to play the game on my xbox initially to get access to the 360 collection. That was the end of November last year but I never received the keys. I even asked support and was told that I didn't meet the requirements (like playing the game before the end of 2015). I did receive a Gears of War 4 beta key much later, which I guess kind of proves that I did play the Ultimate Edition remaster last year.

Xyber

Would be nice if you could see any indication on how you are doing rank wise. I just notice I randomly go up, even though I haven't won many games because my team is garbage 75% of the time.

Top Bottom