• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

No, Overwatch is way better. You basically get the best pack available int hat game after an hour of game time. No such luck here.

Except that you get complete shit in all of those packs. Especially now during the special events. I can guarantee you that they sell a lot of boxes during those events.

rubes7844

Banned
It's fucking beautiful

amOTi1Vl.jpg

Gonna echo everyone's comments on the campaign. This is top tier stuff - exquisitely paced, written with personality, and polished to perfection. The narrative wisely keeps things simple and personal, yet accommodating to the varied locales, set pieces, and shootouts.

It's also the least dudebro game in the series. The characters have charm and ultimately you give a shit about them. The whole thing isn't weighted with this need to appear hardcore and gritty, unlike some of the earlier games.

It's pretty amazing what The Coalition have achieved their first time out of the gate.

This is awesome to hear. I'm playing through Gears 3 for the first time via BC before starting 4 and it's REALLY starting to grate on me.

Don't care for just how much it was REALLY designed around coop play.

- Constant action with no real downtime. Shoot, shoot, shoot.... and then shoot some more. Becomes monotonous...
- Characters are now just one-liners.... like even more so than before and, I dunno, even for a Gears game, the writing is bland and not even remotely charming.

It's still a stunning game to look at though with some great setpieces

But yeah, can't wait to just start Gears4!

Voliko

Didn't know the open 4 game fix. Thanks

What's the best mp modes guys?

I'm liking execution. Escalation isn't bad but it can be a major time sink.

King of the hill because it forces people to actually make a move instead of having ridiculous stalemates where everyone hides in cover and I always make the first move. Escalation too I guess, although I don't like the competitive tuning

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Stop giving me cool lancer skins. I don't use the lancer. I use the hammerburst. Give me a hammerburst skin. >:|

Same here. I have 0 Hammerburst skins.

Speaking of the Hammerburst, this thing is mental. It's so powerful. It's hard to go to ranked from social when I've been destroying everyone with the HB.

Mifune

Mehmber
This is awesome to hear. I'm playing through Gears 3 for the first time via BC before starting 4 and it's REALLY starting to grate on me.

Don't care for just how much it was REALLY designed around coop play.

- Constant action with no real downtime. Shoot, shoot, shoot.... and then shoot some more. Becomes monotonous...
- Characters are now just one-liners.... like even more so than before and, I dunno, even for a Gears game, the writing is bland and not even remotely charming.

It's still a stunning game to look at though with some great setpieces

But yeah, can't wait to just start Gears4!

Well, to be fair, there's not a lot of downtime in 4, either. But they managed to wring an impressive amount of variety from the core mechanics and scenarios. 3 is the only one I haven't played.

RavenHawk

Regarding class skill "cards" in horde mode - are they "consumable? In other words, if I upgrade the engineer's barrier cost reduction card, does it go away at the end of the session, or is this something that you just keep adding to over time?

Wubbys

Regarding class skill "cards" in horde mode - are they "consumable? In other words, if I upgrade the engineer's barrier cost reduction card, does it go away at the end of the session, or is this something that you just keep adding to over time?
Keep adding to. double health double damage scout makes things a lot more manageable lol.

Moofers

Stop giving me cool lancer skins. I don't use the lancer. I use the hammerburst. Give me a hammerburst skin. >:|

They would, but there's only four of them so they gotta make sure they don't just go giving them out. :p

Seriously, there are too many weapons that only have 4 skins, including their default.Skins also need to have their own currency too because I have a hard time letting myself buy the ones I want when I've got all those damn Horde skills competing for resources.

Also, the beta reward skins/costume are lame and sort of baffling. What's "vintage" about them? Because they're like cheap fake gold that has turned green over time? The flaming weapons from the Gears 3 beta were a million times more badass.

jackdoe

I'm dying a lot in the prologue on insane as I'm getting shot through cover, i.e. I'm glued to cover and getting hit, even though I have higher ground and none of my extremities are poking outside of cover. Is this normal?

Strootman

It's really a wonderful game. I'm not a huge fan of the series and I loved it completely. Especially that final act - my god.

Special nod to the sound design. Possibly the most powerful mix since the original Dead Space - although maybe that's because I played it LOUD. Also, I found Djawadi's music to be simple and effective; he has come a long way since Iron Man.
The final act is some goty shit. I want more of that in the next gears.

xviper

just finished the campaign, really loved the game, the final boss is the best in the series in my opinion, the biggest problem with the game is that the
first 2 acts you fight the horrible and boring robot enemies

Horde and Multiplayer is trash as always

i hope in Gears 5 they make a huge different between 4 and 5 like in Halo

just finished the campaign, really loved the game, the final boss is the best in the series in my opinion, the biggest problem with the game is that the

Where is the real xviper and what did you do to him D:

aBarreras

fight me irl

xviper

Where is the real xviper and what did you do to him D:

i never said the game is gonna be garbage, i said it won't be as good as people think, and i was right, but honestly i'm really glad that Gears 4 has surpassed my expectations. even though it didn't do much new, but it was still fun

i was never a fan of Multiplayer since Gears 1, it's just a shotguns game based on luck

never liked Horde, probably because there is a far much better co-op game exist, Cod Zombies

Strootman

i never said the game is gonna be garbage, i said it won't be as good as people think, and i was right, but honestly i'm really glad that Gears 4 has surpassed my expectations. even though it didn't do much new, but it was still fun

i was never a fan of Multiplayer since Gears 1, it's just a shotguns game based on luck

never liked Horde, probably because there is a far much better co-op game exist, Cod Zombies
Sorry but no.

vac

Neo Member
wow the gnasher is so fucking slow. I don't understand why they continually try to gimp what made the original so popular. Movement is the smoothest it's ever been but there's a delay before you can shoot so what's the point.

Also matchmaking is slow as balls for me, 3+ mins. For months after UE launched the MM was near instant. It's a shame the population is almost dead now, in EU at least.

Still, the ol' rollback is still fooling people
laugh.gif

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/BoC xCarnage/video/22416839

Based on luck... Yeah, no. Especially not now when it's running on dedicated servers.

aBarreras

1- you were right MY ASS,

2- yup as Andy Moogle said, you are bad a the game

3- you are nuts if you think cod zombies is better

Voliko

wow the gnasher is so fucking slow. I don't understand why they continually try to gimp what made the original so popular. Movement is the smoothest it's ever been but there's a delay before you can shoot so what's the point.

Also matchmaking is slow as balls for me, 3+ mins. For months after UE launched the MM was near instant. It's a shame the population is almost dead now, in EU at least.

Still, the ol' rollback is still fooling people
laugh.gif

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/BoC xCarnage/video/22416839
ya, the delay has had me screaming at the TV more than once

Addnan

Chat should not default to global. Guy on other team kept writing out what he will do to kill me (leader). Was pretty funny.

Xyber

So much luck in this vid, multiplayer is shit.

Nice

Chat should not default to global. Guy on other team kept writing out what he will do to kill me (leader). Was pretty funny.

Speaking of the chat, is it just me or does the fucking chat button change at random? Sometimes I bring it up with T, other times I have to press U for some unknown reason? Sometimes it also won't work at all. There's usually a 2 second delay before my message shows up as well.

Top Bottom