• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

It's not just me seeing a £80 microtransaction in the store today is it? Don't get me wrong I'm loving this game but it really feels like these unlocks are price gouged, then they announce their special offer and that's the price?! Yeesh

Still the honeymoon phase (Only on Act 2 and level 4 in MP) but it sure feels good to play a solid Gears game again, it's really been lacking for me personally. Gears 1 was one of my favorite games of all time.

The 60 FPS in MP is a godsend. The X1 version is absolutely stunning looking as well, I'd give the SP a close nod to Uncharted 4 (I know some may call me crazy).

nOoblet16

I can never play KoTH, it's so tiring and long that I end up getting bored.

The one mode I enjoy the most is execution because that's classic gears, however playing too much TDM has made me somewhat reckless since I know I could just respawn if I make a mistake.

JimiNutz

Banned
The polish and attention to detail is mind blowing, just really makes encounters unique.

DKLURTF.gif

That banana slip back over cover diagonally is what i mean, games usually would have settled with the bodies hitting an invisible wall, not here. Wizards at Coalition, love you guys. Animation in general of destruction is beautiful.

Yeah I wasn't actually that impressed with the game graphically until I actually started playing it for myself.

Now im noticing so many nice little details and effects and it truly is a gorgeous looking game only slightly held back by old hardware.

Can't wait to see what Gears 5 looks like on Scorpio.

Jobbs

Banned
I can never play KoTH, it's so tiring and long that I end up getting bored.

The one mode I enjoy the most is execution because that's classic gears, however playing too much TDM has made me somewhat reckless since I know I could just respawn if I make a mistake.

KOTH can be the most frustrating mode, but on the other hand -- my best, most intense matches have all been KOTH. This game mode really encourages some intense battles and if the sides are closely matched it can really hit a fever pitch.

Gestault

LAN (I think?) co-op between XB1 and PC went beautifully. 60 fps with that lighting and detail is fantastic. I would look over to the XB1 version from time-to-time and be just as surprised how well it looks/performs at 30 fps.

The polish and attention to detail is mind blowing, just really makes encounters unique.

DKLURTF.gif

That banana slip back over cover diagonally is what i mean, games usually would have settled with the bodies hitting an invisible wall, not here. Wizards at Coalition, love you guys. Animation in general of destruction is beautiful.

Max Payne 3 did this in 2012. Far from mindblowing, it should be standard by now.

Do the graphics settings in the game not save for this game? I have to readjust them everytime I boot up (it defaults to Recommended every time, but I need to lower some settings so I can stream it smooth).

Tecnniqe

Banned
Ultimate Airdrop? Really?

$99.99 >.>

This super aggressive fee 2 play bullshit is getting to me now. Come on, wtf you doing >.<

At least be reasonable with the prices...

Ohman, i am having way more fun in the multiplayer compared to the campaign. The whole fast paced gnasher cqc that is going on is way more interesting and fun compared to the slow encounters it feels like the campaign entirely have consisted of so far.
Can I ask where you are in the campaign? Also you will be forced to move around a lot in some encounters!

Tecnniqe

Banned
get rid of that lottery BS, and just put the skins for sale. god damn it, this is ridiculous

I just entered the game, first thing that met me was this popup "message of the day" telling me about this GREAT LIMITED TIME OFFER...

I mean I already paid $100 for this game, the credits are still shitty and now you give me almost ads for shitty DLC practices in a $100 game, basically...

aBarreras

The game is fucking fantastic and I would say the best Gears game to date.*

*...Unfortunately we still need this asterisk because of all of the fucking hitching and freezing on XB1 in MP.

I'm really disappointed that is still not fixed. It was introduced in the patch, you'd think it would be easier to track down.

if you pay attention to the freaking thread, this was already addressed, just open 4 other games on xbox one, to clear the cache, and thats it, no more freezing.

Goddammit, I just launched the game for the first time and I get an error saying there is a driver update...My nVidia experience should have run it automatically. Now I have to wait for 350MB to download- which is much longer than you think given a 4MB connection...
I am annoyed because I already selected the auto option concerning drivers.

m23

They really need to fix the balancing on the credit system. They've already changed it a bit, but more needs to be done and hopefully soon.

Halo 5 does it well where you don't feel like it's forcing you buy packs since there are daily packs as well as gifting you a good amount of credits after each match. To be fair though, a lot of Halo 5 packs are disposable items and weapons for warzone. Halo does have a lot more customization variations compared to Gears' skins as well.

Off topic, is anyone else having issues with GAF loading slowly?

malfcn

I've played Gears since the beginning. But I've always wondered how everyone behaves in gnasher battles.

Pump the trigger, or hold it down?

xion4360

the game looks and runs fantastic on xbox one, but why am I getting cutscenes than run at a low framerate? is this the case for everyone? digital foundry noted smooth performance throughout but mentioned some people complaining about performance in spots. whats going on?

It's only during real time cutscenes, gameplay and pre rendered cutscenes run smooth.

They really need to fix the balancing on the credit system. They've already changed it a bit, but more needs to be done and hopefully soon.

Halo 5 does it well where you don't feel like it's forcing you buy packs since there are daily packs as well as gifting you a good amount of credits after each match. To be fair though, a lot of Halo 5 packs are disposable items and weapons for warzone. Halo does have a lot more customization variations compared to Gears' skins as well.

Off topic, is anyone else having issues with GAF loading slowly?

They have all the Halo 5 data. They know what works and what doesn't work. They'll rectify it soon.

UncleMeat

Had a mp match this morning as a swarm and there was a pretty good Cole on the other team and it was hilarious and awesome listening to him across the map. "That's three!!....THAT'S FOUR!!!" "Oh yeah, I need that!". You gotta love the Cole Train.

get rid of that lottery BS, and just put the skins for sale. god damn it, this is ridiculous

Ya, I'd buy a Hoffman skin and probably a couple others but I'm not going to just buy random loot and cross my fingers. I finally earned my first epic pack (or whatever the 3500cr is) and it was pretty terrible.

I'm assuming that MS and TC did their research and found that random loot was a much more profitable system. I'm happy to not have to buy map packs and split the community but if they're not going to sell specific character skins then I'll just let the whales fund the game. Hell I'd buy a "scrap pack" if they made one.

BrokenBox

Anybody not get their pre-order codes from Amazon yet? Contacted CS and they said my order wasn't eligible, but I think they're confused.

leeh

I've played Gears since the beginning. But I've always wondered how everyone behaves in gnasher battles.

Pump the trigger, or hold it down?
Pump the trigger, holding it down is a downfall. You need to line up your shot exactly before hitting the trigger.

Had a mp match this morning as a swarm and there was a pretty good Cole on the other team and it was hilarious and awesome listening to him across the map. "That's three!!....THAT'S FOUR!!!" "Oh yeah, I need that!". You gotta love the Cole Train.

Ya, I'd buy a Hoffman skin and probably a couple others but I'm not going to just buy random loot and cross my fingers. I finally earned my first epic pack (or whatever the 3500cr is) and it was pretty terrible.

I'm assuming that MS and TC did their research and found that random loot was a much more profitable system. I'm happy to not have to buy map packs and split the community but if they're not going to sell specific character skins then I'll just let the whales fund the game. Hell I'd buy a "scrap pack" if they made one.

what did you get on your epic pack? any good skins?

nOoblet16

At the fidelity and detail the game is running at combined the amount elements flying around nothing MP3 comes close.

MP3 still has more advanced physics based animations, and it's a last gen game..which was his point i.e. it should be common by now (and it kind of is, it's basically ragdoll, canned animations and contextual animation mixed in)

malfcn

So you need to launch 4 games?
Because if you manage the game, you can delete reserved space, presumably the cache.

I'll check it.

dugdug

Banned
its not a joke, it is a problem with the cache or something, launching 4 games, clears any info of gears 4 on the cache, and then the game is fixed

Nice, I'll try that tonight. Is it a permanent fix? Or just do that whenever I start seeing freezing?

Man the rankings seem really off in this game. I completed my placement matches for TDM last night. I got bronze 2. I played a few matches after getting ranked and they were so one sided. I had a match where one round my team didnt get a single kill, and another where we we only got 2.

UncleMeat

Dubz

My favorite Gears since 1. Great campaign, mp, and horde mode. I am a gigantic BF fan, and I decided to play this last night over BF1. That is fucking huge for me to a do that.

nOoblet16

Some "action shots" :p

PLr51My.gif

Oo2hedw.gif

LfB1yfA.gif

I wish Xbox recorded videos longer than 30 seconds, I would have captured footage from the same matches more that way. Have had games where I've done 100% of my kills via headshots, my kill count in these matches is usually lower than other matches obviously.

Well the legendary card was the color blasted swarm, which is good if you want to employ the Peter Griffin method I guess:

A Japanese and Great Britain emblem...no thanks. And a sniper skin (orange maybe?) and snub skin (tiger). I scrapped it all.

that is a good skin, I would take it

Moofers

For someone that will likely stick to Horde mode, is the Ultimate edition with season pass worth it?

I'm a Horde fanatic and I got with no regrets. Owning the maps isn't that big of a deal unless you play solo or with a group of friends all the time. Otherwise you'll get to see new maps as they go into rotation for public games anyway.

The 17 card packs you get for buying the ultimate edition are important though. I know, I'm not a fan of this random card shit, but Horde has you building classes and using these cards to do it. I recommend playing each class for a bit and looking at their skill sets, then settling on just one and scrapping all cards that don't apply to that class in order to create the ones you'll need. Maybe also unlock a character and/or weapon skill if any of them are important to you.

UncleMeat

I wish Xbox recorded videos longer than 30 seconds, I would have captured footage from the same matches more that way. Have had games where I've done 100% of my kills via headshots, my kill count in these matches is usually lower than other matches obviously.

If you snap game dvr you can have it stop recording up to the last 5 minutes I believe. I think you can also change the "xbox record that" time as well now.

Harpua

Thanks for the Ultimate responses. I plan on playing with a group of friends and wanted to make sure the maps weren't limited to competitive only.

Moofers

I don't really appreciate that the game has several performance issues that need to be fixed, but the team saw fit to utilize resources to launch a $99 gear pack today. The last couple of days, when I hit "A" at the main menu, it just hangs there for like 2 minutes while it tries to reach out to the server or something. That's ridiculous. That should be fixed before anything else. I also get some serious loading times when I'm just trying to do simple things like customize my characters as well. I shouldn't have to wait 30 seconds for the Lancer skin screen to drop back to the main weapon screen.

And while I'm at it, why don't they release class-specific card packs? Give me a chance to buy stuff for the class I want to play, and only that class. I talked about this yesterday, but I bought one of the $10 horde bundles which gave me 15 packs. When all was said and done and irrelevant cards were burned for scrap, I had a total of 9 cards that applied to my Engineer. So I paid $10 for 9 cards. That's not even enough to get one of my skills to level 5 from level 4 (requires 10 cards).

TC need to lay off the milking here and focus on providing a better experience for the players. I can only imagine the rage I'd feel after buying a $99 pack and having to burn 85% of the cards for 5 scrap each because they didn't apply to what I was trying to build.

kingwingin

They need to alter the loot a bit. Takes too long to buy an operations pack, let alone an elite.

Maybe instead of 500 coins every 5 levels they give out an operations case

the game looks and runs fantastic on xbox one, but why am I getting cutscenes than run at a low framerate? is this the case for everyone? digital foundry noted smooth performance throughout but mentioned some people complaining about performance in spots. whats going on?

It's only during real time cutscenes, gameplay and pre rendered cutscenes run smooth.
The gaffer who does the DF videos had said somewhere that it's actually an animation issue, something about movement being handled at different speeds so it'll appear inconsistent on occasion. To paraphrase all to hell lol.

Top Bottom