• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Jumeira

Banned
I think Hardcore is the perfect difficulty. Not unforgiving but still challenging. I'm on Act 3 and I'm having an incredible time with the Games AI, some really good feedback from the enemies that have thrown me off. I'll try to post a gif of an example from a few days ago.

Seems like another game where solo players can get matched against fully stacked teams, what a joke.

Gnasher seems so damn inconsistent compared to UE, it's the same shit as in the beta. Drop them twice point blank, they'll down you in one. Ughhhhhh..

Really enjoyed what I've played of Versus so far. There's been a few Gnasher inconsistencies here and there but it's a real blast to play. The bots are hilarious as ever. I joined a game where Kait was absolutely demolishing the other team of human players.

I also had my first few attempts at Escalation and quite enjoyed it. My first game was a little frustrating as the game didn't seem to care it was 4 v 5 and just started anyway. But I do enjoy the build up as more power weapons are placed on the map and the locations move around. The wait times didn't seem too long either but Social Versus definitely seems to be the best option if you just want to find a game ASAP.

I still need to try out Horde mode. I definitely get the feeling I'm going to be playing this game for a long time.

vort3x

That bloody turret to destroy in act 4 ahhhhhhrghh

Is that the one with the wind flare where you have to lob bombs?

I honestly don't know why people are having problems with that. My brother and I did it and he too was having a hard time aiming the bombs properly. He eventually gave up and was like fuck it you do it. I jump on and did in probably my 5th - 6th shot after I got the angle right.

keidashxd

The difficulty spike from hardcore to insane seems pretty huge. I started on insane and had to turn it down cause I couldn't finish the prologue, but hardcore is a little too easy.

Isn't it? I barely died 10 times the whole campaign... didn't try insane (a few days earlier I finished the harcdore campaign on gears ultimate and I died like ten more times).

Hardcore seemed like the best difficulty. It's quite challenging in a few places solo but not annoyingly hard. I've beaten all the previous games on Insane by myself but I doubt I'd be able to beat Gears 4 on my own.

JimiNutz

Banned
Pretty sure the highest rank you can get after placements is Silver 3.

The skill based ranking is, in my experience, completely broken.

My win/loss ratio is 0.4 and my K/D is 0.8. I am getting absolutely annihilated in every game and somehow I'm ranked Silver 2 in every mode?

Not only that but it won't rank me down?!
What the fuck? This isn't fun. I can't do anything against these players. I'm constantly bottom and constantly losing..why won't it rank me down to play with people of equal skill? It's broken.

First game of Escalation.... Team just lost 7-0
Granted thats a placement match but still...

vac

Neo Member
Anyone wanna play KotH today? I'm in GMT, xbox.

Playing with randoms is an exercise in frustration.

Also, the shock grenades are OP as hell. Complete are denial, slow, ministun?, huge aoe. I swear they're more effective than frags.
Starting ammo for gnasher is too low too. Spend half my fights scavenging for ammo =p

Your character counting your kills is a fun addition like in this clip;
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/BoC xCarnage/video/22431579

I wish my gnasher always worked this well, it's not even an active:
TKxx7O2.gif

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'd say gears 3 is second best. Both story and MP. This so far is better in both regards.

I would agree that Gears 4 is the best Gears so far (which is an amazing achievement). However, Gears 3 had the arcade mode and 4 player co-op, which I think Gears 4 needed. Now I understand the thinking behind 2 player co-op, but I think the solution for both is with the arcade mode. If the Coalition wants to keep the "main story" to two players, then allow the arcade mode to incorporate 4 players. Have the extra 2 players be generic Gears if you have to, kind of like how Halo 3 did it.

I expect more options like that for Gears 5, along with more changes, but this game is the BEST way a new studio could have revived a franchise. Rod and the Coalition know what they are doing.

So, I'm halfway through the campaign, and on the whole I'm enjoying it, but I do have one issue with the writing; it's a little too self-aware. Characters complaining about how they hate the Juvie sound, characters talking about how they're learning to beware big doors, that sort of thing. There's no edge to it (inb4 "OwtheEdge.jpg"). As a player, those are perfectly fine reactions. The Juvie noise means that Juvies are en-route, which is not great because screw those little bastards. Big doors mean big fights, so it makes sense for me to be all "oh man this is gonna be tough." But the characters should have a little more... investment in the proceedings. For them, this should be at least a little more personal, scarier really, than is coming through.

Is this going to be a trilogy or an ongoing narrative going forward? Halo 4 was going to be the launch point of 343's trilogy, but I don't think they'll be able to wrap up their story by Halo 6. They may try to, but I get the sense that the writers wrote themselves into a corner.

Not actually true. H4 was a bridging chapter, H5 was the start of the "new Halo saga," which isn't supposed to only be 3 entries long.

Ein Bear

Any impressions on how the game runs in split screen on XO? My friend's coming round tonight and we're going to attempt the Insane campaign.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Agreed about the Horde stuff without friends -- randoms have no fucking idea what's going on -- not letting Scouts collect the power, soldiers building up foritidications when there's 2 engineers on the team, etc. Does the average person not take a few scant seconds to read class descriptions and skills? Fucking bizarre.

Raxus

Playing randoms in Horde mode is a test in patience I swear.

Agreed about the Horde stuff without friends -- randoms have no fucking idea what's going on -- not letting Scouts collect the power, soldiers building up foritidications when there's 2 engineers on the team, etc. Does the average person not take a few scant seconds to read class descriptions and skills? Fucking bizarre.

I had someone build 5 sentries on me. Here I am struggling to make something useful.

PC here: The game suddenly closed at the beginning of the game after beating the crab monster with the Hammer weapon (where you lock in with a red laser and the monster gets hit from above). I worry it is my CPU. This is my benchmark, is it something with the system or just a fluke with the game? I am also using a dualshock to play it- if that matter:

Gears Of War
Gears Of War 2
Gears Of War 3
Gears Of War: Judgement

Codes for Xbox 360 or backwards compatibility via Xbox One going free!

Rules -

- One game per individual
- Be considerate to your fellow members, only take if you don't already have, are broke etc
- Quote this post with your choice of game
- First come first serve, I will check back in an hour and dish them out via PM

Xater

I had a match where an engineer built 15 barriers. Why?

The best part was probably how terribly inefficient he was. Using two barriers for what could have been one if he would have just blocked of the patch after the two entrances.

Also repaired everything every round, so we had no energy at all. At some point me and DutchSlayer just hoarded our energy so we could bring it all back at once and buy actually useful stuff.

Raxus

I had a match where an engineer built 15 barriers. Why?

The best part was probably how terribly inefficient he was. Using two barriers for what could have been one if he would have just blocked of the patch after the two entrances.

Also repaired everything every round, so we had no energy at all. At some point me and DutchSlayer just hoarded our energy so we could bring it all back at once and buy actually useful stuff.

Was probably going for the 50 fortifications bounty but even then I dunno why he repaired them.

Ushay

Gears Of War
Gears Of War 2
Gears Of War 3

Rules -

- Be considerate to your fellow members, only take if you don't already have, are broke etc

I personally don't need this, but this is very cool of you Dave!

aBarreras

i think i know how they can make the credit system better.

they should give you extra credits for the medals you got, for example MVP should give you 10 credits, best kill ratio 10, the one who killed the most 5 credits, the one who died the least 5 credits, or something like that.

i mean i was mvp on a warzone match, playing like 20 minutes, and the credits given for my performance were 6... ARE YOU FUCKING KIDING ME?

Fordy

Gears Of War
Gears Of War 2
Gears Of War 3

Rules -

Gears of war 3 would be brilliant. Thanks.

Gears Of War
Gears Of War 2
Gears Of War 3

Rules -

I wouldn't mind Gears 2

i think i know how they can make the credit system better.

they should give you extra credits for the medals you got, for example MVP should give you 10 credits, best kill ratio 10, the one who killed the most 5 credits, the one who died the least 5 credits, or something like that.

i mean i was mvp on a warzone match, playing like 20 minutes, and the credits given for my performance were 6... ARE YOU FUCKING KIDING ME?

This is a good idea. I think you should post it on the Gears forums cause the Coalition looks at that a lot

Leyasu

Banned
Been playing all afternoon. Fucking game is amazing! The ranking seems to be doing it's job and I have been getting matched up with people of similar skill.

Also, for the other Eurotrash gears players on here, I created a club..

UKEUgearsGAF. Get on there people

Post update as a couple of games gone.

Gears Of War

Rules -

- Quote this post (or the old one) with your choice of game

Jobbs

Banned
The game is overall very impressive on XB1 but man is it jarring going from 60 fps multiplayer to the very choppy seeming 30ish fps of the campaign.

So I am trying to play local coop on PC but it says it failed to create the game? I haven't been able to connect to the servers at all.

I also saw there is a message saying I need a Xbox Live Gold account, surely this isn't needed to play online?

Ugh so finally got a coop game in progloue but the guy I am playing with is on insane while I am on hardcore and he just keeps dying all the time.

Post update as a couple of games gone.

Gears Of War

Rules -

- Quote this post (or the old one) with your choice of game

I wouldn't mind having Gears 1 if it's still up for grabs :)

Leyasu

Banned
oh sorry, I thought you were referring to a gaf thread.

I play on pc, can't seem to find it on the xbox app. maybe its an xbox 1 thing only?

Seems like it is just for the xbone then..

Fucking itching to get back on when the kids have gone to bed later. After hating all the previous gears versus, I am addicted to this one. It is even keeping me away from horde.

Top Bottom