• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Inconsistent shotguns, stacked teams and rubbish teammates, this is Gears alright.

If you're playing social, the teams aren't stacked.

Seriously, the designers of the Swarmak fight are just the worst. Like they probably had a rough childhood or something because WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?

Contemplating switching to Normal because this shit just can't stand.

There are two boomshots in that room and at least two mulchers. Use them.

Swarmak on Hardcore is the worst thing I've played all year. Bar none.

Moves like crazy so you can't shoot the blisters, once you get a shot, a million fucking locusts (i'm calling those fuckers locusts) decide to shoot at you and you're down in seconds, juvies flush you out, and they're EVERYWHERE so you'll die once you reach either the Mulcher which I used up all my primary ammo to kill for and to use it on no one else, or stick my neck out for the torque bow or the boomshot IF i make the shot at the blisters. I hate this part, I hate this part, I hate this part.

It's just one example of what I hate so much in video games where the solution to a set piece is to pounce on the players with numbers. It comes off as cheap and lazy and it single handedlly what I thought was a pretty good game. Like turned it from an 9 out of 10, to a 6 out of 10.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Moves like crazy so you can't shoot the blisters, once you get a shot, a million fucking locusts (i'm calling those fuckers locusts) decide to shoot at you and you're down in seconds, juvies flush you out, and they're EVERYWHERE so you'll die once you reach either the Mulcher which I used up all my primary ammo to kill for and to use it on no one else, or stick my neck out for the torque bow or the boomshot IF i make the shot at the blisters. I hate this part, I hate this part, I hate this part.

It's just one example of what I hate so much in video games where the solution to a set piece is to pounce on the players with numbers. It comes off as cheap and lazy and it single handedlly what I thought was a pretty good game. Like turned it from an 9 out of 10, to a 6 out of 10.

It's actually a very easy set piece. I did it solo on hardcore. Use the boomshots and mulchers and stay at choke points like the walk ways when fighting locust and juvees

Leyasu

Banned

Sorry man but that fight was easy.

Go upstairs for the three or four electric things then destroy the blisters. Then grab the boomshot for the throat blister. I died twice solo hardcore.

Madness

Intimidated to play MP. Amazon Canada ruined launch day and week for me. People have probably alredy poopsocked and learned the maps and weapons and will destroy me.

TMWNN35

Some swarmak protips.

Each generator exposes 2 blisters, it takes 7 destroyed blisters to kill him.
After you destroy the 2nd generator, enemies spawn, same again on the 3rd and 4th.
After you destroy the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generator the game will save a checkpoint and on reloading that checkpoint any blisters you destroyed will still be destroyed.

So to beat it easy, after each generator blows, kill any enemies that spawn and any blisters you can see before destroying the next generator. the game will save your progress and it will be much easier.

If you rush the 4 generators without killing the enemies the waves will stack on top of each other and it gets overwhelming.

Move about and use the power weapons.

After you destroy a blister the swarmak will usually fire a rocket volley at you so make sure to take cover behind something solid before tackling the next one.

Good luck.

Seriously, the designers of the
Swarmak
fight are just the worst. Like they probably had a rough childhood or something because WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?

Contemplating switching to Normal because this shit just can't stand.

I found it ok if you stick to the elevated platforms when you're hitting it. There's boomers and other power weapons stuck to the ceiling that you can shoot down. It's pretty difficult for the
Swarmak
to hit you if you stay behind those areas and only rush down to shoot the magnetic coil towers and then rush back up. When you want to switch to another, wait for your team mates to distract it and rush to the next.

Eh that boss fight wasn't too hard. I didn't even die playing on Hardcore and I'm a noob at shooters.

I just chilled up on one of the catwalks taking shots at the bad guy. Marcus was beside me covering my back and the other two were at ground level cleaning up the extras.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drewfonse

Not to sound non-constructive or anything but ARE YOU FUCKERS ON CRACK?

Seriously it's just a titanic of a fight. Can't get a shot off anything.

They may well be on crack. It probably helps their reflexes, which is making it an easy fight for them.

Maybe you should smoke crack and then try the sequence again?

Just thinking out loud here.

Iceman829

Had a pretty good Horde round with Iceman and some other guys. Made it to round 46 but then sadly couldn't get past that. Still good effort guys!

Thanks for giving it a shot earlier. It was my first time as engineer so it was interesting. Our random didn't really pick up the slack, but everyone did a good job

loki0wn

Worth the pickup if I want to do local coop with the wife? We both enjoy the Firefight mode in Halo, but never done Horde before. I would never play pvp.

vort3x

Who wants Rockstar codes? (For free I should add) I unlocked the skins and so I would only be getting XP for the following codes, so I prefer letting you guys get the exclusive skins. I quoted the guy that provided the links to where you submit the codes.

I'll take codes if you have then please. I need two more.

Xyber

Would be nice if the game actually told you anything when you ranked up, I got to Onyx 1 in TDM yesterday, played like 2 more games and quit. Now that I started it back up I'm apparently Onyx 2. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How's the PC community so far?

In EU all playlists but Social and TDM are really hard to find any games in. Sometimes you can find KotH too.

Right now it took me 4 minutes to find a TDM game at 11PM.

Not sure if it's been posted or not but if you are looking to do co-op Campaign on Insane you can have one person play on Casual while the other sets it to Insane. For both to get the achievement you'll have to go back and redo any sections where you had separate difficulties but there are only a few sticking points that you should have to redo.

Would be nice if the game actually told you anything when you ranked up, I got to Onyx 1 in TDM yesterday, played like 2 more games and quit. Now that I started it back up I'm apparently Onyx 2. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In EU all playlists but Social and TDM are really hard to find any games in. Sometimes you can find KotH too.

Right now it took me 4 minutes to find a TDM game at 11PM.

I really like the game but im not confident of it having any lasting community of a decent size on PC, not for versus. I've just been sticking to social but even then you can wait ages for a game or end up in one of mostly bots.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Not sure if it's been posted or not but if you are looking to do co-op Campaign on Insane you can have one person play on Casual while the other sets it to Insane. For both to get the achievement you'll have to go back and redo any sections where you had separate difficulties but there are only a few sticking points that you should have to redo.

Oh, wow. I knew Gears 2 (and Gears 3?) let you do that, but I didn't realize Gears 4 kept that. Awesome!!

How do you get the rockstar pack stuff? I redeemed the code Ballistik sent me and it said it would be in the store, but there's nothing there

The website gives you the store codes (they supposedly let you redeem it on the site since it's connected to XBL but it never worked for me), so I used the codes it gave me and put them in myself on the XBL store (the code redemption page of the store).

UncleMeat

Had a 16-0 dodgeball game last night, probably my best round of gears. I've basically been walking around the house shouting to myself like this all week; just substitute "game" for "band". I don't care if I'm in a honeymoon period, I'm going to enjoy it.

Matty8787

I have a gaming pc while my brother has an Xbox one... If I was to put my gamer tag on his xbox and set it to home console then proceeded to buy the game, he could install it onto his profile on the Xbox and I could play with him from my pc right?

aBarreras

I have a gaming pc while my brother has an Xbox one... If I was to put my gamer tag on his xbox and set it to home console then proceeded to buy the game, he could install it onto his profile on the Xbox and I could play with him from my pc right?

yes, any account on your "home xbox" can play your games

Xyber

I really like the game but im not confident of it having any lasting community of a decent size on PC, not for versus. I've just been sticking to social but even then you can wait ages for a game or end up in one of mostly bots.

Yeah, MS really killed the game on their own on PC and I would not be surprised if a lot of people at Coalition think it's really shitty they are stuck with the game only on the Windows store after all the care they put into this version. This game deserves so many more sales, but I don't see it happening with the current situation.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hey, I'm not complaining. lol

I'm just saying, it's the same old Gears. Personally, I think the social solution in this game is really poor.

I think it's brilliant. I love that I can go into a playlist that's made to have a higher population due to its simplicity and it won't be swarming with stacked teams just looking to pub stomp.

what's the alternative, have an entire new list of modes for solo players? that further segregates the playerbase and nobody wants that.

Exactly. That's what COD tried to do. And it was garbage.

Robot Pants

Really gotta hand it to The Coalition.
They made an outstanding game. It looks AMAZING through and through and feels just like Gears. I'm floored and haven't been this happy with a Gears game since 1.
Hats off

Right I still can't play campaign co op online, i get kicked to the menu every time and if im host so does my mate.

We bought the game to play this together but we can't even get the game to start the story mode, is there any solution for this?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Really gotta hand it to The Coalition.
They made an outstanding game. It looks AMAZING through and through and feels just like Gears. I'm floored and haven't been this happy with a Gears game since 1.
Hats off

I haven't been this happy with ANY game in more than a year

Is there just no drop-in to fill spots for Horde in matchmaking?

Sadly no. And quitters are abundant.

what's the alternative, have an entire new list of modes for solo players? that further segregates the playerbase and nobody wants that.

I think it's brilliant. I love that I can go into a playlist that's made to have a higher population due to its simplicity and it won't be swarming with stacked teams just looking to pub stomp.

I don't have an alternative.

However, I don't think having a playlist - the only one in the game that has rolling lobbies - that never guarantees you your mode of choice is a good solution.

In the end, you've got a social playlist where you won't always play what you want.

You've got a core playlist that is infested with stacked teams and a competitive playlist dedicated to just two hardcore modes.

There's got to be a better solution than that.

Strootman

Too many fucking OP weapons in this game. Too many. Goddamn it.

The dropshot is the shittest of all. I mean wtf, at least nerf it on competitive.

Top Bottom